Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did this thread become the Rico Petrocelli Fan Club? And finishing third is still nothing to brag about. At least we reached the playoffs. If the positions were reversed, you would be warbling a different tune.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murderer's Row
      How did this thread become the Rico Petrocelli Fan Club? And finishing third is still nothing to brag about. At least we reached the playoffs. If the positions were reversed, you would be warbling a different tune.
      So would you MR, so would you.
      "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

• Originally posted by maximum jack
        Yeah Biscuit, you guys really represented the East well this year. You guys are turning into the Buffalo Bills of MLB-- no wait, that's not right those BBs actually made it to the championship game!
        The Jills--oops--Bills made it to the SB three times and chokes, the Yankmes made it to the WS only twice. Seems they got "snake-bit" in 2001 and it seemd "fishy" in 2003...
        Attached Files
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

How did this thread become the Rico Petrocelli Fan Club? And finishing third is still nothing to brag about. At least we reached the playoffs. If the positions were reversed, you would be warbling a different tune.
          Hey..not our fault you let Rico get away from under your noses. I mean, he's a Brooklyn kid and he signed with us. You guys had the hometown advantage, But then again, there's a guy from Long Island...heard he was a Yankee fan as a kid. Now who was he again? Oh, yeah...
          Attached Files
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
            Champions of what? Of being the biggest payroll, AND biggest disappointments
            Biggest disappointments? Sure. That MUST be the Red Sox. Didn't almost everyone tip them as the successors of the Yankees as AL East Champs? We all know how that ended. Seems quite a disappointment to me...

Comment

• I remember the ol' Redhead...

September 22, 1966, the White Sox defeat the Yankees 4-1 in front of 413 fans, and 66,587 empty seats in the Bronx. Red Barber was fired for telling the radio and TV audiences about this, and urging the cameras to pan the all but vacant Yankee Stadium. Let's look at how things went after that:

1966..........Yankees 70-89 10th Red Sox 72-90 9th
              1967..........Yankees 72-90 9th Red Sox 92-70 1st
              1968..........Yankees 83-79 5th Red Sox 86-76 4th
              1969..........Yankees 80-81 5th Red Sox 87-75 3rd
              1970..........Red Sox 87-75 3rd Yankees 93-69 2nd
              1971..........Yankees 82-80 4th Red Sox 85-77 3rd
              1972..........Yankees 79-76 4th Red Sox 85-70 2nd
              1973..........Yankees 80-82 4th Red Sox 89-73 2nd
              1974..........Red Sox 84-78 3rd Yankees 89-73 2nd
              1975..........Yankees 83-77 3rd Red Sox 95-65 1st

How's that for a decade, M'Row?
              Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

• Originally posted by trosmok
                September 22, 1966, the White Sox defeat the Yankees 4-1 in front of 413 fans, and 66,587 empty seats in the Bronx. Red Barber was fired for telling the radio and TV audiences about this, and urging the cameras to pan the all but vacant Yankee Stadium. Let's look at how things went after that:

1966..........Yankees 70-89 10th Red Sox 72-90 9th
                1967..........Yankees 72-90 9th Red Sox 92-70 1st
                1968..........Yankees 83-79 5th Red Sox 86-76 4th
                1969..........Yankees 80-81 5th Red Sox 87-75 3rd
                1970..........Red Sox 87-75 3rd Yankees 93-69 2nd
                1971..........Yankees 82-80 4th Red Sox 85-77 3rd
                1972..........Yankees 79-76 4th Red Sox 85-70 2nd
                1973..........Yankees 80-82 4th Red Sox 89-73 2nd
                1974..........Red Sox 84-78 3rd Yankees 89-73 2nd
                1975..........Yankees 83-77 3rd Red Sox 95-65 1st

How's that for a decade, M'Row?
                Pretty darn poor. Are you sure you want me to post anoter decade? How about you pick it and I'll post it. O.K.?
                How about the '90s? Everyone remember's those.

Comment

Pretty darn poor. Are you sure you want me to post anoter decade? How about you pick it and I'll post it. O.K.?
                  Sure, but only the first 5 years of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                    Biggest disappointments? Sure. That MUST be the Red Sox. Didn't almost everyone tip them as the successors of the Yankees as AL East Champs? We all know how that ended. Seems quite a disappointment to me...
                    I think we ALL know how much winning the division means. Squat. Where are the yankees now?

Where were the yankees last year?

What about 04?

03?

02?

01?

Its been a while, my cursed Yankee friend... Ah Chris...I cant wait for next year, you looked good in Red.

Comment

• Mantle retired, free agency was new, and...

Originally posted by Murderer's Row
                      Pretty darn poor. Are you sure you want me to post another decade? How about you pick it and I'll post it. O.K.?
                      Gotcha! LOL,! No, Murderer's Row, the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want to see a litany of the Yanks' dominance again. I was a Brooklyn fan until they slunk to the left coast, and was a fan of the game, not a team, until I embraced the hapless Cubs. :noidea The rival years between NYC's three teams is now just a memory, but a fond one. The main reason I posted the darkest decade in the Bronx was because I was actively pursuing a course that I hoped would lead me to a pro contract during those years. As much as I hate the Yankees, I would have given anything to make the show, even in pinstirpes, but advancing age and a glaring lack of talent helped me to see it wasn't going to happen in this kid's lifetime. As I bounced around and out of ball, I had the good fortune of meeting a fine young man who became an everyday Yankee outfielder that was with some of the crappiest teams ever to play in front of the fewest ever in the house that Ruth built. He was really something special ( All-Star in '69 &'70) and persevered, played an entire season ('75) without committing an error, hit around .275 with some pop from both sides, stole a boatload of bases, and just quietly kept playing as well as he could for a long, long time. He stuck around by exhibiting a work ethic beyond reproach, and helped the NYY team win the rings in '77 &'78. Roy White is an unsung hero if there ever was one, and I wish there were more guys like him in today's game. Too bad he wasn't a Cub or Red Sox player, they might have won a WS with him on their roster.
                      Last edited by trosmok; 10-13-2006, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Poor little Amy.....

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                        Its been a while, my cursed Yankee friend...
                        It's been so long, that reporters were trolling around the folks on the street in Manhattan shortly after the Tigers game, and they came across a little blond girl near Times Square that sobbed: "Just once in my life I want to see the Yankees win a World Series! Just once! Is that asking too much?" Her name was Amy and she will turn six in two weeks.

Comment

I think we ALL know how much winning the division means. Squat. Where are the yankees now?

Where were the yankees last year?

What about 04?

03?

02?

01?

Its been a while, my cursed Yankee friend... Ah Chris...I cant wait for next year, you looked good in Red.
                          Do you think? As far as I am concerned Red is not really my colour.

BTW why do you stop at 2001? I would go on until 1996 at least...

Comment

• Originally posted by trosmok
                            Gotcha! LOL,! No, Murderer's Row, the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want to see a litany of the Yanks' dominance again. I was a Brooklyn fan until they slunk to the left coast, and was a fan of the game, not a team, until I embraced the hapless Cubs. :noidea The rival years between NYC's three teams is now just a memory, but a fond one. The main reason I posted the darkest decade in the Bronx was because I was actively pursuing a course that I hoped would lead me to a pro contract during those years. As much as I hate the Yankees, I would have given anything to make the show, even in pinstirpes, but advancing age and a glaring lack of talent helped me to see it wasn't going to happen in this kid's lifetime. As I bounced around and out of ball, I had the good fortune of meeting a fine young man who became an everyday Yankee outfielder that was with some of the crappiest teams ever to play in front of the fewest ever in the house that Ruth built. He was really something special ( All-Star in '69 &'70) and persevered, played an entire season ('75) without committing an error, hit around .275 with some pop from both sides, stole a boatload of bases, and just quietly kept playing as well as he could for a long, long time. He stuck around by exhibiting a work ethic beyond reproach, and helped the NYY team win the rings in '77 &'78. Roy White is an unsung hero if there ever was one, and I wish there were more guys like him in today's game. Too bad he wasn't a Cub or Red Sox player, they might have won a WS with him on their roster.
                            Golly! A real baseball player! And you knew Roy White! Golly! I always liked Roy!

Just a little healthy torment.

1922 61-93, last place in the American League, 33 games back of the New York Yankees

1923 61-91, last place in the American League, 37 games back of the New York Yankees

1925 47-105, last place in the AL, 49-1/2 games back of the Washington Senators

1926 46-107, last place in the American League, 44-1/2 games back of the New York Yankees

1927 51-103, last place in the American League, 59 games back of the New York Yankees

1928 57-96, last place in the American League, 43-1/2 games back of the New York Yankees

1929 58-96, last place in the American League, 48 games back of the Philadelphia Athletics

1930 52-102, last place in the American League, 50 games back of the Philadelphia Athletics

1932 43-111, last place in the American League, 64 games back of the New York Yankees

1992 73-89, last in the AL East, 23 games back of the Toronto Blue Jays

I hope this wasn't to long but I thought I'd post every time the Red Sox finished last. Remember, there were lots of times they finished eighth or so but not last. Is this clear everyone?

Comment

• Whew... this kind of sounds like 1912 when the Yankees finished 55 games back of the 1st place Sox.

Comment

Whew... this kind of sounds like 1912 when the Yankees finished 55 games back of the 1st place Sox.
                                Any other years? Or are you drowning in a pit of logic? I pointed out that there were lots of times the Red Sox didn't finish last but had bad years. I didn't want to post that because it was much to long. Lets also remember that the Yankees have finished first plenty of times and this would be to long.

Hi Evan

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X