X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: You're doomed . . .

Originally posted by KenFougere
    All I can say is that your days are S O numbered . . .
    Next October's number: 86 ... and counting!

Next October's other number: 27 ... and counting!
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Deserting a sinking ship?

But now with Tony Clark's bat in the line up, you'll hardly notice those 60 wins lost from your starting rotation . . .

If he helps you like he did us, we're in BIG trouble!!!!
      You notice how your words always seem to come back and bite you. Yeah, i didn't mean anything but it was the first baseball i'd seen since Game 6 , and its always good to hear the crack of the bat.

And once we trade him for Bret Boone, I'll really be able to chirp .

Comment

• "LET THE JEERING BEGIN.........." or so says Tyler Kepner of the NY Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/08/sp...08YANK.html?th

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

Comment

• Originally posted by DODGER DEB
          "LET THE JEERING BEGIN.........." or so says Tyler Kepner of the NY Times today:c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM
          Hey, Deb, from that article, you suppose that a certain someone was conducting the pre-interview process?

Hiya, Ken!

Red Sox shortstop Nomar
          Garciaparra greeted the man
          who almost took his job this
          winter, Alex Rodriguez, who
          is now playing third for the
          Yankees.

Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, whose job Rodriguez sought before the players union vetoed his trade to Boston, hugged Rodriguez before the game. Garciaparra also hugged the Yankees' manager, Joe Torre, as well as Jeter, who has joked that the Yankees should sign Garciaparra next season and move him to second base. Garciaparra left the scene after that, missing the game with a bruised right heel.

The Yankees did not bring Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield or Hideki Matsui, but they televised the game on the YES Network, and Lucchino noted that they used Rivera and other prominent players. "So it seems like they came to win, even though it's March 7," he said.
          Last edited by Mattingly; 03-08-2004, 08:08 AM.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Remember . . .

I've got a feeling Sheffield is going to regret waiting on the surgery much like Nomar did a few spring trainings ago . . .
            Last edited by KenFougere; 06-02-2006, 11:47 PM.
            Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Remember . . .

I've got a feeling Sheffield is going to regret waiting on the surgery much like Nomar did a few spring trainings ago . . .
              You meant to say, you HOPE Sheffield regrets not getting the surgery....

Comment

• Rob Neyer today had a little article that talked about the Red Sox, talking about how 7 of their 9 offensive slots can expect significantly lower offense this year than last year (Everybody except Kevin Millar and Johnny Damon), but the interesting point came at the end:

among the 10 pitchers who are supposed to fill the two teams' rotations, only two of them -- Mike Mussina and Javier Vazquez -- might be considered something close to sure things.
                Hm. I've been saying all along that as much of an injury risk as Kevin Brown is, Pedro and Schilling are no more certain to be healthy. I guess somebody agrees with me.
                "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo
                  Rob Neyer today had a little article that talked about the Red Sox, talking about how 7 of their 9 offensive slots can expect significantly lower offense this year than last year (Everybody except Kevin Millar and Johnny Damon), but the interesting point came at the end:

"among the 10 pitchers who are supposed to fill the two teams' rotations, only two of them -- Mike Mussina and Javier Vazquez -- might be considered something close to sure things."
                  To tell you the truth, you could go up to the players, their managers, team owners, hit coach, clergymen, or even their schoolteacher. Who's to say what they will or won't do? While I'd expect a team to not repeat such offensive performance, and their road games may be telling, who really knows? I'd prefer to just cross my fingers and hope that they don't repeat this. They'd have to do this several years in a row before I just say that a .300 BA, .900 OPS is a "given", even from their #8 hitter.

Hm. I've been saying all along that as much of an injury risk as Kevin Brown is, Pedro and Schilling are no more certain to be healthy. I guess somebody agrees with me.
                  Pedro, I'm somewhat surprised did 200 innings last season. In 2002, it looked like his arm was about to fall off. He'd supposedly put on 15 lbs on his upper body, but we'll see. If healthy, he'd be very dangerous once again.

For Schilling, he's been pretty durable and other than some freak accident, like Clemens and Unit, his performance could belie his age. If, like Pedro, he gets adjusted to the non-DH league, but gives his usual strong performance, he could end up being trouble.

I'll respect Neyer, but I'm not taking any reporter's word for it until I see the evidence before me.

Comment

• Re: Re: Remember . . .

Originally posted by johncap
                    You meant to say, you HOPE Sheffield regrets not getting the surgery....
                    - Now that wouldn't be nice, and besides, does that sound like something that I would say?
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Career year in '03...not by a long shot!

Ortiz Takes Resemblance To The Next Level

For those of you who thought David Ortiz in '03 had a career year, you ain't seen nothin' yet . . .
                      Now he's an every day player from the 'get-go' whereas last year he started playing regularly in June. He's crushing the ball to all fields. He really could have an MVP year much like Mo Vaughn had in the late '90's for the Sox. -
                      Last edited by KenFougere; 06-02-2006, 11:47 PM.
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• I agree he's off to a good start this Spring, and if he continues to mash when it counts, he may well end up with the M.V.P. which he made a run at last year with only 448 AB's.

Keep in mind he had only 4 HR and 30 RBI in April, May and June.
                        He didn't become a regular in the line-up until after the Hillenbrand trade.

If he can somehow manage to hit lefties a little better, Look Out.

Last year in 116 AB's vs lefties he hit only .216 with 4 HR and 22 RBI.

By contrast in 332 AB's vs righties he hit .313 with 27 HR and 79 RBI.

But what really jumps out, are his slugging and OPS numbers.

Against lefties he slugged .414 with OPS of .674

Against righties it was SLG .654 and OPS 1.058 !

Playing full time it will be interesting, (and hopefully scary to A.L. pitchers), to see the kind of numbers he will put up.

His numbers for 2003 were good, but I don't think it's really fair to say he had a "career" year , as he was a part-timer for the first 3 months.

Being in the line-up from Day 1, I think he's poised to have an actual "career" year. Something like say, .315 42 128

It's gonna be a great year for Sox fans. I can't wait.
                        Ken :gt

Comment

• This is the only thread I could get away with this.

I'm with the puppy.
                          http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• JW, who's the puppy?

Comment

• Huh?

Originally posted by J W

This is the only thread I could get away with this.

I'm with the puppy.
                              . . . get away with what? -
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Hey, Ken, just got in from that great winter you guys had. How's Pedro, Timlin and Foulke? The AL Central isn't too tough, now is it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scores/20040325/minbos.html

Oh well, it's nice to know that one team scored more runs than you guys, but allowed far less, and still won (after beating those pipsqueaks yesterday).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scores/20040325/nyyphi.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X