This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yankees rule
    The Red Sox - Yankees rivalry is the most bitter rivalry by far.

(Actually I don't know why this rivalry started, because it was already there before Babe Ruth moved to the Yankees.)

But the Brooklyn Dodgers - Yankees rivalry is close behind.

Actually, yankees rule, the BROOKLYN DODGERS/NY GIANTS rivalry tops even the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, as the #1 rivalry ever in Baseball.

WE lived through it, so I know of what I speak!

c.

Comment

• Originally posted by DODGER DEB
      Actually, yankees rule, the BROOKLYN DODGERS/NY GIANTS rivalry tops even the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, as the #1 rivalry ever in Baseball.

WE lived through it, so I know of what I speak!

c.
      So you really did see the Dodgers win the 1955 World Series? All I know about the Brooklyn Dodgers is from a history book about MLB. You have been there. Wow.

I can't imagine how it feels to see your favorite team move away. It must have been the most disappointing experience in your life!

Comment

So you really did see the Dodgers win the 1955 World Series? All I know about the Brooklyn Dodgers is from a history book about MLB. You have been there. Wow.

I can't imagine how it feels to see your favorite team move away. It must have been the most disappointing experience in your life!

YES, yankees rule, I was at Game 7 to see OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS WIN OUR 1955 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, against one of OUR bitter rivals, the Yankees! It was Tuesday, October 4, 1955 at 3:43PM at Yankee Stadium. It was the most incredible day I ever lived through!

WE will be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of OUR 1955 World Championship next year on the weekend of October 4, 2005, with a HUGE EVENT. WE will be bringing OUR Players and familes back to BROOKLYN. WE will be holding a PRESS CONFERENCE this Thursday, September 9th, with the official announcement. Look for it in the Press/Media following the Press Conference. You can also learn more details on OUR FORUM, under the thread "HOW SHOULD WE CELEBRATE OUR 1955 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP".

As for OUR DODGERS being taken away from US for pure greed .....disappointing is NOT the word I would use.......try DEVASTATING! WE still feel that PAIN to this day...and probably always will!

c.
        Last edited by DODGER DEB; 09-05-2004, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• theres only one rivalry, and thats the yankees and the red sox. THE only rivalry in baseball, all other confrontations are rendered meaningless by this RIVALRY.
          "Quitters never win, and winners never quit."-George Steinbrenner

Comment

• Originally posted by bleachercreature11
            theres only one rivalry, and thats the yankees and the red sox. THE only rivalry in baseball, all other confrontations are rendered meaningless by this RIVALRY.
            You may wish to respect Dodger Deb's a bit more. If you'd read that she's been at a 1955 game, when added to her wealth of information and honesty, I would think she'd know of what she speaks.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by bleachercreature11
              theres only one rivalry, and thats the yankees and the red sox. THE only rivalry in baseball, all other confrontations are rendered meaningless by this RIVALRY.
              It amazes me how someone who has probably just purchased his first pack of razor blades can speak with such authority and certainty, and with either total ignorance of, or disregard for what is generally acknowledged to be THE MOST INTENSE RIVALRY IN ALL OF SPORTS.

I realize the Dodgers-Giants rivalry began before you were born, bleachercreature11, but if you've come to this Board to learn a bit about the game, then you would do well to show some respect for history. And for your elders.

DodgerDeb is but one of many fans who lived through the Dodgers-Giants wars (yes, that's what they were). Check out the relevant threads on the Brooklyn Dodgers Forum to learn what a real rivalry was like...from the fans who witnessed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shlevine42
                It amazes me how someone who has probably just purchased his first pack of razor blades can speak with such authority and certainty, and with either total ignorance of, or disregard for what is generally acknowledged to be THE MOST INTENSE RIVALRY IN ALL OF SPORTS.

I realize the Dodgers-Giants rivalry began before you were born, bleachercreature11, but if you've come to this Board to learn a bit about the game, then you would do well to show some respect for history. And for your elders.

DodgerDeb is but one of many fans who lived through the Dodgers-Giants wars (yes, that's what they were). Check out the relevant threads on the Brooklyn Dodgers Forum to learn what a real rivalry was like...from the fans who witnessed it.
                From what I read on this site (the ONLY reliable Brooklyn Dodgers site online), the Dodgers and Giants hated each other to the death. The West Coast version of the rivalry (sorry if it offends the Brooklynites) is not as intense, but go to Dodger Stadium and ask the average pseudo-fan about who they hate the most and they are automatically programmed to say "the San Francisco Giants." On the West Coast, it is mostly NorCal versus SoCal, but nowhere is it on the same level (or depth) as the Brooklyn Dodgers vs. New York Giants rivalry.

This is the reason why I love this site. We have eyewitnesses to history here. Beat that, MLB.com.
                Last edited by mojorisin71; 09-05-2004, 06:49 PM. Reason: Made a fatal mistake analyzing Dodgers/Giants
                SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Welcome to BBF, yankees rule, the only site on the Internet that unites Brooklyn Dodger fans and they talk about the good old days at Ebbets Field. This is the only site where Red Sox fans and Yankees fans are at peace with each other (except when Boston wins and New York loses). AND this is the only site where we have MATURE baseball fans instead of trash-talking 12-year-olds who find ways to go around the profanity censor.

As for the Brooklyn Dodgers moving away, I can't say I feel their pain, but I go to Dodgers games regularly, and I have been trying to find more about their history before O'Malley moved them to LA. And that I may not offend them, I simply refer to them as "the LA team" in their presence.
                  SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                  "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• yankeesrule11, since per your profile, you're 20 years old, I would suggest understanding that there were several other baseball teams in the past. If you click on the home page for baseball-fever.com, you'll see near the bottom the "Teams of Yesteryear" forums, of which the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers are subforums, amongst other teams.

Dodger Deb is the Moderator of the Brooklyn forum, and shlevine42 is a very quality, knowledgeable and well-learned student of the game, also a long-time Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Please feel free to visit those and other forums for existing threads, and ask questions about the teams as they were back then.

As per BBF protocol, we're all neighbors around here, and this thread specifically is where the folks discuss *PEACEFULLY* the various rivalries around baseball. For the elder citizens here, learning from them is quite acceptable for the younger members, and even highly recommended by this Mod.

Ken and myself are the usual suspects in slinging the zingers (and some "chin music" mud) , but we're always respectful to one another. Please feel free to join into this discussion with that in mind. There's lots to learn and plenty to enjoy!

Thanks.
                    Last edited by Mattingly; 09-05-2004, 10:39 PM.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Hey, Ken! I'll be seeing you from the beginning of next season to the end. Yup, it'll start in the Bronx and end in Little Fenway!

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ankees_for_05/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        yankeesrule11, since per your profile, you're 20 years old, I would suggest understanding that there were several other baseball teams in the past. If you click on the home page for baseball-fever.com, you'll see near the bottom the "Teams of Yesteryear" forums, of which the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers are subforums, amongst other teams.

Dodger Deb is the Moderator of the Brooklyn forum, and shlevine42 is a very quality, knowledgeable and well-learned student of the game, also a long-time Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Please feel free to visit those and other forums for existing threads, and ask questions about the teams as they were back then.

As per BBF protocol, we're all neighbors around here, and this thread specifically is where the folks discuss *PEACEFULLY* the various rivalries around baseball. For the elder citizens here, learning from them is quite acceptable for the younger members, and even highly recommended by this Mod.

Ken and myself are the usual suspects in slinging the zingers (and some "chin music" mud) , but we're always respectful to one another. Please feel free to join into this discussion with that in mind. There's lots to learn and plenty to enjoy!

Thanks.

Bleachercreature11, YOU would do well to heed the good advice from Mattingly, shlevine, and the others who are attempting to steer YOU in the "knowledgeable" direction. YOU could learn much about the game of Baseball on BBF, and its long and wonderful history, by listening to what is being said, or has been discussed, and then joining in by adding your voice in an opinion or a question.

I agree that the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry is presently at the top of the "hit parade", but it doesn't hold a candle to the #1 rivalry in Baseball, or perhaps more correctly described as "WAR" by shlevine, the rivalry between the BROOKLYN DODGERS/NEW YORK GIANTS. NOTHING has come close to touching it....and I am not sure anything ever will. Those of US who were there, either at OUR EBBETS FIELD or at the Polo Grounds, can attest to how UGLY it really got. Being in the same city WE lived with it every day!

BTW, thanks, guys, for all your kind words.

c.

Comment

• Dodger Deb, the words are always well-deserved, especially due to the amount of knowledge you Brooklyn fans have imparted upon me of a game I love so much, and in a city and borough I consider so dear!

The good thing about baseball is that it's very similar to life: you can learn more by listening than by talking, and getting schooled by your elders who've been there before and know what to look for ain't such a bad thing!

Now then, Dodger Deb, since we can always tell a Brooklyn girl, can we ever tell her much?
                          Last edited by Mattingly; 09-06-2004, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                            Dodger Deb, the words are always well-deserved, especially due to the amount of knowledge you Brooklyn fans have imparted upon me of a game I love so much, and in a city and borough I consider so dear!

The good thing about baseball is that it's very similar to life: you can learn more by listening than by talking, and getting schooled by your elders who've been there before and know what to look for ain't such a bad thing!

Now then, Dodger Deb, since we can always tell a Brooklyn girl, can we tell her much?

Well, Matt, there is a very famous Shortstop that would tell you......"NO"!

c.

Comment

• That was my play on words for your "You can always tell a Brooklyn girl, but you can't tell her much", to those not familiar.

Oh well, there's a parade going on in *BROOKLYN* today by Eastern Parkway. I'll bring my camera, but gotta get 1 hour of sleep first.

Seeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

BTW, Pee Wee said "No" to what? I'm missing something here (which wouldn't be unusual in my case).

Comment

• I would like to elaborate on the growing Orioles-Devil Rays rivalry, in which the O's have proudly taken a one game lead in the all-time series!

First, um...

. . .

oh, never mind.
                                http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X