This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1905 New York Giants Team (formal)

1905 New York Giants; 105-48, .686, 9 g ahead, (WS W 4-1 over A's)---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top L-R: George "Hooks" Wiltse (P), Bill "Boileryard" Clarke (1B/C), Frank Bowerman (C), Christy Mathewson (P), Dan McGann (1B), Joe McGinnity (P).

Middle L-R: Fred R. Knowles (Secretary), Sammy Strang (2B/RF), Leon "Red" Ames (P), Offa Neal (IF), Mike Donlin (CF), Art Devlin (3B), Claude Elliott (P).

Bottom L-R: Billy Gilbert (2B), Sam Mertes (LF), Luther "Dummy" Taylor (P), John McGraw (Mgr.), Roger Bresnahan (C), Bill Dahlen (SS), George Browne (RF).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• 1905 New York Giants Team - Polo Grounds
      A larger redo/update of post #29.

1905 New York Giants; 105-48, .686, 9 g ahead, (WS W 4-1 over A's)---BB Reference (photo taken at the Polo Grounds. CF behind them, notice the flag.)---Player identifications courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL) and Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

L-R: Sam Mertes (LF), Bill 'Boileryard' Clark (1B/C), George Browne (RF), Hooks Wiltse (P), Art Devlin (3B), Claude Elliott (P), Dan McGann (1B), Mike Donlin (CF), Bill Gilbert (2B), Dummy Taylor (P), Billy Dahlen (SS), Sammy Strang (2B/RF), Joe McGinnity (P), mascot, Roger Bresnahan (C), Red Ames(P), John McGraw (Mgr.)
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mollylawless
        These photos are absolutely amazing, thanks so much for posting them. Is there any chance you have a higher-resolution scan of that 1916 Indians team panorama? I'm currently researching Ray Chapman for a book and am particularly trying to track down images. This is one photo I hadn't seen before.
        Glad you've enjoyed them mollylawless!
        Ironically, I'm working on a better version of that picture. It's in my "On-Deck" file folder of unedited pic's. I'll be posting the whole image soon but here's a slice of that pano (with Ray) that I just edited:

Originally posted by Bill Burgess
        Is it technically possible to enlarge a photo with absolutely zero distortion? Not simply to sharpen, but to preserve all the infinitely minute details while simultaneously making everything much larger?

Is this a technically challenging procedure?
        Originally posted by BSmile
        Actually Bill, I've just tracked down much better/larger, original state versions of some of these pics (including the '16 Indians pic). So I'm not really working any special magic as such (strictly in regard to resizing up). Although, I have found some photos that are HUGE, that I've then resized down to a merely extremly large size (which of course, looks great!). There isn't really a way to greatly enlarge a photo without losing details, keeping perspective in mind. Like if you're looking at a good billboard from a distance, looks good and sharp/normal. Get right on top of it...and now you're staring at large pixels and blobs of color. You get the idea....
        Cheers! ~B
        That's what I thought. Just wanted to assure myself that you hadn't developed your own secret formula and were holding out on us.
        Originally posted by mollylawless
        Beautiful! Thanks so much, BSmile.
        Last edited by BSmile; 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• 1916 Cleveland Indians Team
          As promised, a new, larger version of post #10. I love how Tuck Turner was crudely cut/paste into the photo back then. I wonder who he covering up? Not to mention that the person who did it put him in backwards! Anyways...Larry the Dog rules!

1916 Cleveland Indians; 77-77, .500, 6th place, 14 g behind---BB Reference

L-R: Laz Garrett (P), Tuck Turner (IF), Lee Fohl (Mgr.), Bobby Roth (RF), Ray Chapman (IF), Bill Wambsganss (SS), Elmer Smith (RF), Joe Evans (3B), Guy Morton (P), Bill Mitchell (P), Tris Speaker (CF), Josh Billings (C), Larry Chappelle (LF), Jack Graney (LF), Tom Daley (C), Jim Bagby (P), Ed Klepfer (P), Herbert Kelly (P), Stanley Coveleski (P), Ivan Howard (2B), Steve O'Neil (C), Chick Gandil (1B), Rip Hagerman (P), Fritz Coumbe (P).
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-13-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• 1911 St. Louis Browns Team
            A larger redo/update of post #7. More to come!

1911 St. Louis Browns; 45-107, .296, 8th place, 56.5 g behind---BB Reference

L-R: Jack Powell (P), Danny Hoffman (CF), Frank LaPorte, (2B), Patrick Newnam (1B), Barney Pelty (P), Earl Hamilton (P), Joe Crisp(C), Jim Murray (RF), Jeff Pfeffer (P), Gus Williams (LF), Joe Willis (P), Joe Lake (P), Bill Bailey (P), Frank Truesdale (2B), Al Schweitzer (RF), Ed Hallinam(IF), Paul Krichell (C), Bobby Wallace (SS/Mgr.), Jim Stephens (C), Burt Shotten (CF), Nig Clarke (C), Jimmy Austin (3B), Howie Gegory (P), Roy Mitchell (P), McAuley, Lefty Joe George (P), Dode Criss (1B)

Originally posted by Babefan
            I think you are getting the hang of this "repair" thing you are doing with the panoramics . (grin)
            Thanx Babefan! Larger images to play with coupled with some new techniques have brought some fairly satisfying results. Sadly, I have to drop the resolution a bit on most of them so I can post them here...oh well. It would be nice to have at least a 2MB limit per picture...

Comment

• 1910 Cleveland Naps Team
              A larger redo/update of post #5 which was listed as "Indians" when "Naps" is actually the correct name. How did I/we miss that?! Cheers! ~B

1910 Cleveland Indians; 71-81, .467, 5th place, 36.5 g behind---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

L-R: Phil Cooney (IF), Jack Graney (OF), Nig Clarke (C), Neal Ball (SS), Simon Nicholls (SS), Roger Peckinpaugh (SS), Fred Link (P), George Perring (3B), Bill Bradley (3B), Spec Harkness (P), Nap Lajoie (2B), Elmer Koestner (P), George Stovall (1B), Addie Joss (P), Deacon McGuire (C), Cy Falkenburg (P), Boice, Cy Young (P), Walt Doan (P), Art Kruger (LF), Willie Mitchell (P), Heinie Berger (P), Bris Lord (OF), Ted Easterly(C), Harry Bemis (C), Joe Birmingham (CF), Terry Turner (SS).
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-10-2009, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• 1937 All-Star Game First Pitch From FDR - Washington DC
                OK, you can't actually see FDR...but this image (for me) really captures the spirit of old school baseball. I started to remove all the imperfections from this pic, but got bored (not that it's so bad). I have a hard time trying to name the players...only Joe McCarthy really stands out to me...and a very young Johnny Mize (24)

Looks like Carl Hubbell standing next to Mize and Lou Gehrig in the back next to the right side edge with a smile on his face.
                Originally posted by GaryL
                Here's a few more possibilities:

Going from left to right:

Looks like Pepper Martin, partially obstructed by the first camera; then Jimmy Foxx, just behind the camera with the bulb; looks like Doc Cramer next to Foxx; Ernie Lombardi, full face with "Redlegs" visible on uniform; Bucky Walters, full face, with Phillies uniform visible.

The little guy with the Pirates uniform is probably Paul Waner; then the last four guys in the group going after the ball: Wes Ferrell, with "W" on sleeve; probably Carl Hubbell; Johnny Mize; and Rick Farrell with two hands in front ready to catch, also with "W" on sleeve.

The guy standing in full view with the Detroit unifrom is probably Gee Walker (the other Detroit players on the team were Charlie Gehringer, Hank Greenberg, and Tommy Birdges, and I don't think this guy is any of them); then the guy in the A's uniform is probably Wally Moses (as he was the only A's player on the team); then Lou Gehrig, and Joe McCarthy.

Can anybody dig out any more?

The guy stretched way out going for the ball right in the middle, and the guy behind him also going for the ball are teammates as they have the same uniform on. Is that "Browns" or possibly "Giants"? Can anyone make out what uniform this is? If we can get that, we can probably identify these two guys.

Comment

• American League Park, Huntington Ave., Boston, Mass., Boston vs. New York, Oct. 8, 1904, attendance 28,040
                  A gigantic redo of post #81...

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                  One word.....excellent, I feel as though I'm at the park, in that time.
                  I will add this one to my parks folder.
                  I'm so glad that this image has been brought back to life. Sadly...MY "real" version is approx. 5MB, so I had to really compress it to be able to post it here at BBF. Therefore...my version (that I can't post) actually looks much, much sharper than this one.
                  Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                  Yes a problem here at BBF, limiting the size of attachments,lose some clarity.
                  If you try breaking it up into 5 pieces, and using photo-bucket, which allows up to 1 mega-byte file size, you might be able to post it, putting the 5 pieces side by side.
                  WOW!!!! I think that about covers it .....
                  Last edited by BSmile; 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• 1909 St. Louis Browns Team

1909 St. Louis Browns, 61-89, .407, 7th Place, 36 g behind---BB Ref---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

L to R: Art Greggs (1B), Bill Dinneen (P), Jack Powell (P), Bill Bailey (P), Al Schweitzer (OF), unidentified, Danny Hoffman (CF), Bill Grahame (P), Tom Jones (1B), Jimmy McAleer (Mgr.), Lou Criger (C), George Stone (OF), Roy Hartzell (OF), Barney Pelty (P), Jim Stephens (C), Jimmy Williams (2B), Bobby Wallace (SS), Wib Smith (C), Harry Howell (P), Rube Waddell (P), Jack McAleese (OF).
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• 1910 St. Louis Browns Team

1910 St. Louis Browns; 47-107, .305, 8th place, 57 g back---BB Reference

L-R: Dode Criss (1B/P), Ed Kinsella (P), Jack Gilligan (P), Joe Lake (P), Art Griggs (utility), Phil Stremmel (P), Ray Demmitt (RF), Bill Killefer (C), Red Fisher (OF), Roy Hartzell (3B), Al Schweitzer (OF), Jim Stephens (C), Jack O'Connor (Mgr.), Bobby Wallace (SS), Frank Truesdale (2B), Bill Abstein (1B), Bill Grahame (P), Rube Waddell (P), Sled Allen (C), Bill Bailey (P), Danny Hoffman (OF), Jack 'Red' Powell (P).
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-03-2009, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• 1913 Philadelphia Athletics Team

1913 Philadelphia Athletics; 96-57, .627, 6.5 games ahead, (WS W 4-1 over Giants)---BB Reference
                        Champions of the World

L-R: Vanzelt (mascot), Doc Lavan (SS), Wally Schang (C), Joe Bush (P), Bob Shawkey (P), Harry Davis (1B), Byron Houck(P), Weldon Wyckoff (P),Billy Orr (SS), Frank 'Home Run' Baker (3B), Carroll 'Boardwalk' Brown (P), Eddie Plank (P), Charles 'Chief' Bender (P), Connie Mack (Mgr.), Ira Thomas (C), Herb Pennock (P), Amos Strunk (CF), Rueben 'Rube' Oldring (LF), Eddie Murphy (RF), Danny Murphy (RF), Jimmy Walsh (LF/CF), Jack Lapp (C), John 'Stuffy' McInnis (1B), Jack Barry (SS), Eddie Collins (2B), Tom Daley (OF).
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• 1911 St. Louis Cardinals Team

1911 St. Louis Cardinals; 75-74, .503, 5th place --BB Reference

L-R: Slim Sallee (P), Grover Lowdermilk (P), Roy Golden (P), Ed Konetchy (1B), Bill Steele (P), Eddie Higgins (P), Bob Harmon (P), Ed Zmich (P), Bunny Hearn (P), Ody Abbott (CF), Lou Lowdermilk (P), Otto McIver (OF), Roger Bresnahan (Mgr.), Wally Smith (IF), Steve Evans (RF), Jack Bliss (C), Rube Geyer (P), Rebel Oakes (CF), Mike Mowry (RF), Hap Morse (SS), Arnold Hauser (SS), Miller Huggins (2B).
                          Last edited by BSmile; 12-20-2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• 1914 Pittsburgh Rebels Team

1914 Pittsburgh Rebels (Federal League); 64-86, .427, 7th place, 22.5 g behind---BB Reference

L-R: Jimmy Savage (utility), 'Doc' Harry Gessler (Mgr.), Rebel Oakes (CF), Harry Camnitz (P), Doc Kerr (C), Ed Lennox (3B), Tex McDonald (OF/2B), Cy Barger (P), Walt Dickson (P), T. Roberts, Mysterious Walker (P), Ed Henderson (P), Jim Scott (SS), Hugh Bradley (1B), Willie Adams (P), Mike Menosky (OF), Elmer Knetzer (P), Jack Lewis (2B), Claude Berry (C), Clarence 'Skipper' Roberts (C), Ralph Mattis (OF), Cy Rheam (OF), Davy Jones (LF), Smallwood (trainer), Savroe, Oyeds, Howie Camnitz (P).
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BSmile; 12-30-2014, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• 1913 Washington Senators Team

1913 Washington Senators, 90-64, .584, 2nd place, 6.5 g behind---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

L-R: Martin (trainer), Germany Schaefer (utility), Merito Acosta (OF), Jack Calvo (OF), Eddie Foster (3B), Ray Morgan (2B), Clyde Milan (CF), Clark Griffth (Mgr.), Frank LaPorte (utility), Nick Altrock (coach/P), Howie Shanks (LF), Jack Bernard Ryan (coach), Joe Boehling (P), Danny Moeller (RF), Edie Ainsmith (C), Rip Williams (utility), George McBride (SS), Bert Gallia (P), Jim Shaw (P), Joe Gedeon (utility), Harry Harper (P), Joe Engel (P), Chick Gandil (1B), Tom Hughes (P), Bob Groom (P), Walter Johnson (P), (Jay) Carl Cashion (P), Germany Schaefer (again)! (utility)

Originally posted by Railsplitter
                              How on earth did Germany Schaefer get in there twice? I can't see where the photo was split
                              Simplicity itself, my dear Watson.

The photographic equipment of that day was set on a tripod. It slowly panned from left to right. After the camera had left the far left side, the player at the end of the line would run behind the camera man and position them self at the far right side of the line.

So, when the camera got to that spot, it recorded the same guy. Ty Cobb used to enjoy pulling that exact same stunt. Thought he was clever, he did.

Understand?
                              Last edited by BSmile; 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• 1928 New York Yankees; 101-53, .656, 2.5 g ahead, (WS: W 4-0 over Cardinals)---BB Ref---Pictured at Navin Field where they clinched the pennant, September 30, 1928.

Top Row, L-R: Babe Ruth (RF), Tony Lazzeri (2B), Bill Dickey (C), Pat Collins (C), George Pipgras (P), Ben Paschal (OF), Mark Koenig (SS), Al Shealy (P), Bob Meusel (RF), Johnny Grabowski (C), George Burns (1B), Fred Heimach (P), Harry Mathews (coach), Lou Gehrig (1B).

Middle Row, L-R: Doc Albert A. Woods (trainer), Joe Dugan (3B), Mike Gazella (3B), Charlie O'Leary (coach), Miller Huggins (Mgr.), Art Fletcher (coach), Benny Bengough (C), Gene Robertson (3B).

Bottom Row, L-R: Tom Zachary (P), Cedric Durst (OF), Leo Durocher (SS), Eddie Bennett (mascot), Myles Thomas (P), Hank Johnson (P), Rosey Ryan (P)
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-18-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X