X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shame on you! Maybe you mean Mr. Mattingly

Originally posted by baseballwise
    Ken, you have really disappointed me by falling into the Bill Buckner scapegoat pit. (I'm referring to "...the Buckner-Mookie thing...." you mentioned above.)

We both know you know exactly what happened with the demise of the Red Sox TEAM in game six. If Shiraldi and the "gang" would've done their jobs, Buckner's error would just be another notation on the box score of that game. We all know that!

I'm a Bill Buckner fan AND a baseball fan, and your remark short changes them both.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it grinds on my nerves to hear that old trashing of Billy Buck. He had one of the great careers and should be remembered for his accomplishments.

It's easier to throw sand in somebody's face than to build a sand castle. Figure that out [email protected]##@%@*&^&*&^%$!!......... :-)
    Ken / Baseballwise - Re: Buckner April 2001

BBW....I'm a bit confused, the only people here (ALWAYS) bringing up the past Red Sox shortcomings is the Oh-so humble, pin-headed, I mean stripped, NY fans who salivate at every chance to apply salt into the daily re-opening of once thought healed wounds. What exactly did I say, because I try to ignore all the never-ending, references to Boston's streak of hard times.
    Anyway, we've already discussed 1986 to death {See Link Above} and I remember talking to you about how much I respect the hard-nosed, grind-em-out players who weren't blessed with the speed & size of todays players, and had to work hard to get the most out of their talent... Click link above ^ Remember?

{Besides, why would I give ammunition to the enemy?}

2003 World Series Matchup???

V S .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KenFougere; 09-20-2003, 03:01 AM.
    Ken Fougère

Comment

• He's just an endless supply of . . .

Originally posted by YankeeMan
      ...and then got swept away by the Indians.

You're just a bevy of information... How fortunate are we.

Pictured Below:
      {The YankeeMan - enjoying a lucid moment...}
      Attached Files
      Last edited by KenFougere; 09-20-2003, 04:16 AM.
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• I don't think the Cubs will have a chance to get to the playoffs. The Astros are looking too good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandman
          Everybody has done better since the return of Piazza, maybe it's just familiarity? Could be. I really don't know what's going on with Glavine. Maybe just another guy who can't play in New York? I hope not.

The defense of the two evens out somewhat, but Piazza provides the better offense, which is why I'd name him the better player.
          I generally look at overall results, and I think that the Mets, as much as I hate saying this, haven't done very well, losing about 10 of the last 11 or 12 games. The Yanks, however, have won by about the same amount.

Now, if Piazza's presence has sparked anything, then are those closer games? I mean, if you've only won 4 games in September, which includes an Atlanta sweep, and it seems that only Leiter and Trachsel are the shining stars there, then what does "calling a good game" mean?

Neither Glavine, Seo or Heilman have done really well, so based upon the end result, I can't say that Piazza calls such a great game. IMO, if he calls a great game, then shouldn't there be a victory, or at least more 3-2 losses? People were saying in August 2002 that Piazza called a great game, when the Mets lost every single home game that month.

Despite Piazza's often stellar offense, why were the Mets pitchers always losing that month? You once lost 1-0, but also lost 12-7, 10-4 twice, 9-2 and 9-0.

While many people would rate Piazza higher overall than Posada, primarily because careerwise, he's "the best offensive catcher in MLB history", I prefer to see the end results. Unlike a SS such as A-Rod, I think a catcher's influence on the pitcher and thus the game, is much more meaningful, so I believe a team's catcher has to share both the credit and the blame.

Clemens, Mussina and Wells came from other teams (and in Boomer's case, returned), but all have put up very good numbers, including in the postseason when working with Jorge Posada. Can the same be said about Mike Piazza with his set of pitchers?

When we go to the 7th or 8th inning for the pen, I see Felix Heredia, Gabe White, Mo Rivera, they've all gotten out of tight situations, be it bases loaded, 1 out, big hitter at the plate, game on the line, with Jorge behind the plate, I've seen them all come through again and again, both in the regular and (in Mo's case), in the postseason. Can you say the same thing about Mike Piazza, as to how "calling the game", if the end results are used?

If I wanted some fantasy or roto guy, I'd be nuts to choose Posada over Piazza. However, based upon how well he works his stellar stable, I'd pick Jorge Posada, as I'd like to win the game. Posada's results speak for themselves, and yes, pitching (and catching) has been one of the staples of the recent Yankee run.

Since I don't need any Albert Belle type of DH, I'll take Posada any day, thank you!
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Our offense has been horrible (We lost a well pitched game by Steve Trachsel 1-0 yesterday) . And it's not just this year eiher. Our Staff has finished quite nicely in the MLB in ERA the past few years 9th last year, 8th in 01, 3rd in 00 (World Series Year; actually had a semi-decent offense), the Mets just can't seem to score runs; 17th in 00, Dead last in 01, 21st in 02.

Comment

Our offense has been horrible (We lost a well pitched game by Steve Trachsel 1-0 yesterday) . And it's not just this year eiher. Our Staff has finished quite nicely in the MLB in ERA the past few years 9th last year, 8th in 01, 3rd in 00 (World Series Year; actually had a semi-decent offense), the Mets just can't seem to score runs; 17th in 00, Dead last in 01, 21st in 02.
              I changed "as little as I hate saying this" to "as much as I hate saying this".

Either case, I think that Piazza would have to figure out the Glavine and Seo puzzles before the "calling a good game" can be truly meaningful, IMO. I'll give him credit for Leiter and Trachsel, but he's got 5 starters, not just 2.

I also don't consider offense related to pitching, since if they lose 4-1 or 3-2, that's not too bad. However, losing again and again, especially by lots of runs, I don't think makes him look too good. While Thursday's 1-0 loss wasn't bad, Friday's 7-1 loss, then others by 7-3, 7-4, 8-6 this month, I don't believe you can laud a catcher's game-calling in those cases.

Other than an occasional blip, the Yanks haven't been losing really bad by lots of runs too often, so I've still got my confidence in Jorge. Look at Jose Contreras' recent low-scoring wins (all caught by Jorge), as well as Mo Rivera's last 14 straight saves to confirm this (some caught by backup Flaherty).
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly

I also don't consider offense related to pitching, since if they lose 4-1 or 3-2, that's not too bad. However, losing again and again, especially by lots of runs, I don't think makes him look too good.
                What I meant by that, was that the Mets have been losing lots of games in which they have gotten Gems out of their starting rotation.

Jae Seo is red hot again, and is a perfect example: He has had 3 starts in September, holding a 1.94 ERA in the month......and he's 0-3. That's definitely an offensive problem.

I really don't know what is up with Glavine, but he has been doing well, except for when he plays the Braves, 3.54 ERA against all other teams.

Heilman has also been showing good signs as of late.

Comment

• Sandman, I just noticed that your next post will be # 1962.

Comment

• Let's remember it for the Mets' Inaugural season, and not for their 120 Losses

Comment

Let's remember it for the Mets' Inaugural season, and not for their 120 Losses
                      Don't worry Sandman. The 2003 Tigers should make you feel better about that one.

Comment

What I meant by that, was that the Mets have been losing lots of games in which they have gotten Gems out of their starting rotation.

Jae Seo is a perfect example: He has had 3 starts in September, holding a 1.94 ERA in the month......and he's 0-3. That's definitely an offensive problem.

I really don't know what is up with Glavine, but he has been doing well, except for when he plays the Braves, 3.54 ERA against all other teams.

Heilman has also been showing good signs as of late.
                        Which starters have tossed gems? Piazza just came back from the DL about a month ago.

For Seo, he's lost 1-0 (vs PHI, 9/5), 7-3 (vs FLA, 9/10) and 3-2 (vs CHC, 9/16). If Piazza's caught those games, then I'll give him credit. However, if the team's overall offense isn't doing that well, he cought be Babe Ruth for all I care, that's of little relative addition, since he can't hit 2-3 RBI every game. That's why I look at overall results.

Actually preferred Gary Carter, and even if he wasn't as good offensively as Piazza, he was a big part of his team's 108 wins in 1986. As to my favorite catchers, let's just say that Bench, Dickey and Berra rank very high on the list.

Comment

• I know what you mean, I'm just trying to give myself hope .

On a side note, rumors are floating around that the Mets will pursue trades for Mike Lowell and/or Carlos Beltran in the offseason (Sporting News)

Comment

Let's remember it for the Mets' Inaugural season, and not for their 120 Losses
                            Well then hurry up and get to #1969. I heard that #41 is cheering you on!

Keep it up and call me when you get to #1986. My friend "George" wants to make Mookie an honorary Yankee, so that he can taunt Ken also.

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
                              Don't worry Sandman. The 2003 Tigers should make you feel better about that one.
                              I think someone had better pay more attention to their own team, lest they tell the viewing audience how much they love Donnie Baseball over Jay Buhner. Of course, we all know how much you'd just *love* to do that, now don't we?
                              :gt

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Well then hurry up and get to #1969. I heard that #41 is cheering you on!

Keep it up and call me when you get to #1986. My friend "George" wants to make Mookie an honorary Yankee, so that he can taunt Ken also.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X