Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at it this way, at least the Cardinals got further than the Yankees two years in a row. Just because your team has the highest payroll doesn't guarantee a World Series victory. Look at players' injuries, temperment, poor management, and other anomalies. It can be said with Renteria last year with the Red Sox. I thought he would provide more pop and speed to the team, but his 30 errors, being constantly booed and a poor year altogether ruined his chances in Beantown.

Now look at Chuck Knoblauch with the Yankees. His time at Minnesota provided to be enough to replace Mariano Duncan. Then he was stricken with Steve Blass disease, or "The Yips." His constant throwing errors were plentiful, and one hit a sportscaster's mother in the mouth, but she was okay. His time with the Yankees proved to be a huge failure, and eventually Chuck was moved from second base to left field. He eventually retired after 2002.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
      If history holds true, Boston won't win it again for 86 years. The facts speak for themselves.

Bucky wore #20; Boone wore #19; Judas Demon wears #18.

Any questions?

Oh yeah, it's all 1's, baby.

11 GB

Magic Number = 1

Nice knowing ya!

See, you're forgetting that we won FIVE before your Yankees won ONE. So, we should expect FOUR more before you expect ONE more.

Good luck facing Johan Santana in the first round of the playoffs!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik Bedard
        History lesson time!

OK, in 1903, who won the World Series? That's right, the Boston Red Sox! (then known as the Pilgrims)

So, nine years later, who won the World Series again? That's right, the Red Sox!

Just two years later, who won again? And again the next year? And then again two years after that? You guessed it - the Red Sox!

So, if history holds true, we should be expecting a WS championsip in 2013, followed by 2016, 2017, and 2019. The Yankees must wait until 2023, if history holds true.
        This is the 10th anneversiary of the beginning of the Torre era. We should win in '06, '08, '09 and '10
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Great season!
          Congratulations to the 2006 American East Champs

The New York Yankees
          Last edited by KenFougere; 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM.
          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
            Congratulations to the 2006 American East Champs

The New York Yankees

Thanks Ken it's been a great season.

Now on to satiate George.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Awwwwwwwwwww, Ken. You shouldn't have. Hey, you even came properly attired, which is very suitable (pinstriped, of course) for the occasion. Black tie, perhaps?

Anyway, I must return the favor:

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
              This is the 10th anneversiary of the beginning of the Torre era. We should win in '06, '08, '09 and '10
              Strangely, another NYC team is coming off 18 years w/o a playoff berth. Theirs was for the playoffs, and ours was winning the WS in '96.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Which other NYC team could that be?

Can't be the Knicks, everyone knows what happened to them last year, the Giants made it in 2000, the Jets didn't, the Mets were in the WS in 2000, the Rangers couldn't be it, nor could the Islanders... who is it, then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                  Which other NYC team could that be?

Can't be the Knicks, everyone knows what happened to them last year, the Giants made it in 2000, the Jets didn't, the Mets were in the WS in 2000, the Rangers couldn't be it, nor could the Islanders... who is it, then?
                  I must've been believing the NYC media too much. The Mets got to the playoffs in 1988, but some reporters forgot to mention 2000, which should've been blatantly obvious to all of us.

Anyway, so long as no repeat every "x" number of years is OK, I'm fine. Unless you count once every 86 years, of course.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. This Sawx season is surely a bust! GO TORONTO!
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I dont really care if we come in 5th anymore.

Comment

I must've been believing the NYC media too much. The Mets got to the playoffs in 1988, but some reporters forgot to mention 2000, which should've been blatantly obvious to all of us.

Anyway, so long as no repeat every "x" number of years is OK, I'm fine. Unless you count once every 86 years, of course.

While most of the New York baseball scribblers belong to the "I may be wrong but I'm never uncertain" school of journalism, I believe that most of the references to 1988 contained the phrase, "the last time the Mets won the Division title." At least I hope so.
                      After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

• You take a person out of New York but you can't take the 'New York' out of a person

Originally posted by Mattingly

There's that famous humility that New Yorkers are so well known for . . .
                        So gracious especially in victory.
                        Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
                          I dont really care if we come in 5th anymore.
                          Man, you people gotta wake up. Ken with the Yankee av (sans the bulletholes), you giving up. C'mon, it's no fun getting on you guys' & gals' cases when you don't fight back.

One final attempt to see if there's any life left in Chowdaville:

One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Eighteen!

Originally posted by KenFougere
                          There's that famous humility that New Yorkers are so well known for . . .
                          So gracious especially in victory.
                          Don't be silly, Ken. We lost yesterday. What are you talking about?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, 2nd fiddle or 3rd fiddle this season? Inquiring Noo Yawkas (Bronx faction) want to know.

Comment

• Actually that sentiment has been more of the Yankees forte lately

Comment

• Originally posted by The Real McCoy
                              While most of the New York baseball scribblers belong to the "I may be wrong but I'm never uncertain" school of journalism, I believe that most of the references to 1988 contained the phrase, "the last time the Mets won the Division title." At least I hope so.
                              Yeah, just checked and that must've been it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_2000.shtml

The Mets won the WC in 2000, as the Braves and Cards won their divisions, were 1 game better, and the Giants were 3 games better.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_1988.shtml

In 1988, the 100-win Mets were 2nd only to the 104-win A's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1988.shtml

Comment

• Well youve been rooting for Boston for about 3 days now!
                                Thats a mighty nice ring.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X