X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fellow fan, member of Red Sox Nation

Originally posted by Biggerin
    Man, I wish I could say that 'Tek only hasn't hit a grand slam in his career because he's trying to hit a single or something more likely than a home run to make the team better. Unfortunately, 'Tek just sucks with the bases loaded.

But, he's still better in every other way than that catcher on that other team I won't name.
    Thou shalt not state, especially in this thread, that Tek "just sucks" :grouchy . Unless you are willing to meet me outside Fenway . Yes, you put in caveats. But you are posting about Varitek. I have a rather firm opinion about Varitek. OK? OK.
    Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
    Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

• What? You have strong opinions about Varitek? I would never have guessed!

But hey, at least I mentioned that that's the only thing he's not so good at!
      "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
      -Scott Stossel

Comment

• Can't knock Varitek this season, he's having a very good one. Though it is odd that he's only on pace for 66 RBI.

And Posada's 2003 was better, once you adjust for park factors.
        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• blah blah park factors, blah blah stats in general (I've never been a fan of taking stats too seriously, as unpopular as that may be on this board).

Yes, Varitek is having a fantastic year. I have to admit, I thought it was just a hot start, but he's kept it going quite consistantly.

It's pointless to argue who's better between Posada and Varitek, though. Not just because there's no concrete way to prove who's better, but because Varitek is far superior in every way, so don't bother.
          "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
          -Scott Stossel

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo
            And Posada's 2003 was better, once you adjust for park factors.
            "Park factors" is a cheap way of saying you won't admit that he didn't have as good of a year. Either he had had a better year or he didn't.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by CuriousBoston
              Thou shalt not state, especially in this thread, that Tek "just sucks" :grouchy . Unless you are willing to meet me outside Fenway . Yes, you put in caveats. But you are posting about Varitek. I have a rather firm opinion about Varitek. OK? OK.
              So she says to the former Boston co-Mod before her arrival. Oh, and he lives in "New Hampshah", which is in NE also.

Oh well, two Beantowners feuding. Who am I to stop it. I should sell tickets.

Oh, and the only real luck was last October sometime. I won't say WHO, but someone just got lucky.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98
                "Park factors" is a cheap way of saying you won't admit that he didn't have as good of a year. Either he had had a better year or he didn't.
                Go to the ballparks forum to discuss park factors if you're serious. Either case, Barry Bonds plays in a pitcher's park, so his numbers are even more amazing.

For smaller places like Fenway, that's in the hitter's favor.
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Varitek flew to Boston from the Cubs game, went to hospital, at 4 AM, June 13th, Tek & Mrs.Tek had third child, Caroline Morgan Varitek. That's a triple.

Last night, Tek did a textbook plate block , and a textbook bunt . Jeter got lucky swinging for fences.

I would start comparing batting averages, but as of last night, Tek was doing better than ORTIZ, so you won't want to go there.
                  Good. Time to convert li'l Caroline into a Yankee fan. Welcome to the DARK SIDE, li'l girlie!

So Tek can block the plate, happened to eke out a bunt. Yeah, yeah, yeah. He's hitting .320, Ortiz is hitting .300, Jeter's hitting .301. I won't mention who on the Yanks is hitting .325 (could be fighting words for you, I realize).

Now then, no sweep of Pittsburgh? Hmmmmmmmmm, didn't the Yanks just sweep a team from that vicinity?

Okay, since I'm already cruisin' for a bruisin', I'll just bid you adieu.

go pittsburgh, win the rubber match!

Comment

• International sign of distress

Originally posted by Mattingly
                    So she says to the former Boston co-Mod before her arrival. Oh, and he lives in "New Hampshah", which is in NE also.

Oh, and the only real luck was last October sometime. I won't say WHO, but someone just got lucky.
                    Hand to thoat, with chopping motion.
                    Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                    Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Hand to thoat, with chopping motion.
                      Awwwwwwwwwwww, you gonna hurt li'l ol' me? I couldn't even hurt a fly! *cough-yeah, right-cough*

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyy ... in true news that doesn't seem real at some itty bitty green park after a 7/16 game, one certain center fielder and one certain formerly corn-rowed pitcher will hold a concert:

Concert at Fenway (scroll down)

Center fielder Bernie Williams, an accomplished guitarist, will have a doubleheader at Fenway Park on July 16. The Yankees and the Red Sox have a game scheduled for 1:05, and Williams and Boston pitcher Bronson Arroyo will play at a postgame concert.

The concert is a fund-raiser for a charitable foundation recently established by Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein and his brother, Paul, a social worker. (AP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Go to the ballparks forum to discuss park factors if you're serious. Either case, Barry Bonds plays in a pitcher's park, so his numbers are even more amazing.

For smaller places like Fenway, that's in the hitter's favor.
                        I am well aware of the use of that term in their discussions(the second and third forums I browse daily are the history/Hall of Fame forums)

That being said, for arguments when comparing players of the PAST to players of the PRESENT or DISTANT PAST it's a valid argument but to use it as a defense when both play in the PRESENT againts EACH OTHER 19 games a year AND the post season it's not a valid point- it's a cheap excuse and wrong use of a good tool for comparison.

Give credit where credit is due, if the guy was better admit it. Running away by misusing a stat is a sorry excuse and demeans the statement...

*capital letters added for emphasis, not shouting*
                        Best posts ever:

Comment

Can we get a cut of the action from ticket sales? We promise to make the feud more "entertaining"
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwwww, you gonna hurt li'l ol' me? I couldn't even hurt a fly! *cough-yeah, right-cough*

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyy ... in true news that doesn't seem real at some itty bitty green park after a 7/16 game, one certain center fielder and one certain formerly corn-rowed pitcher will hold a concert:

Concert at Fenway (scroll down)

Center fielder Bernie Williams, an accomplished guitarist, will have a doubleheader at Fenway Park on July 16. The Yankees and the Red Sox have a game scheduled for 1:05, and Williams and Boston pitcher Bronson Arroyo will play at a postgame concert.

The concert is a fund-raiser for a charitable foundation recently established by Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein and his brother, Paul, a social worker. (AP)
                            Since it's a charity event- truce on that day? We can always counterballance that truce with more jarring before and after that day

A day being nice to the Yankees- can we manage it???
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

• I don't think we were feuding, she just corrected me, that's all :P
                              -Scott Stossel

Comment

• Originally posted by Biggerin
                                I don't think we were feuding, she just corrected me, that's all :P
                                You mean now we won't be able to sell tickets? Aw nuts! Oh well, at least we have the Remy/Orsillo race

Note to those from outside New England, those are the two everyday TV announcers for the Red Sox. They happened to get into a little rivalry over who is faster during the course of today's game and the older Remy bit off more than he could chew(being the former athlete) and forced the younger Orsillo to challenge him to a race to first base as a "put up or shut up". Should be funny seeing two out of shape guys battling it out for bragging rights for the rest of the year
                                Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X