Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for his own personal safety, he should never appear in Yankee Stadium again. He's supposedly a pretty emotionally fragile guy, and booing doesn't even begin to describe the verbal abuse he'd take at Yankee Stadium. If he's smart, he'll just take a buyout, and go quietly.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo
      Just for his own personal safety, he should never appear in Yankee Stadium again. He's supposedly a pretty emotionally fragile guy, and booing doesn't even begin to describe the verbal abuse he'd take at Yankee Stadium. If he's smart, he'll just take a buyout, and go quietly.

You wish!!!
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
        Has Jason Giambi taken his final swing for the New York Yankees?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
        [/URL]
        All right, if he stays,
        - how do you think the lovable New York fans will treat him next April? -
        All depends upon how he acts. If he's all smug, acts like he's walking on air, he'll get tarred & feathered. If he shows some kind of humility, honesty, perhaps not as badly.

Sheff was also mixed up w/that "cream" nonsense, but then again, he'd come in 3rd in the MVP vote, worked his tail end off despite an injured left shoulder (could barely raise his gloved left hand to catch the ball). Anyway, he at least *PARTIALLY* admitted he'd taken something, rather than constantly denying something.

Morals of the story: always 'fess up when given the chance, and *ALWAYS* root for the NY Yankees. Right, SoxSon?
        :gt
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• I think a lot of NY fans are going to say things like "for his own personal safety..."
          No one's buying that!
          Naturally, you all would LOVE to get out of that contract!

Also, by the way, I thought Sheffield came in 2nd in the MVP voting?
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by SoxSon
            I think a lot of NY fans are going to say things like "for his own personal safety..."
            No one's buying that!
            Naturally, you all would LOVE to get out of that contract!

Also, by the way, I thought Sheffield came in 2nd in the MVP voting?
            I can't seem to get any of my facts together. I slide in, start typing like a madman, then run away, hoping it all reads right. It didn't. :o

Note to self: double-check all facts prior to hitting the "Send" button.

At this point, I'm not worried about his personal safety. I don't wish Jason any harm, but IMO, Jason would be less welcome at YS than Pedro would, regardless of whether Pedro were wearing a Red Sox, Yankee or Mets uni. Regardless of what people see or hear about Yankee fans, we admire tradition and guys who play the game right. When you take some "cream" and all other junk, that makes your stats false.

It's like a kid taking an SAT test, but they've got the answers in their shirt pocket or inside their pen. It's not the right way to win. This "win at all costs, even if unethetical and illegal" doesn't suit me well. Even if the enhancements used are too new to be labelled, they're still mixing with the body to artificially inflate one's power and thereby power numbers.

Had Jason controlled his diet, vitamin intake, workout regimen and put up wonderful numbers, I'd be extremely happy. Doing something like this is just plain cheating. If he's allowed to get away with this, then illegal designer drugs and other new stuff will be used widely in the college and HS levels as well. How soon before the junior varsity guys join into the mix?

Jason knew what he was doing. While his testimony may have shielded him from prosecution, I hope that it doesn't protect him in any way, shape or form from having his contract voided so that he'll be forced to accept a buyout, at most.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
              I can't seem to get any of my facts together. I slide in, start typing like a madman, then run away, hoping it all reads right. It didn't. :o

Note to self: double-check all facts prior to hitting the "Send" button.

At this point, I'm not worried about his personal safety. I don't wish Jason any harm, but IMO, Jason would be less welcome at YS than Pedro would, regardless of whether Pedro were wearing a Red Sox, Yankee or Mets uni. Regardless of what people see or hear about Yankee fans, we admire tradition and guys who play the game right. When you take some "cream" and all other junk, that makes your stats false.

It's like a kid taking an SAT test, but they've got the answers in their shirt pocket or inside their pen. It's not the right way to win. This "win at all costs, even if unethetical and illegal" doesn't suit me well. Even if the enhancements used are too new to be labelled, they're still mixing with the body to artificially inflate one's power and thereby power numbers.

Had Jason controlled his diet, vitamin intake, workout regimen and put up wonderful numbers, I'd be extremely happy. Doing something like this is just plain cheating. If he's allowed to get away with this, then illegal designer drugs and other new stuff will be used widely in the college and HS levels as well. How soon before the junior varsity guys join into the mix?

Jason knew what he was doing. While his testimony may have shielded him from prosecution, I hope that it doesn't protect him in any way, shape or form from having his contract voided so that he'll be forced to accept a buyout, at most.
              With that said, -
              what's your view on the legitimacy of Bonds eventually becoming the all time home-run champion?
              Ken Fougère

Comment

With that said, -
                what's your view on the legitimacy of Bonds eventually becoming the all time home-run champion?
                Directed by Billy Crystal

(filmed in the "Bay Area", of course)

Comment

Had Jason controlled his diet, vitamin intake, workout regimen and put up wonderful numbers, I'd be extremely happy.
                  Unlikely as it might seem, what happens if he comes back clean (though if there are untestable drugs, how could one ever be sure?) and proceeds to put up comparable numbers? What say then? Would the performance still be credited to/blamed on the drugs? If he's driven out, how can we ever know what he might have done? Alternatively, if he returns and drops down well below .300 with a couple of dozen homers, the pro-asterisk movement gets a boost (so to speak). I can't see punishing him financially for anything in the past if it wasn't barred. He was paid to perform and, whether you like how he may have done it or not, he performed. And his teams benefited as well. If they made money from playoff and WS appearances, shouldn't they also be punished? What does seem fair, now, is to hold him to the previously lofty standards upon which his contract was based, and then ding the hell out of him when he gets to the cash register for any failure to deliver the promised goods. As for breaking the law, if that's shown, it's a matter for the legal system. That applies of course to contract law as well, but the devil's in the details. The court of public opinion's another story. Wait until he comes to the plate, if he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
                    Unlikely as it might seem, what happens if he comes back clean (though if there are untestable drugs, how could one ever be sure?) and proceeds to put up comparable numbers? What say then? Would the performance still be credited to/blamed on the drugs? If he's driven out, how can we ever know what he might have done? Alternatively, if he returns and drops down well below .300 with a couple of dozen homers, the pro-asterisk movement gets a boost (so to speak). I can't see punishing him financially for anything in the past if it wasn't barred. He was paid to perform and, whether you like how he may have done it or not, he performed. And his teams benefited as well. If they made money from playoff and WS appearances, shouldn't they also be punished? What does seem fair, now, is to hold him to the previously lofty standards upon which his contract was based, and then ding the hell out of him when he gets to the cash register for any failure to deliver the promised goods. As for breaking the law, if that's shown, it's a matter for the legal system. That applies of course to contract law as well, but the devil's in the details. The court of public opinion's another story. Wait until he comes to the plate, if he does.
                    Given the idea that guys making >$15m can easily afford the most expensive (and undetectable) performance-enhancing drugs in large quantities, I would say that they've got something to gain, such as putting up numbers they wouldn't otherwise put up, so as to earn that fat paycheck, at least per their end of year stats.

If he hadn't admitted using those drugs, but were merely accused, I'd accept him as "clean" until proven otherwise. I can't convict someone if they'd used something which were undetectable, since many elite athletes, such as Tour de France 6-time winner, Lance Armstrong, are accused of cheating in one way or another.

As to whether or not he's banned, I'm not sure if MLB would be so harsh, especially since the MLBPA would surely object to this. If his recent admission of performance-enhancing drug use can be used to void the remainder of his contract, I wouldn't mind seeing that. If he'd then be allowed to re-sign with another team, he wouldn't be banned at all. He just couldn't expect to make the same size paycheck as before, ever again.

As to being punished for his actions of the past, if he took drugs while he was a Yankee, then IMO, he didn't perform honestly, and had inflated his true numbers artificially. I don't find that honest, nor do I want someone doing that on my team.

As to the team being helped by him in the postseason, in the 2002 ALDS Jason, he'd batted .357 and a .526 OPS. He seemed to have gone downhill from there.

Comment

Directed by Billy Crystal

(filmed in the "Bay Area", of course)
                      So I gather you too will see Bonds breaking the record as "tainted" . . .

This crap really sucks when it starts effecting the history of the game . . .
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Mattingly--
                        Just so I'm clear, I, too, think that action needs to be taken with Giambi...
                        But my point was that I think there are a number of Yankee fans who suddenly became very interested in his situation, and I think (for some of them) that their primary motivation is voiding the contract, not cleaning up the game or protecting Jason from angry fans!

Comment

• It's an outrage, brainwashing little kids like this. The little one can't even make his/hers own decisions yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                            It's an outrage, brainwashing little kids like this. The little one can't even make his/hers own decisions yet.
                            - Hey, it's never too early to teach kids to make good decisions in life! -
                            Ken Fougère

Comment

- Hey, it's never too early to teach kids to make good decisions in life! -

My God. You're brainwashed too!!!

Comment

• Ken, I haven't been civil enough to you all season. Now it's time for me to atoll for my countless sins. Here's a Christmas present for you, in light of your team's recent October miracle. First off, a little brassy thing w/some red in it:

Here's some pink sox to keep you warm at night:

2005 calendar (complete w/schedule and everything):

Place to keep your money safe:

Your morning bacon comes to you:

Now then, Ken, never again can it be said that your local Yankee homer ... errrrrrrrrr--Yankee co-Mod, I'd meant to say--hasn't given you anything nice and comfy for Christmas.

Now then, how soon before the temperature starts boiling over way down in the center of Hades?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X