Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Yankees used to claim that they never had the highest-paid player in the game. Are they still going to try to claim this (with the rebate from Texas)?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      The Yankees used to claim that they never had the highest-paid player in the game. Are they still going to try to claim this (with the rebate from Texas)?
      I actually think that George's thing was that they'd never *SIGNED* the highest-paid player in baseball. Hence, when Jeter could've been had for $17m/yr, they'd waited a few months until Manny and A-Rod were signed. The contract ballooned in only a few months to $18.9m/yr.

As to the Yanks *HAVING* the highest-paid player available, all depends. They're paying more to Jeter and Giambi, respectively, so when Hicks rolled over the caravan of Brinks trucks, I'd be inclined to say that we're not hiring the highest-paid player in baseball, per what we're actually paying.

Currently, I'd say that Boston is paying the most for Manny ($20m/yr) than any other team's paying for a single player.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• The key to the AL East, as it is in all corners of baseball, will be pitching.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, and Blue Jays all have offenses (on-paper) that are capable of putting 10 runs on the board at any given time. Each of the four have legimate pitching questions. Whoever has the best pitching at the end of the year will win the division.

The Devils Rays still need at least two more hitters and pitchers to compete for the division. A core of Crawford, Baldelli, and Huff (with Upton and Young on the way) looks good and they need to build on that.

Arod cannot pitch, thus he cannot wear #3.

Comment

• The latest on the John Henry/George Steinbrenner WAR, from the NY Daily News this AM, which also includes Boss Geroge on David Letterman last night and his "Ten Reasons Why it is Good to be a NY Yankee"......

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-145202c.html

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

Comment

• "1. You think this A-Rod deal is good, huh - we're about to sign Ty Cobb."

Is this before or after the Boss clones Babe Ruth?

Comment

• Top offensive team ?

Prediction time for the "Rivals" 2004 season....

Ok, predict & compare the Red Sox and Yankees final statistics for the major team batting and pitching categories . . .

Will the offensive records that the Red Sox set in 2003 fall? -
              Last edited by KenFougere; 06-03-2006, 12:48 AM.
              Ken Fougère

Comment

• It's right field's turn this year . . .

F Y I . . .

The latest 2004 addition to the oldest park in the Major's . . .
                Last edited by KenFougere; 06-03-2006, 12:48 AM.
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• Cubs vs Cards, pretty heated.

Comment

• Re: Top offensive team ?

Originally posted by KenFougere

Prediction time for the "Rivals" 2004 season....

Ok, predict & compare the Red Sox and Yankees final statistics for the major team batting and pitching categories . . .

Will the offensive records that the Red Sox set in 2003 fall? -
                    Yanks, 110-52. Boston, 99-63 (just like 1978).

If Boston makes the WC, either Oakland or Anaheim will take them out.

I'll have to see how those road numbers look re the offense.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

Originally posted by Mattingly

Alas, 110 wins in the regular season and another playoff disappointment won't keep the Yankee faithful, and Yankee bandwagoners, from jumping off bridges. Whilst the rest of the sporting world awaits George's implosion! God, I love baseball!

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

Originally posted by johncap
                        Alas, 110 wins in the regular season and another playoff disappointment won't keep the Yankee faithful, and Yankee bandwagoners, from jumping off bridges. Whilst the rest of the sporting world awaits George's implosion! God, I love baseball!
                        Where were you in 2001 when George didn't implode, as the entire media had expected him to do? or 2002, or 2003? But miraculously, if by chance the Yanks don't win the big prize, he'll explode on cue, unlike before? That's interesting.

If so many of us are bandwagoners, then why are we still here? I hadn't even realized that the Yanks were the only team which had nouveau fans. I guess that other contending teams don't? I have several Yankee fan friends in California, many of whom called Anaheim's Edison Field "Yankee Stadium West", due to the amount of Yankee fans there. Which team do you think many locals suddenly became "diehard lifelong fans" of in 2002?

So the entire world of all sports wants the Yanks to lose? Interesting you speak for so many people and so many sports.
                        Last edited by Mattingly; 02-23-2004, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

Where were you in 2001 when George didn't implode, as the entire media had expected him to do? or 2002, or 2003? But miraculously, if by chance the Yanks don't win the big prize, he'll explode on cue, unlike before?
                          Three words:
                          Employee dental plan
                          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            Three words:
                            Employee dental plan
                            Yeah, I remember that one. I guess George couldn't stiff Bernie and Giambi, so he did this to his regular workers' pearly whites.

Man, even I rolled my eyes at this one, hoping it wouldn't become a new Seinfeld joke or something. I'm sure that Dave & Jay never let those slip unnoticed in their monologues.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

If so many of us are bandwagoners, then why are we still here? I hadn't even realized that the Yanks were the only team which had nouveau fans. I guess that other contending teams don't? I have several Yankee fan friends in California, many of whom called Anaheim's Edison Field "Yankee Stadium West", due to the amount of Yankee fans there. Which team do you think many locals suddenly became "diehard lifelong fans" of in 2002?(
                              Revisionist history, Yankee style. Go back and look at Yankee Stadium attendance figures during the Roy White years, during years before George learned a little bit to letting the manager manage and spend more time in Tampa. If the Yankees had a 65 win season anythime soon, the rats, both internal and on the worldwide bandwagon would disappear faster than the so-called "lifelong" Cowboys fans from Passaic. Let's face it, 30 games on cable every week, wit hthe xposure the Yankees get and their success, and overbearance on the baseball world creates "fans" out of young, naive sports fans who have no understanding of what the word "fan" means. Clearly, a "Yankee fan" in Anaheim, unless a NY area transplant, is a fair weather fan. We're very pleased in Philly that the Eagles are one of the top three draws and clothing sale teams in the NFL throught the US, but it's a lot of fair weather fans drawn to a very successful high profile team getting a lot of exposure. We lose next year like the last three years, or go 7-9 and it'll all go away.

Comment

• Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

Seeing as how there is only one WC Mattingly, neither Oakland or Anaheim will be in the playoffs. Or are you forgetting about a little thing called SODO MOJO?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X