This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johncap
    I despise the Yankes, although far less with Torre at the helm, because they just think baseball exists for their folly. God the arrogance spewed on their talk radio.
    Actually, you're confusing baseball with BoSox. They're the ones here for our amusement.

Which talk radio? WFAN plays on YES, but they only have Mets' play-by-play (among other local sports), as that's actually a "Mets" sports station. Our p-b-p guys are WCBS-880AM, which is a newsradio.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Don't really have a bitter enemy. Although I have a favorite I like several teams in baseball and don't tend to bother with making one team an enemy in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
        Actually, you're confusing baseball with BoSox. They're the ones here for our amusement.

Which talk radio? WFAN plays on YES, but they only have Mets' play-by-play (among other local sports), as that's actually a "Mets" sports station. Our p-b-p guys are WCBS-880AM, which is a newsradio.
        No arrognce is in your bemusement with the Bosox' pain... The only solace will be the total lack of chemistry in this year's Spankee team when it once again doesn't win with a $200M+ payroll. Undortunately, the Bosox are worse off sadlled with Mulligan Francona who will surely offset any gains that roster has made in talent.

The FAN does as much jibber jabber about the Spankees as the 'Ets. Sweeney Murdy is the Spankees guy who covers them for the station. Aside from Chris they're all either 'Ets or Spankees fans on the air. I listen because no one down here talks baseball unless it's July and we're in first place. Do the math...

Comment

• John, maybe I'm tired, but I'll try responding when I can figure out what you're referring to. I makes some sense, but I can't figure it out completely.

Still, I'm wondering where Ken is. Yeah, I'll be immodest just this once:

Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS ONE, KEN! DESPITE WHAT THEY SAY,
            THERE IS A LONG TIME BETWEEN NOW AND OPENING DAY.....AND
            ANYTHING, I MEAN, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!
            This is what we call dramatic irony.

Now this....

...this is just plain funny.

Comment

• Fresh new crop just harvested . . .
              from the Yankee $tadium Outfield! -

This is what happens when you have an endless supply of . . .
              Last edited by KenFougere; 06-02-2006, 11:49 PM.
              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Ken, ours doesn't grow on trees. Unfortunately, George doesn't like keeping all of it.

Oh well, it's nice being rewarded, but this was a bit much.

Comment

• Can anyone spell S*A*L*A*R*Y C*A*P ?
                  Last edited by johncap; 02-16-2004, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Espn & I agree . . .

A-Rod is, no doubt, an upgrade over just about anybody in any team's lineup. But he's not a massive offensive upgrade over the guy he's replacing in the Yankees' lineup -- Alfonso Soriano.
                    Only six players in the whole sport have outhomered Soriano over the last two years. Only two have scored more runs. No one has spewed more extra-base hits.
                    Even more fascinating, if you factor out A-Rod's Texas stats by comparing the numbers of these two guys just on the road, you discover something shocking:
                    Soriano has more road homers (45 to 44), many more runs scored (133 to 108) and a much higher batting average (.311 to .279) than A-Rod over the last two seasons. Hmmmm.
                    OK, so A-Rod is a much tougher out against certain pitchers in certain situations. And he's undoubtedly a better defensive player than Soriano, even at a new position.
                    But does he make the Yankees a vastly better offensive team?

Their pitching is still the BIG question mark . . .
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Yankees will flunk chemistry 101 . . .
                      • I, I, I . . . .

A-ROD WILL PUSH FOR JETER TO STEP ASIDE -
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Well, the News Conference introducing A-Rod to the world as a NY Yankee will take place at 12 Noon today. It is being carried on all local TV stations, as well as on cable.

It is being reported that Derek Jeter will be standing next to A-Rod (telling the world "I'm OK with moving to 3rd"), and that A-Rod will be wearing #13. Perhaps NOT such a good choice.....remember Ralph Branca in 1951? The only single digit numbers the NYY haven't retired are #1 and #6, and I am not positive about #1, Billy Martin's #.

All this should make for a very interesting News Conference. Watch for the BODY LANGUAGE......it will be VERY telling!!

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

Comment

• Deb, #1 was retired for Billy Martin. I'm unsure of the year, but that was his number as a manager. When he'd played in the 1950s, I don't know if that was his number or not.

Torre currently wears #6, but many have stated that Tony "Poosh 'Em Up" Lazzeri, the 2B from the 1927 game should have his #6 retired, since he'd kept the line of baserunners advancing.

Personally, I think we've got too many retired numbers, and one guy I know, who's totally into Yankee History, says that the only numbers that should've been retired are #3 (Babe), #4 (Gehrig), #5 (Joe D) and #7 (Mick).

Comment

• Re: Espn & I agree . . .

Originally posted by KenFougere

But does he make the Yankees a vastly better offensive team?

Their pitching is still the BIG question mark . . .

You're absolutely right Ken. Then again age was the question mark for our pitching staff last season. We'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. The Yankees improved themselves with this trade, how much is yet to be seen.

Johncap, the only way there will ever be a salary cap is if there is true revenue sharing. Besides a hard cap will just lead to league sponsored mediocrity. It may be a better system than the one we have now, but it is far from perfect. Don't blame the Yankees, blame the system.

Comment

• Re: Re: Espn & I agree . . .

Originally posted by BC498
                              You're absolutely right Ken. Then again age was the question mark for our pitching staff last season. We'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. The Yankees improved themselves with this trade, how much is yet to be seen.
                              I just find it most interesting that when the Yankee pitching staff's age is heavily criticized, we also get criticized a year later when the two oldest pitchers sign elsewhere.

I hear people are also getting on Kevin Brown's age. He's younger than Clemens and Boomer were last season, isn't he?

Comment

• The Yankees used to claim that they never had the highest-paid player in the game. Are they still going to try to claim this (with the rebate from Texas)?
                                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X