Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Old Sweater
    Not really. New York and Boston just have the biggest yakkers.
    Its not the only one, but its the best one.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SoxSon
      That aside (and I'm willing to agree ), do you think there's a rivalry in baseball today to match it?
      Yankee fans against everybody else. So what else is new?!

      Oh, I saw this local sign along I-95. I've found a new home for Keith Foulke:

      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

      Comment


      • Originally posted by EvanAparra
        Its not the only one, but its the best one.
        by alot, too. best rivalry in all of sports, en mi opinion.

        edit: american sports.
        Last edited by PhilWings24; 11-11-2006, 05:33 PM.
        Gelatin Fernandalism

        Comment


        • Anyone else find it a little bit sad that Mattingly's Sox bashing material comes from a Red Sox website? Please Matt, until you come up with something original, you're grounded.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by EvanAparra
            Anyone else find it a little bit sad that Mattingly's Sox bashing material comes from a Red Sox website? Please Matt, until you come up with something original, you're grounded.

            The real question is why is Mattingly browsing through those Sox sites? I think we've got a latent Boston fan on our hands!!!
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SoxSon
              That aside (and I'm willing to agree ), do you think there's a rivalry in baseball today to match it?
              Dodgers and Giants used to have a fantastic rivalry with lots of violence, but it seems to have died down somewhat in the last decade.

              I wonder how seriously most of the players these days take the rivalries...with the union being so strong, I feel like the players are more unified as a whole against management than they are in a team sense. I mean, there's always going to be a team spirit, but most players will sign with the highest bidder without any thought of loyalty or rivalry, and the players are always going to bind together across team lines against the owners.
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

              Comment


              • Originally posted by EvanAparra
                Anyone else find it a little bit sad that Mattingly's Sox bashing material comes from a Red Sox website? Please Matt, until you come up with something original, you're grounded.
                Only someone as pathetic as Beantowners would trash their own. If you people wish to bash your own, I'll post the results here!

                Now then, who gave you permission to speak? I'll lock you in the car trunk and you'll need someone to come out of the wooded area to save you! Now then, get in there and stay in there!



                *slams the door shut!*
                Originally posted by SoxSon
                The real question is why is Mattingly browsing through those Sox sites? I think we've got a latent Boston fan on our hands!!!
                Here's your trunk. Watch out for the moving axle.



                Here's a keepsake for you folks. Just remember, every 86 years, you folks get one:

                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • I can make a WS post better:



                  The Red Sox won two years ago and they're going to win again in the next couple years. Take a guess what happened to the Yankees in the World Series in 2001 and 2003. That's recent. 1975, 1976, and 1986 do not count.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by hellborn
                    I wonder how seriously most of the players these days take the rivalries...with the union being so strong, I feel like the players are more unified as a whole against management than they are in a team sense. I mean, there's always going to be a team spirit, but most players will sign with the highest bidder without any thought of loyalty or rivalry, and the players are always going to bind together across team lines against the owners.
                    That's the funny thing. Whenever I get the chance to see any "behind the scenes" footage of Red Sox and Yankees players mingling, they're always laughing and having a great time. I think they feel it on the field because the fans do, mainly.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SoxSon
                      That's the funny thing. Whenever I get the chance to see any "behind the scenes" footage of Red Sox and Yankees players mingling, they're always laughing and having a great time. I think they feel it on the field because the fans do, mainly.
                      I'll bet that many of the players think the really rabid fans who passionately hate rival teams are pretty funny. They can't laugh at them publicly, though, cuz they can't bite the hand that (indirectly) feeds them.
                      I was glad to see a few years ago that Fisk still hates the Yanks, when he flipped the bird to the Yanks dugout just before throwing out the first pitch in a '99 playoff game! Can't find a photo online...
                      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Solair Wright
                        I can make a WS post better:



                        The Red Sox won two years ago and they're going to win again in the next couple years. Take a guess what happened to the Yankees in the World Series in 2001 and 2003. That's recent. 1975, 1976, and 1986 do not count.
                        The Yanks have won so many more times than Beantown, it's pretty ridiculous. Heck, the Mets fans have only one twice.

                        2090 will be a long way away.

                        If 1975 and 1986 don't count, then why does 2001 and 2003?

                        Also, 1976 was the Yanks' WS loss. That now counts?

                        What about 1946, 1948, 1967? Do those count as well? I think that people need to be a bit less selective about what counts, what doesn't, if only basing it on who wins or loses.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by hellborn
                          I'll bet that many of the players think the really rabid fans who passionately hate rival teams are pretty funny. They can't laugh at them publicly, though, cuz they can't bite the hand that (indirectly) feeds them.
                          I was glad to see a few years ago that Fisk still hates the Yanks, when he flipped the bird to the Yanks dugout just before throwing out the first pitch in a '99 playoff game! Can't find a photo online...
                          You mean this pic?
                          Attached Files
                          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by hellborn
                            I'll bet that many of the players think the really rabid fans who passionately hate rival teams are pretty funny. They can't laugh at them publicly, though, cuz they can't bite the hand that (indirectly) feeds them.

                            I think you're absolutely right, hellborn. I've long suspected exactly this.
                            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by keepthefaith3
                              u suck gay rod

                              Are you kidding me?! Don't post nonsense like this again. It's not light-hearted banter...it's offensive junk. Watch the pics you post, too. The "fight" isn't brought up here, for obvious reasons.


                              Edit: I'm including an edit for all...enough with the middle finger shots. Since you can't say that on BBF, pics of people giving each other the finger aren't allowed, either. At the very least, the picture above was meant by Fisk in a halfhearted manner...the ones posted after were not.
                              Last edited by SoxSon; 11-12-2006, 04:31 PM.
                              "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                              Comment


                              • The only fight that can be talked about here is the fight for first place every year between these two teams. I'm not even going to discuss that Varitek and A-Rod fight, because there's no need to and it can't be brought up here.

                                But...I can bring up the constant first place finishes for the Yankees in the previous seasons after they won the 2000 World Series, and see them choke in 2001, 2003, and the 2004 ALCS. What happened, you say? Misplaced fortunes! 1 billion payroll one year doesn't save the team the year after.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X