This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
    Hahah, you're a Yankee fan, you should know the best way to win a championship is to buy it! Just ask the Junior Yankees how they did it in 2004...
    Sorry HH, but that is not the point here. It is just about who gets the most wins at the end of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
      Sorry HH, but that is not the point here. It is just about who gets the most wins at the end of the season.
      That's exactly the point. How do you get those wins? Open up a checkbook.
      2016 World Series Champions

Comment

That's exactly the point. How do you get those wins? Open up a checkbook.
        Yup, those last three wins against Detroit and last two against Boston are courtesy of a checkbook, right? Or good pitching and good hitting?

Take your choice.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by ESPNFan
          Another astrixed win for the pinstripes tonight as Roidboy walks in the winning run.

At least our rook looked good. If Francona pulled him after he let the first guy on in the 7th the juice box would have never got the chance to mar yet another game.

Tomorrow the worm turns...
          That seems really pretty low. If you guys win, you celebrate. if you lose, there's no credit to the opposing team. That seems to me like poor sportsmanship. I was hoping that you wouldn't be like that, but a win is a win. No need for name-calling.

Hey, isn't Wang young also? Perhaps not on his 2nd game, but he did quite well against Ortiz and Manny.

For the record, teams winning a blowout, in the next game, will often have a low score. I'll give lots of credit to the young Boston call-up, but low scores result after lots of runs the prior game.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
            Yup, those last three wins against Detroit and last two against Boston are courtesy of a checkbook, right? Or good pitching and good hitting?

Take your choice.
            I don't think you understand the concept of business in baseball. The players you have with good hitting and good pitching are a product of money. The payroll of the Yankees is 13 times greater than that of the Marlins this year. Of course, the Marlins aren't trying to compete, wouldn't you agree? Otherwise, they'd be doing what? Spending money.

Comment

I don't think you understand the concept of business in baseball. The players you have with good hitting and good pitching are a product of money. The payroll of the Yankees is 13 times greater than that of the Marlins this year. Of course, the Marlins aren't trying to compete, wouldn't you agree? Otherwise, they'd be doing what? Spending money.
              The Marlins have the lowest payroll in baseball, right? Aren't they all a bunch of rookies or 2nd year guys barely making the league minimum? Other than Dontrelle Willis, they've traded away all of their hi-salaried guys, such as Lowell, Beckett, Delgado, etc. I think that's an extreme example to compare the Yanks to. Perhaps the Red Sox or Mets could be likelier references

For a team to have a payroll less than $20m, to me, is a disgrace. While I'm far from a fan of the Yanks spending $200m, when you even go much below $40m, I think that needs to be looked at also.

Still, this is a fun thread, not a payroll thread, so perhaps you could post a new thread about payroll ceilings and floors if you'd like.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 06-06-2006, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Still, this is a fun thread, not a payroll thread, so perhaps you could post a new thread about payroll ceilings and floors if you'd like.
                Okay, but take it easy. You don't seem like your upbeat self. Now join me in the discussion I will be making soon.

Comment

Okay, but take it easy. You don't seem like your upbeat self. Now join me in the discussion I will be making soon.
                  I'm actually pooped right now. You're further east than me, plus I've got a busy schedule tomorrow, both here and elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of payroll discussions, but I'm sure others will join in.

Take care, enjoy the Cubs-Cards rivalry thread also.

Comment

I'm actually pooped right now. You're further east than me, plus I've got a busy schedule tomorrow, both here and elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of payroll discussions, but I'm sure others will join in.

Take care, enjoy the Cubs-Cards rivalry thread also.
                    Will do. I know how it is though. I just got a new job. Yay. Night shift. Every night except tonight and tomorrow. I slept all day today.

Comment

• Looks like the chowdas from Boston will be swepted.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake83
                        Looks like the chowdas from Boston will be swepted.....
                        It's a 4-game series. If they get humiliated that bad, Ken should really wear my sig & av for an extra 1/2 week.

Right now, it's impossible for the Yanks to lose this series, so if we win tonight, we've won the series.

Oh yeah, guess who's leading the AL East by 1.5 games?

In further news, just as Manny has made goofy catches, he gets the "favor" returned.

And then he falls on his face (as do the Beantowners)!

Comment

There is nothing astrixed to this win. You can't blame us that your pitcher let the batter go with a BB. So the only astrixed part IS this BB for your team.

C'mon man. The season's still long. It is just a loss. Not the end of the world. At the end only the most wins in a season count, not just the wins over your rival. You have to beat the weaker opponents to become a champion.
                          Originally posted by Mattingly
                          That seems really pretty low. If you guys win, you celebrate. if you lose, there's no credit to the opposing team. That seems to me like poor sportsmanship. I was hoping that you wouldn't be like that, but a win is a win. No need for name-calling.

Hey, isn't Wang young also? Perhaps not on his 2nd game, but he did quite well against Ortiz and Manny.

For the record, teams winning a blowout, in the next game, will often have a low score. I'll give lots of credit to the young Boston call-up, but low scores result after lots of runs the prior game.
                          Hey I have a passionate dislike for your perpetually sweaty firstbasemen/DH.
                          The Yanks could have gotten rid of him if they wanted to. I have no problem with the rest of your team other than the laundry and respect them (almost) to a man. Its a shame that thier accomplishments are lumped in with an admitted (in all likelyhood careerlong with the exception of '04) cheater.

And the fact that I had to listen to Wink and Edith on the Yankee broadcast yesterday probably made me grumpier than usual.

And another thing...How the heck is Miguel Cairo's dribbler ruled a hit?!?! Thats just mindboggling scorekeeping.

Like I said before, tonight the worm turns.......
                          Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Yeah. Spending money was the clue the last couple of seasons. What did it bring us besides the biggest payroll in baseball? Nothing.

Like I said before; just spending money will not bring you a championship.

Comment

Yeah. Spending money was the clue the last couple of seasons. What did it bring us besides the biggest payroll in baseball? Nothing.

Like I said before; just spending money will not bring you a championship.
                              I'm going to have to disargee with you here.
                              Last night you had a yankee team with 3 all star/MVP caliber players out of its regular line up due to injury.
                              Jeter, Sheffield and Matsui.

But yet you still had an other 3 All Star/MVP caliber guys to feild in Giambi, Damon and A-Rod. Not to mention Posada and Cano who are very good.

And this is just talking about your line up.
                              Can you name another team that can lose 2 guys like that and not be crippled?
                              Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ESPNFan
                                Hey I have a passionate dislike for your perpetually sweaty firstbasemen/DH.
                                The Yanks could have gotten rid of him if they wanted to. I have no problem with the rest of your team other than the laundry and respect them (almost) to a man. Its a shame that thier accomplishments are lumped in with an admitted (in all likelyhood careerlong with the exception of '04) cheater.

And the fact that I had to listen to Wink and Edith on the Yankee broadcast yesterday probably made me grumpier than usual.

And another thing...How the heck is Miguel Cairo's dribbler ruled a hit?!?! Thats just mindboggling scorekeeping.

Like I said before, tonight the worm turns.......
                                The Yanks have a no-trade clause with Jason Giambi. The only reason he didn't return to Oakland is because they'd refused to offer him a no-trade to re-sign. Without the no-trade, he'd have negotiated with the Cards, who took ex-Yankee Tino Martinez as their 2nd choice.

Yes, he took steroids, as he'd admitted, as was leaked. Very unfortunate, but I wouldn't say that means an asterisk is deserved for a win. I've never heard of anyone taking steroids to walk; I'd always thought it was to hit a ball further, quicker recovery time, etc.

In the 13-5 game, he'd hit one into the upper deck. You could question that, but those 3 runs didn't change the results of the game.

Who's Wink and Edith? I know of Sterling and Waldman.

As to the hit, I wasn't watching the whole game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X