Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you Red Sox fans should become Oakland A's fans because they just swept you, and I forgot something. Here's a photo-op from a camera in Boston when they were swept by the struggling Mariners at Seattle: Beware, it's not so pretty either.

Comment

• Ken, remember that game well. It'll be 2090 before you'll ever get close.

Enjoy being 7.5 games back. Toronto is at your doorstep to overtake you. Hey, if you folks don't appreciate 2nd place, then they do.

Enjoy the golf courses all October.
      So Seattle beat the Yanks one game in 1977. What does that prove?
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Hey, Ken. Guess who we just won 2 out of 3 from?

It's too bad they went on the prowl against Bahstunned.

Enjoy your 2004 DVD. That was just a teaser. I guess those Fenway Franks won't be sold in October ... yet again!

Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
          Well, maybe I can help.
          I found these (pictures) of the
          biggest choke in the history of all competitive sports.
          It's the benchmark of which all future chokes will be compared to . . .
          Now that's one 'choke' record that will never be broken!
          October 21, 2004

Really??!!! That doesn`t look like 1978...

Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it -- it's a home run! A three-run homer for Bucky Dent and the Yankees now lead it by a score of three to two!
          Or perhaps this?

Oct. 25, 1986: The Boston Red Sox are trying to rid themselves of the Curse of the Bambino. They have not won a World Series since trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees after the 1919 season, but it appears the curse is about to end tonight.

ESPN Classic
          Sunday, Oct. 28
          All times Eastern
          11 a.m. - '86 World Series, Game 6: Red Sox @ Mets
          7 p.m. - Battle Lines:
          The 1986 World Series
          Boston is one out away from winning its first Series since 1918, holding a two-run lead with two outs and nobody on base in the 10th inning in Game 6. But the Mets get three consecutive singles to make it 5-4. Bob Stanley relieves and third-base coach Bud Harrelson tells Kevin Mitchell, the runner on third, "He might throw a wild pitch. Be ready." Stanley does, and the game is tied.

Mookie Wilson then hits a routine grounder to first base, but the ball goes under Bill Buckner's glove and into right field as Ray Knight scores to give the Mets an incredible 6-5 victory.

"I can't remember the last time I missed a ball like that," says the sore-legged Buckner, who usually is replaced for defensive purposes by manager John McNamara. "But I'll remember this one." So will all Boston fans.

Right fielder Dwight Evans says, "I don't believe in curses, or ghosts, or magic spells, but I'm beginning to." The Mets will win Game 7 two nights later.
          Or maybe even this?

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2004-10/14732010.jpg

Dramatic Chokes

Boston-3

Yankees-1
          Mariano_Rivera
          Joba Rules
          Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM.
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• You're kidding, right?

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            Really??!!! That doesn`t look like 1978...

Or perhaps this?

Or maybe even this?

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2004-10/14732010.jpg

Dramatic Chokes

Boston-3

Yankees-1
            The fact that you're trying to compare games won by a pop-up, wind blown HR or an fielding error to your ALCS historic collapse, shows your lack of perspective . . .
            Ken Fougère

Comment

• Ken. Perspective? Your team's been getting slapped around a bit lately, haven't they? TB, KC, Seattle. All the Basement Bertha's out there are waiting in line to play you guys. Or would that be the gals out there in Beantown? Heck, I've heard that the girls' softball team in Boston College wants a try.

Anyway, you folks finally won a game today, huh? Gee, how'd that happen?

Oh, some kind words for Bahstunned from the Op-Ed column in Thursday's NY Daily News:

Babe hexes Sox stocks
              The Red Sox Nation was sure that its beloved team had finally exorcised the Curse of the Bambino. In the House That Ruth built, they had danced on our grave after the greatest comeback in history. That was just two years ago.
              Where are you now, ye children of darkness?

Bedeviled, as you sink with nothing but a miracle that could put you in the playoffs even via the wild card, the passport you had to break the Curse in 2004.

I never used to think the Curse got you, just that the Yankees were better. Even Bucky Dent didn't convince me, because we had overcome a 14-game lead in late July 1978.

But today I have to think the Bambino lives. No longer in the ballpark, in Wall Street.

Back when the Red Sox took the Yanks and then the World Series, John Henry, principal owner of the Sox, could buy and sell George Steinbrenner. Henry's hedge funds were running wild with dough.

And Henry had a partner, The New York Times. This parlay, it appeared, could work up in Steinbrenner's face forever. Forget about the Bambino.

That was then. One night this spring, I asked Steinbrenner if John Henry had more money than he did. "He used to," said The Boss.

Now, certain moves began to make sense. Why did they let Johnny Damon go? Before that, Pedro Martinez? How come they allowed the Yankees to get, uncontested, Bobby Abreu?

Had the Sox gone after Abreu, the least that would have happened was that the Yankees would have had to give up top prospects for him. But the Sox did nothing. Why?

I checked the money and discovered that John Henry's hedge funds were in trouble, to say the least. According to BusinessWeek, nine of his 11 funds were south and his company had shed $1 billion since October 2004, just after the Red Sox won the World Series.

Had the Curse of the Bambino moved to the trading floor, asked Business Week?

Every Yankee fan knows the answer. The Babe would get these guys; he certainly wouldn't sit back and allow the Sox to think they had won this thing square.

The baseball gods had properly given him an asterisk against Roger Maris, a Yankee yet, whose 61 homers required eight more games did than his 60. But what was that, next to the Sox needing a wild card?

The Curse lives, ye children of darkness. Get used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                Ken. Perspective? Your team's been getting slapped around a bit lately, haven't they? TB, KC, Seattle. All the Basement Bertha's out there are waiting in line to play you guys. Or would that be the gals out there in Beantown? Heck, I've heard that the girls' softball team in Boston College wants a try.

Anyway, you folks finally won a game today, huh? Gee, how'd that happen?

Oh, some kind words for Bahstunned from the Op-Ed column in Thursday's NY Daily News:

Babe hexes Sox stocks
                Wow, it seems that the failure to resign Johnny Damon is oddly familiar to the trading of Babe Ruth... The owner needs cash so he lets the player go. And we all know what happens next don`t we Ken

Comment

The fact that you're trying to compare games won by a pop-up, wind blown HR or an fielding error to your ALCS historic collapse, shows your lack of perspective . . .
                  Whats Perspective?

Besides, A pitcher that strikes out a batter doesn`t have to worry about such things.

Comment

So Seattle beat the Yanks one game in 1977. What does that prove?
                    They were swept by the last-place Mariners, although in only two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                      Whats Perspective?

Besides, A pitcher that strikes out a batter doesn`t have to worry about such things.
                      Again, you're saying that one play, error or pitch within one game is a bigger choke than the Yankees 2004 implosion?
                      Being up 3 games to 0 in the ALCS, a team who can't win 1 more game out of 4 remaining would, in most peoples minds,
                      (which obviously excludes New Yorkers ) be considered the choke that'll never be equaled again.
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by Bukanier
                        They were swept by the last-place Mariners, although in only two games.
                        Yeah, but in 2005, we also go swept by KC in 4 games at their house, which I doubt anybody would dig up 30 years from now. Losing a 2-gamer to Seattle in 1977 doesn't worry me too much. I think the KC loss was much worse.

Then there's the matter of the pitiful losses to Tampa Bay, preventing us from humiliating Beantown as they so rightfully deserved. Now both KC & TB have OWNED Boston!

Someone please bronze Li'l Ken's 2004 DVD collection. He and his own will be adoring it for generations to come. Hey, Ken, 2090 ain't that far away, ya know!

Hiya, Ken!

See! The Tigers *REALLY* love Li'l Ken:

Mattingly
                        Yankee fan & proud of it!
                        Last edited by Mattingly; 09-01-2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but in 2005, we also go swept by KC in 4 games at their house, which I doubt anybody would dig up 30 years from now. Losing a 2-gamer to Seattle in 1977 doesn't worry me too much. I think the KC loss was much worse.

Someone please bronze Ken's 2004 DVD collection. He and his own will be adoring it for generations to come. Hey, Ken, 2090 ain't that far away, ya know!

Hiya, Ken!
                          2090? Whens that, when we pass the Yankee's for most world series titles? Ok, I didn't really have that much to say, but I figured this thread would be a good place for...

Post 1,000

Comment

Again, you're saying that one play, error or pitch within one game is a bigger choke than the Yankees 2004 implosion?
                            Being up 3 games to 0 in the ALCS, a team who can't win 1 more game out of 4 remaining would, in most peoples minds,
                            (which obviously excludes New Yorkers ) be considered the choke that'll never be equaled again.
                            Well if you think about it from another angle the Yankees had the odds against them. I mean, what are the odds of them crushing Boston and extending their futility for 87+ years. Amazing clutch performance by them to even take the first 3 games and amazing emblem of futility by Boston for taking 86 years to finally pull together a clutch performance.

Comment

• If Boston wins the WS once every 86 years and the Yankees fail to win another one throughout history (a mathematical impossibilty by the way, the Babe simply won`t allow it) then Boston wil finally tie New York in 3,726 and they will pass them in 3,812. GL Boston for the Curse has Returned with Vengeance.

Comment

• W h a t ?

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                                Well if you think about it from another angle the Yankees had the odds against them. I mean, what are the odds of them crushing Boston and extending their futility for 87+ years.
                                Amazing "clutch" performance by NY to even take the first 3 games and amazing emblem of futility by Boston for taking 86 years to finally pull together a clutch performance.
                                I have been a member of Baseball-Fever for eight years or so. In that time I've heard some (I'll be nice) 'interesting' viewpoints from Yankee fans. But this one has to be the all-time 'head-shaker'!
                                CLUTCH?

Matt wouldn't even say that!
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X