No announcement yet.

Historical, Archival Photographs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • William Boyd (Deacon) (Bill) McKechnie:

    Born: August 7, 1886, Wilkinsburg, PA
    Died: October 29, 1965, Bradenton, FL, age 79

    Pittsburgh Pirates: 1922 - 1926
    St. Louis Cardinals: 1928 - 1929
    Boston Braves: 1930 - 1937
    Cincinnati Reds: 1938 - 1946
    St. Louis Cardinals: 1927
    Cleveland Indians: 1947 - 1949
    Boston Red Sox: 1952 - 1953

    ML infielder (1907, 1910 - 1918, 1920); Federal League manager, Newark (1915)

    Managed Federals in 1915. Won pennants in 1925, 1928, 1939, 1940. Came in lower than 4th 14 times.---Managing Record

    Wife: Beryl B. (Bien), born Ohio, July, 1888, died October 26, 1957 at Bradenton, FL.

    Bill McKechnie, Braves' manager, 1932---------------------------------------------------------------Reds' skipper, 1939------------------------------------Boston Braves, 1913

    Bucky Harris/Bill McKechnie: July 8, 1925--------Heinie Wagner/Bill McKechnie: 1930.

    William Harrison (Billy) Southworth:

    Born: March 9, 1893, Harvard, NE
    Died: November 15, 1969, Columbus, OH

    St. Louis Cardinals, 1929, 1940 - 1945
    Boston Braves, 1946 - 1951

    NY Giants, 1933

    ML OF; played for Indians (1913, 1915), Pirates (1918 - 1920), Red Sox (1921-23), Giants (1924-25), Cardinals (1926-27, 1929);

    From 1941, went 2, 1, 1, 2.---Managing Record

    -------------Billy, left, talking with Leo Durocher, 1949-50, Polo Grounds-----------------------Cardinals' manager, 1940-45

    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM.


    • Charles John (Jolly Cholly) Grimm:

      Born: August 28, 1898, St. Louis, MO
      Died: November 15, 1983, Scottsdale, AZ, age 85,---Buried: Cremated, ashes spread by wife over Wrigley Field.

      Chicago Cubs, 1932 - 1949, 1960
      Milwaukee Braves, 1952 - 1956
      Cubs coach, 1941, 1961 - 1963

      Philadelphia A's 1st baseman (1916), Cardinals (1918), Pirates (1919-24), Cubs (1925-36)

      After long 1B career, when with Cubs initially, ran off 2, 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 3. Later with Braves ran off 2, 3, 2.
      Managing Record---GetImage2.pdf (Sporting News' Obituary, November 28, 1983, pp. 69.)

      ----------------Cubs' Manager, 1943-49-------------------------------------Cubs' 1B, 1926

      ------------------------------------------1947 --------------------------------------------------------------------1955

      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-22-2009, 09:56 PM.


      • -----------------------------------------Some Prominent Team Owners:

        Jacob Ruppert, Jr.:

        Owner: New York Yankees, 1915 - 1939.

        Born: August 5, 1867, NYC
        Died: January 13, 1939, NYC, age 71,---d. phlebitis inflamation of veins/cirrhosis

        Yankee owner (1915-1939); Was originally a co-owner with Colonel Huston. Used mortgage on Fenway Park to coerce/leverage Red Sox' owner Harry Frazee to "give" his stars away & launch 1st NY dynasty using re-cycled Sox stars, including Everet Scott, Joe Dugan, Babe Ruth, Herb Pennock, Carl Mays, Joe Bush, Sam Jones, Wally Schang, Waite Hoyt, Ernie Shore, Duffy Lewis, Steve O'Neil, GM Ed Barrow.

        Ruppert was best owner in baseball. Proves good people make terrible mistakes. "Rape of Red Sox" is worst scandal in baseball, after racism & the reserve clause. Where was Commisssioner Judge Landis? Rejecting pleas for reinstatement from Buck Weaver? Buried Kensico Cemetery, Westchester, CT.

        Inherited brewery business from his father. Was 4 term US Congressman from 'Silk Stocking' district of Manhattan, 1898-1906. Hired Miller Huggins behind Colonel Huston's back. Huston despised Huggins, and clash led to Ruppert buying out Huston's interests in June, 1923, for $1,250,000. Colonel Huston was an engineer, and supervised the construction of most of Yankee Stadium, which cost around $3.m.

        When Red Sox pitcher, Carl Mays walked off his team in 1919, Ruppert signed him. Precipitated first major clash with AL President Ban Johnson, leading to splitting the AL owners into pro/anti Johnson factions. Ruppert's former political connections aided him in dueling court injunctions over Carl Mays.

        Died at his 5th Ave. apartment in Manhattan, NY. Becoming ill with phlebitis of both legs in April of 1938, he did not attend the World Series that year. Complications grew and he died at his Fifth Avenue home with family at his bedside. Jacob died of cirrhosis at the age of 72, an illness brought on by the years of testing the very brew he sold. Was a devout Roman Catholic, confirmed bachelor. At his death, his worth was estimated at between $40-50m, & he gave a third of it to his former actress friend Helen Winthrope Weyant.
        Jake's Wikipedia page
        Jacob Ruppert, Jr. (August 5, 1867 – January 13, 1939), sometimes referred to as Jake Ruppert, was a National Guard colonel; a U.S. Representative from New York; and brewery owner, who went on to own the New York Yankees. Parents Jacob Ruppert and Anna Gillig were of German ethnicity.

        Ruppert's 24 years as a Yankee owner saw him build the team from near-moribund to a baseball powerhouse. His own strength as a baseball executive — including his willingness to wheel and deal — was aided by the business skills of general manager Ed Barrow and the forceful field managing of Miller Huggins and Joe McCarthy. By the time of his death, the team was well on its way to becoming the most successful in the history of Major League Baseball, and eventually in North American professional sports.

        Ruppert inherited the brewing company from his father, Jacob Ruppert, Sr. (1842–1915) and in 1915, upon his father's death and just before Prohibition, he became the company's president. Before that, he had been elected to Congress in 1898. He served in Congress four sequential terms. Other career highlights include serving as president of the Astoria Silk Works.

        Ruppert served in the National Guard as colonel only for a short period of time. Despite this, people commonly called him Colonel Ruppert instead of Congressman Ruppert, which may have been a more appropriate title for people to call him.

        Ruppert and Tillinghast L’Hommedieu Huston acquired the Yankees in 1915, from the team's first owners, Frank Farrell and William S. Devery. They hired pitcher Carl Mays from the Boston Red Sox in 1918, and purchased Babe Ruth in 1919. In 1922 Ruppert bought out Huston, and he became the sole owner.

        The Yankees dominated baseball throughout a good portion of the 1920s and 1930s, including the Murderers' Row team of 1927. During 1923, the year the Colonel unveiled Yankee Stadium, Huston sold his share of the Yankees but remained a director of the club as vice president and treasurer.

        Ruppert and Ruth had public disagreements about Ruth's contracts. Nevertheless, they were personal friends. According to Ruth, Ruppert called him Babe only once, and that was the night before he died. Ruth was one of the last persons to see Ruppert alive.

        He died on January 13, 1939 and was interred in Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla, New York.

        On April 16, 1940, the Yankees dedicated a plaque in Ruppert's memory, to hang on the center field wall of Yankee Stadium, near the flagpole and the monument that had been dedicated to former manager Miller Huggins. The plaque called Ruppert "Gentleman, American, sportsman, through whose vision and courage this imposing edifice, destined to become the home of champions, was erected and dedicated to the American game of baseball." The plaque now rests in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium.

        An apocryphal story says that Ruppert is responsible for the Yankees' famous pinstriped uniforms; according to this account, Ruppert chose pinstripes in order to make the often-portly Ruth appear less obese, but the uniform was introduced in 1912.

        1867 Born in New York City, Ruppert attended the Columbia Grammar School
        1887 Engaged in the brewing business with his father in 1887
        1886 Served as a private in the Seventh Regiment, National Guard of New York until 1889
        1890 (circa) He was appointed a colonel on the staff of Gov. David B. Hill, serving as aide-de-camp
        1892 He served as senior aide on the staff of Roswell P. Flower till 1895
        Was elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-sixth and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1899 – March 3, 1907). He was not a candidate for renomination in 1906.
        He resumed his activities in the brewing business and became president of his father's company in 1915.
        He served as president of the United States Brewers Association 1911–1914.
        Purchased and became president of the New York Yankees on December 31, 1914, and served in that capacity until his death in New York City, January 13, 1939.
        He was interred in Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla, New York.

        Jake's bio (left) as it appeared in 1933's Who's Who
        in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson.[/B]

        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1930: Jake Ruppert confers with his new manager, Bob Shawkey.

        Owner Jake Ruppert consults with his manager, Miller Huggins, 1918-21.-----------------------------------Jake Ruppert/Miller Huggins, 1927-29.

        Colonel Tillinghast L' Hommedieu Huston:

        New York Yankees' Co-Owner, with Jacob Ruppert, 1915-1923

        Born: July 17, 1867, Buffalo, NY
        Died: March 29, 1938, Brunswick, GA, age 71, He is buried at Frederica's Christ Episcopal church Cemetery, St. Simon Island, GA

        Co-Owner the New York Yankees; w / Jacob Ruppert, bought team for $480,000. from Frank Farrell & William S. Devery in 1915; Was VP. A civil engineer, contractor & agriculturist, he supervised much of construction of Yankee Stadium, which cost about $3m. Sold his interest to Ruppert (June, 1923) for $1,250,000. Often at odds with Ban Johnson. Got 7 injunctions against him preventing Johnson from suspending Carl Mays. In 1937, offered $1.7m for Dodgers, as head of syndicate. Intended to install night lights. Offer refused. He married Lena Belle Gladstone.

        -----------------------April 9, 1915
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM.


        • Charles Abraham Stoneham:

          Owner: New Yorks Giants, 1919-1936

          Born: July 5, 1876, Jersey City, NJ
          Died: January 6, 1936, age 59, lived in NYC, but died at Hot Springs, Arkansas of Bright's disease.

          Charles's bio (below)/photo (side, left) as they appeared in 1933's
          Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson

          1930-32: unidentified, James J. Tierney (Secretary), Charles Stoneham, John McGraw, Eddie Brannick (Assistant Secretary).----1930-32: Stoneham/McGraw.

          1926-27: McGraw, Charles Stoneham, unidentified Giants' player, 1926-27-
          -----------------------1926-27: McGraw/Stoneham.

          1926-27: Stoneham, McGraw, unidentified, James J. Tierney (Secretary).

          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-06-2011, 11:51 PM.


          • Samuel Wilson Breadon---AKA Sam Breadon

            Owner: St. Louis Cardinals, January, 1920 - November, 1947

            Born: July 26, 1876, NYC
            Died: May 10, 1949, St. Louis, MO, age 72,---d. liver cancer for 6 months.

            Father: William; Mother: Jane Wilson; Wife: Rachael Wilson, born Kansas, around 1889, died August 23, 1964, St. Louis, MO.

            Sam Breadon: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia;
            Sam Breadon (July 26, 1876, New York, New York – May 8, 1949, St. Louis, Missouri) was an American executive who served as the president and majority owner of the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball from 1920 through 1947. During that time, the Cardinals rose from languishing as one of the National League’s doormats to a premier power in baseball, winning nine NL pennants and six World Series championships.

            Breadon moved from Manhattan to St. Louis at the turn of the 20th century. He prospered as the owner of auto dealerships and became a self-made millionaire. In 1917, he also became a minority investor – for $2,000 – in the Cardinals, then a struggling, second-division team chronically strapped for resources. But the club’s enterprising young president, Branch Rickey, discovered that the team could compete successfully against richer opponents by developing its playing talent on an assembly line of minor league teams, from Class D to Class AA, that it owned and controlled. This was the creation of the farm system, perfected by the Cardinals and - when the Redbirds came to dominate the NL - copied by the 15 other major league teams.

            Rickey would manage the Cardinals from 1918-25, and Breadon, who had bought out most of his partners to become majority owner, succeeded him as club president in 1920. In the middle of 1925, Breadon moved Rickey into the front office as business manager – general manager in contemporary terms – and promoted star second baseman Rogers Hornsby to playing manager. (Rickey, who worked for Breadon until the end of 1942, enjoyed wide-ranging authority – but Breadon would always reserve the right to choose the team’s field manager.)

            In 1926, the Redbirds won their first pennant and first world championship. Under Breadon, they again would rule the baseball world in 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944 and 1946, with NL pennants also earned in 1928, 1930 and 1943. They would feature such all-time great players as Jim Bottomley, Chick Hafey, Dizzy Dean, Pepper Martin, Frankie Frisch, Joe Medwick, Johnny Mize, Enos Slaughter, Marty Marion and Stan Musial. And, with their on-field success and the advent of radio, they would develop a fanatical regional following, their appeal extending beyond Missouri and throughout the lower Midwest, Arkansas, Louisiana, the Great Plains states and much of the Southwest.

            In November 1947, Breadon sold the Cardinals to prominent St. Louisans Robert Hannegan and Fred Saigh for $3 million. He died 18 months later, from cancer.

            Sam's bio (below)/photo (right) as they
            appeared in 1933's Who's Who
            in Major League Baseball, edited by
            Harold (Speed) Johnson.-----------------------------------------------------------------1930-----------------1933---------------------------------1930.

            --------------------------------Missouri Death Certificate.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-08-2011, 02:29 PM.


            • Bernhard (Barney) Dreyfuss

              Owner: Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900 - 1932

              Born: February 23, 1865, Freiburg, Baden, Germany
              Died: February 5, 1932, Pittsburgh, PA, age 66

              Born Germany, Jewish, Arrived US (1881), prior to buying Pirates in 1900, He owned the Louisville Colonels in NL 1899.
              d. after contracting pneumonia following prostate surgery, while in NYC, buried in West View Cemetery, Pittsburgh, PA

              Barney Dreyfuss: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Bernhard "Barney" Dreyfuss (February 23, 1865 – February 5, 1932) was a German-Jewish-American executive in Major League Baseball who owned the Pittsburgh Pirates franchise from 1900 to 1932. He is often credited with the creation of the modern baseball World Series. He also built in 1909 baseball's first modern steel and concrete baseball park, Forbes Field.

              Dreyfuss was born in Freiburg, Germany as the son of Samuel Dreyfuss, who was a U.S. citizen since about 1861. After training in a bank in Karlsruhe he emigrated in 1881 to the U.S. to escape conscription. In the U.S. he lived and worked with the Bernheim family in Paducah, Kentucky. The Bernheims were relatives over his grandfather Leon Bernheim. In 1888 he moved with the Bernheim family to Louisville, Kentucky. Dreyfuss became president of the Louisville Colonels team in 1899, and moved to the Pirates one year later when the league contracted from 12 teams to 8. Under his ownership, the Pirates won 6 pennants and two World Series championships (1909, 1925), finishing below fourth place only four times.

              Dreyfuss died at age 66 in New York City. He is buried in West View Cemetery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

              --Barney's bio/photo (right) as they appeared in 1933's Who's Who
              in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson.-------------------------------------------1931

              Florence (Wolf) Dreyfuss

              owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, February 5, 1932 - August 8, 1946

              Born: March 31, 1872, Louisville, KY
              Died: May 12, 1950, Pittsburgh, PA, age 78

              Florence married Barney October 16, 1894. She inherited the Pittsburgh Pirates' team upon his death, February 5, 1932, and sold the team August 8, 1946, to group headed by Frank McKinney of Indianapolis, which included famed entertainer, Bing Crosby, who was made VP, for an estimated $2.75 million dollars.

              August 24, 1946: Frank McKinney, Tom P. Johnson, Mrs. Dreyfuss, Sam E. Watters, Bill Benswanger, unidentified.
              Ownership change from the Dreyfuss family to the Galbreath group led by McKinney.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM.


              • William K. Wrigley, Jr.

                Owner: Chicago Cubs, 1921 - 1932

                Born: September 30, 1862, Philadelphia, PA
                Died: January 26, 1932, age 70, Phoenix, AZ, heart ailment, buried Catalina Is.

                minority stockholder in Cubs (1916). By 1921, sole owner. Made his fortune selling his Wrigley gum.
                Turned over gum business to son Phillip in 1923, who also inherited Cubs upon his Dad's death in 1932.

                William Wrigley Jr.: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                He was a U.S. chewing gum industrialist. He was founder and eponym of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company in 1891. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

                Wrigley played an instrumental role in the history of Catalina Island, off the shore of Los Angeles, California. He bought the island in 1919 and improved the island with public utilities, new steamships, a hotel, the Casino building, and extensive plantings of trees, shrubs and flowers. However, William Wrigley Jr.'s greatest legacy was his plan for the future of Catalina Island — that it remain protected for all generations to enjoy. He established the Catalina Island Conservancy for this, and he is honored with the Wrigley Memorial in the Wrigley Botanical Gardens on the island.

                Wrigley was also owner of the Chicago Cubs baseball team, which held its annual spring training on Catalina Island. Wrigley Field, the Cubs' ballpark in Chicago, is named for the owner. The now-demolished former home of the Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League, at that time the Cubs' top farm team, was also called Wrigley Field. He purchased the Chicago Cubs from Albert Lasker in 1925.[1] Note that this conflicts with List of managers and owners of the Chicago Cubs.

                The Arizona Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona was partially financed, then wholly owned, by Wrigley, who finished the nearby Wrigley Mansion as a winter cottage in 1931. At 16,000 square feet it was the smallest of his five residences.

                Wrigley left his fortune to daughter Dorothy Wrigley Offield, and son, P.K. Wrigley, who continued to run the company businesses for the next 45 years until his death.

                His great-grandson William Wrigley, Jr. II is the executive-chairman and ex CEO of the Wrigley Company.

                William's bio/photo (below left) as they appeared in 1933's
                Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson

                ----------------------------------------------------------------April 24, 1930, watching his team practice.

                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM.


                • Philip De Catesby Ball:

                  Owner: St. Louis Browns, January, 1917 - 1932

                  Born: October 22, 1864, Keokuk, IA
                  Died: October 22, 1933, St. Louis, MO, age 69,---d. Buried Bellefontaine cemetery, St. Louis, MO

                  Father: Charles J.; Mother: Caroline Parkison; Wife: Harriet R., born Indiana, February, 1866. Married Philip around 1886. Daughter: Margaret Ball Cady, born Texas, May, 1890 , died, June 12, 1951, St. Louis, MO, of cancer, age 62, wife of William R. Cady.

                  In 1916, Robert Lee Hedges sold the Browns to Philip DeCatesby Ball, who owned the St. Louis Terriers in the by-then-defunct Federal League. Philip de Catesby Ball, ice-manufacturing tycoon and principal stockholder of the Feds' St. Louis Terriers, pays a reported $525,000 for the Browns and replaces manager Branch Rickey with his own Fielder Jones.

                  Four years later, Ball allowed the Cardinals to move out of dilapidated Robison Field and share Sportsman's Park with the Browns. This move was one of many that eventually doomed the Browns; Cardinals owner Sam Breadon and general manager Branch Rickey (a former Browns manager) used the proceeds from the Robison Field sale to build baseball's first modern farm system--which eventually produced several star players that brought the Browns more drawing power than the Cardinals.

                  The 1922 Browns excited their owner by almost beating the Yankees to a pennant. The club was boasting the best players in franchise history, including future Hall of Famer George Sisler, and an outfield trio - Ken Williams, Baby Doll Jacobson, and Jack Tobin - that batted .300 or better in 1919-23 and in 1925. In 1922, Williams became the first player in Major League history to hit 30 home runs and steal 30 bases in a season, something that would not be done again in the Majors until 1956.

                  Ball confidently predicted that there would be a World Series in Sportsman's Park by 1926. In anticipation, he increased the capacity of his ballpark from 18,000 to 30,000. There was a World Series in Sportsman's Park in 1926 - the Cardinals upset the Yankees. St. Louis had been considered a "Browns' town" until then; after 1926 the Cardinals dominated St. Louis baseball, while still technically tenants of the Browns. Meanwhile, the Browns rapidly fell into the cellar. As well as winning the World Series, St. Louis evolved to a "Cardinals'" town.

                  Phil's bio/photo (right) as they appeared in 1933's
                  Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson

                  --------------Missouri Death Certificate.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM.


                  • Emil Edwin Fuchs: AKA Judge Fuchs

                    Owner: Boston Braves, February, 1923 - 1936

                    Born: April 17, 1878, NYC
                    Died: December 5, 1961, Boston, MA, age 83---d. after 10 week illness

                    President (1927-35), Managed his own team in 1929. Lost over $1m during his tenure. Formerly a wealthy NYC attorney, he paid $550,000. for his team, and was $300,000. in debt when he sold the team. Although not required to legally, he later paid off the debts. Had been a NYC magistrate (1915-1918). Graduated NYU law school.

                    Signing Babe Ruth for his Boston Braves, February 26, 1935. Colonel Jake Ruppert on the right.

                    ------------------------------------------------Conferring with his team manager, Bill McKechnie, 1930-36

                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-15-2009, 06:39 AM.


                    • Philip Knight Wrigley:

                      Owner: Chicago Cubs, 1932 - 1977

                      Born: December 5, 1894, Elkhorn, WI
                      Died: April 12, 1977, Elkhorn, WI, age 82

                      Father: William Wrigley, born September 30, 1862, Philadelphia, PA, died: January 26, 1932, Phoenix, AZ; Mother: Ada E., born New York, around 1864, died December 16, 1959, Pasadena, CA.

                      Inherited Wrigley gum business (1923) & Cubs team (1932) from father; refused to install lights at his ballpark, only park without nightgames. Avoided limelight. Incredibly honest, generous. Loved baseball with all his heart.

                      Took over the reigns from his father as president of the Cubs in 1932 and remained in that role until his death in 1977…His teams won four NL pennants (1932, '35, '38 and '45)…Known for being generous to his players…Given credit for keeping Wrigley Field free of lights during his lifetime…Instituted the Chicago experimental laboratory program, the first such baseball school…Initiated use of loudspeakers so that fans could hear the lineup changes and other announcements…Insisted that some tickets be made available every day for walk-up purchases by fans…Installed scoreboard that showed ball-strike count, as well as hit/error decisions…Instituted the AAGPBL (All-American Girl's Professional Baseball League), the immensely successful women's hardball league, which played during and after WWII.
                      Philip K. Wrigley: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Philip Knight Wrigley sometimes also called P.K. or Phil. Born in Chicago, he was an American chewing gum manufacturer and executive in Major League Baseball, inheriting both those roles as the quiet son of his much more flamboyant father, William Wrigley Jr. After his father died in 1932, Philip presided over the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, and also the family hobby, the Chicago Cubs, as owner until his death. He passed the title of Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company President to his son William Wrigley III in 1961.

                      While the gum industry prospered, the Cubs grew less competitive over the decades, with a brief flurry of success (although no championship) in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Although resisting installing lights at Wrigley Field, he was innovative in other ways. In 1961 he abolished the traditional field management/coaching structure and instead hired a "college of coaches". This anticipated the specialization of coaches that is taken for granted nowadays. His one mistake was in rotating the various coaches as a "head coach", an approach that confused the team and invited constant media ridicule, largely due to the lack of apparent improvement in the team's won-lost ratio. However, many young players came through that system, and they were ready to play at a notably improved level soon after Wrigley made one of his best decisions, when he dropped the head coach idea and hired Leo Durocher as the manager in 1966.

                      During World War II, Wrigley founded the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League as a promotional sideline to maintain interest in baseball as the World War II military draft was depleting major-league rosters of first-line players. The AAGPBL was immortalized in the 1992 film A League of Their Own.

                      Like his father, P.K. was a strong believer in maximizing media coverage. Starting in the 1920s, the Cubs' games were covered extensively on the radio, sometimes by competing stations at the same time, for minimal fees. In the post-World War II era, when baseball was booming, Wrigley continued this practice, allowing WGN-TV to carry all the home games as well as a significant number of road games. Some owners were aghast at Wrigley's "giving away the product", but it paid manifold dividends in the long run, as the evolution of WGN-TV into a superstation developed a truly nationwide fan base for the Cubs, which has resulted in nearly constant sellout crowds at "Beautiful Wrigley Field", regardless of the fortunes of the team at a given time.

                      P.K. was a fairly visible presence with the Cubs in his younger years, but was seldom witnessed attending games during his final few decades of ownership, making his presence known mostly through memos and sometimes full-page newspaper ads. Early 70s utility player Pete LaCock was best known for being the son of TV personality Peter Marshall and for his unique sense of humor. The Sporting News once reported that he had made a trip to the Wrigley Building and asked for an audience with Mr. Wrigley. P.K. asked him what he wanted, and LaCock answered, "Nothing. I just wanted to see if you really exist!"

                      After the deaths of himself and his wife, his son William III took over both enterprises. The Cubs were sold to the Chicago Tribune company in 1981, ending over 60 years of Wrigley association with the team, save the name of the ballpark itself, which remains Wrigley Field.

                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------October 17, 1951

                      Phil's bio as it appeared in 1933's Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson, pp. 50.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-03-2011, 01:12 PM.


                      • William Louis Veeck, Sr. (rhymes with wreck)

                        Owner: Chicago Cubs, 1918 - 1933

                        Born: January 20, 1878, Boonvelle, IN
                        Died: October 5, 1933, Chicago, IL, age 55---d. influenza/leukemia

                        Louisville sports writer, Chicago President (1918-33)

                        Bill's bio/photo (below) 1933's Who's Who in Major League Baseball,
                        edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson, pp. 50
                        .----------------------------L-R: Tom Shibe, Judge Landis, William L. Veeck, September 10, 1929

                        Saturday, February 25, 1933 Catalina Island, CA: William Veeck, Chicago Cubs president,
                        talks things over with Cubs Manager Jolly Cholly Grimm as spring training begins.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM.


                        • Clark Calvin Griffith:

                          Owner: Washington Senators, 1920 - 1955

                          Born: November 20, 1869, Clear Creek, MO
                          Died: October 27, 1955, Wash. DC, age 85

                          ML pitcher (1891-1914)
                          New York Highlanders' manager, (1903 - 1908)
                          Cincinnati Reds' manager, (1909 - 1911)
                          Washington Senators' manager (1912-20)

                          Wife: Ann Robertson Griffith, born Scotland in November, 1876, died October 13, 1957 in Washington, DC. Her family immigrated to US in 1880.

                          Clark Griffith: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Clark Calvin Griffith nicknamed "the Old Fox", was a Major League Baseball pitcher (1891 - 1914), manager (1901 - 1920) and team owner (1920 - 1955).

                          Griffith entered the American Association in 1891, pitching 226 ⅓ innings and winning 14 games for the St. Louis Browns and Boston Reds. He began the following season with the Chicago Colts, and in 1894 began a string of six consecutive seasons with 20 or more victories, compiling a 21-14 record and 4.92 ERA. Griffith lowered his ERA over the following years to a low of 1.88 in 1898, the lowest mark in the league.

                          Griffith won 20 games for his 7th and final time in 1901 as a member of the Chicago White Stockings in the nascent American League; it was also the first year he assumed managerial duties. His success extended beyond his own play as the White Stockings won the AL title with an 83-53 record.

                          Griffith phased out of playing in the following years while taking the managerial helm of the New York Highlanders (1903 - 1908), Cincinnati Reds (1909 - 1911) and Washington Senators (1912 - 1920). He finished his managerial career with a 1491-1367 record. His 1491 wins ranked 19th all-time as of 2005.

                          Griffith owned the Washington Senators from 1920 until his death in 1955, during which time he became known for his dislike of night games and also for his faith in young players. He twice entrusted 27-year-old players to manage his teams (Bucky Harris in 1924 and Joe Cronin in 1933). Griffith's wagers appeared to pay off, as the Senators won the pennant in both years under their new youthful managers.

                          One of Griffith's most trusted friends and respected scouts was Joe Engel, who he placed in charge of the Chattanooga Lookouts at Engel Stadium. Engel was the first to scout Cronin for the club and said, "I knew I was watching a great player. I bought Cronin at a time he was hitting .221. When I told Clark Griffith what I had done, he screamed, "You paid $7,500 for that bum? Well, you didn't buy him for me. You bought him for yourself. He's not my ballplayer - he's yours. You keep him and don't either you or Cronin show up at the ballpark." Cronin became the best player on the World Series winning Senators club in the early 1930s and even married Griffith's niece.

                          When Griffith died, ownership of the club passed into the hands of his adopted son, Calvin Griffith, who led the charge to have the club moved to Minnesota and become the Twins.

                          Clark Griffith was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1946.

                          Some of his player photos

                          Clark's bio from 1933's Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson, pp. 44.-------------------------------------------1933


                          around 1908-------------------------------------------------------Clark Griffith family, November 24, 1925, Washington, DC

                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM.


                          • Frank Joseph Navin:

                            Owner: Detroit Tigers, 1904 - 1935

                            Born: April 18, 1871, Adrian, MI,
                            Died: November 13, 1935, Detroit, MI, age 64.---d. Suffered heart attack while horse-riding.

                            Wife: Grace Shaw, born around 1879, died October 27, 1960, Detroit, MI.

                            Detroit Tigers' owner (1908-35); Became half-owner (1907), Started as a bookkeeper/cashier in Detroit state insurance agency. Later, entered law office of his brother, Thomas J. Navin, and took law classes. Admitted to Michigan state bar. In 1903, asked to help run Detroit club for owner, S. F. Angus. He purchased $5,000. worth of stock in club, when Bill Yawkey bought team. Navin became almost half-owner in 1907.

                            Bill Yawkey was the owner of the Detroit Tigers from 1903 to 1919. Hew inherited the team from his father, William Yawkey Sr., who had bought it earlier that year. Yawkey only had a limited interest in running the club, and let President Frank Navin handle most matters. He sold Navin almost half of the club in 1908, and receded completely into the background after that, although he remained the Tigers' principal owner.

                            He was the uncle and adoptive father of Boston Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey. He died at age 43, a victim of the influenza epidemic of 1919. After his death, Frank Navin bought out from Yawkey's estate the small amounts of share required for him to become the controlling owner, while the remainder of the shares were sold to Walter Briggs and John Kelsey, two businessmen who had made their fortune in the automobile industry.
                            Frank Navin: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            Frank Joseph Navin was an American accountant, lawyer, and professional sports owner. He was the principal owner of the Detroit Tigers in Major League Baseball for 27 years, from 1908 to 1935. He also served as vice president and acting president of the American League.

                            Born in Adrian, Michigan, Navin was one of nine children of Irish immigrants. He attended the Detroit College of Law and worked as both a lawyer and accountant. Navin became president of the Detroit Tigers in 1903 and rose to principal club owner on January 9, 1908. Some of his key acquisitions included Ty Cobb, Hughie Jennings, and Mickey Cochrane, which helped the Tigers win five American League pennants (1907, 1908, 1909, 1934, and 1935) and a World Series championship in 1935. In 1912, he established Navin Field, named it after himself. He partially sold the club to Walter Briggs.

                            Navin died at age 64 in Detroit, Michigan, one month after the Tigers won their first championship title. He had been riding one of his horses at the Detroit Riding and Hunt Club when he suffered a heart attack. Navin was buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Southfield, Michigan where the family mausoleum was decorated by Corrado Parducci and is guarded by two tigers by American animalier Frederick Roth.

                            Bibliography: Burton, Clarence. "Frank J. Navin," The City of Detroit, Michigan: 1701-1922, vol. III. Detroit: S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1922. pp. 772-75

                            Frank's bio/photo (below left) as they appeared in 1933's Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson, pp. 36.

                            -------Owner Frank Navin, 1933

                            Conferring with his manager, Ty Cobb, 1921-22, Navin Field, Detroit.

                            Frank Navin, Judge Landis, Mickey Cochrane: September 5, 1934.------------------------------------------------------------September 21, 1935: Frank Navin, Judge Landis.

                            With Ty Cobb, signing his 1911 contract.

                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM.


                            • Thomas Austin Yawkey:

                              Owner: Boston Red Sox, February, 1933 - 1976

                              Born: February 21, 1903, Detroit, MI
                              Died: July 9, 1976, Boston, MA, age 73, d. leukemia, cremated, ashes scattered over Winyah Bay, SC
                              Tom Yawkey: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                              Thomas Austin Yawkey, born Thomas Austin (February 21, 1903 - July 9, 1976), was an American industrialist and Major League Baseball executive. Born in Detroit, Michigan, Yawkey became president of the Boston Red Sox in 1933, and was the sole owner of the team for 44 seasons, longer than anyone in baseball history.

                              He purchased a struggling team after the infamous Babe Ruth transaction, dedicating his time and finances for the rest of his life to building winning teams. His teams' best seasons occurred in 1946, 1967 and 1975 when the Red Sox captured the American League pennant, and then went on to lose each World Series in seven games against the St. Louis Cardinals (1946, 1967) and Cincinnati Reds (1975). He would never achieve his ultimate goal of winning a World Series championship.

                              Charges of racism
                              Yawkey has been accused of being a racist for his apparent reluctance to employ African American players with the Red Sox, including passing on signing Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson. It was not until 1959 that the Red Sox became the last Major League team to field an African American player (Pumpsie Green), 12 years after Robinson's rookie season with the Brooklyn Dodgers (and almost three years after Robinson's retirement in 1956).

                              Yawkey was a generous and popular man and proved a strong voice in major league councils. He also served as American League vice president between 1956 and 1973. He died in Boston at 73 years of age; his wife, Jean R. Yawkey, became president of the club following his death. The street in Boston that Fenway Park is on, Yawkey Way, is named after him.

                              A chain of islands off the coast of Georgetown, South Carolina make up the Yawkey Heritage Preserve, a nature preserve formed from land willed to the DNR by Tom Yawkey. It consists of North and South Islands and a majority of Cat Island. [4]

                              Tom Yawkey was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1980.

                              Bryant, Howard. Shut Out: Race and Baseball in Boston, New York: Routledge, 2002
                              Halberstam, David. Summer of '49, New York: William Morrow and Company, 1989
                              Shaughnessy, Dan. The Curse of the Bambino, New York: Penguin Books, 1991

                              Tom's bio/photo, 1933's Who's Who in Major League Baseball,
                              edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson, pp. 30.

                              Ted Williams signing contract, February 3, 1956: $110,000.

                              October 3, 1946: Tom Yawkey and Joe Cronin Watching Ball Game

                              Tom Yawkey (l) and Joe Cronin (c), respective owner and club manager of the
                              Boston Red Sox, watch the Brooklyn Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals at Ebbets
                              Field during Game 2 of the 1946 National League Championships. The two men are
                              scouting for the Sox, for the winner of the NL Championships will meet the Red Sox
                              in the World Series.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1940: Tom Yawkey / Eddie Collins (Red Sox GM)

                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-12-2009, 09:17 PM.


                              • --------------------------------------------------------------------------The Shibe Family

                                Benjamin Franklin Shibe:

                                Co-Owner: Philadelphia Athletics, 1901 - 1922

                                Born: January 28, 1838, Philadelphia, PA
                                Died: January 14, 1922, Philadelphia, PA, age 83

                                Sporting News' Obituary, by James C. Isaminger, January 19, 1922, pp. 2.

                                Benjamin F. Shibe (January 23, 1838 - January 14, 1922) was an American executive in Major League Baseball who was half-owner of the Philadelphia Athletics from 1901 until his death. Frank Leonardo Hough was a 25% owner until he died September 15, 1913. He then sold his shares to Connie Mack.

                                He is credited with the invention of the machinery to make standard baseballs. Shibe Park was named in his honor from 1909 to 1954, at which time it was re-named Connie Mack Stadium.

                                Partner of Al Reach in sporting goods, bought into the Philadelphia baseball franchise, when AL first formed in 1901.

                                Ben Shibe: December 16, 1910

                                Thomas Stevenson Shibe: (son of Ben)

                                Owner: Philadelphia Athletics, January 14, 1922 - February 16, 1936

                                Born: January 13, 1866, New Jersey
                                Died: February 16, 1936, Philadelphia, PA, age 70
                                Buried: West Laurel Hill Cemetery, Bala Cynwyd, Montgomery County, PA[/B]

                                Tom inherited both the club/Reach company upon the death of his father, Ben in 1922.

                                Tom came into the AL in 1901 when he bought stock in the Athletics their first year in the AL.

                                However, the Shibes controlled the Reach company, makers of sporting goods and athletic equipment, and Tom turned over to his brother John the general management of the ball club.

                                He played amateur ball until 1891, and until 1918, put on a uniform and worked out with the Athletics on their training trips.

                                Since his concern made the baseballs used in the AL, he contended that the over-abundance of home runs was due to a decline in pitching, shorter fences and freer swingers.

                                Tom was a member of the Penn Athletic club, the Merchants' and Manufacturers' and other clubs in Philadelphia.

                                2 shots of Tom Shibe.

                                Ida Virginia Shibe: (wife of Thomas)

                                Owner: Philadelphia Athletics, July 11, 1937 - August 30, 1950

                                Born: June 17, 1871, Pennsylvania
                                Died: May 13, 1952, Philadelphia, PA (Germantown), age 71[/B]

                                Ida inherited the club upon the death of her brother-in-law, John, in 1937. She sold the Athletics club to the Mack brothers, Roy/Earle, August 30, 1950, thus finally ending the Shibe family's interests in the Athletics. She had bequeathed some of her stock to her children, and those interests were also included in the Mack buyout of the Shibes.

                                Roy/Earle Mack paid a total of $1,750,000. to acquire full ownership rights to the Athletics. Included in the buyout were Mrs. Connie Mack, Sr., Connie Jr., the heirs of the Shibes; Ida Shibe, Mrs. Mary Reach, Mrs. Elfrida Macfarland, and her 2 sons; Benjamin S., and Frank S. Macfarland.

                                -------------------Tom Shibe------------------------------Tom Shibe------------------------Ida Shibe---------------------Ida Shibe

                                John D. Shibe: (son of Ben)

                                Owner: Philadelphia Athletics, February 16, 1936 - July 11, 1937

                                Born: November 20, 1873, Philadelphia, PA
                                Died: July 11, 1937, Philadelphia, PA, age 71---d. pneumonia[/B]

                                John inherited the club upon the death of his brother Tom in 1936.

                                The younger son of Ben, who died in 1922, John was vice-president and secretary of the Athletics. He was in charge as GM of the business end of the club.

                                He spent a small fortune on speed boat racing. For years he tried to win the American cup, but never succeeded. His friends called him the Thomas Lipton of speed boating.

                                He devoted his time to the business management and left the league affairs to his brother, Tom and Connie Mack. At the close of seasons, he turned his attention to hunting. He was associated with the Athletics since 1901.

                                --------------------------John Shibe--------------------------------------John Shibe
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM.


                                Ad Widget