This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KenFougere
    I can't figure your criteria on what constitutes a 'choke'?
    In 1967, the Red Sox odds were 100-1 to win the pennant. It took Yaz's 7 for 8 in the final two games of the season to beat out 3 other teams. To this day, 1967 is regarded as the Impossible Dream year. Going from last to first in 1 year. And they took Bob Gibson and his Cardinals to 7 games. . . .
    In 1975, which is arguably one of the most exiting World Series in baseball history, we took the 'Big Red Machine' to 7 games also . . .
    And then what happened in Game 7? Same as in 1946. The Boston Strangler choked up on Beantown, 3 times, each about 20 years apart.

*gurgle-gurgle*

Originally posted by Solair Wright
    The Bronx Bombers lost four in a row in the 2004 ALCS, and that's as worse of a choke in my opinion. May I show what happened when the Yankees were SUPPOSED to sweep the Red Sox?

David Ortíz showed the Yankees who's boss in dramatic fashion. I don't care but losing four games in a row, after getting the first three wins in a series, is a dramatic choke in my opinion.

Edit: I know that's from the 2004 Division Series, but it's a point that the Yankees collapsed in unbelivable fashion.
    The 1986 Red Sox were 1 strike away from winning the WS several times. They couldn't get it done. Calvin Schiraldi is the only pitcher to lose both Games 6 & 7 of a WS.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. Ain't that a pity.

CHOKE!
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Psst!

Yo! Cashman......keep it on the down low. I'll trade you Ken Phelps, Rich McKinney and Jeff Weaver back, for Sheff and a bucket of mud. I know, I know, that's like three retreads for two buckets of mud, but it is the best you're gonna get for that head case. (Overheard in a luxury suite during last night's WS telecast.)
      Last edited by trosmok; 10-27-2006, 09:12 AM.
      Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

• Dear Beantowners: the 2nd phase of the ol' routine arrives this weekend. Please set your clock back one hour.

Spring forward ... fall back (at the end of every October, as always).

This has been a public service announcement from your not-so-friendly Evil Yankee fan.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
          Dear Beantowners: the 2nd phase of the ol' routine arrives this weekend. Please set your clock back one hour.

Spring forward ... fall back (at the end of every October, as always).

This has been a public service announcement from your not-so-friendly Evil Yankee fan.
          Aw, the only time when baseball season gets farther away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
            Aw, the only time when baseball season gets farther away.
            When the clock strikes at 2:00am, it will then be pushed back to 1:00am. It will be the Twilight Zone. One narrated by Rod Serling, and one in which them thar Beantowners don't win for 86 years. 2090 is just over the corner, folks. It's only a few days (or daylight savings times years) away.

Sleep tight, little one. You'll only be Rip Van Winkle at Sleepy Hollow by the time that wonderful day does come. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, the 2007 Red Sawx will surely be a bust!

Just think, this is what you look like now:

Last edited by Mattingly; 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

When the clock strikes at 2:00am, it will then be pushed back to 1:00am. It will be the Twilight Zone. One narrated by Rod Serling, and one in which them thar Beantowners don't win for 86 years. 2090 is just over the corner, folks. It's only a few days (or daylight savings times years) away.

Sleep tight, little one. You'll only be Rip Van Winkle at Sleepy Hollow by the time that wonderful day does come. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, the 2007 Red Sawx will surely be a bust!

I'm Rip Van Winkle? I'm not the one bowing down to King George longgg after his reign is over.
              Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 10-27-2006, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
                I'm Rip Van Winkle? I'm not the one bowing down to King George longgg after his reign is over.
                Please remember the following:
                • you are a mere Beantowner;
                • you are therefore unworthy of serious consideration for quality mental thoughts;
                • your only purpose in life is for the mere amusement of Yankee fans;
                • you shall always bow down to the Mighty Yankee fans;
                • The Reign of Terror that King George wields will live on for years after he's gone, much like the one put on by a famous LHP who'd played on the 1918 Beantown team.

Now please try to relax while I slip this navy blue cap on your head.

Comment

• you are therefore incapable of quality mental thoughts;
                  • The Reign of Terror that King George wields will live on for years after he's gone, much like the one put on by a famous LHP who'd played on the 1918 Beantown team.

Have you been living under a rock since this decade started? Whell, Y2K never happend, so it's safe to come out. Here's how things work now-a-days:
                  • you are a mere Yankee Fan;
                  • you are therefore unworthy of serious consideration for quality mental thoughts, besides the following phrases:"1918!"(which is now outdated) and "26 championships"!(Also outdated) ;
                  • your only purpose in life is to watch your team be a disappointment in the play-offs;
                  • you shall always bow down to the Mighty Tiger/Marlins/D-backs/Red Sox fans ;
                  • You must watch The curse of A-rod effect the play-off run of future Yankee teams long after The "Multi-Million Doller Baby" is gone.

But I don't want to be a Padre's fan!

Comment

Just think, this is what you look like now:

My hair may be that long, but my beard isn't that gray yet..only about 75%...
                    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• you are therefore unworthy of serious consideration for quality mental thoughts;

You mean a cap like this...?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• We will never surrender to King George, and even as a Cardinals fans, you should lay off the Red Sox. If you don't, I'll lock all you Pinstripers into this car:

Curse of the Bambino? What's that? 2004 was the end. If everything goes right the Yankees will win in 2086, finally getting #27 after all these years of losing. The curse has reversed...

Comment

• St. Louis Cardinals' fans: more than 3 million satisfied fans and counting. Jaret Wright's contract: $3 million contract per year. He has been depleted by injuries and horrible pitching and counting in the past, and especially choking during Game 4 of the 2006 ALDS. Big investment in a promsing pitcher goes to waste. Hey Yankees, here's your "can't miss player" right here:

Let's see him go against...JV!

Oh wait, Yankees aren't satisfied, are they? I'll just make them miss a tag on purpose, so it's now The Tag in 2004.

Comment

• Hey, Ken. I hear it's your day. Not your year, but your day.

The Great Pumpkin may just pass by at midnight!

It's too bad that you'll have to wait until 2090 to see it. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Comment

• 2090? Yeah right, you Yankees may never see #27 until 2086. I thought the Red Sox and Yankees call a ceasefire after the postseason, guess I was wrong. Anyway, the Yankees bore me with their constant losing in the postseason, bring someone else up to the plate for us that can fight back (Tigers or A's).

Comment

• Originally posted by Solair Wright
                                2090? Yeah right, you Yankees may never see #27 until 2086. I thought the Red Sox and Yankees call a ceasefire after the postseason, guess I was wrong. Anyway, the Yankees bore me with their constant losing in the postseason, bring someone else up to the plate for us that can fight back (Tigers or A's).
                                Can't wait to see how they blow their shot at #27 next year...

And speaking of Halloween...nah, it's how he ALWAYS looks to us...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X