This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mattingly
    You should try the PM feature. I generally reply the same day. Tends to work wonders, last I heard.

Yes, it does.

Well, how about throwing some Cardinals' stuff my way? I'm game.

Look, it's as simple as this - WS, Astros vs. BoSox. Astros in 6.
    What makes it wonderful is that we are two teams out to get revenge (albeit for much different reasons), as well as defy the odds of Father Time.

Watch out for the PISSED OFF ASTROS!!!
    -David
    Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and FAQ Section before posting.
    "Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for." -Roy Hobbs, The Natural

Ever wonder about the fastest pitch ever thrown? Click this link.

Comment

• Whoever wins the ALCS is winning the World Series.

The Cards aren't exactly as hot as they've been all year and nobody knows Roger Clemens more than the Red Sox or the Yankees.

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
        You don't remember YankeeMan, do you? -
        In his honor I feel I should remind you that Tom Brady did fumble in that playoff game. As a result the winning mentality and momentum that helped the Patriots get their 19 wins in a row is a little tainted.

Ken, do me a favor, have a great birthday but don't dig up John Burkett on three days rest and have him shut the Yanks down this year. Please

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox Rule
          The Cards aren't exactly as hot as they've been all year and nobody knows Roger Clemens more than the Red Sox or the Yankees.
          2 things to note:

1. Clemens isn't the only pitcher that we have. We have Roy O, and despite what some small-minded people think here, we have Brandon Backe. He's a gamer, and he's VERY hot.

2. Clemens knows those teams as well. As for that comment, I'd simply reply with one word - "likewise."

(Oh yeah, we've got 4 big killer B's on a rampage. I'd watch out for that!)
          -David

Comment

• Originally posted by nolanryan5714
            2 things to note:

1. Clemens isn't the only pitcher that we have. We have Roy O, and despite what some small-minded people think here, we have Brandon Backe. He's a gamer, and he's VERY hot.

2. Clemens knows those teams as well. As for that comment, I'd simply reply with one word - "likewise."

(Oh yeah, we've got 4 big killer B's on a rampage. I'd watch out for that!)

Other than the Tigers, Roger Clemens is least successfull against the Red Sox. (vs. teams he has at least 100 IP againts.)

Ortiz, Manny, Damon, Millar, Varitek> Killer B's

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox Rule
              Other than the Tigers, Roger Clemens is least successfull against the Red Sox. (vs. teams he has at least 100 IP againts.)
              I'm not trying to jinx my team here, but this entire season has been about defying the odds...and I wouldn't bet against them individually nor collectively now!

Ortiz, Manny, Damon, Millar, Varitek> Killer B's
              Bring it, I say...we'll only know once we get there.

As I said above, what a series it will be. The two hottest teams in baseball after August 15 in the WS.

It'll be incredible.
              -David

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                By the way. What does this whole "I would call them daddy" thing mean?

My English is not good enough to understand that kind of "slang".
                Pedro had said after he'd lost to the Yanks that he can't beat them, so he might as well call them daddy.

I don't have a link.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Pedro had said after he'd lost to the Yanks that he can't beat them, so he might as well call them daddy.

I don't have a link.
                  I know that he said it after he lost to the Yankees.

But what is the meaning of this sentence: I call them daddy?

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                    But what is the meaning of this sentence: I call them daddy?
                    The question "Who's your daddy?", when used in sports, means that someone pretty much "owns you", so to speak. Just like Nixon and Piazza had Clemens' number, per their being fastball hitters and him being a fastball thrower, Pedro's saying that he's given his all and can't beat the Yanks.

It's the equivalent of an animal showing its white tail or its soft underbelly. It means pretty much, "I give up".

Capice?
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

The question "Who's your daddy?", when used in sports, means that someone pretty much "owns you", so to speak. Just like Nixon and Piazza had Clemens' number, per their being fastball hitters and him being a fastball thrower, Pedro's saying that he's given his all and can't beat the Yanks.

It's the equivalent of an animal showing its white tail or its soft underbelly. It means pretty much, "I give up".

Capice?
                      Si signor!

Comment

• No comment!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hey...isn't that Curt Shelling?
                          "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Originally posted by MetsFan11368
                            Hey...isn't that Curt Shelling?

I'm not quite sure either.
                            -David

Comment

• From what I understand, Curt Schilling, who posts on both a Red Sox board and a Yankee board under the moniker "Gehrig38", committed the most cardinal of baseball pitching sins: he talked smack about the other team.

I remember that either David Cone or Doc Gooden did this some 10 or 14 years ago when the Mets were in some playoffs and one had an "as told by [player]" column for the NY Daily News, in which he'd seemingly belitted his opponents. The column was immediately pulled the next day, per the pitcher getting lit up.

I have no idea what kind of reaction he'd expected, but here's the thing: I've heard that he'd started some Game Thread on SoSH, a Red Sox board, as he'd reportedly done in the ALDS. Between this and calling out Yankee fans like this, it's like how John Rocker had shouted down to Mets fans, "I've just struck out your best hitter", with regards to fanning Piazza to end the inning.

Instead of toadying up to the crowd wishing to hear lots of player bravado, why don't people just look to get what the real prize should be? You know what that would be? *WINNING*, that's what it should be. Isn't that what this is all about? Or are people more enamored w/the "extras" re making your opponent look silly, than anything else?

Instead of showing up teams or fans of those teams, had he just played a good game, he wouldn't have had a statement to be plastered to the walls of the lockerroom. Mike Mussina's pre-game radio statements were that he'd do his best to keep the game close, and that with a pitcher of Schilling's capabilities, that's the best he could do. Coming from our ace, I'd say that's a great statement.

Had Curt wanted to quiet the Yankee crowd, all he had to do was what I and many other Yankee fans had fully expected from him: 7 innings of 1- or 2-run ball. That would surely have taken the home crowd out of the game! If you look at the Boston 7th and 8th innings, that would've won the game easily. It's only because of our big early lead, plus some clutch hitting by Bernie and Mo's stellar pitching, did we survive. Subtract 6 of the 8 runs the Yanks scored in the first 7 innings, and instead of being up 10-7, we're down 7-4 and Foulke works the bottom of the 9th. Not a pleasant possibility.

I have no problem with a player pleasing his fans. However, doing this to excess, as if to purposely embarrass a team's ever-faithful fans, isn't anything I'd consider good karma. Had Moose ever said this about the Boston crowd, I'd be unmercifully upset with him, especially if that put the game at risk, seeing how players would want to defend their fans' honor.

I only wish that Curt and the other ALCS pitchers can zip it this week. The cat's already out of the bag and is harder to put back in, once out. Let's just have a great series, preferably one w/o unnecessary players stroking fan or fan site bravado!

BTW, one more thing, Curt: there's no such thing as 55,000 New Yorkers at a Yankee-Red Sox game. About 10,000 of them are Red Sox fans, and many of the Yankee fans don't even live in New York.
                              Last edited by Mattingly; 10-13-2004, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• He was joking around.

CURT SCHILLING: In 1993 we went to Atlanta and I can remember, I was pitching the next day and I was talking to Terry Mulholland, and he said the awesome thing about being a starting pitching is you have the ability to make 55,000 people shut up when you're on the road. I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up. (Laughter.) But that's a challenge in this ballpark. The adrenaline, they are going to bring the adrenaline to this park, there's no question.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X