This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by efin98
    It ain't your team, it's actually Baltimore(seriously)
    Actually...

The Sox swept them in a three-game set at the Yard. YET Baltimore is in second place

Comment

• Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
      Actually...

The Sox swept them in a three-game set at the Yard. YET Baltimore is in second place
      That was this year. However since 1999(where the rivalry actually picked up) they have been better against the Red Sox than the other teams in the division.

New York has a winning record against Boston(due to 2001) but is still a game or two behind Baltimore overall.

And Toronto and Tampa have losing records against Boston by about 10 games overall during the span.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• YEAH!!! WAY TO GO TAMPA BAY!!! ouch that hurts... (trust me I know the feeling...)

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
          YEAH!!! WAY TO GO TAMPA BAY!!! ouch that hurts... (trust me I know the feeling...)
          One game out of three, gee they are really on fire now

Funny that you are cheering them on, they have a BETTER record than New York at 8-8

Any yet despite the loss Boston still has best record in the AL and tied with the Mets for the most wins in the majors.
          Best posts ever:

Comment

• 2 games away from the division leader. Hey I want to sing a song to all yyou Boston fans out there.
            Pray for the dead and the dead will pray you
            You guys better get praying
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
              2 games away from the division leader. Hey I want to sing a song to all yyou Boston fans out there.
              Pray for the dead and the dead will pray you
              You guys better get praying
              You have nothing to cheer for- your team is 9-8 and still in third place
              Best posts ever:

Comment

• Schilling says 2007 will be last season of glittering career -

If the question was how many World Series Red Sox ace Curt Schilling has pitched in, most would answer three -- 1993 with Philadelphia, 2001 with Arizona, and 2004 with Boston.

But there's one missing and it's probably the most important.

Twenty years ago Schilling helped Yavapai Junior College reach the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. He posted an 11-2 record in 1986 and his appearance for the Roughriders that May propelled him to stardom.

Schilling, now 39, was drafted by the Red Sox in January of 1986 -- the last year of the winter draft -- and his career has taken many different twists and turns. Now he can see the end of it.

"I've got another year left after this one and then I'm done," said Schilling yesterday. "God willing I can stay healthy the next two years, have good years and win a World Series, but after that I'm done. I couldn't be more ecstatic about what I've been given a chance to do."

He wouldn't change anything.

"Nothing," he said. "If it ended today I would be so blessed and grateful for all the things that have happened to me, JUCO being one of them because that was the foundation for everything and I wouldn't trade that for anything."

He was born in Alaska and grew up in Arizona. He played only one season for Yavapai because he was drafted by the Sox and wanted to begin his pro career as soon as possible.

"Just getting drafted was unbelievable," he said. "I didn't go to class very much that semester, it was all about having fun and playing baseball. I knew I was going to sign. Hindsight being what it is I was pretty stupid because I could have gotten hurt, but this is what I've always wanted to do."

When he played for the Roughriders, Dave Dangler was the coach and Schilling said that playing for him was crucial to him. That magical season set the foundation for a successful career.

Schilling's father, Cliff, went to all of his games when he played for Yavapai, and when his dad died two years later, Dangler and Schilling's former Roughrider teammates attended the funeral.

"Dave was a very pivotal man in my life," he said. "I was in my share of trouble that year, being away from home. He called me into his office one day, sat me down after the draft and said, 'You have to look at things very differently from here on out, because you're pitching for dollars now. This is about your future and your career.' He really made me focus on priorities, I didn't immediately change, but it was something I started to understand a little bit better."

On the field, 1986 molded his persona.

"It's one [year] that I remember as vividly as anything for a lot of different reasons," said Schilling. "It was a big year in my life because I was away from home for the first time. I played on a phenomenal team. It was the most talented team I ever played on."

That club was a close group of guys and Schilling stays in contact with most of them. The club posted a 36-16 regular-season record before the tournament.

"It was a storybook year," said Schilling. "It was such a fun group of guys. For me on a personal level it was a very big year."

It was the first time he pitched in front of a large crowd and signed autographs.

"It was an eye-opener," he said. "It's still one of my favorite years of baseball because of the team, the environment, the situation and the year."

When Schilling was struggling in the starting rotation last season, there was much discussion when the Sox decided to send him to the bullpen. It was a relief appearance in the JUCO World Series that caught the attention of pro scouts and vaulted Schilling to a higher level.

"I came in relief for the first time and I was throwing as hard as I ever had thrown in my life," he said. "I slammed the door and it was a big deal for the professional people."

He wasted little time becoming a pro and signed with the Sox less than a half hour after his team was eliminated from the JUCO World Series. Red Sox scout Ray Boone signed Schilling, who started his career with Single-A Elmira of the New York-Penn League.

"It was a whirlwind, but it was a phenomenal experience," said Schilling. "It was a special year for all of us. It was incredible. 1986 was one of the funnest years of my life, including pro ball. No question, on and off the field. I was crushed when it was over."

He'll have the same feeling after the 2007 season when he walks off the mound for the last time. -
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hey, Schill. Me thinks that Cleveland will salute you royally also. In fact, they'll salute Josh Beckett as well. And you people thought it was only Baltimore that gave you people troubles.

Announcing Thursday's Grand MC, who turned a good win into a solid beating down by opening up a *HUGE* can of the goodies!

Ben Broussard is batting .368 (14-for-28) with
                  47 RBI in his career when the bags are juiced. (AP)

15-3, Ladies and Germs! As a certain rabbit of Brooklyn and da-da-da-da ... da *BRONX* heritage would say, Wotta performance, Gargantua, Wotta performance!

Broussard drives in eight as Indians hand Beckett first loss

Last edited by Mattingly; 04-28-2006, 09:54 AM.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• - Don't worry, yours is coming Monday & Tuesday . . .
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                      - Don't worry, yours is coming Monday & Tuesday . . .
                      Gee, we'll have to trade for that Broussard guy by then. Thanks for the forewarning!

Check out the cap, Ken.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mattingly; 04-28-2006, 09:51 AM.
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• - Hope you like my av . . . you'll be wearing it alot this season and soon! -
                        Last edited by KenFougere; 04-28-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

- Hope you like my av . . . you'll be wearing it alot this season and soon! -
                          I suggest you open your eyes a little wider when you select avs. Anyway, you should've used the traditional Yankee logo if using one.

Here's a nice one for you, so that you can salute your Daddy! However, he may need to create better offspring.

Hiya, Ken!
                          Last edited by Mattingly; 04-28-2006, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                            I suggest you open your eyes a little wider when you select avs. Anyway, you should've used the traditional Yankee logo if using one.

Hiya, Ken!
                            - I thought I did use the traditional Yankee logo . . .
                            Or maybe you meant the one below . . .
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by KenFougere; 04-28-2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

- I thought I did use the traditional Yankee logo . . .
                              For some strange reason, your smilies never show for me. Anyway, since you always use the patched sox thing, I figured that was more traditional than the "B" one.

Traditional:

Variation on the traditional:

Regular:

Here's my idea of the traditional Yankee logo:

Last edited by Mattingly; 04-28-2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Here's a nice one for you, so that you can salute your Daddy
                                And you can salute our Pappy

May 1st is only 3 days away

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X