X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It's brainless . . .

Originally posted by KenFougere
    I can't believe Yankees were so careless with Pettitte. How can they just let a 21 game winner slip out of thier hands and land in Houston?
    Same here. This is just plain wrong! :o
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Re: It's brainless . . .

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Ok Matt.,
      Why? What was their reasoning for letting the teams best pitcher just walk away AND get nothing in return? Why not trade him for somebody....ANYBODY! Who's the goat for this blunder??
      h :noidea
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Before BROWN . . .
        Last edited by KenFougere; 06-02-2006, 11:45 PM.
        Ken Fougère

Comment

• From ESPN.com's Page 2. Nothing personal, I just thought it was crazy why people hate on the Yankees.
          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: It's brainless . . .

Ok Matt.,
            Why? What was their reasoning for letting the teams best pitcher just walk away AND get nothing in return? Why not trade him for somebody....ANYBODY! Who's the goat for this blunder??
            The team's best pitcher? I think Mike Mussina (and his agent) might disagree with you on that one.
            I'm NickG, and I approve this message.

Home page

"In God we trust, all else must have data."
            -- Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: It's brainless . . .

Ok Matt.,
              I'm not one to blame anybody before I know the facts. I'd also think that this isn't even fodder for smack talk, but there's another thread under "Current Events" about this, and one in the NYY forum, so please feel free to discuss this.

Right now, it's all about actions, reactions, someone feeling they've been taken for granted, which seems about right (I heard that even Michael Kay (who's been with the Yanks' broadcast team for years), said that's likely.

BTW, you can't trade an FA. Andy's taking less money to play in his home where his family lives seems a big factor. The Yanks can't give him "home", if that's in Deer Park, TX. Long story.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by NickG
                The team's best pitcher? I think Mike Mussina (and his agent) might disagree with you on that one.

Of course they would.
                All you have to do is compare their 2003 post season records.
                Just my opinion . . .
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: It's brainless . . .

Originally posted by NickG
                  Had he re-signed, I think that he, Mussina and Vazquez could've had a chance claiming to be the ace. Even if Andy were a #2, that's still someone who's valuable.

Comment

• Don't get it?

I'm not a Yankee fan. However, Andy there goes your shot at a monument/plaque. How'd Drabek do when he went home. Enjoy those 95 degree-95 % humid days. Maybe he and A-Rod can go golfing in early October next year! And finally, spare me the home with family crap. You got a whole lifetime to hang at home. Lets see---Fenway Park, a loyal legion of fans, historic park,or "The Stadium" 'nuff said or Ken Lay Field. Borrrrrrrinnnnggg! I know "The Boss" screwed up but you Andy not the Hendrick's Bros. gotta play(see A-Rod/Boros).
                    Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

• Th Red Sox to offer Andy everything he could ever ask for. More money, a 4 year contract, and a chance to pitch with Curt and Pedro on a contending team. Andy, you are a strong (if not stupid) man.

Comment

• Originally posted by tearforamariner
                        Th Red Sox to offer Andy everything he could ever ask for. More money, a 4 year contract, and a chance to pitch with Curt and Pedro on a contending team. Andy, you are a strong (if not stupid) man.
                        The Yankees offered the same team. Houston offered a home town. Boston had nothing he wanted. If anything, he'd have almost handed the AL East to Boston, unless Torre finally figures how to manage a rotation instead of leaving pitchers in too long.

Oh well, another season of Soriano leading off, I guess.

Comment

• Boy, did George blow it, or what?

New York Daily News -
                          Yankee Fans very upset at George

Yankee fans are experiencing an unusual set of emotions after Andy Pettitte left the Bombers to go home and pitch for the Houston Astros. They are feeling angry and disappointed, and their ill feelings are directed more toward George Steinbrenner than the lefthander who won 21 games this season.
                          "Andy has given his heart and soul, and George spends time with malcontents," wrote Tim Walter of Manhattan. "A 35% hike (in ticket prices) to watch Gary Sheffield? I don't think so."

In a Daily News online poll, 85% of the 2,013 respondents said that they feel the Yankees will not make it to the World Series in 2004 without Pettitte, who won key games in this year's division series and ALCS to help the Yanks win their 39th American League pennant.

"The Red Sox don't have to worry anymore," wrote Frank Semo of Staten Island. "The Boss has personally lifted the curse by letting Pettitte get away."

For some Yankee fans, letting Pettitte go was the last straw.

"Good luck Andy," wrote Louie Constantine of Nutley, N.J., a self-described Yankee fan since 1949.

"This year it's Maz (Lee Mazzilli) and Baltimore for me."

After being perceived to have turned their backs on Pettitte, the Yanks have a lot of work to do to turn around the feelings of even their most die-hard fans...

A heartfelt "Thank-you!" from Boston!
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: It's brainless . . .

Originally posted by Mattingly
                            The more I read, the more I can't understand it . . .

New York Daily News

George's lack of class, not cash, the key

If Andy Pettitte had been more duplicitous, if he had shared a bowl of rigatoni with Jerry Colangelo or been caught snickering publicly with Larry Lucchino, George Steinbrenner would have tripped over his own bowlegs to break up the romance.
                            Steinbrenner's fascination with cagey characters knows no bounds. Snort some cocaine, pick up hookers, fight with fans and Steinbrenner will be your best buddy. Lately his flirtation with clubhouse malingerers is especially nauseating: Tailors are feverishly working on Kevin Brown's pinstriped inseam, and Gary Sheffield still hasn't moaned himself completely out of the Bronx. Now there's a duo that doesn't receive many holiday cards.

So why is anyone surprised that Steinbrenner could not be bothered with the courtship of Andy Pettitte? The Boss never lifted a finger - not to place a phone call, not to signal for the check at a Tampa burger joint, not even to look for Howie Spira's number in the Rolodex. Perhaps he was too busy figuring additional ways to raise ticket prices.

More than his durable left arm and far beyond his 149 career wins, Pettitte's greatest faults are his abundance of virtue and class. Steinbrenner knows neither trait can be bought. No matter how loudly he screams for his minions to spin it, the truth is Pettitte would have retired a Yankee if only the Boss had shown him some love.

Pettitte turned down more money yesterday - accepting some $7.5 million less than the Yankees were offering - to go to an inferior team, to pitch in a hitter's park, to walk his children to school. The Yankees nearly went hoarse screaming that four-letter word: home. It was the only way they could make Pettitte's signing with Houston slightly palpable.

His Deer Park, Tex., mansion is indeed close to Minute Maid Park. His respectful, gentlemanly manner fits nicely with an ownership that prays to the Lord before the first pitch. His ailing parents wanted him nearby, and his wife, Laura, badly wanted to become a year-round figure on Houston's social and philanthropic circuits. In nine years with the Yankees, the Pettittes never fully embraced New York's many offerings, rarely leaving the sheltered cocoon of their Westchester abode except to drive to 161st in the Bronx.

Despite the powerful draws south, Pettitte wanted to remain with the only organization he had ever known. He was too honest to feign interest in the Red Sox, no matter how hard they whistled. The 14-day window, when the Yankees did nothing with the exclusive rights to his arm, must have felt like a snapshot of his entire career. Hadn't Steinbrenner always verbally slapped Pettitte whenever he hit a rocky patch? Joe Torre was forever stepping in front of Steinbrenner's glove - there is no Yankee whom Torre loves more than Pettitte - but this wasn't 1999, when Steinbrenner could be talked out of trading the lefty to Philadelphia.

"When I walked off the mound at Yankee Stadium at the end of Game 6, I didn't think this would be a reality," Pettitte said at his Houston press conference yesterday. "The longer things went on, my heart started tugging me in this direction. They really wanted me here."

It was about respect, not money. We are conditioned to roll our eyes when athletes mumble such nonsense, but not this time. Pettitte wears his authenticity the way others wear chains of gold. He never winced while pitching through elbow pain, never embarrassed the Yankee uniform by asking out of a game or brawling in a late-night diner. He owns four World Series rings, and would probably sell them all before reneging on a handshake deal.

"It's tough to see him go. He was a priority," said Brian Cashman, a lame-duck general manager sounding desperately beaten.

Torre, the lame-duck manager, is now saddled with one of the least-cheery clubhouses in memory, a giant hole in right field, a bunch of middle relievers who combined make as much as some teams ($35 million) and, probably, some more mercenaries who will tease Steinbrenner's jones for stud Hall of Famers.

Yankee fans know a ruse counter-move when they see it. Cardboard cutout Jeff Weaver to the Dodgers (with minor leaguers and cash) for Kevin Brown does nothing to ease their pain. The hurt is mutual: As yesterday grew long, Pettitte came close to breaking down several times. Those sure weren't fake tears rolling down his cheek.

Over the last few years, as Steinbrenner has grown more desperate to leave his fingerprints, the culture in the Yankee clubhouse has deteriorated remarkably. When was the last time anyone saw a Yankee smile? Through all the nonsense, Andy Pettitte could always be counted on for a gracious nod, at least.

Steinbrenner expects fans to root for the uniform, for the bad seeds who will go into Cooperstown with the NY on their caps. He ignored the classiest player this side of Donnie Baseball. Eventually all that narcissistic mirror-gazing has to catch up.
                            Attached Files
                            Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                              The Yankees offered the same team. Houston offered a home town. Boston had nothing he wanted. If anything, he'd have almost handed the AL East to Boston, unless Torre finally figures how to manage a rotation instead of leaving pitchers in too long.

Oh well, another season of Soriano leading off, I guess.
                              By the way Mattingly, I've been meaning to ask you how the pursuit for Shiggy has been?

Comment

I can't believe Yankees were so careless with Pettitte. How can they just let a 21 game winner slip out of thier hands and land in Houston?
                                Of course they would.
                                All you have to do is compare their 2003 post season records.
                                Just my opinion . . .
                                The more I read, the more I can't understand it . . .
                                I never thought I'd say this but, Ken you are 100% correct. I said the same thing (over and over and over). In the beginning of the year I had some doubts about Pettitte's future with the Yankees, but he showed that he needed to be back in every start this season following the Cubs game in June. Now I'm left wishing that Seinfeld episode had not been so horribly ironic.

George, anytime you want to be suspended from baseball again, it would be great.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X