Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken, Sportsline's not giving me the right facts. I figured since both games were done, they'd have it right. I'd thought it was only a 1/2 game lead, but after you'd had the double-header, I must've gotten a few wires scrambled. :o

This is what I was looking at originally: http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/standings (shows a tie)

This is what I should've looked at: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings (shows just as you've indicated)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
      Ken, Sportsline's not giving me the right facts. I figured since both games were done, they'd have it right. I'd thought it was only a 1/2 game lead, but after you'd had the double-header, I must've gotten a few wires scrambled. :o

This is what I was looking at originally: http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/standings (shows a tie)

This is what I should've looked at: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings (shows just as you've indicated)
      CBS Sportsline.com updates all statistics in the morning {once-a-day}

ESPN.com updates continuously
      . . .
      Last edited by KenFougere; 06-05-2003, 09:41 PM.
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• As far as rivalries in other sports that compare to the BoSox-Yanks....

AUBURN VS. ALABAMA..... THE IRON BOWL.

These two schools, as well as their fans, absolutely despise each other.

I honestly can't even begin to put into words the intensity of this rivalry... GOD, It's AWESOME!

All I can say is that I feel priveledged to be part of such a special tradition.

AND, WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
          CBS Sportsline.com updates all statistics in the morning {once-a-day}

ESPN.com updates continuously
          . . .
          Cripes, no wonder everybody prefers ESPN.com. I remember that at least an hour after a game, sportsline.com would have the proper standings, but I'll need to use a more reliable source now.

Oh well, first place smells mighty fine, but I'll have to hope it still smells sweet this time tomorrow, as the first place baton keeps being passed up.

For poster i8mytoes, I'd add Army-Navy as far as college football, Duke-Tar Heels for NCAA hoops, and the old Knicks/Celtics/Lakers tri-team rivalries of the 1970s and 1980s weren't anything to sneeze at either.
          Last edited by Mattingly; 06-06-2003, 07:49 AM.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Well if we're going into other sports, the Rangers/Flyers is a heated one. And then there are those fishermen on Long Island.
            Then again, once upon a time there was the prolific scoring defensemen, who skated with the grace of a gazelle Brad Park and that Orr guy. Not to mention the G.A.G. (goal-a-game) line.

But I would have to say that the Red Sox rivalry is the greatest rivalry (in the US anyway) with the exception of The Bums in the 40s and 50s.

P.S. Ken, gotta love those 1903 unis. The Pittsburgh baseball club? How much longer until we see the White Sox in shorts again? Still, the baggy uniforms are at least better than the bright red Sunday jerseys the Sox trot out nowadays.
            Last edited by BC498; 06-06-2003, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• YM...Just a short digression

Originally posted by BC498

Then again, once upon a time there was the prolific scoring defensemen, who skated with the grace of a gazelle Brad Park and that Orr guy. Not to mention the G.A.G. (goal-a-game) line.
              YM...Just a short digression from baseball

Gold Color for Bruins
              [list=1][*]That Orr guy?
              Park was a distant #2
              [*]Goal A Game line?
              Rattelle-Hadfield-Gilbert was #2 compared to Esposito-Hodge-Cashman
              *In 1971, 7 Bruins were in the Top-10
              scoring!
              [*]Rangers were always #2 in those seasons [/list=1]
              . . .
              Ken Fougère

Comment

• It never ceases to amaze me that the cubs seem to get more recognition than the cardinals as far as history goes.

Cardinals: 9 titles, 15 NL pennants

Cubs: 1908

I think the cardinals-yankees is the best interleague matchup, most of the others are just geographic. After all, if the '27 yankees were the best team of all time, they were beaten in 7 by the '26 cardinals.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheesycow
                  It never ceases to amaze me that the cubs seem to get more recognition than the cardinals as far as history goes.

Cardinals: 9 titles, 15 NL pennants

Cubs: 1908

I think the cardinals-yankees is the best interleague matchup, most of the others are just geographic. After all, if the '27 yankees were the best team of all time, they were beaten in 7 by the '26 cardinals.
                  After Bob Gibson managed to weave his way out of trouble in Game 7 in 1964, I'd say that's something. I haven't seen all of their history, but there's something there, and we'll see you and our boy Tino in a week.

The Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants both had one fierce rivalry going on, and not just with the Yanks. When the Yanks are added, that's one reason why there's such fierce anti-Yankee feelings, as guess who kept winning in October? (not bragging here)

Comment

• You bring up a good point about the yankees-cards that i didn't think about: We've got Tino, you've got Torre.

Hopefully all Tino needs to give his cardinals career a jump is a trip back to the friendly confines of the house that ruth built.

(crosses fingers)

Comment

• Actually, Tino's one great thing we have in common, someone I've often rooted for (except next weekend, of course). Anyway, he's a prime reason why lots of us will be in the Bronx cheering him on, even if he does play for the opposition.

Yeah, I remember Torre's being there. Was Bob Gibson his pitching coach there? I think he was in Atlanta, when he was the "Attitude Coach", not just the PC.

Anyway, in the 1964 WS, Game 7, Gibson was slowly fading, had the M&M Boys on deck, but managed to get the 3rd out in the 9th. Man, talk about working out of trouble!
                      Last edited by Mattingly; 06-06-2003, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Mil 9 Bos 3

How 'bout them BREWERS!
                        WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Re: Mil 9 Bos 3

Originally posted by YankeeMan
                          How 'bout them BREWERS!
                          One for the Brewsters!
                          . . . .
                          . . . .
                          Last edited by KenFougere; 06-07-2003, 02:07 PM.
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• ugg...

ya know... it's sad... neither the yankees or the sox are playing good baseball right now...

We keep going back and forth on the standings, but that only because we're both losing.
                            "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                            -Scott Stossel

Comment

• Originally posted by Biggerin
                              ugg...

ya know... it's sad... neither the yankees or the sox are playing good baseball right now...

We keep going back and forth on the standings, but that only because we're both losing.
                              Joe Torre blew Clemens' 300th opportunity by bringing in Juan Acevedo. The man couldn't pitch to save his life, and promptly gave up a 3-run HR on his first pitch.

Now that the Yanks are down 4-1, I'm going into a tiny room and sulk somewhere! Boy, this is pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Joe Torre blew Clemens' 300th opportunity by bringing in Juan Acevedo. The man couldn't pitch to save his life, and promptly gave up a 2-run HR on his first pitch.

Now that the Yanks are down 4-1, I'm going into a tiny room and sulk somewhere! Boy, this is pathetic.
                                Clemens should be SOOOOOO pissed-off at Torre. 80-something pitches? For Clemens? That's nothing for him... One pitch-...-gone!
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X