Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hahaha, no, the biggest choke job is DEFINATELY being up 3 GAMES TO NONE, one inning away from the world series, with the "best postseason closer" of all time on the mound....AND NOT MAKING IT!! Thats still definately the biggest choke, not just in baseballl, but all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
      Hahaha, no, the biggest choke job is DEFINATELY being up 3 GAMES TO NONE, one inning away from the world series, with the "best postseason closer" of all time on the mound....AND NOT MAKING IT!! Thats still definately the biggest choke, not just in baseballl, but all of sports.
      How can losing 4 consecutive games EVER compare to '78?
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson

You're right,it doesnt.

Comment

Because the Yankees were 1 out away, and even then could still lose 3 games and still win! You know what the odds were that the Yanks would win in that situation? Since you like stats so much RH, here's some interesting ones:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...n-probability/
          Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 09-30-2006, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kckid2599
            Because the Yankees were 1 out away, and even then could still lose 3 games and still win! You know what the odds were that the Yanks would win in that situation? Since you like stats so much RH, here's some interesting ones:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...n-probability/
            Eh, YYYYAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNN

To imitate Ken. I really did yawn at that Win Probability charts are overrated. The Yankees were incredibly unlucky to lose 3 consecutive games that close. Now losing that big of a lead in the standings, that takes skill. :gt :gt

Unfortuately for me that was the second series I ever saw as a baseball fan and the first ever complete series. I can even remember knowing that it was over after the Damon grand slam.

Comment

To imitate Ken. I really did yawn at that Win Probability charts are overrated. The Yankees were incredibly unlucky to lose 3 consecutive games that close. Now losing that big of a lead in the standings, that takes skill. :gt :gt

Unfortuately for me that was the second series I ever saw as a baseball fan and the first ever complete series. I can even remember knowing that it was over after the Damon grand slam.
              Unlucky? I can still here Mo and A-Rod choking now!

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
                Unlucky? I can still here Mo and A-Rod choking now!
                Small sample size and a lot of 2-1 run games

Comment

• Well then i guess its always just luck in the playoffs then right? Why watch?

Comment

• And as i remember it... Game 7 wasnt a 2-1 run game now was it?

Comment

• What are your first memories of the rivalry? I`m kind of curious about that. Mine obviously wasn`t very sweet but what about yours?

PS: In case you haven`t realized by now, my first memory of the rivalry was the 2004 ALCS which wasn`t a pretty sight.

Comment

• Yeah, i read that in an earlier post.

I'd have to say that my first memory was the 99 ALCS, first game being the Clemens - Pedro game. Pedro was incredible, Clemens not so good. But then the Yanks took the next two games, so it didnt matter much. So i guess my first memory wasnt very good either. Although another that sticks in my head was that same matchup in the regular season in 2000. Nixon hit a 2-run shot in the 9th and the sox won 2-0. Pretty much made Nixon my favorite player since then.(although its probably a tie between him and Nomar)

Comment

To imitate Ken. I really did yawn at that Win Probability charts are overrated. The Yankees were incredibly unlucky to lose 3 consecutive games that close.
                          Now losing that big of a lead in the standings, that takes skill. :gt :gt

Unfortunately for me that was the second series I ever saw as a baseball fan and the first ever complete series. I can even remember knowing that it was over after the Damon grand slam.
                          What "big lead" are you referring to?
                          Ken Fougère

Comment

Hey, hey, that was me. If you're gonna copy me, you gotta give me some credit!

Anyway, my first memories of being a Red Sox fan are from long ago, around April of 1998. My first memory of the rivalry... hmm, well, pretty unclear. I guess, living in Toronto, Boston and now Baltimore, I've always hated the Yankees.

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere
                              What "big lead" are you referring to?
                              14 games seems sizeable or was it 16... My memory must be going at the ripe old age of 12.

Comment

14 games seems sizeable or was it 16... My memory must be going at the ripe old age of 12.
                                You are 12?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X