This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YankeeMan
    ...and then got swept away by the Indians.
    And where were the Yankees when all of that happened? Look at my Av if you want a picture of the Yanks worst enemy in 1995.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
      I think someone had better pay more attention to their own team, lest they tell the viewing audience how much they love Donnie Baseball over Jay Buhner. Of course, we all know how much you'd just *love* to do that, now don't we?
      :gt
      Oh you mean like the M's destroying Hudson last night?

Comment

That's almost $10m tied up on two players. If they're still paying Rey Rey $4m to be on Sweet Lou's DL after this season, I'd be very cautious about high priced players.
        Looky here, a Yankee Fan giving us financial advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandman
          Hey, I think he wore #4. We'll have to change this to something else (don't want to upset Iron Horse's memory), but still, he's an Honorary Yankee in my book. Taking the lessons from the Babe, in one of the most famous Yankee moments that didn't even involve a Yankee!

I'll take it.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
            Oh you mean like the M's destroying Hudson last night?
            Just keep rooting for your team and I'll buy all the lattes you can drink (yeah, I'm back on the mocha thing again).

Anyway, just keep Ken out of the WC contention. Your reward if you do is the sure delight that we can certainly knock Seattle out of the run in *this* century. Your penalty, if you choose not to accept your assignment, is to show the world how much you feel that Donnie's far better than Jay Buhner ever was!

Either case, it's win-win, and my toothy grin will be all bling-bling! Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Yankees win!
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

And where were the Yankees when all of that happened? Look at my Av if you want a picture of the Yanks worst enemy in 1995.
              They cheated, they stole signs. Mmmmmm, on second thought, only Boston would do that.

OK, I've gotta cut some shuteye about now. ZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Comment

Just keep rooting for your team and I'll buy all the lattes you can drink (yeah, I'm back on the mocha thing again).

Anyway, just keep Ken out of the WC contention. Your reward if you do is the sure delight that we can certainly knock Seattle out of the run in *this* century. Your penalty, if you choose not to accept your assignment, is to show the world how much you feel that Donnie's far better than Jay Buhner ever was!

Either case, it's win-win, and my toothy grin will be all bling-bling! Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Yankees win!
                Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Yankees don't stand a chance! They'll get knocked out in the first round.

Comment

They cheated, they stole signs. Mmmmmm, on second thought, only Boston would do that.
                  Oh did you hear that Melvin accused Boston of stealing signs when the Red Sox swept them this year?

Comment

Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Yankees don't stand a chance! They'll get knocked out in the first round.
                    My evil eye wouldn't allow my lazy hand to accept this. I'll post a "playoffs proposal" later on, but basically, I'm looking for 2 weeks in the LDS, 4 in the LCS and 8 in the WS. I think it's that important. I also think a sweep should double the length of time.

After this, if there are more fans of one team than the other (or more anti-Yankee than pro-Yankee), we could simply have more fans of the losing team wearing the Yankee (err, I meant winning) av, while if the other loses, he/she just wears the opposing sigs & avs longer, as multiplied by how many opponents he/she went against.

I'll explain this evening (eastern time).

Comment

Oh did you hear that Melvin accused Boston of stealing signs when the Red Sox swept them this year?
                      I've never heard of any relievers needing to see how their own hitters are doing. Which reliever admires their own hitters? Looks like lots of opportunity to pull a "Giants in 1951 pennant" move to me.

Comment

I've never heard of any relievers needing to see how their own hitters are doing. Which reliever admires their own hitters? Looks like lots of opportunity to pull a "Giants in 1951 pennant" move to me.
                        I can't wait until Ken sees that one.

Comment

That's almost $10m tied up on two players.
                          Only 10 Mill for both of those guys? Deal, I'll take it. Both have good bats, good speed, and good gloves.

If they're still paying Rey Rey $4m to be on Sweet Lou's DL after this season, I'd be very cautious about high priced players.
                          Rey Ordonez' and Bobby Valentine's contracts both expire after this season, so there will be no more players outside of the Mets' org. on their Payroll.

For a team that wants to get out of the dumps (rebuild), you don't need any superstars.
                          That's what they should be doing, but Wilpon and Duquette are looking for a quick fix. Plus, by trading for Lowell or Beltran, those are two good young players, that could start the foundation of this ball club along with Jose Reyes. It won't be like trading for the 35 year old Alomar or Vaughn or Burnitz.

If given a choice between A-Road and Pujols in there, *or* a competent starter, reliever, plugging the holes in CF and RF, I'd take the latter. My reasoning is that one person can only do so much by himself. Look at A-Rod and Piazza.
                          I would too, but you have to realize, by getting Lowell and Beltran, you'd be plugging holes in Right and Second (wigginton shifts to second, his natural position, and Jeff Duncan or Cedeno play Right to make room for Beltran in center), and you'd be getting the star players on top of that to put around Mike Piazza in the Batting Order.

I really think you Mets fans are doing a disservice to yourselves by getting all the "fantasy" guys like Vlad, Tejada, etc. Didn't Steve Phillips fall on his face trying to do that? Besides, Juan Gone was gone half of last season, so be happy he never took Wilpon's money.

That wasn't exactly his mistake, his mistake was going for the fantasy players....that were older, and thus more likely to be injured or start declining. If you get a Mike Lowell or a Carlos Beltran, you get a guy 25-28 years old, entering his prime.

Plug the holes with good talented people who'll bust their hump for you every day, and you'll win a few games.

You also have to realize that one of the holes the Mets have is another Slugger, another superstar, and better defensive players.

Just go down a few tiers for who you'd like, and several more for how much you can pay. A team with a low W% shouldn't have a huge payroll IMO.
                          Of course it shouldn't, and in the last couple of seasons, the Mets haven't spent it wisely. But! their payroll is already down to around 86 mill, and will go down even further this season when Astacio's, Ordonez' and Valentine's Contracts expire, and when they get insurance money from the Injured Mo Vaughn.

Comment

Hey, I think he wore #4. We'll have to change this to something else (don't want to upset Iron Horse's memory), but still, he's an Honorary Yankee in my book. Taking the lessons from the Babe, in one of the most famous Yankee moments that didn't even involve a Yankee!

I'll take it.
                            Mookie? I can't remember what number he wore as a player, but I know when he was the Mets' 1B Coach, he wore #1.

Comment

• Mookie wore #1 until 1989, when he switched to #3.

Comment

The Mariners won't even make it to the playoffs.
                                2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X