Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

    Originally posted by johncap

    Of course every team's attendance goes up and down with the success of the team. But to listent to Yankee fans they are there come hell or high water. It's simply not true. The fact is that it's been a long time since they had a bad team.
    This is such garbage. I'm betraying my youth here (I'm 24), but when I was a kid, just beginning to form my team alliances, the Yankees were mediocre at best. And the Mets were on top of the world. ALL of my school friends were Mets fans, because the Mets were the best team in baseball. I became a Yankee fan to be a contrarian, because I didn't want to be a bandwagon jumper. My family was all old Brooklyn Dodger fans who had turned their back on their team in 1957, but not on the game... they figured I'd find my own team if I loved the game enough. I was a huge Mattingly fan. But when I was first falling in love with baseball... there were no playoffs for my team. There were no championships. There was a string of middle of the pack finishes, injury problems for my favorite player, a last place debacle in 1990. There was Steve Sax and Steve Howe. There was a pitching rotation of Tim Leary, Chuck Cary, Dave LaPoint, and Andy Hawkins. This was what Yankee baseball was to me when I was growing up. It hasn't been that long since we had a bad team.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

    Comment


    • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

      Originally posted by ElHalo
      My family was all old Brooklyn Dodger fans who had turned their back on their team in 1957, but not on the game.
      It was the other way around.

      Comment


      • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

        Originally posted by ElHalo
        This is such garbage. I'm betraying my youth here (I'm 24), but when I was a kid, just beginning to form my team alliances, the Yankees were mediocre at best. And the Mets were on top of the world. ALL of my school friends were Mets fans, because the Mets were the best team in baseball. I became a Yankee fan to be a contrarian, because I didn't want to be a bandwagon jumper. My family was all old Brooklyn Dodger fans who had turned their back on their team in 1957, but not on the game... they figured I'd find my own team if I loved the game enough. I was a huge Mattingly fan. But when I was first falling in love with baseball... there were no playoffs for my team. There were no championships. There was a string of middle of the pack finishes, injury problems for my favorite player, a last place debacle in 1990. There was Steve Sax and Steve Howe. There was a pitching rotation of Tim Leary, Chuck Cary, Dave LaPoint, and Andy Hawkins. This was what Yankee baseball was to me when I was growing up. It hasn't been that long since we had a bad team.
        I think you're mixing up two discussions... One about attendance and the other about bandwagons.

        Comment


        • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

          Originally posted by johncap
          I think you're mixing up two discussions... One about attendance and the other about bandwagons.
          I'm just saying, yeah, I'm sure there's a lot of bandwagon Yankee fans in, say, Kansas. But I've been there for the Yankees through hell and highwater. And I didn't even have fond memories of Yankee championships from my childhood to hold me through it.
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

          Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

          Comment


          • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

            Originally posted by BC498
            It was the other way around.
            True true. But I do know that my grandmother cried the day they announced the Dodgers were moving, and she never watched another Dodger game again. To this day, she'll watch Yankee games with me, but she refuses to even acknowledge that the Dodgers still exist.
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

            Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

            Comment


            • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

              Originally posted by ElHalo
              I'm just saying, yeah, I'm sure there's a lot of bandwagon Yankee fans in, say, Kansas. But I've been there for the Yankees through hell and highwater. And I didn't even have fond memories of Yankee championships from my childhood to hold me through it.
              I'm assuming, from your family tree, that you live in the vicinity of NY. That's how it's SUPPOSED to be: Yankees, Mets, Bkl Dodgers, NY Giants, etc.. If you were a Milwaukee Braves fan, then that'd be a tad unatural, don't you think? That's the point, UNLESS, you're referring to the attendance/Yankees support thread...

              Comment


              • Keeping in my the original question posed in this thread...I hate the Cardinals and White Sox.
                "The last time the Cubs won a World Series was in 1908. The last time they were in one was 1945. Hey, any team can have a bad century."

                -Tom Trebelhorn, former Cubs manager

                Comment


                • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

                  Originally posted by johncap
                  I see you're a huge fan of Webster. Were you a fan of his dictionaries BEFORE he won the pulitzer prize for literature or only after? Have you since switched to loving Steven King?

                  Of course every team's attendance goes up and down with the success of the team. But to listent to Yankee fans they are there come hell or high water. It's simply not true. The fact is that it's been a long time since they had a bad team.
                  Which Webster are you referring to? Noah Webster was born in 1758, which was 18 years before the USA was even born.

                  http://www.ctstateu.edu/noahweb/biography.html

                  I have no idea which Pulitzer Prize for Literature and year you're referring to. I have no interest in Steven King, a devout Red Sox fan. I'd rather take Billy Crystal or Rudy Giuliani.

                  If you'd also like to switch to become a Yankee fan, I won't stop you. I have no interest in becoming a Phillies fan. I have no idea what your obsession is with Yankee fans, but you'll never decide who roots for which team, and for which reason. Just my little word of friendly advice, as people will continue rooting for their choice of teams, whether it seems "natural" to you for them to do so or not.

                  I hadn't even realized that the Yankees were the only team which had fans outside of the adjacent 3 states. They seem to be the only team's fans getting faulted for this.
                  Last edited by Mattingly; 02-25-2004, 06:40 PM.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

                    Originally posted by johncap
                    I'm assuming, from your family tree, that you live in the vicinity of NY. That's how it's SUPPOSED to be: Yankees, Mets, Bkl Dodgers, NY Giants, etc.. If you were a Milwaukee Braves fan, then that'd be a tad unatural, don't you think? That's the point, UNLESS, you're referring to the attendance/Yankees support thread...
                    Funny thing is, the Yankees are the only New York team I'm a fan of... I'm a huge NBA fan, but my team is the Detroit Pistons. I lived in Detroit for a couple years when I was growing up, and that's when I formed my other alliegances, because before that, baseball was the only sport I'd ever paid any attention to.
                    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

                    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

                    Comment


                    • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

                      Originally posted by Mattingly
                      Which Webster are you referring to? Noah Webster was born in 1758, which was 18 years before the USA was even born.

                      http://www.ctstateu.edu/noahweb/biography.html

                      I have no idea which Pulitzer Prize for Literature and year you're referring to. I have no interest in Steven King, a devout Red Sox fan. I'd rather take Billy Crystal or Rudy Giuliani.

                      If you'd also like to switch to become a Yankee fan, I won't stop you. I have no interest in becoming a Phillies fan. I have no idea what your obsession is with Yankee fans, but you'll never decide who roots for which team, and for which reason. Just my little word of friendly advice, as people will continue rooting for their choice of teams, whether it seems "natural" to you for them to do so or not.

                      I hadn't even realized that the Yankees were the only team which had fans outside of the adjacent 3 states. They seem to be the only team's fans getting faulted for this.
                      You take all this so seriously, so literally. Ooops, did I do bad? Chill. Baseball and all this stuff is supposed to be fun. I have no ill will towards, about or around your team. My distaste has wained with Torre at the helm. It's just so easy to attack a Yankee fan when you (rhetorical you) try and play innocent about the arrogance exuded by Yankee fans (the stereotypical one), or a BoSox fan when he (rhetorical he) feigns mock surprise that John Henry made a dope (the REAL one) of himself the other day, no matter how right what he said was; how incredible virtually every Mets fan on here (yup, the real ones) is about that team's prospects this year. This is an open forum. You kept responding to me and I to you. I'm not stalking you!

                      Comment


                      • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

                        Originally posted by johncap
                        You take all this so seriously, so literally. Ooops, did I do bad? Chill. Baseball and all this stuff is supposed to be fun. I have no ill will towards, about or around your team. My distaste has wained with Torre at the helm. It's just so easy to attack a Yankee fan when you (rhetorical you) try and play innocent about the arrogance exuded by Yankee fans (the stereotypical one), or a BoSox fan when he (rhetorical he) feigns mock surprise that John Henry made a dope (the REAL one) of himself the other day, no matter how right what he said was; how incredible virtually every Mets fan on here (yup, the real ones) is about that team's prospects this year. This is an open forum. You kept responding to me and I to you. I'm not stalking you!
                        What was one supposed to think when replying to a post about Noah Webster having received a Pulitzer Prize for Literature, then ditching him in favor of a book writer, Steven King? What does one have to do with the other?

                        I've never feigned ignorance of the NY Yankees having bandwagon fans. I believe that my Yankee compatriots, BC498 and El Halo have also mentioned this. There are people who have this set on their schedule of "must do today" list, yet don't even know much about the game itself, nor the history of the team. I have no problem accepting that. However, I'd never lump the two together, since there are many Yankee fans all over the USA (and a few abroad) who are highly knowledgeable, didn't start rooting only in 1996 or later, have eaten Reggie bars, do remember August 2nd, 1979 as a very horrible day, do consider Columbia University's Iron Horse to be the greatest Yankee from the farm, have at least read about the 1949-53 WS run, know that #22 isn't just Roger Clemens, but also Allie Reynolds (from that WS run), and that #6 isn't just Joe Torre, but 1927's 2B, Tony "Poosh Em Up" Lazzerri.

                        Please try understanding this, and not act like we're all one and the same. If someone at least shows themself to be a good fan, I don't think that the team they root for should be a major issue. I've exchanged many pleasantries with Red Sox and Mets fans, and fans of other teams before, so I'm familiar with lots of things, including the "Bitter Rivals" that this thread is dedicated to.

                        Thanks!

                        As to the "stalking" issue, I've posted moreso to the person who'd started this thread than to yourself, and I'd never accuse him of stalking. It's just a baseball forum, and many people here like talking pure baseball, not caught up in tons of "other unrelated junk", if you catch my drift.
                        Last edited by Mattingly; 02-26-2004, 11:35 AM.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

                          Originally posted by Mattingly
                          ...have eaten Reggie bars...
                          Are Reggie Bars relevant to all this?

                          Comment


                          • Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top offensive team ?

                            Originally posted by johncap
                            Are Reggie Bars relevant to all this?
                            Did you bother to read the rest of the post? Please do so.

                            Thanks.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • A - h e m . . .

                              *Health of Yankees Pitchers Is Already an Issue
                              Last edited by KenFougere; 06-02-2006, 11:48 PM.
                              Ken Fougère

                              Comment


                              • Being a Red Sox fan myself, I'm going to say the $kankees. Then again, I dislike all teams from the NYC/NY state area (excluding the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers, simply because they were lovable losers and I have a very close female friend from Brooklyn), but the $kanks have a special place near my left butt cheek. Down w/ the Evil Empire!
                                "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice" -Rush "Freewill"

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X