X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It's brainless . . .

Originally posted by KenFougere
    I can't believe Yankees were so careless with Pettitte. How can they just let a 21 game winner slip out of thier hands and land in Houston?
    Of course they would.
    All you have to do is compare their 2003 post season records.
    Just my opinion . . .
    The more I read, the more I can't understand it . . .
    I never thought I'd say this but, Ken you are 100% correct. I said the same thing (over and over and over). In the beginning of the year I had some doubts about Pettitte's future with the Yankees, but he showed that he needed to be back in every start this season following the Cubs game in June. Now I'm left wishing that Seinfeld episode had not been so horribly ironic.

George, anytime you want to be suspended from baseball again, it would be great.

Comment

• Time out called!

The Red Sox proposed trade for Alex Rodriguez is off ........ At least for now.

Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks confirmed last night that he and Boston counterpart John Henry have decided to shelve talks on a blockbuster deal that would lead to the swap of Manny Ramirez for Rodriguez. The owners agreed to explore other options over the weekend at baseball's annual winter meetings and then speak again early next week if their respective needs aren't filled.

By all indications, the trade has been shelved in order to permit the Sox to make one more stab at signing current shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to a contract extension. Even though Henry and agent Arn Tellem exchanged harsh words during the week, sources said last night the sides had re-opened dialogue and that the Sox had presented or were preparing to make another contract offer that would keep Garciaparra in Boston beyond next year, which is the final year of his current contract.

If the effort fails and the Sox continue to get signals the sides can't reach a middle ground, it appears that Henry and Hicks - who have conducted the trade negotiations themselves - will talk again after the completion of the meetings on Monday. Boston may also attempt to sign free agent shortstop Miguel Tejada.

``We're both going to work on other things right now,'' Hicks told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. ``It's off the front burner. I'll say it again, I think Alex will be our shortstop (in 2004).''

The decision reduces the glare of the spotlight focused on the Sox, who were considering trading their two highest-profile position players, while acquiring the 2003 American League Most Valuable Player and his contract, which is the richest in baseball history.

Henry did not respond to a request for comment on the matter, while general manager Theo Epstein would not discuss any prospective deal out of respect for his current players.

``We're going to meet with a lot of teams,'' Epstein said. ``I think it's not the right thing to get into who we met and when.''

The GM acknowledged, however, that he hadn't spoken with Henry, which may have been an indication that all A-Rod action was dead for now.

``I haven't talked to him, (but) I think we e-mailed once,'' Epstein said.

The holding pattern appears to signal that the Sox realize A-Rod, while being the best all-around player in the league, is not worth the $186 million that he is owed over the final seven years of his 10-year, $252 million contract. With Hicks insisting that Henry kick in an estimated $5 million annually over the next five years to be used toward the remaining $99.5 million owed Ramirez, the Sox may have decided it made little sense to essentially pay an average of $30.5 million annually for their shortstop. That figure is exactly what the Milwaukee Brewers plan to use for their entire payroll in 2004.

Even if the Sox were to restore their spring training offer to Garciaparra, which was believed to be $60 million over four years, the two-time batting champion would be playing for less than half of what it would cost to have A-Rod on an annual basis. Boston is believed to have reduced its offer to Garciaparra in October to $48 million due to the changing economic climate in baseball. The reaction they got from Tellem prompted them to begin searching for alternatives, hence the start of the Rodriguez trade talks.

Boston had hoped to have Rodriguez restructure his contract, either by deferring more money or voiding option year(s), but the odds of him doing so (and the union allowing it) are extremely slim.

Sources in the Texas and Boston organizations adamantly denied there was any substance to a rumored three-team trade involving the Philadelphia Phillies [stats, schedule]. That deal, which apparently originated on a Web site run in Philadelphia, supposedly would have seen Garciaparra and Trot Nixon [stats, news] traded to the Phillies for Bobby Abreu and Jimmy Rollins. The Sox then would have traded Rollins and Ramirez to Texas. Everyone involved said the rumor was rubbish.

If contract talks with Garciaparra fall through this weekend, the Sox may elect to refocus on Oakland shortstop Tejada. The 2002 American League MVP, however, is believed to be the focus of Seattle, Baltimore, Anaheim, Detroit and, possibly, Los Angeles and may make up his mind as early as this weekend. Tejada would come even cheaper than Garciaparra, judging by the three-year, $24 million deal reportedly offered by Seattle.

Boston Hearald
      Attached Files
      Last edited by KenFougere; 12-13-2003, 06:02 AM.
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: It's brainless . . .

Originally posted by BC498
        I never thought I'd say this but, Ken you are 100% correct. I said the same thing (over and over and over). In the beginning of the year I had some doubts about Pettitte's future with the Yankees, but he showed that he needed to be back in every start this season following the Cubs game in June. Now I'm left wishing that Seinfeld episode had not been so horribly ironic.

George, anytime you want to be suspended from baseball again, it would be great.

Baseball; bumpy in the Bronx? Beautiful

Even if the Red Sox don't stop the presses this weekend with the announcement of their boffo Manny Ramirez-for-Alex Rodriguez swap, this much is already certain: The balance of power in the American League East hasn't merely shifted, but shuddered with the force of a rock slide.
        Right now, as these words are being written, the Red Sox are the overwhelming favorites to capture the American League East in 2004.

And right now, as these words are being written, the Yankees bear a slight resemblance to the aging, tired 1965 edition of the Bombers, who, after capturing five straight AL pennants, plummeted to a sixth-place, 77-85 finish.

The Yankees are, frankly, a mess. They have lost veteran starters Andy Pettitte (Astros) and Roger Clemens (retirement, though nobody will be surprised if he resurfaces in some fashion as Pettitte's teammate in Houston), and their farm system lacks a glittering array of can't-miss kids who are just itching to pull on their first big league pinstripes. Nick Johnson, a burgeoning offensive star, was sacrificed to the Montreal Expos for pitcher Javier Vazquez, and Bernie Williams, the Yanks' center fielder throughout this glorious run of theirs, slumped to just .263 after eight straight seasons over .300.

True, the Yankees are still the Yankees. It's possible that George Steinbrenner will swing open the vaults and gobble up enough players to outfit not just the Yankees, but the New York Philharmonic as well.

And as folks down Gotham way like to say, just putting on the uniform makes you a better player. Alas, it's all a lot of rubbish, something that rolls easily off the lips during seasons in which the Yankees are beating people up and running away with another pennant. But the honored pinstripes didn't help the Yankees through the late '60s and early '70s, and they didn't help in the early '90s, when the likes of Mel Hall, Matt Nokes and Steve Sax were stumbling around Yankee Stadium.

You laugh when I say the Yankees could lose 85 games in 2004. To which I say: If Mike Mussina goes down, if Vazquez is blinded by the Manhattan lights, if Williams continues to age, and, say, a Derek Jeter or a Jorge Posada joins him, then, well, it'll be a long, hot summer in the Bronx, with fingers pointed in all directions.

And Red Sox fans will, of course, eat it all up. They'll break out their naughty T-shirts and their rowdy chants, and, sure, the bigger the lead the easier it will be to forget the horrors of Game 7 of this year's American League Championship Series.

But please excuse me, New England, if I hold out for yet another summer of bruised feelings, inside pitches and Games That Really Mean Something each time the Yankees and Red Sox climb into the hardball ring.

Put aside, just for a moment, the manner in which Game 7 of the American League Championship Series fatally unraveled for the Red Sox. Was not that series, from beginning to end, seven games of emotional, high-stakes baseball that, win or lose, kept you up half the night? If you are any kind of fan, you will have memories of that series for the rest of your life. One day, you will look back and say, "Now THAT was a playoff series."

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's Colonel Jessup character in "A Few Good Men," deep down you WANT the Yankees on that wall. You WANT them to be competitive, you WANT them to be battling it out with the Red Sox, thus turning 19 regular-season games into bare-knuckled street fights.

True, you'll get a chuckle when you check out your first Red Sox- Yankees game of 2004 and discover that Curt Schilling is opposing Jon Lieber. And you'll have milk coming out of your nose if you turn on "SportsCenter" one night and see that Brian Cashman and Joe Torre are being led out of Yankee Stadium in handcuffs, Steinbrenner replacing them with a couple of guys from Master Control down in Tampa.

But trust me: It'll be more fun if the first-place Red Sox finish three games ahead of the Yankees than if they finish 11 games ahead of the Blue Jays and 16 games ahead of the Yankees.

Then again, seeing the Yankees finish 32 games out of first might also be fun for the home folks....

Boston Herald
        Attached Files
        Ken Fougère

Comment

• ...I don't visit this thread often, but I just want to congratulate EVERYONE on going well over 100 (!?!) pages on this thing! Un-friggin'-believable. I also noticed, we're approaching 20,000 views.

Maybe we should give the twenty thousandth viewer a grand prize!
          http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• Petitte vs. Brown

Please take a look at Brown's stats since '96. Knowing he was hurt 2 years ago, he's still 109-58 since then. His highest E.R.A. except '02 was 3.00. Last year 32 starts and an E.R.A. of 2.39. Granted he's much older but I get the feeling that people think the Yanks got some washed up bum. Pettite on the other hand has had 2 very good E.R.A.'s but in his 7 other seasons his lowest E.R.A. was 3.87. Five years an E.R.A. of over 4.00. Simply put Andy has gotten a ton of run support from the Yanks. Realizing again Brown's age it says here he will win the same amount of games as Andy. Wait 'til he sees a short flt ball heading towards that choo-choo train at Ken Lay Field!
            Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

• I agree with Ken. The Yankees could be in for a drastic change of fortune in '04.

The best part though......... A Yankee payroll of close to $200 million.

Picture late August, the Red Sox in 1st by 15 games and the Yankees in 4th 3 games UNDER .500. Ol' Georgie will be apoplectic.

Can't wait til '04
              Ken :gt

Comment

• Yanks---15 games out? Don't count your clams before the're "SCHILLED". From 1 Libra to another(oct.11), remember the mantra: Francona! Francona! Francona!
                Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

• Actually they'd be more than 15 out. My scenario had the in 4th, therefore the Blue Jays would be 15 out, Baltimore 17 or 18 out, and Yanks struggling to stay in front of Tampa.

Comment

• another round barkeep!

Was that you drinking with Manny while the Sox were playing? The only way the Jays, O's and D'rays are ahead of the Yanks is alphbetically! Won't mention the Sox also fit this category 'cause the got a shot this year. Is Schill bein' Schill yet(Franconaese).

Comment

• Hey, a little egg nog never hurts. (non-alcoholic of course )

Maybe I should go to the mall and ask Santa if he can bring me a Red Sox world series win AND last place for NY. Is that asking too much????

Comment

• A higher being

Even Santa doesn't have that kinda pull.Maybe God, you're thinking? No, Red Auerbach ! Better pound down a buncha Sam Adam's!

Comment

• Oh Well, It's fun to dream about. (Yanks in last )

Looks like Santa won't need to bring one of the presents though.

I've already got a strong team that could win it all in '04.

Comment

• Closer Keith Foulke is Boston's!

Free agent closer Keith Foulke has signed a three-year deal with the Red Sox that includes a vested option for a fourth year. This, in my opinion, could be the missing piece of the puzzle for a Red Sox championship. Meanwhile, Boston has temporarily put off talks about acquiring Alex Rodriguez. The Sox are hosting Christmas at Fenway this Sunday for their loyal fans....
                            Attached Files
                            Ken Fougère

Comment

• ...now I hear from Beantown buddy Peter Gammons that talks are heating up again...

I'm beginning to think that if the Manny-A Rod deal doesn't go down, there will be too much bad blood in each lockerroom for things to go well for either team. Of course, Manny doesn't care about these things, right? so...
                              http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• Hey, Ken, who wrote those Daily News articles? Red Sox fan Mike Lupica? Would you like me to quote Gammons or Shaughnessy for you? As much as you Boston folks complain about the local media's being harsh, you quote our local scribes? You own papers wanted to run Nomah out of town, and you're talking about the NY media?

You think things will turn around? Wake me in October when this happens. "B" may stand for Boston, but here are a few Killer B's that you guys could never handle:

Bronx
                                Babe
                                Buckey
                                Boone

Oh yeah, weren't you suppoed to post back to me all of my smack talk? Well, what happened? While you're at it, please enjoy Kevin Brown, who's gonna beat ya. What Theo doeth, Francona undoeth. That losing record won't get much done, and 2004 won't be your year!

Foulke may be good, but unlike Mariano, he wasn't very much responsible for beating you guys. We already know who's the real star closer in the AL East.
                                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X