Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers won today!!! 14-7 vs the Lions!!! We are now 3-10!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by kelo80
      Chargers won today!!! 14-7 vs the Lions!!! We are now 3-10!!!
      Boston Colleges' Doug Flutie did it again today...

D. Flutie - 17/25 - 244 YDS - 2 TD - 1 INT
      Last edited by KenFougere; 12-07-2003, 02:45 PM.
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• As the crow flies

I know where Foxboro is and from the Fleet center or Fenway its closer to R.I. . At that distance KELO would be watching the Tijuana Tigres compared to its locale. Why didn't the Chargers stick with the HADL/ALWORTH colors?
        Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

• A black friday memory

The Phila. Inquirer last Sunday had an article on Flutie's buddy-- Gerard Phelan!
          Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

• Re: A black friday memory

Originally posted by rich
            The Phila. Inquirer last Sunday had an article on Flutie's buddy-- Gerard Phelan!
            Excuse me while I say a "Hail Mary"
            Ken Fougère

Comment

• out of a job

Jimmy Johnson fired the entire defensive coaching staff as they were on the elavator down to the field to celebrate their "Victory"! Phelan played for the Archbishop Carroll Patriots. They are my high schools division

Comment

• Flutie ruled this game, and I was pissed off because Brees didnt start the game

Comment

• Originally posted by NickG
                  I thought I'd bring this one back from the dead, since it seems to be the unofficial smack-talk thread.

So...

BoSox trade for Schilling. Yankees trade for Vasquez.

Yankees sign Sheffield. BoSox trade for A-Rod?

Smack away.
                  After reading this, I have to wonder...
                  Was George an only-child who possibly was often spoiled and put on major 'hissy-fits' when he didn't get his own way????

New York Daily News
                  Boss' worst nightmare

Saturday, December 6th, 2003

Somehow George Steinbrenner's grudge against the people who run the Boston Red Sox gets worse even though his team won the American League Championship Series.

Apparently, in Steinbrenner's increasingly agitated world, only the Yankees are supposed to make big trades and big plays for free agents at this time of year.

Only the Yankees are supposed to do whatever it takes to win.

So when the Red Sox make a trade for Curt Schilling, Steinbrenner of course makes the whole thing insanely personal. With him, it's that old deal where it's not enough that he succeeds, it's that his enemies have to fail, and fail miserably.

It will only get worse if Alex Rodriguez ends up in Boston, which sure might happen.

Larry Lucchino, one of the Red Sox owners, talked about the Yankees being the Evil Empire a year ago, and Steinbrenner has been hysterical about that ever since. He can say whatever he wants about anybody, from his shortstop to his manager to umpires to other teams to other owners. But nobody is ever supposed to insult him.

Or better-deal him.

So as soon as the Red Sox sign Schilling, Steinbrenner goes right out and gets one starting pitcher, two relief pitchers, is all set to sign Gary Sheffield.

Steinbrenner has created a culture with his fans, and with the Yankee media, where turning over a third of his team between one season and the next is part of the natural order of things, instead of him just being piggish. And everybody in town is expected to fall immediately and hopelessly in love with all the new faces on what will eventually be the first $200 million professional sports team in history.

Rotisserie baseball has become the rule with the Yankees instead of the exception, whether the Yankees lose in the first round of the playoffs or make it to the sixth game of the World Series before getting just absolutely hammered by a kid like Josh Beckett.

And when they do get hammered by a Beckett, or upset by the Angels, all that does is make Steinbrenner spend more. While the crowd cheers.

Except that while all this goes on, A-Rod is still on the board for the Red Sox. It is hardly a sure thing that the Red Sox can make the deal that sends Manny Ramirez and some pitching to the Rangers in return for A-Rod. But the Red Sox are working this deal all day, every day, Lucchino from Boston, John Henry from Florida, general manager Theo Epstein on the phone.

This story does not go away. Already the Red Sox are talking about creative ways to move the money around at the back end of Rodriguez's contract. And then make a move with the Angels - involving Nomar Garciaparra - that would be one more thing to knock Steinbrenner back on his heels.

Ramirez is a tremendous run producer, even if he is a knucklehead. Rodriguez is much more: The best all-around player in baseball. Best. Barry Bonds is the best on the Senior Tour. Rodriguez is still just 27 years old. You wonder what how The Madness of George III would continue to play out if the Red Sox add A-Rod on top of Schilling.

You think Steinbrenner won't go after Vladimir Guerrero, too, if A-Rod ends up in Boston? You think he won't add another $18 million in payroll and move Sheffield to left and Hideki Matsui to center and Bernie Williams to DH?

Why, because it would put him slightly over budget?

And while he stews and threatens behind the scenes, the Red Sox get Schilling and believe they have a great shot at Alex Rodriguez.

Always in the past, the Yankees were supposed to put everybody away when they signed two big names like Vazquez, the best pitcher Yankee fans have never seen, and Sheffield. Not anymore.

Not if the Red Sox walk away with A-Rod, too.
                  Attached Files
                  Ken Fougère

Comment

• Just thought I'd mention this . . .

PHP Code:
                    All-Time Winning Percentage (minimum 100 wins)

Player        Years     PCT.  W/L

1. Spud Chandler  1937
                    -47  .717  109-43 

2. Pedro Martinez  1992
                    -?  .712  166-67 

3. Whitey Ford     1950
                    -67  .690  236-106 

4. Dave Fultz      1884
                    -94  .690  149-67 

5. Don Gullett     1970
                    -78  .686  109-50 

Attached Files
                    Last edited by KenFougere; 12-09-2003, 01:36 AM.
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Don't "ERASE" the memory

Originally posted by rich
                      Dennis Johnson, Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster & TFAM would appreciate keeping the Supersonics Championship memories alive.Me too!
                      EXACTLY. Thanks rich.

Now, since we seem to have gotten off the topic of baseball, the Seahawks have officially disappointed their fans, again. It's Holmgren's first two seasons all over again. Great start, horrible finish. Let's hope they can sneak into the playoffs.

Comment

• yo ken give me a break

All-Time Winning Percentage (minimum 100 wins)

Player Years PCT. W/L

1. Spud Chandler 1937-47 .717 109-43

2. Pedro Martinez 1992-? .707 152-63

3. Whitey Ford 1950-67 .690 236-106

4. Dave Fultz 1884-94 .690 149-67

5. Don Gullett 1970-78 .686 109-50

please give me a break with your boy pete. he hasn't won jack! my bad, he did win the smack down event with zim, it almost looked like a chief J strong-bow move. i don't think those other four guys were on a pitch count. last list just shows how far of a reach you have to go to give this guy any credibility.
                        Last edited by 3-Hole Hitter; 12-08-2003, 01:20 AM.
                        Smokey my friend, you mark that frame an 8 you're entering a world of pain. A world of pain.- Walter Sobchak PBA '98 Wichita Open

Comment

• Re: Just thought I'd mention this . . .

Originally posted by KenFougere

PHP Code:
                          All-Time Winning Percentage (minimum 100 wins)

Player        Years     PCT.  W/L

1. Spud Chandler  1937
                          -47  .717  109-43 

2. Pedro Martinez  1992
                          -?  .707  152-63 

3. Whitey Ford     1950
                          -67  .690  236-106 

4. Dave Fultz      1884
                          -94  .690  149-67 

5. Don Gullett     1970
                          -78  .686  109-50 
                          What's the W% of pitchers whose arm isn't about to fall off anytime now? How about minimum 200 wins? Or how about those who've won a few pieces of bling-bling on their finger?
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Re: A black friday memory

Originally posted by KenFougere
                            Excuse me while I say a "Hail Mary"
                            Why? Is Aaron Boone at bat?
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: A black friday memory

Originally posted by Mattingly
                              Why? Is Aaron Boone at bat?
                              You mean Aaron "I don't even compare to my brother Bret" Boone?

Comment

• Ozark & Luzinski

Black Friday was at the Vet in '77!:noidea :noidea

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X