This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CuriousBoston
    Aw honey him.... put his pillow and blanket on the couch. Hide the remote and batteries in two places. Put the beer in the freezer. Or down the sink. Disappear his favorite snack food. (You know the drill; reducing males to begging is fairly easy, but this power must be carefully used.) Hee.
    There is only one forbiden word in this house (a name...a little boy....a Yankee fan's last result of pain against an O's fan)...

That's the only thing that lands him on the couch.
    Orioles: Once fine organization, being run into the ground by Peter Angelos.

Comment

• Originally posted by CuriousBoston
      No. I think he needs more couch time. With a two year old that has a cold.
      I need to borrow one. I'll just cheer for the Blue Jays.

Comment

• A real shame . . .

It was the first game-winning homer off Rivera since Bill Mueller did it for the Red Sox on July 24, 2004 . . .

Oh ya, I remember that.

Comment

• (*I haven't read all 234 pages of this thread, so it might have been posted elsewhere - I apologize if it has.*)

A few months ago I read an article in Sports Illustrated that stated a large majority of the little league teams around the Boston area changed their names if they were the Yankees. This is in large part because these little kids were being booed just because of their team name. It was a funny article, in a sad sort of way.
          Last edited by Wade8813; 07-21-2006, 12:07 PM.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• Originally posted by Wade8813
            *I haven't read all 234 pages of this thread, so it might have been posted elsewhere - I apologize if it has.*

A few months ago I read an article in Sports Illustrated that stated a large majority of the little league teams around the Boston area changed their names if they were the Yankees. This is in large part because these little kids were being booed just because of their team name. It was a funny article, in a sad sort of way.
            Yup,very true, which is why the Lowell Spinners (AA team of Redsox) offered free jerseys to any team willing to change their names from Yankees to Spinners.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wade8813
              *I haven't read all 234 pages of this thread, so it might have been posted elsewhere - I apologize if it has.*

A few months ago I read an article in Sports Illustrated that stated a large majority of the little league teams around the Boston area changed their names if they were the Yankees.
              Hey, it's tough enough now-a-days for kids. They shouldn't have to play baseball with that name stuck on the front of their jersey's . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Chelle
                There is only one forbiden word in this house (a name...a little boy....a Yankee fan's last result of pain against an O's fan)...

That's the only thing that lands him on the couch.
                To this day, I still have trouble understanding how a then 12-y.o. kid who have such a bad name back there. It's like he's the Buckey Dent of the Orioles fans.

I'd posted about it once about 2004 in the O's forum, but fans seem to think it absolutely stopped their team's momentum. It was the first game. You've still got 6 chances to win 4 games.

I dunno, call me wondering aloud why a team can't come back from that.

Oh yeah, please ignore the advice of CuriousBahstunned. She still hasn't realized that, like Ken and the others, their sole purpose is to provide amusement to Yankee fans at their own expense.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by kckid2599
                  Yup,very true, which is why the Lowell Spinners (AA team of Redsox) offered free jerseys to any team willing to change their names from Yankees to Spinners.
                  Only the Sawx could put an ugly spin on something like that. I say let the kids have some glory. If not, they'll go 5 generations w/o knowing that parades can be held in Boston for the local MLB team.
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                    To this day, I still have trouble understanding how a then 12-y.o. kid who have such a bad name back there. It's like he's the Buckey Dent of the Orioles fans.

I'd posted about it once about 2004 in the O's forum, but fans seem to think it absolutely stopped their team's momentum. It was the first game. You've still got 6 chances to win 4 games.

Oh yeah, please ignore the advice of CuriousBahstunned. She still hasn't realized that, like Ken and the others, their sole purpose is to provide amusement to Yankee fans at their own expense.
                    You don't need us to "provide you with amusement", you've got Mariano!
                    Five loses! Might that also be called BLOWN SAVES?

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                      You don't need us to "provide you with amusement", you've got Mariano!
                      Five loses! Might that also be called BLOWN SAVES?
                      Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Ken is now going into the vaunted area where no Beantown dare goes. Similar to my mentioning of "Yaz popped it up". Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Now then, it was a tied game, so no BLSV stat. However, if Beantown had Mariano as long as the Yanks did, you'd have been awesome. However, we don't rely upon scoring 1 run a game against KC. Had KC scored 2 runs, it would've been you guys who would've had a save made against.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Ken is now going into the vaunted area where no Beantown dare goes.
                        Similar to my mentioning of "Yaz popped it up". Hmmmmmmmmmm.
                        First of all, DON'T go there. -
                        Secondly, you selectively failed to mention that . . .
                        Yaz homered his 1st AB to put the Sox on top 1-0.

Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Now then, it was a tied game, so no BLSV stat. However, if Beantown had Mariano as long as the Yanks did, you'd have been awesome. However, we don't rely upon scoring 1 run a game against KC. Had KC scored 2 runs, it would've been you guys who would've had a save made against.
                        Remember, all you need to do is score 1 more run than your opponent, for a win.*

* Just like Toronto did last night! -
                        Last edited by KenFougere; 07-21-2006, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Looks good. Doesn't it?
                          American League East -
                          Boston - - - 58 36 .617 -
                          New York - 55 38 .591 - 2½
                          Toronto - - 53 42 .558 - 5½

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                            American League East -
                            Boston - - - 58 36 .617 -
                            New York - 55 38 .591 - 2½
                            Toronto - - 53 42 .558 - 5½

EHEM! There appear to be two teams missing. I know we're not exactly competative...but ignoring us is just wrong.

Comment

Without reliving the PAIN, horror and anguish.....

When Jeter hit that ball and that little (for the sake of those younger folks I'll call him a "kid") ehem kid stole the ball out of Tony T's glove....it completely changed the moment of the game. Garcia wasn't in a place to see the call and the O's just died on the vine. We weren't the favorties going in...but we had the momentum from the wild card win and after the loss...that was it.

I know when you had Scottie Erickson on your team a while back...and it was thought that satan, er...Jeffrey was going to possibley sign with the O's...Scottie said he hoped if he did...he'd have a chance to face him. So, he could throw at his head.

Even Scottie still held a grudge.

Comment

• Those teams are so far out, they're but a memory . . .

Originally posted by Chelle
                                EHEM! There appear to be two teams missing. I know we're not exactly competative...but ignoring us is just wrong.
                                Sorry about that but, 'out of sight - out of mind' . . .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X