X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Disapointments

Originally posted by KenFougere
    Yes but, compare your winning % to Boston's in game 7's? Then let me know if you wanna trade records? The two examples you mentioned are but mere wrinkles to the Yankees successful record.. Whereas '67, '75 & '86 are all I have in my lifetime to look back on.... and they're all losses! Yankee fans have bad memories 2001? Who won the previous THREE? You guys don't know how truly fortunate you have been! Try having your fondest baseball memories in your life be when your team lost....
    Yeah, you're right, we are lucky dogs. It's amazing that 2 years off seems like a larger period of time, so I guess that makes me spoiled rotten.

I couldn't fathom having lost since my great granddad was a fan, nor 3 seasons with no playoffs. Well, you guys are tough, so I'll say that requires serious commitment to one's team.

In fact, I even taped the 1946, 1967, 1975 WS, but someone didn't return my 1986 WS tape. It's always been 7 games with you guys after 1918. I can't figure out if that's written in some manual.

That causes me to wonder, if you were 1 strike away from winning it all in game 6, how comfortable would you all feel? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 07-18-2003, 02:15 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Disapointments

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Yeah, you're right, we are lucky dogs. It's amazing that 2 years off seems like a larger period of time, so I guess that makes me spoiled rotten.

I couldn't fathom having lost since my great granddad was a fan, nor 3 seasons with no playoffs. Well, you guys are tough, so I'll say that requires serious commitment to one's team.

In fact, I even taped the 1946, 1967, 1975 WS, but someone didn't return my 1986 WS tape. It's always been 7 games with you guys after 1918. I can't figure out if that's written in some manual. Yes

That causes me to wonder, if you were 1 strike away from winning it all in game 6, how comfortable would you all feel? Just a thought.
      What do you mean how comfortable we would feel?

Also, could I get copies of your '67 & '75 World Series tapes? I'd pay for the tapes and shipping of course...
      Last edited by KenFougere; 07-18-2003, 10:50 PM.
      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Disapointments

What do you mean how comfortable we would feel?

Also, could I get copies of your '67 & '75 World Series tapes? I'd pay for the tapes and shipping of course...
        Looking back at my quote, I probably meant how did you feel being only 1 strike away from winning the 1986 WS but allowing a baserunner seveal times.

A friend of mine (a Mets fan) is obsessed with that WS, and he's had me tape a few things of this, so that's why I've watched.

I'll see what I can do about a copy, so drop me a PM. I've got some nice stuff about Fenway and the BoSox from ESPN Classic. The history, then Fisk, Yaz, Teddy and a few others. The 1967 and 75 WS are on the same tape so that's how I keep them together. Here's a link to them.

http://espn.go.com/classic/index.html

You'd need to click on "complete schedule" on the right in blue to find out what's scheduled over the next month or so.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 07-19-2003, 12:46 AM.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Oh Jeez, I'm getting far too civil in here. Are y'all having lots of fun at Fenway yet?

There, that feels much better.

Comment

• (at the risk of not posting a thoughtful post that contributes to the overall sophistication of the populace -- but it is heartfelt)

Bplhpblhpblhpblphlbphlbphl. bhlhplbhplbhplhbbp and bhhbhblphbplhb.
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

• Originally posted by VTSoxFan
              I concur.
              2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                You spelled it wrong. The fourth 'p' in the second word is supposed to be in front of the next-to-last 'b'...
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Re: Re: ponson

Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you hear this? Their website? ESPN? A local MD, DC or VA sports section?
                  The Orioles GM was quoted on the espn team page all last week. it's since been replaced. it was very specific. it emphasized 'everyone' and named Ponson and Mora as well as one or two others. I think he was trying to encourage offers and is trying to get prospects and salary dump. I was encouraged to see it, but I also read at one point that the braves were interested in ponson and then read gordon edes in the globe say the all-star game chatter was that ponson was going to a national league team. I just think the sox should step up and pay what it takes to land this guy, and slide him in as their 2nd best starter.
                  Interestingly enough - today on their espn team page, it says the orioles might offer ponson a multi-year deal THIS WEEKEND. I'm imaginging that is because teams are reluctant to give up alot of prospects to get a guy for half a year. If he gets signed to a longer term, his value goes up and teams are more willing to commit. I sure hope the sox know his worth and are willing to pursue aggressively.
                  my fear is the braves are the smart ones.

Comment

• Re: Ponson

Originally posted by RedSoxFanAtic
                    I just think the sox should step up and pay what it takes to land this guy, and slide him in as their 2nd best starter.
                    Interestingly enough - today on their espn team page, it says the orioles might offer ponson a multi-year deal THIS WEEKEND. I'm imaginging that is because teams are reluctant to give up alot of prospects to get a guy for half a year. If he gets signed to a longer term, his value goes up and teams are more willing to commit. I sure hope the sox know his worth and are willing to pursue aggressively.
                    I hope you're right, I really do BUT, have you heard the Sox even utter the name, Ponson yet. I haven't seen or heard it come out of their camp at all...
                    Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: ponson

Originally posted by RedSoxFanAtic
                      The Orioles GM was quoted on the espn team page all last week. it's since been replaced. it was very specific. it emphasized 'everyone' and named Ponson and Mora as well as one or two others. I think he was trying to encourage offers and is trying to get prospects and salary dump. I was encouraged to see it, but I also read at one point that the braves were interested in ponson and then read gordon edes in the globe say the all-star game chatter was that ponson was going to a national league team. I just think the sox should step up and pay what it takes to land this guy, and slide him in as their 2nd best starter.
                      I'll take your word for it. I wasn't checking out the O's team page much, so I missed it. Either case, I guess they must not have gotten much of a reaction from Boston or anyone else if they're going to offer him a contract. From your description, they seemed to want to send out a "feeler" to guage interest. I guess even if they'd kept Ponson, the interest level would've helped determine salary or length of contract.

Yes, I think Boston needs a #2 starter badly, but I guess you'll understand my hoping this never happens soon. Seriously, I'm not sure who's your current #2 (Lowe or Wakefield), but someone solid couldn't hurt. Heck, I'd give my eyeteeth to have Halladay or Wood in the Bronx.

It's Sunday, so if this isn't finalized, I couldn't say. From ESPN's Baltimore team page:
                      The O's might make a long-term contract offer to RHP Sidney Ponson this weekend, The Baltimore Sun reported July 18.
                      From the Baltimore Sun:
                      O's Ponson gets offer, then gets win, 8-4

He stops Angels for No. 13 as agent talks contract

By Joe Christensen
                      Sun Staff
                      Originally published July 20, 2003

The Orioles made a long-term contract offer to Sidney Ponson last night, handing the proposal to his agent right before Ponson went out and won his career-high 13th game.

Orioles executive vice president Jim Beattie and Ponson's agent, Barry Praver, declined to discuss the specifics of the offer, but both confirmed that one was made after the Orioles defeated the Anaheim Angels, 8-4, before 37,507 at Camden Yards.

"We're talking," Beattie said, "and that's all I can say."

Earlier this month, Beattie said the Orioles were planning to make Ponson an incentive-laden, three-year offer, adding that a deal probably wouldn't happen if Ponson was seeking $10 million per year.

The way Ponson is pitching, his value is only going up.
                      You'll need to click the link to see the rest of the article.

When you'd written "If he gets signed to a longer term, his value goes up and teams are more willing to commit", were you referring to his trade value later on? His value to the team?

Comment

• It's amazing... Juan Acevedo is all the way in Toronto and he's still blowing games for the Yankees!

WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeMan
                          It's amazing... Juan Acevedo is all the way in Toronto and he's still blowing games for the Yankees!

He should've been picked up by Boston instead. That would've been fun. He could close 1 or 2 run games out for Pedro.

Comment

• No Thanks!

He should've been picked up by Boston instead. That would've been fun. He could close 1 or 2 run games out for Pedro.

Two Things . . . [list=1][*]We'll stick with Kim.
                            [*]Acevedo's helping us enough right where he is, thank-you... [/list=1]
                            Ken Fougère

Comment

• Re: No Thanks!

Two Things . . . [list=1][*]We'll stick with Kim.
                              [*]Acevedo's helping us enough right where he is, thank-you... [/list=1]
                              No fair. Doza was on George's payroll, so Juan should've been also. Of course, his uppity 'tude didn't help him any, and putting him in a save situation was much akin to thinking kerosene can be used as a flame retardent.

Must be that 35 year old rookie manager, Carlos Tosca.

Oh well, it would've been better that they'd have won 3 of 4, since Pedro was a no-brainer, but at least you're not sweeping them anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by bengalbill
                                It's the Indians!!!!

We used to go to Cleveland to see the Tigers play at the old "Mistake by the Lake". There were always Indians' "fans" there who weren't interested in following the game but took great delight in following and hounding the Tigers fans.
                                I hear that. I hated going to Tigers/Tribe games in the mid 90's at Tiger Stadium because the majority of the fans were Indian fans. I hated that. It was the same way back in 1990-1993 with the Blue Jays. But the jays fans were Canucks and were nearly as bad as the jerk indian fans.

The team I hate the most is the Yankees, never liked them. I loved it when I was a kid in the 1980's and the Tigers were good and the Yankees were mediocre. How I long for those days.
                                1921 1922 1926 1942 1955 1957 1960 1963 1964 1976 1981 2001...Great Years for baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X