This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mattingly
    Hey, it's not like Sweet Lou's still on George's payroll or anything, is it?
    If he is, he's doing just as effective a job at undermining the organization as the rest of the management in NY!
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by SoxSon
      If he is, he's doing just as effective a job at undermining the organization as the rest of the management in NY!
      What? A mere Beantowner speaking to a Yankee fan w/o bowing meekly and requesting permission to do so? How dare these ragamuffins and minions?!

In actuality, there's a Tampa Bay faction for pitching (minor league pitching guru, Billy Connors) and the Bronx version (pitch coach, Mel Stottlemyre). Billy's been on the payroll for 30+ years, while Mel came in with Joe, was a Yankee pitcher 40 years ago, lost to Bob Gibson (and unfortunately, Tim McCarver catching) in the '64 WS. George always likes the attention, especially for his "own" boys in TB where he lives.

As to Sweet Lou, he must've forgotten to cash the check tonight. Either that or his pitchers didn't. The Yanks are doin' OK, last I heard, so long as we're winning.

Now then, please tell Big Papi to take a day off. Put some little girl in there ahead of Manny. No use getting 9 runs a game. Yeah, that's the ticket!
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

As to Sweet Lou, he must've forgotten to cash the check tonight. Either that or his pitchers didn't. The Yanks are doin' OK, last I heard, so long as we're winning.
        I was referring to the Yank's record against Tampa Bay. But tonight's game serves as well!

Originally posted by Mattingly
        Now then, please tell Big Papi to take a day off. Put some little girl in there ahead of Manny.
        Um...so is A-Rod available then?
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I was referring to the Yank's record against Tampa Bay. But tonight's game serves as well!
          Yanks played stupid baseball in those games. Getting thrown out at home, trying to take an extra base despite the outfielder getting to the ball quickly. I mean, doesn't the ball have to get past somebody before it becomes a double? Or at least hit the side wall and the fielder has to chase it? The Yanks just thought that those bases were theirs.

Wasted scoring opportunities and such. Then chasing first pitches for outs, it looked like that July game at YS vs Boomer where he had 4- or 8-pitch innings. Disgusting!

BTW, those were all your fault, so don't think I'm letting you off easy either!
          Um...so is A-Rod available then?
          No, but Li'l Orphan Annie (from the comix) is. Don't fergit, she's got the big payroll of Daddy Warbucks, so relate that to a certain other figure in Yankee baseball and we'll still beat you.

Oh yeah, per Curt and KC: Toto walks in 4 pitches, and Dorothy takes him *DEEEEEEEEP* into the upper deck!

Now then, please ask your team to score another 15 runs before the game ends. We need everyone nice and tired for the rubber match.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

No, but Li'l Orphan Annie (from the comix) is. Don't fergit, she's got the big payroll of Daddy Warbucks, so relate that to a certain other figure in Yankee baseball and we'll still beat you.
            See...now that's why you're no fun, Mattingly. You're supposed to get PO'd when I say something like that!

Originally posted by Mattingly
            Now then, please ask your team to score another 15 runs before the game ends. We need everyone nice and tired for the rubber match.
            For some reason, they aren't taking my calls. But it's 13-2, and I'm positive they must be plum tuckered out by now!
            Since it's 10-3 in Baltimore, and I haven't seen any play-by-play, I'm assuming that Crosby has hit two grandslams, with probably Cano hitting a couple of inside-the-parkers?! Those two are your big guns, right?!

Comment

See...now that's why you're no fun, Mattingly. You're supposed to get PO'd when I say something like that!
              Sometimes this thread is my safe haven from all the bickering going on here. Nice to have some fun, even if it is only with a lowly Sawx fantasizer.

(ya see, ya wuz supposed to get angry wit dat one, but ya didn't, didja?)
              For some reason, they aren't taking my calls. But it's 13-2, and I'm positive they must be plum tuckered out by now!
              Since it's 10-3 in Baltimore, and I haven't seen any play-by-play, I'm assuming that Crosby has hit two grandslams, with probably Cano hitting a couple of inside-the-parkers?! Those two are your big guns, right?!
              15-2 now, and just retired w/corner runners. Anyway, low-scoring games almost always follow blowouts. I guess they weren't sure what Schill would do tonight, so they went ballistic.

After Sweet Lou allowed one pitcher to give up around 13 runs to the good guys in one 8th inning, I suppose he just gets out his raincoat when it pours and floods runs like that.

Actually, only Sheff hit the big slam. He's got 5 ribeyes so far. Bubba had an RBI bunt single, plating Bernie, and Cano's only contribution tonight was 1 hit and scoring on a Bernie single. Beyond that, he's almost useless.

Comment

• Y'all Beantowners enjoy that WC chase now, here?

Mo and Danys Baez: true Yankee fan faves!

Big Papi, Manny, Olerud. Uno-dos-tres.

Comment

• Would you believe that Tampa Bay is going to have a say in 3 of the 4 AL races??

They still have to play the Angels and Indians.

Comment

Y'all Beantowners enjoy that WC chase now, here?

Mo and Danys Baez: true Yankee fan faves!

Big Papi, Manny, Olerud. Uno-dos-tres.

We figured we'd give you a little excitement...let you taste the lead for a bit.
                    Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

Comment

We figured we'd give you a little excitement...let you taste the lead for a bit.
                      Enjoy it while it lasts!!!
                      I sure will :gt

We're back where we belong!!! As long as it lasts...

Comment

• Dear Beantowners:

Care to double up the bets on next weekend's series? If the race is so close that it determines who stays in the running and who goes golfing, then we can always raise the ante.

The standard is usually 1 week for sigs & avs; 2 if a sweep. We can always go for 2 weeks and 4 if a sweep. Your choice.

BTW, please lose!

Comment

Dear Beantowners:

Care to double up the bets on next weekend's series? If the race is so close that it determines who stays in the running and who goes golfing, then we can always raise the ante.

The standard is usually 1 week for sigs & avs; 2 if a sweep. We can always go for 2 weeks and 4 if a sweep. Your choice.

BTW, please lose!
                          Here's the problem with that.
                          When the Red Sox advance to the postseason, I'd rather make wagers with fans of contending teams. It does me no good at all to have a NY fan wearing a Sox avatar 2-4 weeks after that last series, when you'll have nothing to come here and even write about! :gt

yankees rule: standard rules for me: 1 week for a win in the series, 2 weeks for a sweep, yes?

Comment

Here's the problem with that.
                            When the Red Sox advance to the postseason, I'd rather make wagers with fans of contending teams. It does me no good at all to have a NY fan wearing a Sox avatar 2-4 weeks after that last series, when you'll have nothing to come here and even write about! :gt

yankees rule: standard rules for me: 1 week for a win in the series, 2 weeks for a sweep, yes?
                            Of course it won't do you any good: it won't happen!

Now then, make sure to place your bets and do show up on time. Y'all will be wearing the Yankee avs and sigs, be properly attired for a few weeks!

Comment

• It would be nice if we had some NL folks over here, instead of complaining that it's all AL fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chisox73
                                Would you believe that Tampa Bay is going to have a say in 3 of the 4 AL races?? They still have to play the Angels and Indians.
                                Lou sure knew when to buy out his contract.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X