This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSmile-Amazing, simply amazing, thank you. :bowdown:
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• 1937 All-Star Game - July 7 - Washington D.C.
      I really love this picture, so I played around with coloring it (from a great b&w copy). Fully colorizing the grandstands etc. would be nearly impossible, so this is what I have thus far. Anyways, from left to right:Lou Gehrig, Joe Cronin, Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Charlie Gehringer, Jimmie Foxx & Hank Greenberg

Originally posted by Babefan
      BS the colorized pic is awesome. Great job and I like the mix of the sepia and the color. 2 questions for ya now. Do you have any other colorized pics you can post? When do we get to see a colorized panoramic?
      Originally posted by BSmile
      Thanx Babefan!
      I do have several pics on the backburner in various stages of completion...when they're ready, I'll post them...hopefully soon (including some pano's).
      Cheers! ~B
      Originally posted by Melottfan
      BSmile:

Great job on the 1937 All-stars photo. I take thos guys any day on my team! Keep up the good work!
      Last edited by BSmile; 03-25-2014, 09:10 PM.
      Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• 1912 World Series panoramic

I found this on line. Does anybody know where a better copy can be found?
        Attached Files

Comment

• 1911 Brooklyn Dodgers Team
          And a HUGE redo of post #1...I love this pic!

1911 Brooklyn Dodgers; 64-86, .427, 7th place, 33.5 g behind---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL) and Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

L-R: Jake Daubert (1B), unidentified, Eddie Zimmerman (3B), Dolly Stark (IF), unidentified, Bob Coulson (RF), Zack Wheat (OF), Pat Ragan (P), Nap Rucker (P), Bill Bergen (C), Otto Miller (C), Bill Davidson? (CF), Sandy Burk, Bill Dahlen (Mgr.-SS), Bill Schardt (P), George Bell (P), unidentified, Tex Erwin (C), Cy Barger (P), John Hummel (2B), Raleigh Aitchison, Bert Tooley (SS), Jud Daley? (OF), unidentified, Pryor McElveen (IF), Al Burch (OF).

Originally posted by GaryL
          Great job, BSmile!

That 1911 Brooklyn picture is fantastic...that has to be the best in the entire collection. Since this is the picture that started us off, I'm going to spend time on it to get some more names. In addition to Wheat and Rucker, off the top of my head I see Jake Daubert, Otto Miller, Bill Dahlen, Hy Myers.

Dolly Stark is on this team...he became a well known umpire after his playing days. I'll try to locate him for sure.
          Originally posted by bmarlowe
          ---

Dolly Stark - 4th from left
          QUOTE=Melottfan;1513447]To GaryL:

True Dolly Stark did play for the Superbas. But I believe you're mistaken him
          for the NL umpire of the 1920's-1930's. Dolly Stark the player was shot to death at a watering hole(saloon?, during prohibition?), which he owned, on December 1, 1924 in Memphis TN. He is buried in Elmwood Cemetary in Memphis. His first name was Monroe. The NL umpire, "Dolly" Stark's first name was Albert. He died at 71 on August 24, 1969 in New York City.[/QUOTE]
          Originally posted by GaryL
          You're right...I wasn't aware of that...Thanks a lot for pointing it out.
          Actually no. It's a bit confusing though...from baseball-reference:

Los Angeles Dodgers (1958 - 2009)
          Brooklyn Dodgers (1911, 1912, 1932 - 1957)
          Brooklyn Robins (1914 - 1931)
          Brooklyn Superbas (1899 - 1910, 1913)
          Brooklyn Bridegrooms (1888 - 1890, 1896 - 1898)
          Brooklyn Grooms (1891 - 1895)
          Brooklyn Grays (1885 - 1887)
          Brooklyn Atlantics (1884)

So technically, they were the first team called the "Brooklyn Dodgers"
          Last edited by BSmile; 10-07-2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Who is this?

Can you guys name the team and any of the players?

The guy closest to us (the viewer) - 4th from right for guys with faces we can see - he's Bob Groom. Played for StL AL 1916 and 1917. The military marching should date this to 1917, further confriming what Dauntless Dave found.
            Looks like the St. Louis Browns...probably around WWI (late teens)
            Or is it the Cardinals?
            Originally posted by Bill Burgess
            Looks like the St. Louis Browns, 1916-26. It's not the Cardinals. The Cards never had Sox like that.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Whoa!

If you can get by the color can you tell who these teams are?

Looks like the Washington Senators from 1908.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• 1948 Boston Braves Team

1948 Boston Braves, 91-62, .595, 6.5 g ahead, (WS: L 4-2 to Indians)--- BB Ref

Top Row, L-R: Ernie White (P), Clyde Shoun (P), Johnny Sain (P), Frank McCormick (1B), Earl Torgeson (1B), Al Lyons (P), Bobby Sturgeon (2B), Bill Salkeld (C), Jeff Heath (LF).

Middle Row, L-R: Dr. Charles Lacks (trainer), Red Barrett (P), Mike McCormick (OF), Connie Ryan (2B), Bill Voiselle (P), Vern Bickford (P), Johnny Antonelli (P), Bobby Hogue (P), Nels Potter (P), Bob Elliott (3B).

Bottom Row, L-R: Phil Masi (C), Clint Conatser (OF), Sibby Sisti (IF), Bob Keely (coach), Johnny Cooney (coach), Billy Southworth (Mgr.), Freddie Fitzsimmons (coach), Tommy Holmes (RF), Warren Spahn (P), Si Johnson (batting practice pitcher), Al Dark (SS), Young (club attendant).
                Batboy: Charlie Chronopoulos
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-06-2009, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• "Who is this?"

"Can you guys name the team and any of the players?"

Here's that same St. Louis Browns photo on the 1918 TSN Record Book

The guy closest to us (the viewer) - 4th from right for guys with faces we can see - he's Bob Groom. Played for StL AL 1916 and 1917. The military marching should date this to 1917, further confriming what Dauntless Dave found.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-05-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• 1949 Brooklyn Dodgers Team

Comment

• 1905 New York Giants Team (formal)

1905 New York Giants; 105-48, .686, 9 g ahead, (WS W 4-1 over A's)---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top L-R: George "Hooks" Wiltse (P), Bill "Boileryard" Clarke (1B/C), Frank Bowerman (C), Christy Mathewson (P), Dan McGann (1B), Joe McGinnity (P).

Middle L-R: Fred R. Knowles (Secretary), Sammy Strang (2B/RF), Leon "Red" Ames (P), Offa Neal (IF), Mike Donlin (CF), Art Devlin (3B), Claude Elliott (P).

Bottom L-R: Billy Gilbert (2B), Sam Mertes (LF), Luther "Dummy" Taylor (P), John McGraw (Mgr.), Roger Bresnahan (C), Bill Dahlen (SS), George Browne (RF).
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• 1905 New York Giants Team - Polo Grounds
                        A larger redo/update of post #29.

1905 New York Giants; 105-48, .686, 9 g ahead, (WS W 4-1 over A's)---BB Reference (photo taken at the Polo Grounds. CF behind them, notice the flag.)---Player identifications courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL) and Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

L-R: Sam Mertes (LF), Bill 'Boileryard' Clark (1B/C), George Browne (RF), Hooks Wiltse (P), Art Devlin (3B), Claude Elliott (P), Dan McGann (1B), Mike Donlin (CF), Bill Gilbert (2B), Dummy Taylor (P), Billy Dahlen (SS), Sammy Strang (2B/RF), Joe McGinnity (P), mascot, Roger Bresnahan (C), Red Ames(P), John McGraw (Mgr.)
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mollylawless
                          These photos are absolutely amazing, thanks so much for posting them. Is there any chance you have a higher-resolution scan of that 1916 Indians team panorama? I'm currently researching Ray Chapman for a book and am particularly trying to track down images. This is one photo I hadn't seen before.
                          Glad you've enjoyed them mollylawless!
                          Ironically, I'm working on a better version of that picture. It's in my "On-Deck" file folder of unedited pic's. I'll be posting the whole image soon but here's a slice of that pano (with Ray) that I just edited:

Is it technically possible to enlarge a photo with absolutely zero distortion? Not simply to sharpen, but to preserve all the infinitely minute details while simultaneously making everything much larger?

Is this a technically challenging procedure?
                          Actually Bill, I've just tracked down much better/larger, original state versions of some of these pics (including the '16 Indians pic). So I'm not really working any special magic as such (strictly in regard to resizing up). Although, I have found some photos that are HUGE, that I've then resized down to a merely extremly large size (which of course, looks great!). There isn't really a way to greatly enlarge a photo without losing details, keeping perspective in mind. Like if you're looking at a good billboard from a distance, looks good and sharp/normal. Get right on top of it...and now you're staring at large pixels and blobs of color. You get the idea....
                          Cheers! ~B
                          That's what I thought. Just wanted to assure myself that you hadn't developed your own secret formula and were holding out on us.
                          Originally posted by mollylawless
                          Beautiful! Thanks so much, BSmile.
                          Last edited by BSmile; 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• 1916 Cleveland Indians Team
                            As promised, a new, larger version of post #10. I love how Tuck Turner was crudely cut/paste into the photo back then. I wonder who he covering up? Not to mention that the person who did it put him in backwards! Anyways...Larry the Dog rules!

1916 Cleveland Indians; 77-77, .500, 6th place, 14 g behind---BB Reference

L-R: Laz Garrett (P), Tuck Turner (IF), Lee Fohl (Mgr.), Bobby Roth (RF), Ray Chapman (IF), Bill Wambsganss (SS), Elmer Smith (RF), Joe Evans (3B), Guy Morton (P), Bill Mitchell (P), Tris Speaker (CF), Josh Billings (C), Larry Chappelle (LF), Jack Graney (LF), Tom Daley (C), Jim Bagby (P), Ed Klepfer (P), Herbert Kelly (P), Stanley Coveleski (P), Ivan Howard (2B), Steve O'Neil (C), Chick Gandil (1B), Rip Hagerman (P), Fritz Coumbe (P).
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-13-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• 1911 St. Louis Browns Team
                              A larger redo/update of post #7. More to come!

1911 St. Louis Browns; 45-107, .296, 8th place, 56.5 g behind---BB Reference

L-R: Jack Powell (P), Danny Hoffman (CF), Frank LaPorte, (2B), Patrick Newnam (1B), Barney Pelty (P), Earl Hamilton (P), Joe Crisp(C), Jim Murray (RF), Jeff Pfeffer (P), Gus Williams (LF), Joe Willis (P), Joe Lake (P), Bill Bailey (P), Frank Truesdale (2B), Al Schweitzer (RF), Ed Hallinam(IF), Paul Krichell (C), Bobby Wallace (SS/Mgr.), Jim Stephens (C), Burt Shotten (CF), Nig Clarke (C), Jimmy Austin (3B), Howie Gegory (P), Roy Mitchell (P), McAuley, Lefty Joe George (P), Dode Criss (1B)

Originally posted by Babefan
                              I think you are getting the hang of this "repair" thing you are doing with the panoramics . (grin)
                              Thanx Babefan! Larger images to play with coupled with some new techniques have brought some fairly satisfying results. Sadly, I have to drop the resolution a bit on most of them so I can post them here...oh well. It would be nice to have at least a 2MB limit per picture...
                              Last edited by BSmile; 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• 1910 Cleveland Naps Team
                                A larger redo/update of post #5 which was listed as "Indians" when "Naps" is actually the correct name. How did I/we miss that?! Cheers! ~B

1910 Cleveland Indians; 71-81, .467, 5th place, 36.5 g behind---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Mark Fimoff (bmarlowe).

L-R: Phil Cooney (IF), Jack Graney (OF), Nig Clarke (C), Neal Ball (SS), Simon Nicholls (SS), Roger Peckinpaugh (SS), Fred Link (P), George Perring (3B), Bill Bradley (3B), Spec Harkness (P), Nap Lajoie (2B), Elmer Koestner (P), George Stovall (1B), Addie Joss (P), Deacon McGuire (C), Cy Falkenburg (P), Boice, Cy Young (P), Walt Doan (P), Art Kruger (LF), Willie Mitchell (P), Heinie Berger (P), Bris Lord (OF), Ted Easterly(C), Harry Bemis (C), Joe Birmingham (CF), Terry Turner (SS).
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-10-2009, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X