X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 7, 1946 - World Series Game 2 - Sportsman's Park - St. Louis
    Cardinals beat the Red Sox: 3-0
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• 1882 Metropolitan Baseball Nine (NY)
      I love this picture, but I'm not quite sure about the history of this team. I did find a team with this name that played in the Amer.Assoc. from 1883-87. Could this be that team before the league formed in 1883?

1882 Metropolitans---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top Row, L-R: Jack Lynch (P), Charlie Reipschlager (C/OF), Tip O'Neill (P/OF), Eddie Kennedy (LF), John Clapp, John Doyle, Frank Hankinson (3B), Steve Brady (OF/1B).

Bottom Row, L-R: Tom Mansell, Terry Larkin, Candy Nelson (SS), Long John Reilly.

Originally posted by GaryL
      In David Nemec's "The Beer and Whiskey League" there's a woodcut of this 1882 photo with all the players identified.

Standing, left to right: Jack Lynch, Charlie Reipschlager, Tip O'Neill, Eddie Kennedy, John Clapp, John Doyle, Frank Hankinson, Steve Brady.

Seated left to right: Tom Mansell, Terry Larkin, Candy Nelson, Long John Reilly.

The caption also says: "A woodcut of the 1882 New York Mets, the year before they joined the American Association. Destined to be the team's greatest AA stars - though not with the Mets - were O'Neill and Reilly. Destined to have the most tormented life was Larkin, who shot his wife in 1883 and then tried to end it all by slitting his throat. Eleven years later, in a second suicide attempt, he succeeded."
      Originally posted by BSmile
      Great info GaryL!
      That does it, I've GOT to pick up a copy of "The Beer and Whiskey League".
      Cheers! ~B
      Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• 1885 National Base Ball Club of Washington, D.C.
        Here's another great team picture that is also confusing. I find no record of a Washington Nationals team in the Amer.Assoc. in 1885, but there is one for 1884 that has Barr & Gladman on it. Thoughts?

1885 Washington Nationals; not a ML team.---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top Row, L-R: Coox (C), Chris Fulmer (C), Abner Powell (RF), Baxer (1B), Jimmy Knowles (2B), Bill White (SS).

Bottom Row, L-R: Buster Hoover (CF), Buck Gladman (3B), Mike Scanlon (Mgr.), Bob Barr (P), Ernie Burch (LF), Hank O'Day (P).

Great picture with incredible quality for a picture from that era!

That's Hank O'Day, the fututre umpire, in the bottom right corner. The Baseball Encyclopedia lists him as being on Washington in the National League for the season 1886. So maybe this is the team the year before it was admitted into the National League.
        Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• 1930 Homestead Grays Team
          Spring Training, March 30, 1930

---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).---Identification from "Black Baseball in Pittsburgh" by Lester & Miller

Here's a little information on that 1930 Homestead Grays photo from the Negro League Baseball Players Association:

"This team includes Cum Posey (top row far right), Hall of Fame player-manager Judy Johnson (top, second from right), Smokey Joe Willliams (top, fourth from right) and Oscar Charleston (bottom row far right). Also included is Bennie Charleston (first row, second from right) Oscar's brother, in the only year he played in the Negro Leagues. Credit in the lower right identifies the photographer as Harrison of Hot Springs Arkansas. This photo was taken while the Grays were in Spring Training in 1930. This team defeated the Lincoln Giants in a 10-game playoff for the Eastern championship."

Josh Gibson and Ted "Double-Duty" Radcliffe joined the Homestead Grays in 1931 and many consider that to be the best Negro League team of all-time.
          Top Row L-R: Charlie Walker Jr., Raymond "Mo" Harris, William Ross, Buck Ewing, Smokey Joe Williams, George Scales, Judy Johnson, Cum Posey.

Bottom Row L-R: Vic Harris, Jake Stephens, Oscar Owens, Lefty Williams, George Britt, Bennie Charleston, Oscar Charleston.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Milwaukee County Stadium - June 30, 1954
            Nice view from the 3rd base side!
            Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• 1922 Washington Senators Team

1922 Washington Senators; 69-85, .448, 6th Place, 25 g behind---BB Ref---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top, L-R: Slim McGrew (P), Eric Erickson (P), Walter Johnson (P), George Mogridge (P), unidentified, unidentified, Ossie Bluege (3B), unidentified, Tom Zachary (P), Val Picinich (C), unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Clyde Milan (Mgr.), Howie Shanks? (IF), Joe Judge (1B), unidentified, Patsy Gharrity? (C), Roger Peckinpaugh, Bucky Harris (2B), unidentified, unidentified, unidentified.

Bottom, L-R: Sam Rice (CF), unidentified, Goose Goslin (LF), Donnie Bush (SS), Nick Altrock (Coach).

Originally posted by Railsplitter
              I don't know why, but I always thought Walter Johnson was taller. Even in all of his non-team photos, he looks taller than 6'1
              Last edited by BSmile; 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Mickey Mantle Day - September 18, 1965
                A great picture from the 1st MM Day. The other was on June 8, 1969 when they retired his No.7
                In the background is Mickey's wife Merlyn, one of his sons and Bobby Kennedy.
                Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• East-West Game - August 23, 1936 - Comiskey Park, Chicago
                  Perhaps the coolest Negro League picture I've ever found...
                  Click Here To See Full-Sized
                  Last edited by BSmile; 05-13-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• (Lefty) Tyler Day, Boston National League Grounds. Sept. 30th 1913
                    I don't have a lot of details about this panoramic, but what a great picture it is! Obviously, this picture was taken outside the ballpark on the special day held for "Lefty" George Albert Tyler, who was one of the main three pitchers the following year on the World Championship 1914 (Miracle) Boston Braves team. Cheers! ~B
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BSmile; 09-29-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• 1936 New York Yankees - "The Italians"---Tony Lazzeri, Jake Ruppert, Joe DiMaggio, Frankie Crosetti.
                      The dynasty continues.....
                      Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Moose, Minnie, Nellie & Mickey.
                        How's that for some names! Haha...taken on July 24, 1957

Originally posted by hellborn
                        Say...look at that bat!!!
                        It appears that Nellie stuck second base in his cheek, too.
                        :cap:
                        Great photo!

Seeing Nellie made me think of "Jungle" Jim Rivera in "Where Have You Gone, Vince DiMaggio?" Jim was just another working stiff at the time of his interview, and he's shown staring forlornly out of his apartment window in the photo accompanying it. Jim spoke at length about how much he missed his great friend Nellie, who had died before he reached 50. Jim didn't seem like a guy who just sat around feeling sorry for himself, just one whose glory days were long past and didn't even have his best friend from that time around to reminisce with. Very poignant portrayal.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BSmile; 03-01-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• 'It's All Right, Lou' - Lou Gehrig Returns - June 21, 1939
                          A pristine shot of Lou on the bench with McCarthy, plus the actual press release from the back of that picture.
                          Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Gehrig watches Crosetti cross the plate - Fenway Park, Boston - 1936
                            Here's a great/large/pristine picture of Frank Crosetti scoring against the Red Sox in 1936. None other than Lou Gehrig looking on with two bats in his left hand. That's the infamous Moe Berg catching for the Red Sox. I don't know the umpire though...
                            Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Farewell Yankee Stadium!

Billy & Mickey - 1952 World Series - Yankee Stadium
                              What can I say about this classic picture...there will never be another Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle or Yankee Stadium. Well, there will be another Yankee Stadium...but it won't be the same.
                              Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• St. Louis Cardinals Team - Spring Training - 1930's
                                I don't have any specifics for this great photo. In fact, when I found it, it was attributed as simply being a baseball team from the 1920's. Obviously it's the Cardinals (unis)...and obviously that is Dizzy Dean standing two places to the left of the man with the suit & tophat (on the bridge). I would take a guess that this is a spring training photo originating from Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was in pretty bad shape when I found it...so I brought it back to life as much as possible. Cheers! ~B

Originally posted by Bill Burgess
                                Wow, BSmile. Great photo of the Cardinals. I have narrowed it down to either the 1930 or the 1932 team. Dizzy was on both teams. If you notice the guy in the top left, with his arms crossed and his cap on the side of his head? Only one guy ever wore his cap in such a silly fashion, and that was Sunny Jim Bottomley. Sure enough, Jim was on the team 1930-32. But Dean was not on the 1931 team. Right below Bottomley sits Frankie Frisch. Standing between Bottomley and the gentleman in the 10-gallon hat is manager, Gabby Street. Below Frisch looks a lot like Pepper Martin.
                                Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X