X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's no crying in baseball!

--Tom Hanks

Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Attention all Yankee fans: let's not make too much of this game, and let's be humble, as there are two more games to go. In the meanwhile, please enjoy these (from someone else on a Yankee board):

This is one of those nights when I can't name just a few names, or divide them into Hero and Honorable Mention. I award the palm to everyone who contributed tonight, and that is (almost) everyone who played. As someone pointed out, even Jeter contributed by just the fact that he forced his way into the lineup.

Here are the highlights ...

Lieber ... four runs in five IP isn't a gem ... but as it turned out ... it kept us in the game! Except for Millar's freak night, he'd have picked up the W.

Sheffield ... what can you say? He homered off Schilling in the first inning for the first Yankee run ...

... ... and he doubled off Foulke in the ninth and scored the last Yankee run!

Posada ... three for five ... he scored the second run on a single by Lofton and a dubious call by the umpire ... ... and drove in the third with this single ...

Sierra ... pinch hitting again and again he comes through with a big hit ... tying the score at four ...

... well, maybe this one wasn't so big ...

Lofton ... an RBI single and this RBI double that put the Yankees ahead 5-4!

Bernie ... two doubles, including this one off Timlin for the sixth and seventh runs!

The other guys who built the five-run sixth inning rally ... Alex, who beat out an infield single to start it ...

... and Jason, who worked through a tremendous ten pitch at bat against a visibly tiring Schilling ... climaxed with a walk!

OK, so we have a 7-4 lead after five and a half! Twelve outs to go ... This time, the bullpen struggled, but they never gave up the lead. Quantrill let in two, but Gordon worked out of two tough jams ... coming in in the seventh with a run in, two on, no outs, and Manny at bat, he got a double play ... and a nice catch from Matsui for the third out with the one run lead intact!

Gordon gave up the tying run in the eighth on Millar's freakish third homer of the night .. then suffered through a rare error by Clark ... and a double by Damon ... and still got out without further damage as he Kd Varitek and Oritz, swinging!

With Sheffield's help (see above) it was Alex ... finally Alex ... who broke the tie in the ninth with this clutch single ...

... leaving it to Mo to send Manny, Nomar and Trot down one two three in the ninth (first time the Red Sox went down 1-2-3 all night) ... for his 35th save ... and by the way, it brought his ERA down to 0.89 ...
      Last edited by Mattingly; 07-24-2004, 06:32 AM.
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• So this Leskanic kid... does he actually know that he's supposed to throw strikes? Or does he think that that's just a rumor? You know things are bad when RedSoxNation is pining for the days of Calvin Schiraldi...
        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Awaiting a PM from Ken.

Comment

• Not perfect, but since I haven't heard from Ken so far, that's my av & sig. :o

The stuff at the top of my sig is the usual, which I've kept since I became a mod.
            Last edited by Mattingly; 07-26-2004, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• I hope this is the kick in the ass that we needed to get on track . . .

Let us not forget to thank the Yankees, everyone! -
              Attached Files
              Last edited by KenFougere; 10-22-2004, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Ken:

Let's go, Baltimore!

BTW, Lee Maz is still on George's payroll.

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere

I hope this is the kick in the ass that we needed to get on track . . .

Let us not forget to thank the Yankees, everyone! -
                  Looks like it may worked for now Ken. We got Sunday night's game on ESPN and I enjoyed it immensely - it was one of the best games I have seen all season. It had a bit of everything, HR's, errors, mistakes, a touch of controversy, A-Rod giving Ben Affleck a bit of cheek, Senator (maybe soon to be President) Kerry, and generally a good game of baseball.
                  "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
                    Looks like it may worked for now Ken. We got Sunday night's game on ESPN and I enjoyed it immensely - it was one of the best games I have seen all season. It had a bit of everything, HR's, errors, mistakes, a touch of controversy, A-Rod giving Ben Affleck a bit of cheek, Senator (maybe soon to be President) Kerry, and generally a good game of baseball.
                    No fair, the good guys lost. :o

Comment

• You must have been watching a different game Mattingly - the one I watched the good guys won 9-6

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• DownUnder, you're further in left field than Matsui. In fact, you may even be out where Manny hangs out. Trust me, that one's *REALLY* out in the boonies by LF!

To think that Sturtze was cruisin' along on Saturday, too. :o

it's all downunderdodger's fault, too!

Comment

• it's all downunderdodger's fault, too!
                          Hey I don't mind

I forgot to mention how much I like your avatar matt Wear it with pride
                          Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 07-26-2004, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Hey I don't mind

I forgot to mention how much I like your avatar matt Wear it with pride
                            *BOINK!*

*Prepares my haymaker while you're not lookin'*

Comment

Including tonights game & the Yankee series, this is the most focused I've seen this team all season long.
                              I really like what I'm seeing . . . a lot!!

Comment

• Now it seems that Remy's hawking "Spankees Yuck" tees. Hey, Ken, you gonna wear one? How about the rest of the Bahstunned fans here? I'll bet that TFAM wears one also.
                                :gt

Here's a pic of Col. Ken:

Last edited by Mattingly; 08-12-2004, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X