• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still a chance . . .

Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by deanchristopher
      Letter by letter, they're eating their words, and it's all getting a little hard to swallow for Red Sox Nation. They've been saying all along that this was the year. The Curse was being reversed, and the Evil Empire was falling. Then it started...

An ankle injury rendered Schilling worthless, and game one went to those damn Yankees. Then, without warning, the City went paternal on Pedro on game two. Contrary to the hype, these Red Sox aren't ready to rumble. They are, however, ready to tumble, bumble, stumble, fumble and crumble...like Bryant Gumbel. And like it or not, the Empire isn't...

Boston centerfielder Johnny Damon said it best: the 2004 Red Sox are a "bunch of idiots." True to their name, the idiots went to New York and laid the biggest egg since Ernest went to camp, jail, school Africa, Splash Mountain and Hollywood - in that order. I smell a franchise here. Not a sports franchise, a film franchise, a blockbuster of repeatable proportions. And as the idiots go home to Boston, they can only hope for the same improbable happy ending that always befell Mr. Ernest P. Worrell...

Prior to game one, Curt Schilling felt good about his chances at Yankee Stadium. "The great thing about being a starting pitcher is having the ability to make 55,000 people shut up," Schilling boasted. "I'm not sure if I can think of a better scenario than making 55,000 people shut up." But injury aside, is there anything worse than an uppity ace falling flat on his face in his biggest start of the year?

Indeed, the prognosis doesn't look good for Mr. Schilling. To paraphrase Lieutenant Frank Drebin of the famed Naked Gun franchise, "Doctors say that [he] has a 50/50 chance of [pitching], though there's only a ten percent chance of that." But if Schilling can defy the odds and lift his Sox to an improbable pennant, his legacy as a playoff hero would reach rarely charted territory, the hallowed grounds inhabited by Sport's great clutch performers of the modern era: Magic, Bird and Jordan of the NBA; Gretzky, Messier and Roy of the NHL; Montana, Emmitt and Brady of the NFL; and Gibson, Puckett and Jeter of MLB...
      Wow. I don't say this often or easily...but you really come off like a jerk.
      There is absolutely no discussion of baseball here. And except for the very end, where you inexplicably list players who inhabit "hallowed grounds," the whole response is a pretentious dig. Or maybe I've misunderstood your whole point. Were you trying to say that the Sox have lost the first two games? Thanks a bunch! I've been trying find out about that for days!
      Last edited by SoxSon; 10-16-2004, 08:56 AM.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Letter by letter, they're eating their words, and it's all getting a little hard to swallow for Red Sox Nation. They've been saying all along that this was the year. The Curse was being reversed, and the Evil Empire was falling. Then it started...
        You had the exact same thing posted on your website: Ready to crumble

Rather than being a Yankee homer who's very disrespectful to other teams, try being polite and respect your fellow BBF forumers. This is a board where civility to one another is openly encouraged. Like someone, dislike someone, can't stand their team one bit, adore their team, whatever. Please try being nicer to others here.

I don't know which Dean's List you're on, but please leave the cutely-written smack somewhere else. Considering it's merely baseball-*THEMED* and not offering any unique insight, I'm not seeing any true worth in that "article".

If you look at people like Lou Gehrig, Thurman Munson, Donnie Baseball, Derek Jeter, they were all modest, good-hearted human beings and never had any putdowns of their opponents, and each of them played the Red Sox. Please try following that good example, since I consider disrespecting your opponents an unforgiveable baseball sin.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 10-16-2004, 10:04 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SoxSon
          Wow. I don't say this often or easily...but you really come off like a jerk.
          There is absolutely no discussion of baseball here. And except for the very end, where you inexplicably list players who inhabit "hallowed grounds," the whole response is a pretentious dig. Or maybe I've misunderstood your whole point. Were you trying to say that the Sox have lost the first two games? Thanks a bunch! I've been trying find out about that for days!
          Don't get yourself upset, buddy. Between me and Annie, this guy's ours!

Thanks f/quoting it, since I hadn't even noticed its text beforehand. Don't know how that bombshell post slipped under my nose. :o
          Last edited by Mattingly; 10-16-2004, 10:05 AM.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Hey Ken, RMB, bigtime et al: this one's fer *YOU*!

Oh, and these are "pour moi":

Last edited by Mattingly; 10-16-2004, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Just to clear the record, I'm a Red Sox fan. But that doesn't stop me from calling it like I see it. The key here is that - as engrossed as I am in all this - I don't take any of it too seriously. I do, however, regret that my comments were misconstrued as being spiteful. After all, such is the sentimental trap I always try to avoid as a Bostonian.
              Dean Christopher
              http://deans-list.net
              dean[email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                Hey Ken, RMB, bigtime et al: this one's fer *YOU*!

Oh, and these are "pour moi":

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your pics . . . I really can't. - -
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your pics . . . I really can't. - -
                  Hey, I'd made them just fer *YOU*, buddy!

Next time, I'll ask Sheff to cook up somethin' better in the offspring department. Talk about ugly babies!

Comment

Just to clear the record, I'm a Red Sox fan. But that doesn't stop me from calling it like I see it. The key here is that - as engrossed as I am in all this - I don't take any of it too seriously. I do, however, regret that my comments were misconstrued as being spiteful. After all, such is the sentimental trap I always try to avoid as a Bostonian.
                    As you can tell, we throw zings from behind our mutual foxholes. All done in fun, but respectfully so.

I'd appreciate it if you'd not fully quote from your own website, per your sig's stating that this is your site.

I've never known Bostonians being that pessimistic about the series outcome. I've heard of feelings of loss, but it came across as an overconfident Yankee fan, which I tell my fellow Yankee fans not to be so overconfident or "in-your-face" re gloating to Red Sox fans.

If you're a Bostonian, please visit the BOS forum here and speak w/your fellow Red Sox fans. Either case, I'd suggest you not post anything too inflammatory here. Many people will take these comments as serious bragging, and since both a Red Sox fan and myself (Yankee fan, as mentioned earlier) apparently thought so, gives credence there.

Please go back several pages, read how this thread evolved and you'll get a much better gist of the whole thing. We're all good people here, greatly appreciate the wisdom and baseball humor involved from regulars and newbies alike. Enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      Right now, I say the Yanks need 1 solid performer, and I'll admit I'd love to have southpaw Santana. Any FA acquisition is at another team's expense, so I won't say anything negative to Twins fans who'd lose him if that came true.
                      Eh Mattingly....

Santana is a great pitcher so let him stay in Minnesota to keep things interesting and to keep the Twinkies competitive.

Comment

• Nice movie about The Rivalry

I have found this movie about the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry on MLB.com.

Maybe you have seen it already, but if not, here is the link

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps...p?view=bos_nyy

Comment

• Sorry, but Santana's becoming a Yankee is inevitable.

Over the next couple of years, we've got our eye on Santana, Carlos Beltran, Mark Mulder, and Albert Pujols (yes, yes, he's under contract... that's not an obsticle). I can't see us missing out on any of them.
                          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo
                            Sorry, but Santana's becoming a Yankee is inevitable.

Over the next couple of years, we've got our eye on Santana, Carlos Beltran, Mark Mulder, and Albert Pujols (yes, yes, he's under contract... that's not an obsticle). I can't see us missing out on any of them.
                            Give me a break.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                              Give me a break.
                              Hey BoSox Rule, aren't you watching the game?

Comment

• Of course. And Manny better hit 500 ft. Grand Slam next time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X