• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rowdy Jack O'Connor, RF/CF/C/1B, 1892-98

O'Connor 2.jpg O'Connor.jpg

Frank Boyd, Catcher, 1893

Boyd.jpg

Boyd played only two games in the major leagues, on May 18 and May 19, 1893.

Buck Ewing, RF, 1893-94

Ewing cabinet.jpg
    Last edited by RUKen; 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Bobby Wallace, P/3B, 1894-98

Wallace.jpg

Comment

Lou Criger, C, 1896-98

Criger.jpg

Comment

Jake Virtue, 1B/CF, 1890-94
          (Moved to post #24)
          Last edited by RUKen; 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Where did you find the ID's for the top 1898 photo? I believe it was in fact taken in 1899. Cy Young trained with Cleveland in 1899 in Hot Springs, AR. Plus, I'm pretty sure the player labeled here as Paschal is James Paschal, who was only with Cleveland during spring training in 1899 (which means the photo pretty much has to have been taken in Hot Springs).
            Arkansas Baseball Encyclopedia.
            My Flickr.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkBaseball View Post
              Where did you find the ID's for the top 1898 photo? I believe it was in fact taken in 1899. Cy Young trained with Cleveland in 1899 in Hot Springs, AR. Plus, I'm pretty sure the player labeled here as Paschal is James Paschal, who was only with Cleveland during spring training in 1899 (which means the photo pretty much has to have been taken in Hot Springs).
              My source for the names is this website: http://vbbc.forumotion.com/t2178-early-teams

The names are written in beneath the image, apparently from around the time of the photo, so I am willing to trust the IDs. The year, on the other hand, is entered above the photo by the person who posted it on the website. You may be absolutely right about it dating from early 1899, which would make it an even more interesting picture. Can you share what you know about Paschal?

Edited to add: Bates (bottom row on the right in the picture in question) played for Dayton for most of 1898, and did not pitch in a regular-season game with Cleveland until October 7th of that year. He was assigned to St. Louis to start the 1899 season, but was transferred back to Cleveland to finish the season. I'm convinced now that you are correct about the timing of the photo, and I have moved that photo from post #13 to post #14.
              Last edited by RUKen; 02-21-2014, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RUKen View Post
                Can you share what you know about Paschal?.
                James Paschal was a native of Little Rock, near Hot Springs where Cleveland trained in 1899. Apparently, when Cleveland was in Little Rock in mid-March enroute to Hot Springs, Paschal was invited to tryout with the team. However, as far as I can tell, when Cleveland/St. Louis left Hot Springs in early April, Paschal was not with the team. He was reportedly a good player (though I've found no other instance in which he was engaged to play professionally) but was too small for Cleveland's liking. Of course, considering the condition of that 1899 Cleveland team, it might've been a mistake to leave Paschal behind.

Here's all the info I have on Paschal, with sources: http://arkbaseball.com/tiki-index.ph...=James+Paschal
                Arkansas Baseball Encyclopedia.
                My Flickr.

Comment

Thanks, ArkBaseball, for bringing this to my attention and helping to correctly date (and place) the image!

Comment

Among the player images between posts #17 and #31 I've just added some new "Just So" images from 1893 (and replaced a few with improved images).

Comment

In post #8 I have just added a larger version of the composite below, which I created using the images from the Just So tobacco cards for most of the players. The John Clarkson image is from a studio portrait that was used for the tobacco card, and the Jimmy McAleer image is also from a studio portrait that was probably used for his tobacco card, but it hasn't been found yet. The Chippy McGarr Just So card is also among the missing, so I used the cameo portrait from the 1894 composite; it is very likely an 1893 portrait as well.

1893 NL Cleveland - reduced.jpg

Edited to add: A few of the images have been upgraded as higher quality photos have become available.
                      Last edited by RUKen; 08-01-2014, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Jersey Bakley added to post #21 (replacing Larry Twitchell in the wrong uniform).

See also the improved version of the 1889 Spiders in post #4 and Chief Zimmer (with bat) in post #18.
                        Last edited by RUKen; 04-03-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Louis Sockalexis, RF, 1897-1899

Sockalexis 1897.jpg

Comment

Ed Beatin, Pitcher, 1889-1891

Beatin.jpg

A new Ed McKean photo (posing with bat) has been added to post #17, along with an improved image of the fielding pose. Also, two new photos of Cinders O'Brien have been added to post #20.
                            Last edited by RUKen; 06-11-2014, 05:30 AM.

Comment

RF/LF Mortimer Hogan, 1888

Hogan 1888.jpg

Comment

The following additions have been made to previous posts in this thread:

#4) 1889 team photo - IDs have been added
                                #8) Upgraded composite of the 1893 team using the cabinet photos listed below
                                #11) Composite caricature of the 1896 team
                                #17) Ed McKean 1893 cabinet photo
                                #18) Chief Zimmer 1893 cabinet photo
                                #23) Patsy Tebeau 1893 cabinet photo
                                #25) Cy Young 1893 cabinet photo
                                #28) Cupid Childs 1891 cabinet photo
                                #31) Buck Ewing 1893 cabinet photo

All of the cabinet photos and the 1896 composite were from the personal collection of Cy Young, who signed his cabinet the and composite. The other cabinet photos bear the signatures of the respective players.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X