• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken, take your pick: http://www.baberuth.com/flash/about/photos.html

Thx.

... and it's a slow grounder to 1B ...
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Where's Ken? :gt
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• That catch by Jeter was spectacular . . .
        Ken Fougère

Comment

• What about the hit by Flaherty?

Wow, being a Red Sox fan must feel like just getting perpetually mugged in the streets, over and over again, mustn't it?
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Thaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees Win!!

I just tuned in on gameday. I wish I could have watched it, but I'm at work.

I'm not really religious, but if there is a God, I think it's pretty clear which team he's partial to.
            Last edited by Gaijin; 07-01-2004, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Wow...

WHAT A GAME!!

Hat's off to both clubs tonight. I'm drained... there may be some chirping tomorrow.

Comment

• Ouch. My condolences to the Red Sox nation. You'll get them next time...at FENWAY. What a finish. Same with the Dodgers/Giants game out West. We were down 4-2 against Jason Schmidt of all pitchers, and we come back to win by one. Two classic rivalries going down to the wire. What a great day for baseball.

This IS the Bitter Rivals Thread, isn't it? I thought it was the official Yankees/Red Sox thread
                SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• You know, they showed the pictures of Jeter walking off the field bleeding after diving into the stands to end the top of the twelfth, and then they showed Nomar sitting in the dugout...

And it occurred to me that there's no longer any argument about who the best SS in baseball is. It's Jeter, and that's just that.

Oh, and after this game, it's official: the Red Sox HAVE TO trade Nomar this month. He's certainly not signing with them this offseason, and all I can see him doing is sabotaging them the rest of the year. Let the Sox get a nice package of major leaguers and prospects from the Cubs or the Dodgers... just get him away from Boston, because he's killing that team like a cancer.
                  Last edited by ElHalo; 07-01-2004, 10:43 PM.
                  "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• i concur, tonight showed how great Jeter is. Sometimes you gotta look past all those stats and see 1 clear thing, HEART. Nomar decided at the last minute he was 'hurt' and sat. Pedro not showing up to team meeting called by a player, but being how good Varitek is. HE said he knew where he was, which we all know is BS.

I hope tonight all these RedSox fans come to a reality, Jeter is a world better SS then Nomar could ever be. He wouldnt let his team down, like Nomar has done and tonight they could of needed him the most.

Hats off to Sox tonight, they played a great game and I take nothing away from them. But it's clear, Nomar has to be traded and sent away.. Maybe the Diamondbacks will give you johnson for him, who knows. But he will destory the chemistry, quicker then Manny having supposedly throat problems, but drinking and partying with Enrique last year.
                    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - Satchel Paige

Cashman and Steingrabber, WE NEED A LEFTY STARTER !!

Comment

• This is the second time I've seen Jeter really put his body at risk for a game. I think it was the '02 ALDS vs Oakland and he'd done the same thing, falling onto concrete.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's the "best" SS, but he certainly showed us how important he thought a single game was, and how far he was going to sacrifice to insure that our guys won.

Now we'll have to see A-Rod return to his old position f/awhile I guess.
                      Last edited by Mattingly; 07-02-2004, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        This is the second time I've seen Jeter really put his body at risk for a game. I think it was the '02 ALDS vs Oakland and he'd done the same thing, falling onto concrete.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's the "best" SS, but he certainly showed us how important he thought a single game was, and how far he was going to sacrifice to insure that our guys won.
                        That play was in the 2001 ALDS... couple games after the infamous Shovel Pass play.

And you wouldn't say he's the best SS? You could honestly tell me that, age and salary notwithstanding, you'd realistically want to trade Jeter straight up for any of these guys?

Nomar Garciaparra
                        Miguel Tejada
                        Mike Young
                        Carlos Guillen
                        Edgar Renteria
                        Jack Wilson

I can't see it as even being a question. Jeter's better than all of them, and there is nobody else. He's the best SS in the game right now (if only because the real best SS in the game is now the best 3B in the game...).

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Jeter means more to his team than any SS in the league period, that is even A-Rod. He is going to go down as the best post season hitter of all time, going to go down as one of the best captains of all time in the yankees, and he makes the big plays when needed the most.

There is not 1 SS in the past 10 years that has not come thru for his team time and time again, weather it be a Defensive play or hitting play, then Jeter has.

PS. I'm not a jeter fan, but i respect his talent and leadership.. And he is the best SS in the game period.
                          "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - Satchel Paige

Cashman and Steingrabber, WE NEED A LEFTY STARTER !!

Comment

• < - - - - - - >

Ken Fougère

Comment

• I'll give you Yankee fans one thing, I would NOT trade Jeter for Garciaparra at any point, anymore. Jeter will in all likelihood leave Nomar in his dust by the time the two's careers are over.

On a related topic, Nomar needs a new position badly.
                              http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo
                                That play was in the 2001 ALDS... couple games after the infamous Shovel Pass play.

And you wouldn't say he's the best SS? You could honestly tell me that, age and salary notwithstanding, you'd realistically want to trade Jeter straight up for any of these guys?

Nomar Garciaparra
                                Miguel Tejada
                                Mike Young
                                Carlos Guillen
                                Edgar Renteria
                                Jack Wilson

I can't see it as even being a question. Jeter's better than all of them, and there is nobody else. He's the best SS in the game right now (if only because the real best SS in the game is now the best 3B in the game...).
                                I think that this type of play represents what can be considered the most "ballsy" types of plays I've ever seen, actually reaching deep into like the 4th row or so just to get a ball. That it ended the 12th w/Damon on 2B (fielder's indifference) made it even more important, especially w/Manny on deck.

I'm wondering what the repercussions will be, since in the '01 WS, he didn't hit a lick after hitting that concrete, so we'll have to see what his stats are the next few days and weeks. The fact that even played hurt showed his grit & determination, but since I consider him the team's offensive sparkplug, it's debatable if he should've sat in one game in the '01 ALCS or WS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLo...fresh=0&full=0
                                BOSTON 12TH
                                -T Sturtze relieved M Rivera.
                                -Top of the 12th inning
                                -T Sturtze relieved M Rivera.
                                -K Youkilis walked.
                                -C Crespo ran for K Youkilis.
                                -P Reese sacrificed to first, C Crespo to second.
                                -J Damon singled to left, C Crespo to third.
                                -M Bellhorn popped out to second.
                                -T Nixon hit for G Kapler.
                                -J Damon to second on fielder's indifference.
                                -T Nixon popped out to shallow left.

0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors
                                Boston 3, NY Yankees 3
                                However, those routine plays have to be made day-to-day, not just the highlight reel ones. Be it to his left, right, the one where he's running f/the fly blooper w/his back turned or whatever, it's the everyday thing which makes him valuable.

I'd say that someone like Pokey Reese is more athletic, Nomah seems to have a stronger arm, but overall, I'd put Derek way up there w/o having seen all the others play over an extended period.

As to a straight-up trade, I wouldn't trade Jeter f/anyone, since he's IMO, the very heart & soul of the team, much like Tek is w/Boston. He pretty much embodies the Yankee tradition, busting it out of the box, making himself available, acting like a gentleman, giving time & $ to charity, acting like a good citizen overall. That he's dramatically improved his "D" *AND* his bat makes him much more valuable as a player, IMO.

As to the best 3B, it's likely between himself and Rolen, whose games I haven't seen much of, but merely going by his rep f/good glove plus all his ribeyes!
                                Last edited by Mattingly; 07-03-2004, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X