X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Re: State your case

Originally posted by Mattingly
    Nah, we'll have a 1-game playoff like in 1978. We'll have to figure out the scenario out, but first, we'll need to know where it's played, whether something's hit over the short porch or the Monster, who pops it up, who almost misses a blind catch, and who goes home crying at the end.
    Code:
    [B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]  [IMG]http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/images/smiles/nono.gif[/IMG] - Don't go there... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by BC498
      Give me Paul O'Neill over Juan Gonzalez anyday.
      Absolutely. No discussion is needed, only we can't get O'Neill.
      Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: State your case

Originally posted by KenFougere
        Code:
        [B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]  [IMG]http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/images/smiles/nono.gif[/IMG] - Don't go there... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
        [/B]
        OK, said in jest, but I can understand the sensitivity of this, since it was Yaz. Hey, saying "Game 7" to a Yankee fan still brings back memories of 2001, and that 1960 Game 7 didn't exactly go over too well either.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• trades

ok so the yanks got benitez and the twins got shannon stewart.

the rumors are the sox are after suppan or trachsel. I hope this is wrong. They are weak pickups.

Ponson is the move.

Comment

• Re: trades

Originally posted by RedSoxFanAtic

the rumors are the sox are after suppan or trachsel. I hope this is wrong. They are weak pickups.

Ponson is the move.
            Hey, you wanna trade Nomar for Mike Cameron? C'mon, you guys need a center fielder.

Was it even worth a shot?

Comment

Ponson is the move.
              Which rumors? I tend not to trust anything from Gammons' grapevine, and anything on the mouthy talk radios are equally unreliable.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• like I said in the red sox forum:

An 8-7 record with a 3.7somethingish ERA on a losing team could very well be more like a 10-4 record with a 2.90 ERA with the Red Sox. Poor defense in the form of lack of range and inability to turn a double play can increase a pitcher's ERA, and lack of run support can worsen your record. (Mike maroth, for example, could have a completely opposite record from what he has now if he played for a contending team)

Suppan's been on losing teams for a long time now, and I feel that his stats are rather good considering. Anyone who has a winning record on a losing team deserves consideration at the very least.

I don't know much about suppan, but IF the sox can get him for next to nothing (ie, cash and non-top prospects), I have no problem with him taking, perhaps, john burkett's spot in the rotation (and I assure you, I love burkett more than any red sox fan out there, but it may be his time to go)

I feel the sox need starting pitching, dispite the bullpen's woes earlier on in the season, and dispite the 15-3 record for boston starters in the last month or so. Burkett may be 5-1 recently, but he's actually RAISED his ERA, and made for some really interesting games.

On top of that, an 8-7 3.whatever ERA 5th starter isn't too shabby IMO.

(on a side note, something about this rumor seems to me to be more likely than some of the others I've heard, and the only reason I can think of is because of the types of pickups that theo has made during the offseason. He picked up people like Kevin Millar, who a year ago no one knew who he was, and now he's a major part of the red sox offisive juggernaut. Suppan is someone else that I feel might shine as a member of the boston red sox, at least over what he's been in the past.)

(of course, I have technically had a few beers and could be talking outta my butt. Yes, if I'm wrong, I'll blame the beer, if I'm right, I'll claim to have known it all along and will be a stinkin' genius!)
                "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                -Scott Stossel

Comment

• Biggerin, which thread in the BoSox forum?

Comment

• suppan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Biggerin
                    [B]
                    Suppan's been on losing teams for a long time now, and I feel that his stats are rather good considering. Anyone who has a winning record on a losing team deserves consideration at the very least.

I don't know much about suppan, but IF the sox can get him for next to nothing (ie, cash and non-top prospects), I have no problem with him taking, perhaps, john burkett's spot in the rotation [QUOTE]

the whole purpose of giving up prospects is to make a significant improvement in the major league team, and give your team a shot at the playoffs.
                    Suppan would be a decent pitcher, but not a really strong pitcher. He used to play for the sox, and many of us have followed what he's done since he left. He's just ok. He gives up homers and is hittable. He's improved but not that much. He's not that much better than burkett or mendoza. he gets tired after 6 innings.
                    Ponson is also available for prospects and the sox should get it done. He would make a difference. he completes games, is an innings horse, and clearly superior to suppan. there are times when theo's thrifty moves are great and there are times when it's smarter to go for the established talent and make the team better. ponson helps us win. suppan or trachsel is a cheapscape copout who doesn't make us much better and still costs us prospects.
                    Trachsel is 32, makes 3 million, and isn't very good. Ponson is 26, makes 4.5 million, and is really, really good.
                    Suppan is 28, makes 500,000, and not that great either. if your gonna get a weak pitcher, don't waste your time, and keep your prospects.

Comment

• Fanatic, presuming they were looking for "B" minor leaguers, what kinds of prospects were the O's seeking to trade Sidney Ponson (pitching, OF, etc)? Not that they're a "division rival" of Boston's, but you think they'd trade within the same division?

Comment

• ponson

The Orioles have made it clear that everyone is available on their team for the riight price. As for dealing within their division, I think as long as they're improving their situation they'd go for it.

Typically whether they want 'a' prospects or 'b' prospects depends on how much salary the other team is willing to eat. If the sox ate all of the remainder on Ponson's contract, and offered 3 'b' prospects, they'd be matching what the yanks just paid for Benitez. Even if they had to cough up 1 'a' prospest in there, I think to get a ponson they should do it. The whole purpose of prospects is to make a good major league team, and the sox are starting to build up their prospects, so losing one 'a' now to really improve their team wouldn't hurt their farm system that much. Ponson would be a killer addition.
                        I read in the globe there was chatter at the all-star game that ponson was headed to a national league team. why? cuz the sox won't pay what he's worth? aren't being proactive and aggressive enough? Yoou just know if he's dealt away to someone else, the price they pay is gonna be annoying because we'll know we could've had what it takes to win instead of a cheapscape bandaid. If the yanks get Benitez and possibly Juan Gone, and our reply is Jeff freakin Suppan, then it will be, sadly, more of the same old story.

Comment

Ponson is the move.
                          If I was the O's -- I'd hold onto Ponson. Sometimes it's the deals you don't make that wins you a championship.
                          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Ponson

His trade value will never be higher than it is right now, and he probably won't be around when the Orioles have a shot at being a good team again, which is probably a good 3 or 4 years from happening at the least. Make the trade now, and see if you can deal Melvin Mora as well.
                            I'm NickG, and I approve this message.

Home page

"In God we trust, all else must have data."
                            -- Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson

Comment

• Re: ponson

The Orioles have made it clear that everyone is available on their team for the riight price. As for dealing within their division, I think as long as they're improving their situation they'd go for it.
                              Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you hear this? Their website? ESPN? A local MD, DC or VA sports section?

Comment

• Re: Disapointments

Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Hey,saying "Game 7" to a Yankee fan still brings back memories of 2001, and that 1960 Game 7 didn't exactly go over too well either.
                                Yes but, compare your winning % to Boston's in game 7's? Then let me know if you wanna trade records? The two examples you mentioned are but mere wrinkles to the Yankees successful record.. Whereas '67, '75 & '86 are all I have in my lifetime to look back on.... and they're all losses! Yankee fans have bad memories 2001? Who won the previous THREE? You guys don't know how truly fortunate you have been! Try having your fondest baseball memories in your life be when your team lost....
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X