Gabby Hartnett and Al Capone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabby Hartnett and Al Capone

I remember reading about Babby Hartnett signing a ball for Al Capone's son in the New Bill James Historical Abstract. But today was the first time I actually saw the pictures. James says Hartnett was signing for Capone's nephew but the other sources say it was Capone's son. Also, Hartnett met Capone at Comiskey Park, not Wrigley Field.

Hartnett NBJHBA.jpg

Gabby Harnett Al Capone 1.jpg

Gabby Harnett Al Capone 2.jpg
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-21-2013, 08:44 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

A Capone biography that I read said that the kid was actually a stand-in for Sonny Capone.

Comment

I'd guess that the photo was really taken at Comiskey Park during a Chicago City Series. Hartnett is wearing a road uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        I remember reading about Babby Hartnett signing a ball for Al Capone's son in the New Bill James Historical Abstract. But today the was the first time I actually saw the pictures.
        Really??
        I thought that I'd posted a version of the second one a long time ago, because I've had it on file for several years.
        Anyways, it's a classic...especially for those of us who've been watching HBO's "Boardwalk Empire".
        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
          I'd guess that the photo was really taken at Comiskey Park during a Chicago City Series. Hartnett is wearing a road uniform.
          According to this website the photo was taken on September 9, 1931 at Comiskey Park. It further states that the boy is in fact Capone's son.

http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id134.htm
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X