Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Re: Convenient Rainout

    Originally posted by Mattingly

    Fri, 7/25: Mussina v Martinez
    Sat, 7/26: Weaver v Burkett
    Sun, 7/27: Pettitte v Lowe
    We're getting Weaver on the 26th? You're not just saying that to make my day, are you? _ _ _
    Ken Fougère

    Comment


    • I think I've heard this from Boston fans before. I think you may need to check with some of the local news sites or someone living here, since it was *pouring* down here, and I mean *hard*.
      like i said earlier, but it prolly got lost, I think he was joking.

      I was watching when he said that. He was just trying to get the fans riled up a bit, I seriously doubt he actually meant it.
      "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
      -Scott Stossel

      Comment


      • from redsox.com:

        "Weekend matchups: With the Yankees-Blue Jays game rained out Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium, there will be no Pedro Martinez-Mike Mussina rematch Friday night at Fenway Park.

        Instead, the Yankees will go with David Wells Friday, Mussina on Saturday and Jeff Weaver in the Sunday finale. The Sox will counter with Martinez, John Burkett and Derek Lowe. "

        Dunno who's right, but those are the people I heard. looks like:

        yankpitcher/soxpitcher (favorite to get win)
        __________________________________________
        Wells/Pedro (pedro)
        Mussina/Burkett (red sox bullpen :P)
        Weaver/Lowe (Lowe)

        I'm feeling good about our chances here
        "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
        -Scott Stossel

        Comment


        • go cards!
          International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

          "The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
          Dizzy Dean.


          9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

          19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Biggerin
            from redsox.com:

            "Weekend matchups: With the Yankees-Blue Jays game rained out Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium, there will be no Pedro Martinez-Mike Mussina rematch Friday night at Fenway Park.

            Instead, the Yankees will go with David Wells Friday, Mussina on Saturday and Jeff Weaver in the Sunday finale. The Sox will counter with Martinez, John Burkett and Derek Lowe. "

            Dunno who's right, but those are the people I heard. looks like:

            yankpitcher/soxpitcher (favorite to get win)
            __________________________________________
            Wells/Pedro (pedro)
            Mussina/Burkett (red sox bullpen :P)
            Weaver/Lowe (Lowe)

            I'm feeling good about our chances here
            Burkett still scares me. I know his record looks good but... I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. ...
            Ken Fougère

            Comment


            • Biggerin, I see you guys have gone bargain hunting. It's productivity like that which we could use. However, some of the positions we already have filled. While the original question (which you'd quoted) was about any possible inaccuracies in which ESPN had quoted in Boston's payroll (such as full salaries of players you're only partially responsible for financially), I'll go with the flow.

              Now, Lyon used to be your effective "closer" even when the "committee" thing was in use. I've never compared, but why would he be less useful than Sauerbeck?

              Millar plays 1B, but does have an almost .300 BA, and is almost .900 OPS. We obviously couldn't use him, but then again, had Thome signed on with you, then you'd be rooting (and paying dearly) otherwise.

              OK, now Mueller (names too similar) seems better offensively. I'm curious why you're saying Millar at 1B is the reason the BoSox offense is stronger, while Mueller at 3B has a higher BA and OPS. Does Mueller get more clutch hits? His order in the lineup? Anyway, if you'd consider taking Ventura, we'll throw in Todd Zeile and pay his salary, plus shipping costs. I'll even pack his bags personally.

              For Weaver, it's a risk, since last time, he didn't bring his good stuff. The man's got no curve, as it's a flat and slow meatball without movement. If he can stick to the fastball, he may be more effective. He's paid $4m this season, which jumps to $6m in 2004, and $9m in 2005, so he'd better come up big and stop overthinking.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Biggerin
                like i said earlier, but it prolly got lost, I think he was joking.

                I was watching when he said that. He was just trying to get the fans riled up a bit, I seriously doubt he actually meant it.
                Probably my overreaction. Like one of those "what the heck is he talking about" things that just get typed out. No biggie.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Biggerin
                  yankpitcher/soxpitcher (favorite to get win)
                  __________________________________________
                  Wells/Pedro (pedro)
                  Mussina/Burkett (red sox bullpen :P)
                  Weaver/Lowe (Lowe)

                  I'm feeling good about our chances here
                  Someone with sanity has *got* to get Weaver and Burkett together. Remember when El Duque was coming off the DL, and so was Pedro, so they faced each other? Same here.

                  If Boomer starts, he'd *really* need to be on his game, since giving up 2 runs over 7 innings could still be fatal. Now if the Yanks start taking lots of pitches, that could help, but I wasn't expecting this much.

                  Mussina should be on his game, since he did nicely the last time. He almost had a perfecto at Fenway (would've made Coney the only pitcher on both sides of a perfecto), so I think he'll do well. At least put him against Lowe.

                  Weaver against Burkett, I can deal with. My Maalox for your Alka-Seltzer sounds OK.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • Re: Re: Re: Convenient Rainout

                    Originally posted by KenFougere
                    We're getting Weaver on the 26th? You're not just saying that to make my day, are you? _ _ _
                    Not really. Just copied from sportsline.com. Either case, I don't believe anything until Thursday when both managers are asked who's pitching. Someone could be given 3 days' rest, someone else may be held back a game. Who knows?
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment


                    • Hi guys! We just flew in from Camden to get our pride hurt! Would you mind if we won a couple games while we're here?
                      http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by J W
                        Hi guys! We just flew in from Camden to get our pride hurt! Would you mind if we won a couple games while we're here?
                        Hope not. You've already had your winning session with Toronto, Anaheim, Seattle and Texas. I say that's enough.

                        I hope that you guys' hot streak is over.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • I say millar because of his clubhouse personality, rather than his actual stats. I feel he's a major reason that people like mueller and nixon and the rest of the team are hitting so well. He's kind of the 2003 version of carlos baerga.

                          He's out there with a great attitude every day, loosening up the players. This is also likely why they've been so resiliant all season long. He won't let them give up.

                          Anyway, I'd rather see lowe go vs mussina and burkett go vs weaver myself. The matches are more even, but I still think the sox would have the advantage (why waste lowe on weaver?) Plus, even if burkett beats mussina, he still won't get any respect for it. He's been like 6-1 over his last few decisions, but still everyone (including myself) is afraid of when he starts.
                          "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                          -Scott Stossel

                          Comment


                          • NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                            the strangers are on tv
                            must sheild eyes
                            must fight
                            International League Fourm and Pacific Coast League Fourm Triple A Baseball

                            "The dumber a pitcher is, the better. When he gets smart and begins to experiment with a lot of different pitches, he's in trouble. All I ever had was a fastball, a curve and a changeup and I did pretty good."
                            Dizzy Dean.


                            9 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

                            19261931193419421944 1946196419671982

                            Comment


                            • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

                              Please ignore my lack of "leet skeelz" in the form of drawin a graph, but here's a graph of the games both the sox and the yankees have won so far this season. the lines are kind of each team's pace, based on peaks and valleys and stuff. (been a while since I've been in any stat classes, so I forget the word I'm thinking of)

                              Of course, the lines are just visual atm, it's not mathematically accurate, but I can tell by looking at it, that the end result for the lines would be about right (just not necessarily before 162 games, but highly likely)



                              This one is just my guess on what's going to happen:



                              based on the dots for the yankees, they're due for another drop-off, so I calculated them into the graph on my projection.

                              the line on the original graph for the yankees assumes two peaks and one valley, which is why that one projects a higher end result. I feel that another valley is on the way, which lowers the end result by a few games. I figured in three peaks and two valleys for the yankees knowing thir penchant for kicking it into gear near the end of the season (otherwise, i woulda had you mid-valley at the end of the year) This also takes into account both of our august scheduals, which are relatively tough.

                              you'll notice that the sox have been pretty consistant. When counting the games up, in groups of 9, the sox had 5 for 9 almost every time, with the occasional 8 for 9 and 3 for 9. the yankees had a lot of 7 for 9's and 3 for 9's, rarely anything in between.
                              "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                              -Scott Stossel

                              Comment


                              • Re: Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

                                Originally posted by Biggerin
                                Please ignore my lack of "leet skeelz" in the form of drawin a graph, but here's a graph of the games both the sox and the yankees have won so far this season. the lines are kind of each team's pace, based on peaks and valleys and stuff. (been a while since I've been in any stat classes, so I forget the word I'm thinking of)

                                Of course, the lines are just visual atm, it's not mathematically accurate, but I can tell by looking at it, that the end result for the lines would be about right (just not necessarily before 162 games, but highly likely)



                                This one is just my guess on what's going to happen:



                                based on the dots for the yankees, they're due for another drop-off, so I calculated them into the graph on my projection.

                                the line on the original graph for the yankees assumes two peaks and one valley, which is why that one projects a higher end result. I feel that another valley is on the way, which lowers the end result by a few games. I figured in three peaks and two valleys for the yankees knowing thir penchant for kicking it into gear near the end of the season (otherwise, i woulda had you mid-valley at the end of the year) This also takes into account both of our august scheduals, which are relatively tough.

                                you'll notice that the sox have been pretty consistant. When counting the games up, in groups of 9, the sox had 5 for 9 almost every time, with the occasional 8 for 9 and 3 for 9. the yankees had a lot of 7 for 9's and 3 for 9's, rarely anything in between.
                                Code:
                                [B][I][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]
                                Nice job, biggerin. The graphs were great.
                                I just hope you're as good at telling the future as you are with graphs . . . [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B] ;) . . .  :rolleyes:
                                Ken Fougère

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X