X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Boston . . .

Originally posted by KenFougere
    Two points:
    [list=1][*] There is no "deep left" in Fenway . . .

{Just ask Bucky Dent . . .}

[*] Patience?
    I'm a Red Sox fan, what do you think? -
    [/list=1]
    Per Soriano last season, who'd hit it either across the street or into Rhode Island somewhere (either that or New Hampshah), it's gotta land somewhere. If not deep left, then in medium left, but the deepest part of this. OK? (sheesh!)

Bucky = Fenway; Boone = YS; Bush = Fenway.

You heard it first here, folks!

Don't worry, your patience could be well rewarded ... in 2018. Of course, if someone wearing a Beantown jersey stands up and disses the Babe in Game 7, you'll know to head for the exits very quickly.

You do know it'll go to 7 games, now don't you? Just wanted to make sure.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 04-01-2004, 04:15 PM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Peashooters?

Add me in, & we don't need no stinkin peashooters. Pedro, Curt, Lowe, Wakefield, & the rest, that's all we need, with Mirabelli & Varitek.

I do have my slingshot somewhere, & I was so enamored of a bow and arrow at a costume party they took it away from me. Peashooters...

You can come to the party. In BOSTON, not Beantown. You can pak your cah in the habah.

....No, you don't need to come to Boston, Red Sox nation is EVERYWHERE. (The Boston Globe magazine section gave away a few names of bars in the Apple City. (It's Apple City because Steinbrenner is a species of worm.) {I may never eat an apple again.}

Boston, not Chowdaville; & chowda with red stuff is not chowda, but since you will be crying in your beer and that "red soup" in October

:gt
      Last edited by CuriousBoston; 04-01-2004, 07:29 PM.
      Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
      Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
        Yes, I realize this is the Bitter Rivalry thread. Ken has been very involved, as have just about every fan of every team if you read the last few dozen pages. However, we prefer to use witty replies, rather than smack. I'm not saying you do, but since you're new here, I had no choice but to be cautious.

Still, if you'd like to introduce yourself here, letting people know about you and your baseball viewpoints, please feel free to do so. I actively encourage people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the game to do so. That way, the more good people around, the better, and people can use that thread as a reference point as to what your overall style of posting will likely be. Please see the following example:

Introductions

As to Yankee fans, yes, we'll get a big share of criticism, moreso than most, but regardless of the team, I think it helps to remain positive towards all, even if you're not crazy about George.

There are many forums here, including a Boston forum under "American League", and Brooklyn, under "Teams of Yesteryear". Both are excellent places to post, so please enjoy your stay.

Thanks.
        First, I'm a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers as you already know, and I'm also a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I don't hate the Yankee fans but I do hate the team (mainly because of the 1920 fiasco). I'll try to ignore the temptation to talk smack, but when the Yankees are mentioned, my blood starts to boil and I can get out of control and say things I don't neccessarily mean to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by tdk1984
          First, I'm a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers as you already know, and I'm also a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I don't hate the Yankee fans but I do hate the team (mainly because of the 1920 fiasco). I'll try to ignore the temptation to talk smack, but when the Yankees are mentioned, my blood starts to boil and I can get out of control and say things I don't neccessarily mean to say.
          Basically, as long as you're a good baseball fan, lover of the game itself, I don't really mind. I could name you quite a few people who couldn't care less for the Yankees, rooting for both their team and "whoever plays the Yankees". In fact, our newest Pirates Mod, Zeth (whom I'm *VERY* supportive of), recently changed his av to the DRays, since that's who we're playing against.

As to the whole Ruth scenario, I'd say that the Yanks took very big advantage of a once in a lifetime situation. Still, Boston has had its share of very notable players, such as Teddy, Yaz, Doerr, Fisk, Dom DiMaggio and others. If that whole thing bothers you, I'd say to let it out. Feel free to discuss this in the Yankees forum and whatever questions I can't answer, I'll be sure to ask around, since I'm an active participant in another board's "History" forum.

As to saying things you didn't mean to, heck, I'm as guilty as sin of that. As a Mod, all I ask of people here is that they think carefully about what they write, consider how they'd feel if they were on the opposite side of that reply, and if they'd appreciate those very same comments, and post if they'd felt comfortable with what was written. Intelligence, articulation, a wee bit of research and editing for grammar and logic are also big pluses.

If someone's got something to say, and they truly enjoy the game, are willing to share those feelings with others, so as to bring other fans of various teams in, I say we're all here for you. Just think about what you say and we should be great friends!

As to this thread, this is the specific place we love, since we can all make cheesy zingers at each other, but all in jest. Please see comments above from your compatriot, CuriousBoston. Please step up into the box and hit a few of your own, as you're on deck, buddy! Or you could toss a few from the hill, as you could be the reliever (El Guapo from the good years?).

I hope you've also visited the Boston forum, and let either Biggerin or VTSoxFan welcome you aboard! You take care, be good, enjoy your lengthy stay here at baseball-fever.com!

-- Matt
          Last edited by Mattingly; 04-02-2004, 01:55 PM.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Re: Peashooters?

Originally posted by CuriousBoston
            Add me in, & we don't need no stinkin peashooters. Pedro, Curt, Lowe, Wakefield, & the rest, that's all we need, with Mirabelli & Varitek.

I do have my slingshot somewhere, & I was so enamored of a bow and arrow at a costume party they took it away from me. Peashooters...
            I'll get back to you later on, but I'll only come here with my fave "Waskaly Wabbit" comment:

You do of course know, this means war!

Dive into your foxhole, but you'll never be safe.

Comment

• Foxhole? What foxhole?

You'll get back to me? I'm so afraid.

As a good man has said: BRING IT ON !

Information you might need: I was thrown out of a bar in Southie because I objected to having a pitcher of beer poured over my head. It took two SOUTHIE bouncers to remove all five feet, 100 pounds of me. (I might be a tad taller, & a tad heavier now.)

Most fans of most teams are good people, those that love baseball I have no problem with. Those that cannot distinguish their own accomplishments from those of their chosen team, I have a problem with.

It is my belief that Selig & Steinbrenner are the two "beings" on the planet most responsible for the decline of baseball.

Foxhole, no foxhole for me.
              Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
              Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

• Re: Fenway's short left

Two points:
                [list=1][*] There is no "deep left" in Fenway . . .

{Just ask Bucky Dent . . .}

[*] Patience?
                I'm a Red Sox fan, what do you think? -
                [/list=1]
                I meant that
                Fenway measures only 302' down the left-field line . . .
                {It's really deep short-stop} -
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• From this week's Sports Illustrated...

SI: Has the steroids scandal tarnished your love of baseball?

Buck O'Neil: Not at all. I think a lot of the guys are not using the steroids. But if they are, they should do something about it. Not only for baseball but also for the guys' health, because its going to kill them off very young....

SI: Is George Steinbrenner good for baseball?
                  O'Neil: He's done some wonderful things he doesn't want anybody to know about. Mr. Steinbrenner puts up the lights at the Grambling State ballpark. [B]

Comment

• From this week's Sports Illustrated...

SI: Has the steroids scandal tarnished your love of baseball?

Buck O'Neil: Not at all. I think a lot of the guys are not using the steroids. But if they are, they should do something about it. Not only for baseball but also for the guys' health, because its going to kill them off very young....

SI: Is George Steinbrenner good for baseball?
                    O'Neil: He's done some wonderful things he doesn't want anybody to know about. Mr. Steinbrenner puts up the lights at the Grambling State ballpark. So I tell folks Mr. Steinbrenner can't have but 40 ballplayers on that roster. And there's more than 40 ballplayers in the world. So get off your rump and work with what you got!
                    Last edited by BC498; 04-02-2004, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Going to a new level
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        It's us against the world, and I think I see Zeth, Dodger Deb, Zito75 and Ken in those peashooter airplanes! Curse you, Red Baron!

BUT.........one never knows when a SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE will "come out of nowhere", wearing Red/Blue or Green/Gold, and STRIKE!

Boss George needs eyes all around his head this year!

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

Comment

• W e l l . . .

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                          BUT.........one never knows when a SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE will "come out of nowhere", wearing Red/Blue or Green/Gold, and STRIKE!

Boss George needs eyes all around his head this year!

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

* Another option seldom used:
                          • I.C.B.M.
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: W e l l . . .

* Another option seldom used:
                            • I.C.B.M.
                            Wouldn't an unexpected dinger to Left Field accomplish the same purpose?

Hiya, Ken!

Comment

• Re: Re: W e l l . . .

Originally posted by Mattingly
                              Wouldn't an unexpected dinger to Left Field accomplish the same purpose?
                              Hiya, Ken!

Sure, as long as it's a Walk-off home run . . .
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: W e l l . . .

Sure, as long as it's a Walk-off home run . . .
                                Knowing your luck, the HR will be waved fair ... in Game 6! Note to the wise (this of course, excludes Beantowners):

Beware of Game 7. It's gonna be a killa of a chilla and a thrilla ... when Godzilla takes ya down! (couldn't fit "Manila" in there anywhere)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X