X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• presspins
    replied
    Was this photo was taken at Ebbets Field?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Player identifications are pretty tricky, as we all know. We all use our own subjective AND objective criteria. That guy in the top row, right, looks an awful lot like Duffy Lewis. I think this way because of his rounded face.

And one of the subjective things I use a lot is facial expressions. You can tell a lot by one's smile. And this guy is smiling a Duffy Lewis, 'aw shucks' kind of Opie Taylor kind of smile. I know it sounds silly, but I've been able to nail a lot of IDs with facial expressions.

Leave a comment:

• RUKen
    replied
    I understand...but now that we are in an age in which players wear new spring-training uniforms that are different from their new regular-season uniforms, it may be a revelation to new people on this board that players used to wear their worn-out old uniforms during spring training each year.

If GaryL's IDs are correct, and Duffy Lewis is the player in the back row on the right, then this must be the 1919 Yankees. Lewis was in the army during the entire 1918 season, and he had previously played for the Red Sox. But then why is he wearing a Yankee uniform from 1918? I think it could be Hugh High...

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    Originally posted by RUKen View Post
    In the early part of the century, players commonly wore the previous year's uniform during spring training. If they had been traded during the winter, they would wear their previous team's uniform. Regarding the stadium, perhaps the Yankees were on their way back to New York from wherever they had trained that spring, and played an exhibition game in a major league ballpark. (I don't know; I'm just speculating...)
    I'm quite aware of all that...I was merely pointing out some specific details.

Leave a comment:

• Dto7
    replied
    Pretty sure 1918 Yankees
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RUKen
    replied
    Originally posted by BSmile View Post
    Anything is possible, but they are wearing the 1918-only uniforms with the red/white/blue left sleeve cuff. Also, that doesn't look like a spring training ballpark (Washington perhaps?).
    In the early part of the century, players commonly wore the previous year's uniform during spring training. If they had been traded during the winter, they would wear their previous team's uniform. Regarding the stadium, perhaps the Yankees were on their way back to New York from wherever they had trained that spring, and played an exhibition game in a major league ballpark. (I don't know; I'm just speculating...)

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryL
    Pretty sure this is actually from Spring Training, 1919.
    Anything is possible, but they are wearing the 1918-only uniforms with the red/white/blue left sleeve cuff. Also, that doesn't look like a spring training ballpark (Washington perhaps?).

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    1953-53 Caguas-Guayama Team Composite
    Puerto Rican League Champions (featuring Hank Aaron)
    Yup, young Hammerin' Hank's last name is misspelled "AROON" on the photo. Still a great (and rare) document of Hank's time in Puerto Rico, where he first learned to play the outfield before his rookie season with Milwaukee.

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    1909 Chicago Cubs Team Composite
    1909 Cubs Team Stats
    And one last composite for now...

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    Originally posted by RUKen View Post
    This is a great composite photo, but it is actually the 1906 team. In the center it says "Chicago Baseball Club of 1906, Champions for 1907". A couple of the players in this photo (Walsh and Gessler) were not on the team in 1907.

Thanks for posting this!
    Oops, my bad. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• RUKen
    replied
    This is a great composite photo, but it is actually the 1906 team. In the center it says "Chicago Baseball Club of 1906, Champions for 1907". A couple of the players in this photo (Walsh and Gessler) were not on the team in 1907.

Thanks for posting this!

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    1906 Chicago Cubs Team Composite
    1906 Cubs Team Stats
    Last edited by BSmile; 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    1903 Chicago Cubs Team Composite
    1903 Cubs Team Stats

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    1912 Boston Red Sox Team Composite
    World's Champions 1912 © Burke & Atwell, Chicago.
    Last edited by BSmile; 08-09-2012, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    1918 New York Yankees Team
    1918 Yankees Team Stats
    I'd posted the 1918 NY Yankees Team Panoramic (Post #1246) last year, but here's a more traditional team/group shot.

Pretty sure this is actually from Spring Training, 1919

1919 New York Yankees; 80-59, .576, 3rd Place, 7.5 g behind,---BB-Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top Row, L-R: Jack Quinn (P), Bill Lamar (UT), George Mogridge (P), Alex Ferguson (P), Aaron Ward (2B), Wally Pipp (1B), Ernie Shore (P), Hank Thormahlin (P), Frank Kane (OF), Truck Hannah (C), Lefty O'Doul (OF), Duffy Lewis (LF).

Middle Row, L-R: Baldwin, Del Pratt (2B), Roger Peckinpaugh (SS), Paddy O'Connor (Coach).

Bottom Row, L-R: Bob Shawkey (P), Frank "Homerun" Baker (3B), Miller Huggins (Mgr.), Sammy Vick (OF), Muddy Ruel (C).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X