Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mantle retired, free agency was new, and...

    Originally posted by Murderer's Row
    Pretty darn poor. Are you sure you want me to post another decade? How about you pick it and I'll post it. O.K.?
    How about the '90s? Everyone remember's those.
    Gotcha! LOL,! No, Murderer's Row, the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want to see a litany of the Yanks' dominance again. I was a Brooklyn fan until they slunk to the left coast, and was a fan of the game, not a team, until I embraced the hapless Cubs. :noidea The rival years between NYC's three teams is now just a memory, but a fond one. The main reason I posted the darkest decade in the Bronx was because I was actively pursuing a course that I hoped would lead me to a pro contract during those years. As much as I hate the Yankees, I would have given anything to make the show, even in pinstirpes, but advancing age and a glaring lack of talent helped me to see it wasn't going to happen in this kid's lifetime. As I bounced around and out of ball, I had the good fortune of meeting a fine young man who became an everyday Yankee outfielder that was with some of the crappiest teams ever to play in front of the fewest ever in the house that Ruth built. He was really something special ( All-Star in '69 &'70) and persevered, played an entire season ('75) without committing an error, hit around .275 with some pop from both sides, stole a boatload of bases, and just quietly kept playing as well as he could for a long, long time. He stuck around by exhibiting a work ethic beyond reproach, and helped the NYY team win the rings in '77 &'78. Roy White is an unsung hero if there ever was one, and I wish there were more guys like him in today's game. Too bad he wasn't a Cub or Red Sox player, they might have won a WS with him on their roster.
    Last edited by trosmok; 10-13-2006, 12:28 PM.
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

    Comment


    • Poor little Amy.....

      Originally posted by EvanAparra
      ...
      Its been a while, my cursed Yankee friend...
      It's been so long, that reporters were trolling around the folks on the street in Manhattan shortly after the Tigers game, and they came across a little blond girl near Times Square that sobbed: "Just once in my life I want to see the Yankees win a World Series! Just once! Is that asking too much?" Her name was Amy and she will turn six in two weeks.
      Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

      Comment


      • Originally posted by EvanAparra
        I think we ALL know how much winning the division means. Squat. Where are the yankees now?

        Where were the yankees last year?

        What about 04?

        03?

        02?

        01?

        Its been a while, my cursed Yankee friend... Ah Chris...I cant wait for next year, you looked good in Red.
        Do you think? As far as I am concerned Red is not really my colour.

        BTW why do you stop at 2001? I would go on until 1996 at least...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by trosmok
          Gotcha! LOL,! No, Murderer's Row, the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want to see a litany of the Yanks' dominance again. I was a Brooklyn fan until they slunk to the left coast, and was a fan of the game, not a team, until I embraced the hapless Cubs. :noidea The rival years between NYC's three teams is now just a memory, but a fond one. The main reason I posted the darkest decade in the Bronx was because I was actively pursuing a course that I hoped would lead me to a pro contract during those years. As much as I hate the Yankees, I would have given anything to make the show, even in pinstirpes, but advancing age and a glaring lack of talent helped me to see it wasn't going to happen in this kid's lifetime. As I bounced around and out of ball, I had the good fortune of meeting a fine young man who became an everyday Yankee outfielder that was with some of the crappiest teams ever to play in front of the fewest ever in the house that Ruth built. He was really something special ( All-Star in '69 &'70) and persevered, played an entire season ('75) without committing an error, hit around .275 with some pop from both sides, stole a boatload of bases, and just quietly kept playing as well as he could for a long, long time. He stuck around by exhibiting a work ethic beyond reproach, and helped the NYY team win the rings in '77 &'78. Roy White is an unsung hero if there ever was one, and I wish there were more guys like him in today's game. Too bad he wasn't a Cub or Red Sox player, they might have won a WS with him on their roster.
          Golly! A real baseball player! And you knew Roy White! Golly! I always liked Roy!

          Just a little healthy torment.

          1922 61-93, last place in the American League, 33 games back of the New York Yankees

          1923 61-91, last place in the American League, 37 games back of the New York Yankees

          1925 47-105, last place in the AL, 49-1/2 games back of the Washington Senators

          1926 46-107, last place in the American League, 44-1/2 games back of the New York Yankees

          1927 51-103, last place in the American League, 59 games back of the New York Yankees

          1928 57-96, last place in the American League, 43-1/2 games back of the New York Yankees

          1929 58-96, last place in the American League, 48 games back of the Philadelphia Athletics

          1930 52-102, last place in the American League, 50 games back of the Philadelphia Athletics

          1932 43-111, last place in the American League, 64 games back of the New York Yankees

          1992 73-89, last in the AL East, 23 games back of the Toronto Blue Jays

          I hope this wasn't to long but I thought I'd post every time the Red Sox finished last. Remember, there were lots of times they finished eighth or so but not last. Is this clear everyone?

          Comment


          • Whew... this kind of sounds like 1912 when the Yankees finished 55 games back of the 1st place Sox.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by EvanAparra
              Whew... this kind of sounds like 1912 when the Yankees finished 55 games back of the 1st place Sox.
              Any other years? Or are you drowning in a pit of logic? I pointed out that there were lots of times the Red Sox didn't finish last but had bad years. I didn't want to post that because it was much to long. Lets also remember that the Yankees have finished first plenty of times and this would be to long.

              Hi Evan

              Comment


              • It really doesn't matter how often the Yanks win, whan thery don't it's always what happened to the Yanks.

                I recall my dad a Yankee fan telling me a story from years ago. Going to the work place and a number of co-workers teasing him, "hey what happened, what happened to your Yankees." He told me this was in 1954 after the Yanks had won 5 consecutive World Series and finished second with 103 wins to Clevelands 111 wins.

                It just comes with the territory if your a Yankee fan.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                  BTW why do you stop at 2001? I would go on until 1996 at least...
                  Because 2001 was the end of an era in which this ballclub ever subscribed to the idea that a TEAM wins championships, not a compilation of the highest priced "stars" on the market every year. Consequently, just as TEAMS won from 96-01, TEAMS have won from 02-05 and will again in 06. What's great is that every year, the Yankees are more and more stacked, but lose more and more humiliatingly. There's my two cents

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Murderer's Row
                    Any other years? Or are you drowning in a pit of logic? I pointed out that there were lots of times the Red Sox didn't finish last but had bad years. I didn't want to post that because it was much to long. Lets also remember that the Yankees have finished first plenty of times and this would be to long.

                    Hi Evan
                    Take a look at the times the yankees almost finished last or did finish last as well. not as short as you might like to think.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                      Do you think? As far as I am concerned Red is not really my colour.

                      BTW why do you stop at 2001? I would go on until 1996 at least...
                      I like to stop every Millenia

                      Comment


                      • Yankee fans - YOUR 00s NY Yankees! Better known as the 90s Braves!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by trosmok
                          Roy White is an unsung hero if there ever was one, and I wish there were more guys like him in today's game. Too bad he wasn't a Cub or Red Sox player, they might have won a WS with him on their roster.
                          Roy overlooked, as a Yankee fan one of my favorites in those years, lots of big hits, tough hitter in the clutch.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by maximum jack
                            Yeah Biscuit, you guys really represented the East well this year. You guys are turning into the Buffalo Bills of MLB-- no wait, that's not right those BBs actually made it to the championship game!
                            Big talk for a guy backing a team that takes longer to come around than Halley's Comet.
                            You shouldn't be talking about the past, you have no ammo.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                              Big talk for a guy backing a team that takes longer to come around than Halley's Comet.
                              You shouldn't be talking about the past, you have no ammo.
                              I don't think he's here to talk about the past.

                              Also, the Yankees list Evan, however long, still can't match the pure futility of the poor Beantowners! And let's not forget the many times they blew the World Series. Not the playoffs, so no Bucky Dent, but also if you match that against the Yankees no 2004.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by trosmok
                                It's been so long, that reporters were trolling around the folks on the street in Manhattan shortly after the Tigers game, and they came across a little blond girl near Times Square that sobbed: "Just once in my life I want to see the Yankees win a World Series! Just once! Is that asking too much?" Her name was Amy and she will turn six in two weeks.
                                If there's any cosmic justice, she'll wait 80 years...
                                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X