This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-Timer's Day - Shea Stadium - June 23, 1963
    I really wish that all these Old-Timer's were filmed. Hank Greenberg in a full Tigers uni...how classic!

Old-Timers Day: June 23, 1963, Polo Grounds. L-R: unidentified, Joe McCarthy, Hank Greenberg, Bill Dickey, Frankie Frisch, Zack Wheat, Max Carey, Sam Rice, Carl Hubbell, Casey Stengel. The NL beat the AL in 2 innings, 8-0. (New York Times, June 23, 1963, pp. 158.)

Originally posted by GaryL
    Great pic, BSmile!...I love Old-Timers Day shots! And this is a real good one!

I can't believe how "young" Edd Roush looks. And I wonder why he has a Giants uniform on (especially a SF Giants uniform) instead of a Reds uniform.

Great job on the identifications, too (Bill...was that you?). That Cardinal does look like Hornsby, but I agree...it's definitely Frisch. Hornsby died in January '63 (I think I mentioned before that I met Hornsby a couple times in the early '60's...he was friends with my grandfather and they used to go the the Arlington Park Race Track together).
    Originally posted by Bill Burgess
    I only listed what the photo in the New York Times gave. In fact, I don't think that looks like Edd Roush at all. It could be Giants' manager, Al Dark.
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Ty Cobb - April 1931 - San Francisco, CA
      The Georgia Peach Goes To Work On The Apple
      Here's a wonderful, large-scale picture of Ty at an exhibition in 1931. I get the feeling that he was STILL the best hitter in the entire park that day...even in a suit and dress shoes. Included is the original backing tag to the photo.
      Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• 1926 Detroit Tigers Team
        I don't know the specific year of this great team portrait. The only info I have is that it's the Tigers and Ty was the manager at time. So I listed 1921-1926. I'm guessing that this is a question easily answered by the BBF faithful. (Looks like 1926 seems to be the answer)

1926 Detroit Tigers; 79-75, .513, 6th Place, 12 g behind---BB-Reference---Player identifications provided by Gary Livacari (GaryL), and Bill Burgess.

Top Row: L-R: Johnny Neun (1B), Al (Red) Wingo (OF), unidentified, Ken Holloway (P), George Smith (P), Lu Blue (1B), Fred Haney (3B), Charlie Gehringer (2B), Bob Fothergill (OF).

Middle Row: L-R: Ed Wells (P), Harry Heilmann (RF), unidentified, unidentified, Ty Cobb (Mgr./CF), Jackie Tavener (SS), Rip Collins (P), Ray Hayworth (C), Heinie Manush (LF).

Bottom Row: L-R: Earl Whitehill (P), George 'Hooks' Dauss (P), Johnny Bassler (C), Lil Stoner (P), Larry Woodall (C).
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-22-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• Joe DiMaggio - Late 1940's

Here's a great, super-large photo of Joe in full uniform, including his jacket. I'm not really sure on the exact year...but it appears to be post WW2 at least...it could even be 1950-51. BTW, awesome work on the Tigers/Cobb pic ID's!

Originally posted by Babefan
          Thanks BS for the Joe pic! Though it is common I didnt have one so clear! Great job! Do you have any other great advertisements like the 4 Bradley Sweater ads you posted awhile back? They were amazing and are a great addition to the ol baseball den! Love those ads!
          Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• Ted Williams in the Military - Spring 1943
            With the 1st Platoon, Company "B", 25th Battalion
            Ted is 3rd row from the top, 6th from the left.

Ted is too obvious to point out, but do my eyes deceive? That looks an awful lot like Yogi Berra, second row from top, 2nd from the left.
            Originally posted by BSmile
            While that soldier does look an awful lot like Yogi, I'm pretty sure that he enlisted in the Navy in 1944.
            Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• 1950 Philadelphia Phillies Capture The NL Pennant
              Since we're in a rare Phillies WS year, here's the Whiz Kids letting loose after winning the NL Crown.

1950 Philadelphia Phillies: The Whiz Kids; 91-63, .591, 2 g ahead, (WS L 4-0 to Yankees)---BB Ref
              Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• 1939 New York Yankees - On The Road
                This is a rare and pristine image from the original negative. I love pic's like this. Still has all the original markings etc...so cool to see that. I wish it were the original size, but oh well. Enjoy! ~B

1939 New York Yankees; 106-45, .702, 17 g ahead, (WS W 4-0 over Reds)---BB Ref
                Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• 1946 Boston Red Sox Team
                  I wish it were bigger...but at least it has all the names.

1946 Boston Red Sox; 104 50 .675, 12 g ahead, (WS W 4-3 over Cardinals)---BB Ref

Top Row, L-R: Bob Klinger (P), Tom McBride (OF), Rip Russell (3B), Catfish Metkovich (RF), Clem Dreisewerd (P), Joe Dobson (P), Earl Johnson (P), Bill Zuber (P), Jim Bagby (P), Tex Hughson (P), Dave Ferriss (P), Paul Schrieber (coach), Ted Williams (LF).

Middle Row, L-R: Green (trainer), Mace Brown (P), Mike Ryba (P), Paul Campbell (1B), Eddie McGah (C), Johnny Lazor (OF), Roy Partee (C), Wally Moses (RF), Hal Wagner (P), Mickey Harris (P), Rudy York (1B), Pinky Higgins (3B), Leon Culberson (CF), Orlando (assistant trainer).

Bottom Row, L-R: Thomas Dowd (Traveling Secretary), Johnny Pesky (SS), Bobby Doerr (2B), Eddie Pellagrini (IF), Larry Woodall (coach), Joe Cronin (Mgr.), Del Baker (coach), Tom Carey (coach), Dom DiMaggio (CF), Charlie Wagner (P), Don Gutteridge (IF).
                  Front: Frank Kelly (bat boy).
                  Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• 1940 St. Louis Browns Team
                    Here's a great pic that was originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules.Anybody want to take a crack at the players id's?

1940 St. Louis Browns; 67-87, .435, 6th place, 23 g behind---BB Ref

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                    Awesome!
                    Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• 1921 Pittsburgh Pirates Team

1921 Pittsburgh Pirates; 90-63, .588, 2nd Place, 4 g behind---BB Ref---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top, L-R: Carson Bigbee (LF), Kiki Cuyler (OF), Johnny Morrison (P), unidentified, Cotton Tierney (IF), Babe Adams (P), unidentified, unidentified, Clyde Barnhart (3B), Whitey Glazner (P).

Middle, L-R: Charlie Grimm (1B), Max Carey (CF), Walter Schmidt? (C), Earl Hamilton (P), George Gibson (Mgr.), Dave Robertson (OF), Hal Carlson? (P), unidentified, Wilbur Cooper (P).

Bottom, L-R: Tony Brottem? (C), unidentified, Rabbit Maranville (SS), Jimmy Zinn (P), unidentified, Possum Whirtted (RF).

Might be Dave Robertson, Middle, 6th from left. Also I've narrowed down KiKi Cuyler and Pie Traynor to a couple, but can't make the call yet. Maybe someone else can?
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Baseball Hall Of Fame - June 12, 1939
                        Yup, real pics from the crowd. That's The Babe in the 2nd pic.
                        Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Baseball Hall Of Fame - June 12, 1939 - Pt.2
                          The 1st pic is from a parade held in town before the game.
                          Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Baseball Hall Of Fame - June 12, 1939 - Pt.3
                            Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• 1914 Federal League - Honoring The Flag
                              One team is the Buffalo Bison, I'm not sure who the other team is...but I really love this pic.The ad's on the outfield wall are awesome!

Originally posted by bmarlowe
                              The other team is Brooklyn, photo taken at Washington Park, Brooklyn.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-04-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Nice pic Bill! I thought I'd "enhance" it a bit.
                                Cheers! ~B

1931 Philadelphia Athletics; 107-45, .704, 13.5 g ahead, (WS L 4-3 to Cardinals)---BB Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top, L-R: Roy Mahaffey (P), Dib Williams (SS), Doc Cramer (OF), Waite Hoyt (P), Mule Haas (CF), Hank McDonald (P), Lew Krausse (P), Johnnie Heving (C), ?Jimmy Moore (OF).

Middle: Lefty Grove (P), Bing Miller (RF), Mickey Cochrane (C), Eddie Collins (Coach), Connie Mack (Owner/Mgr.), Bill (Kid) Gleason (Coach), Eddie Rommell (P), Al Simmons (LF), Max Bishop (2B), Unk., Jimmy Dykes (3B).

Bottom: ?Joe Palmisano (C), Eric McNair (UT), Jimmy Foxx (1B), Rube Walberg (P), Marcucci (mascot), Ebeling, Joe Boley (SS), Phil Todt (1B), Earl Mack (Coach).

Wow! Thanks, BSmile! You are a --magician! There are no other words to describe your photo-editing expertise skills. Just looks like another photo. You can see so much more in your edited shots. I said it once and I'll repeat myself. If you're not in the photo-editing business, you're losing a fortune.
                                We have the same group picture posted, but with the "caps on" on page 3, #68.
                                Thanx again Bill. Honestly, bringing old/vintage baseball photos back to life...or as good as they can be...is my favorite hobby. I'm more than happy to contribute to what is the best historical baseball website on the planet. It's my honor to be a part of it. And yes, there's even more to come.

Cheers! ~B
                                Keep 'em coming, BSmile!!...and thanks for all your efforts. Thanks to you ...and Bill... it is the best historical baseball website on the planet! As I've said before, this may very well be the best collection of historical baseball team pictures - with most of them identified - in existence! If there's a better collection somewhere, I'd like to know where it is!
                                Thanx so much GaryL. Your help to this thread/site has not gone unnoticed. As far as there being a better reference for historical team pictures...it's obvious that nobody's even close (at least online). Cheers to all of us for our collective efforts...that bring truth and clarity to the history of baseball.

~B
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X