Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Re: Wow!

    Originally posted by Mattingly History must be dictating the future in Yankeeland!
    It seem history always plays a part in YankeeLand. It seems to play a part in "other" parts of the country as well.
    WORLD CHAMPIONS!

    1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

    1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


    1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

    Comment


    • Re: Re: Re: Wow!

      Originally posted by YankeeMan
      It seem history always plays a part in YankeeLand. It seems to play a part in "other" parts of the country as well.
      Sure nuff, buddy! Now we can reveal our secret weapon:

      Com-Pettitte-or

      Andy Pettitte fanned 10 in Game 2, a career playoff high.

      What pressure? Andy Pettitte remained cool before collecting a clutch 4-1 win Thursday over the Twins in a performance both he and the Yankees needed badly, Buster Olney writes.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

      Comment


      • I'd like to say that Sandman's "I Hate The Yankees" 1000 - times post is a complete waste of valuable server space...

        We all get your point - and frankly... we like the fact that you "hate" them - we wouldn't want someone as "mature" as yourself sitting in our bleachers...

        BTW: Most true- die hard Yankees fans don't have the same animosity toward all of you Yankee haters. We're too busy celebrating pride - tradition and excellence to even think about your envy (masked as hate) and your constant insults. How can you not study the history of baseball (in any capacity) and give them their props. Good guys like the Iron Horse are true heroes in every sense of the word. You may not like them - but you have to respect them.

        Most of us Yankee fans even RESPECT the Red Sox - their undying loyal fans - and the storied history of their rivalry together. We love what it brings to the game.

        So take a look at yourself Sandman, can you honestly say you actually "hate" a baseball team?
        The Pinstripe Press
        http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/pinstripepress/

        Comment


        • Oh... Mattingly - here I am trying convince everyone that we don't harbor the same hatred that they do in an effort to make us seem mature - and you post this?

          Cold man, cold...
          The Pinstripe Press
          http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/pinstripepress/

          Comment


          • Originally posted by The Mick
            Oh... Mattingly - here I am trying convince everyone that we don't harbor the same hatred that they do in an effort to make us seem mature - and you post this?

            Cold man, cold...
            Posted what? I don't see nothing.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

            Comment


            • Yeah... I see it's been removed... it was nice - just funny timing after my previous post.
              The Pinstripe Press
              http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/pinstripepress/

              Comment


              • I'd actually wondered how it would fit right after your post. However, since someone had sent it to me, I couldn't resist.

                I'll post when all is said & done. We'll see what Sandman has to say in reply to you.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • I just hope he uses less than 1001 words this time...
                  The Pinstripe Press
                  http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/pinstripepress/

                  Comment


                  • Same here. While doing my laundry on Tuesday, some Mets fan was cheering for every Twins hit, including Torii rounding the bases on errors. He wouldn't be the first, and while it's cute to "root for your team plus the Yankees' opponents", if you're rooting more against the Yanks than for your team, you've become victimized by the obsession.

                    I'll always root against Boston, but I firmly root for my team. I think Mets fans would be wise to do the same, since 2004 should have younger players, lower payroll.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment


                    • Re: Re: E X T R A - I N N I N G S

                      Originally posted by tearforamariner
                      Would you like Armando Benitez Ken? The M's would be happy to trade him for either Nomar or Mueller.
                      No thanks...We have PLENTY of mediocrity in the bullpen already...
                      Last edited by KenFougere; 10-03-2003, 02:09 PM.
                      Ken Fougère

                      Comment


                      • I'm sorry....

                        But this is just funny, kinda like the "anti-Yankee" cheer that went up at the Patriots Super Bowl parade.
                        Attached Files
                        WORLD CHAMPIONS!

                        1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

                        1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962


                        1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

                        Comment


                        • Less time than a NY minute?

                          Originally posted by YankeeMan
                          I'm sorry....

                          But this is just funny....
                          Sorry?
                          I can just imagine how long it took you to decide to post it.
                          Ken Fougère

                          Comment


                          • Re: Less time than a NY minute?

                            Originally posted by KenFougere
                            Sorry?
                            I can just imagine how long it took you to decide to post it.
                            Actually, it takes most Yankee fans 0.00000001 second to decide to post this. Something about that is uniquely irresistible!

                            Anyway, Ken, be glad you posted polls instead of betting. I'd have loved to have seen you in an A's av!

                            Now then, how badly will Boston lose, and how will they have that elusive October victory snatched away from their greasy paws? It's like someone prepares a fine meal, great bottle of win or bubbly, and then they snatch it away just as you're about to dig in!

                            Let me think of a several ways that you guys could lose, all seeming like a train wreck happening before your very startled eyes!

                            EDIT: changed "Let me think of a few ways that you guys could lose, all seeming like a train wreck happening before your very started eyes!" to "Let me think of a several ways that you guys could lose, all seeming like a train wreck happening before your very startled eyes!"
                            Last edited by Mattingly; 10-04-2003, 12:21 PM.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by The Mick
                              I'd like to say that Sandman's "I Hate The Yankees" 1000 - times post is a complete waste of valuable server space...

                              We all get your point - and frankly... we like the fact that you "hate" them - we wouldn't want someone as "mature" as yourself sitting in our bleachers...

                              BTW: Most true- die hard Yankees fans don't have the same animosity toward all of you Yankee haters. We're too busy celebrating pride - tradition and excellence to even think about your envy (masked as hate) and your constant insults. How can you not study the history of baseball (in any capacity) and give them their props. Good guys like the Iron Horse are true heroes in every sense of the word. You may not like them - but you have to respect them.

                              Most of us Yankee fans even RESPECT the Red Sox - their undying loyal fans - and the storied history of their rivalry together. We love what it brings to the game.

                              So take a look at yourself Sandman, can you honestly say you actually "hate" a baseball team?
                              I have to agree that ANY message merely repeating "Ihate...ANYBODY" is a waste of time. However, I AM intensly frustrated by the Yankees, and have been for the past several years, as their revenues have far outpaced...oh let's admit it, lapped several times over, those of other clubs. I'm willing to admit that they've done a pretty good job of managing their immense advantage over the rest of the league, but it's about time for Yankee fans to admit that advantage EXISTS. Yes, it IS possible for a team to come out of MLBs financial ghetto (the AL Central) and beat the Yankees in a short series. (And, yes, I do hope it happens.) And yes, the Royals were a nice story this year, and the A's and Twins have been for the last couple, but these are the exceptions that prove the rule.
                              For the other teams in the East, until something is done about baseballs revenue discrepencies (and the fact that any team with its own NETWORK can HIDE immense sums of money) or Steinbrenner goes back to being a full time "general manager", the best that can ever be hoped for is the wild card.
                              And that's not right. Not in sports, which, last time I checked, wasn't supposed to be about who had the most cash.

                              4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by bigtime39
                                I have to agree that ANY message merely repeating "Ihate...ANYBODY" is a waste of time. However, I AM intensly frustrated by the Yankees, and have been for the past several years, as their revenues have far outpaced...oh let's admit it, lapped several times over, those of other clubs. I'm willing to admit that they've done a pretty good job of managing their immense advantage over the rest of the league, but it's about time for Yankee fans to admit that advantage EXISTS. Yes, it IS possible for a team to come out of MLBs financial ghetto (the AL Central) and beat the Yankees in a short series. (And, yes, I do hope it happens.) And yes, the Royals were a nice story this year, and the A's and Twins have been for the last couple, but these are the exceptions that prove the rule.
                                I don' think that there's anything wrong with a team having a high revenue. If anything, I think it's a great thing for baseball. I think I've heard the NFL being more popular, so whatever is a cash cow for the team, I believe that's a good thing for baseball. If that happens to be the team I root for, more the better.

                                Since the revenue sharing is presently in place, don't other teams already profit from the Yankees' earnings? Should the Yankees just start making less money? Do you have a viable method for other teams to earn more?

                                As to the advantage existing, yes, I'll admit this. You can buy a better car for $100,000 than one for $40,000 or $60,000. However, can you still get to the big race time after time? Please note, I'm not saying that $ somehow "buys enter" into the playoffs. I'm saying, "Can you spend the money well enough to be competitive year after year?"

                                There have been other teams with high payrolls, such as the Rangers, Mets and many others, some of whom haven't made the playoffs in quite awhile. Meanwhile, we're playing the low payroll Twins. Neither Arizona nor Anaheim, both lower payroll teams, have made the playoffs, despite winning WS in consecutive years.

                                I believe it takes more than having big names and big stars, but winning the games you need to win and staying in front of a team like Boston, which has some of the most amazing offense imaginable, from top to bottom. I believe it's called good management of the team as a whole, and from Torre on the field. He's not perfect, but he has gotten the team to win, despite a sometimes anemic offense.

                                For the small market teams, I'm fully in support of their inclusion in the playoffs. In fact, I've even said before that I liked seeing the Cubs and Marlins in the NLCS. Please see the thread in Current Events, started by "baseballwise" about the last game of the year.

                                As to the Royals' story, I think that's why so many people said that Pena was the likely manager of the year, right? Many Yankee fans were supportive of this improvement also. As much as many of us like to see the other teams do well, we, like anyone else, still wants our team to win.
                                For the other teams in the East, until something is done about baseballs revenue discrepencies (and the fact that any team with its own NETWORK can HIDE immense sums of money) or Steinbrenner goes back to being a full time "general manager", the best that can ever be hoped for is the wild card.

                                And that's not right. Not in sports, which, last time I checked, wasn't supposed to be about who had the most cash.
                                As to YES, I'm unsure of the financial advantages, as I've heard about from other teams' fans. In either case, does anybody know how much NESN pays the Red Sox to broadcast their games? Doesn't the Chicago Tribune own the Cubs, and possibly the White Sox also? I don't know much about them either, but from what I've heard, WGN broadcasts games for the Cubs, the NBA Bulls, and *possibly* other Chicago teams, such as the NFL Bears and the NHL Blackhawks. How come nobody accuses the Cubs of "hiding" their income paid by WGN?

                                While I can understand your strong dislike of the Yankees because of Baltimore's standings the past 6 seasons against them, I strongly believe that equal standards should be applied to all teams, regardless of how you feel about them.

                                I will strongly agree with you that it's not about who's got the most cash. However, I do believe that teams do need to win the games. Since Peter Angelos is supposedly making efforts to acquired Tejada and Vlad, and rumors have even Mike Piazza going to Baltimore, I think he wants to get into the spending ways also.
                                Last edited by Mattingly; 10-04-2003, 12:23 PM.
                                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X