Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hopeful for the Vazquez/Wakefield matchup tonight, but that Schilling/Loiaza matchup tomorrow is BRUTAL. Why is Loiaza starting? Can't Sturtze or Halsey start? Doesn't Torre realize that the Staten Island Yankees have starters that are better than Loiaza?

The Yankees magic number is 4. Meaning that if they sweep these next two games, they clinch the division. And...

If the playoffs started today, the Yanks would host the A's, who would be throwing an ineffective Barry Zito and a fading Mark Mulder at us to go along with their no offense... and the BoSox would be facing the Twinkies, at the Metrodome, who could throw Johan Santana out for 2 games in a 5 game series.

I'm fairly happy right now. If we win today, I'll be ecstatic.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Hey, Ken, I may have to learn to sire better children, but ...
      :gt
      Attached Files
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• EH: Brown may start on Sunday, rather than Loaiza. If Loaiza, I say bring Moose back. (j/k (just kidding))
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
          EH: Brown may start on Sunday, rather than Loaiza. If Loaiza, I say bring Moose back. (j/k (just kidding))
          Honestly, I'd rather see Jim Kaat come down out of the announcer's booth and start than Esteban Loiaza. I can't remember a Yankee pitcher I had as little faith in as Loiaza. And that's hard to do, because we've had Gabe White and Felix Heredia just THIS year.
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo
            Honestly, I'd rather see Jim Kaat come down out of the announcer's booth and start than Esteban Loiaza. I can't remember a Yankee pitcher I had as little faith in as Loiaza. And that's hard to do, because we've had Gabe White and Felix Heredia just THIS year.
            I was about to say, "If it were against Bronson Arroyo, I wouldn't mind", but then again, Arroyo did outpitch Lowe and Pedro last weekend.

Loaiza's finally turned in a decent performance in his last outing (see that thread in the NYY forum), but it cries for "*ENCORE*", but this obviously isn't the time or the place to see if that was a fluke or not. I'll take Brown, knowing that Sturtze can go 3+ good innings, even if Brown can only work 3 or 4 innings.

As to Sunday's game, "In Joe I Trust".

Comment

• Meanwhile in San Francisco, the Giants and Dodgers are engaged in a 5-5 dogfight. The crowd at SBC is disgusted at the fact that Barry walked 4 times in the game, but the Dodgers, whom many had given up for dead after losing 2 out of 3 to San Diego, aren't going quietly. No fights or any incidents outside SBC Park have been reported...yet.
              SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
              "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

• Kevin Brown and Curt Schilling go for all the marbles tomorrow.

Comment

• Mattingly--
                  Where do you see Brown for Sunday? I'm still getting info that Loaiza's on the mound. Oh, and by the way, I guess I'm your Daddy for Saturday night, huh?

P.S. Have you noticed that I never responded to your bet? I figured that if I just stayed real quiet like, and didn't even respond...oh, shoot!
                  "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by SoxSon
                    Mattingly--
                    Where do you see Brown for Sunday? I'm still getting info that Loaiza's on the mound. Oh, and by the way, I guess I'm your Daddy for Saturday night, huh?

P.S. Have you noticed that I never responded to your bet? I figured that if I just stayed real quiet like, and didn't even respond...oh, shoot!
                    It was said on the YES network. They'd said that he'd passed w/flying colors some test in which he had to do fielding. It wasn't just, "Well, can he at least catch the ball", but he did great fielding.

I don't know about how well he'll pitch after some time off, but I've heard about some special glove being made for him.

It must be some MLB requirement that a pitcher must wear a glove, since even one-handed pitcher Jim Abbott (southpaw) threw a no-hitter and placed the lefty mitt on the stubb of his right arm, which was severed/amputated or whatever above the elbow. He then caught the ball w/his left pitching hand.

I'll fill everyone in on details as they come in. In the meanwhile, if you're up late, check yankees.com, nydailynews.com, nypost.com or other Yankees sites. If not, I'll do the shlepwork.

As to being my Daddy, nope. I don't know if Pedro was joking or not, but he seemed frustrated about his inability to get the win. I don't know why he tries doing it all by himself, since 7 IP is plenty. Who knows?

As to the bet, it's a rubber match, so it's still open. Please reply before 7pm ET and you're in. Just don't edit that post.
                    Mattingly
                    Yankee fan & proud of it!
                    Last edited by Mattingly; 09-25-2004, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• SoxSon, here's your link to Brown pitching on Sunday: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1888702
                      BOSTON -- Kevin Brown will return to the New York Yankees' rotation Sunday to start the series finale against the Boston Red Sox.

Comment

• Well, I'm just not a betting man...my grandmother would roll over in her grave if I bet with a Yankee fan.
                        I actually was making fun of Pedro for that comment about "Daddy," though it's safe to say we did serve you guys with a good old-fashioned whoopin' on Saturday. Not that I'm bragging, given the run differential last weekend.
                        I actually found the info on Brown immediately after posting...Loaiza was still scheduled on several sites, but it was just starting to change.
                        As far as today (Sunday) goes, I'm not sure it's for "all the marbles." While I'd love to win, I believe the division is lost to us anyway. Also, does New York realize that with our win last night, we've beat you in the season series? In that respect, we got the marbles already! And because of that, I'm willing to let you guys have the division this year, how's that sound?
                        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• I'll take your bet Mattingly. Brown will pitch 4 innings max, and we all know how many Schilling is going to pitch.

Guys, we all know Pedro Martinez is not dumb. He is getting in each and every New York Yankees' head.

EDIT- I know you said 7PM last night, but the game hasn't started yet. If you don't reply by the first pitch in like 5 minutes ( only 5 minutes) the bets off I guess.
                          BoSox Rule
                          Last edited by BoSox Rule; 09-26-2004, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Sorry, BoSox Rule, you posted after the scheduled 1st pitch, which was 2:05pm ET. I'll just have to wear Ken's choice of av and regular sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                              Sorry, BoSox Rule, you posted after the scheduled 1st pitch, which was 2:05pm ET. I'll just have to wear Ken's choice of av and regular sig.
                              - Hi ya Matt! -

Well history tells us that Y O U certainly know the routine . . .

Please use my {and your} favorite 'Red Sox' avatar . . .
                              and my Yastrzemski & Williams sig.

We enjoyed having you up here this weekend and hope you had a nice time!
                              See you again in October . . . -
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• PM me, Ken.

I'll dig up the thing about the bet where you and TFAM said the Yanks would never win the division.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X