X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quit being such a homer...

Originally posted by YankeeMan
    ...You'll lose your creditability. Bobby Orr did NOT revolutionize hockey --- Wayne Gretzky did.
    How can you even say that with a straight face?
    You must just be trying to get me going, right?

Wayne Gretzky the greatest? ...different era...
    Well, maybe there are are few other players that are comparable for sure. You may say:"Wayne Gretzky has 62 NHL records!"
    If stats are your thing, go watch baseball. (also a great sport)
    The game was played a lot more physical when Orr played. Watch some tapes of games from the early 70's. You will see that there's more to it than meets the eye.
    Wayne Gretzky was a great player. It is a known fact that he played the game a little softer than others and players didn't hit him the way Pat Quinn (of the Maple Leafs) hit Bobby Orr a few years back.(knocked him out cold)
    As impressive as his stats are, I don't believe that it can truly tell how great a player he was. Maybe the fact that he is the only defenceman to win the Art Ross Trophy (most points in an N.H.L. season) and did it twice.

If there's one player that went betond setting NHL records and changed the game itself, Bobby Orr was the pioneer and Gretzky was one of the many beneficiaries.

Stats are only an indicator.
    (and mighty handy for those who don't understand the game well)

Code:
    Calder Trophy (NHL top rookie)
    ...highly touted rookie more than lives up to great expectations.
    1966/67 season

Norris Trophy (NHL top defenceman)
    ...eight consecutive years of dominating the blue line.
    1967/68
    1968/69
    1969/70
    1970/71
    1971/72
    1972/73
    1973/74
    1974/75

Art Ross Trophy (NHL scoring title)
    ...that's right, the only defenceman to win the NHL scoring title ever! He did it twice.
    1969/70
    1974/75

Hart Trophy (NHL MVP regular season)
    ...when the Bruins came to town, the opponents job was simple: shut down Orr, and you may beat the Bruins.
    1969/70
    1970/71
    1971/72

Conn Smythe Trophy (NHL playoff MVP)
    ...both years that the Bruins won the Cup, Bobby Orr scored the winning goal.
    1969/70
    1971/72

Lou Marsh Trophy (top Canadian Male Athlete)
    1970/71

Stanley Cup (what it's all about)
    ...until Bobby's arrival in the late 1960s, (and a key trade with Chicago) the Bruins were a bad team.

Canada Cup (series with Russia, part 2)
    ...Bobby wins the MVP "on one leg". Obviously his knees were hurting, hockey fans get one last chance to watch Orr at the top of his game.
    1976 MVP

Lester B. Pearson Award (Most Outstanding NHL Player)
    ...selected by the National Hockey League Player's Association

Lester Patrick Trophy (Oustanding Contribution To Hockey In The United States)

Plus Minus Rating Record +128! (based on regular season even strength goals) Amazing! ...hockey's brightest star and great role model made it easy for "Canada's Game" to catch on.
    Bobby Orr Did it ALL! Gretsky 1 dimensional...
    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: Quit being such a homer...

Originally posted by KenFougere
      How can you even say that with a straight face?
      You must just be trying to get me going, right?

Wayne Gretzky the greatest? ...different era...
      Well, maybe there are are few other players that are comparable for sure. You may say:"Wayne Gretzky has 62 NHL records!"
      If stats are your thing, go watch baseball. (also a great sport)
      The game was played a lot more physical when Orr played. Watch some tapes of games from the early 70's. You will see that there's more to it than meets the eye.
      Wayne Gretzky was a great player. It is a known fact that he played the game a little softer than others and players didn't hit him the way Pat Quinn (of the Maple Leafs) hit Bobby Orr a few years back.(knocked him out cold)
      As impressive as his stats are, I don't believe that it can truly tell how great a player he was. Maybe the fact that he is the only defenceman to win the Art Ross Trophy (most points in an N.H.L. season) and did it twice.

If there's one player that went betond setting NHL records and changed the game itself, Bobby Orr was the pioneer and Gretzky was one of the many beneficiaries.

Stats are only an indicator.
      (and mighty handy for those who don't understand the game well)

Yawn. Is Bobby Orr's number retired throughout the NHL?

Anywho, let's get back to baseball -- time running out on the
      BoSox? Opinions?
      WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Quit being such a homer...

Yawn. Is Bobby Orr's number retired throughout the NHL?

Anywho, let's get back to baseball -- time running out on the
        BoSox? Opinions?
        Time's running out?

No, I think there's just enough time left...
        Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
          This is post 1941, when Ted Williams did a spectacular thing.
          Yeah, so'd Joe D. Anyway, who won the WS that year again? Ken, I don't hear youuuuuuuuuuu!
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Quit being such a homer...

Time's running out?

No, I think there's just enough time left...
            Give up now or we shall annihilate you and everything down there. We'll also steal your chowda and eat your lunch!
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• I'm too tired to make coherent posts right now, so I'll just go in bullet form.

The Yanks survived a Jeff Weaver start. The lead is rising and the magic number is shrinking (just keep hitting like this next month!). Finally a very happy birthday to Bernie Williams. Makes me feel a little older, I remember him when he was a 21 year-old kid.

P.S. I hate to admit it but if you ask me today, Michigan will win the National Championship; Penn State is retooling for 2005 :gt.

P.P.S. How can Bobby Orr have revolutionized the sport if he wasn't the best at his posistion in his era?

Comment

• Ted's feat was much more spectacular than Joe D hitting in 56 games. It takes more luck than it does skill. And, hitting .400 for an entire season is alot more impressive than hitting .400 over 56 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                  Yeah, so'd Joe D. Anyway, who won the WS that year again? Ken, I don't hear youuuuuuuuuuu!
                  You mean who bought the WS, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                    Yeah, so'd Joe D.

Williams was the last player to hit .400 in a season, accomplishing the feat in 1941.
                    Amazingly, he was not named American League Most Valuable Player that season, as the Yankees' Joe DiMaggio stole the honor. Just one of many times Ted was shafted!

Attached Files
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• huh?

Originally posted by BC498
                      I'm too tired to make coherent posts right now, so I'll just go in bullet form.

P.P.S. How can Bobby Orr have revolutionized the sport if he wasn't the best at his posistion in his era?
                      I'm sitting here...just shaking my head thinking, you had to of wrote this statement because of sleep deprivation..
                      {Either that or . . . you never saw a hockey game before 1990.}_
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                        Ted's feat was much more spectacular than Joe D hitting in 56 games. It takes more luck than it does skill. And, hitting .400 for an entire season is alot more impressive than hitting .400 over 56 games.
                        I see you guys are too slow to realize when I pull your legs, right?

Earth to New England, earth to New England: you've all been had!

BTW, Joe D was better than Teddy! *runs and hides*

Comment

• Re: huh?

I'm sitting here...just shaking my head thinking, you had to of wrote this statement because of sleep deprivation..
                          {Either that or . . . you never saw a hockey game before 1990.}_
                          Wasn't Bobby Orr one of the top defensemen in the game? I never followed hockey at all, unless you count the 1980 Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
                            You mean who bought the WS, right?
                            Don't be silly, George was only about 10 or 12 years old by then. Wash your mouth out with soap!

Comment

• My Super Sports Saturday!

Originally posted by BC498
                              P.S. I hate to admit it but if you ask me today, Michigan will win the National Championship; Penn State is retooling for 2005 :gt.
                              MICHIGAN 38
                              notre dame 0 (as nutin', nada, zip, zilch, goose egg)

YankeeMan = U-M Class of 1990

Anywho, my super sports day continues...

Win baseball game #1 -- check!
                              Beat Notre Dame -- check!
                              Win baseball game #2 -- ???

Watch scoreboard for BoSox score --

GO ChiSox!
                              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Re: My Super Sports Saturday!

MICHIGAN 38
                                notre dame 0 (as nutin', nada, zip, zilch, goose egg)

YankeeMan = U-M Class of 1990

Anywho, my super sports day continues...

Win baseball game #1 -- check!
                                Beat Notre Dame -- check!
                                Win baseball game #2 -- ???
                                <====== UN-check?
                                Watch scoreboard for BoSox score --

GO ChiSox!
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X