Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Solair Wright
    but they have came up short from 2001-2006.
    That is still a lot shorter period than the Sox' 86 years of choking.

    Comment


    • Bad words, Bad words....

      Francona said the medical people would have the last word. There is no strengthening program that can keep an arm in the socket, given a closers schedule. Pap is gonna be on the DL. Perhaps even with a very serious or career ending injury.

      He's a kid, he'll do anything they tell him, he'll agree to anything. He just wants to get the ball and play.
      GRRR...
      Last edited by CuriousBoston; 03-24-2007, 11:30 PM.
      Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
      Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

      Comment


      • The battle of the rivalry managers:

        Francona has been known to make stupid mistakes in the past, such as managing horribly with the Phillies, and since he arrived in Boston, he has a tendacy of leaving PITCHERS IN TOO LONG. :grouchy Ever since he got here in Boston, he got three consecutive winning seasons, two playoff trips, and one World Series ring.

        Joe Torre had no problems in New York either, netting four WS champions, six pennants, and a couple >100+ game winning seasons. Though he was a manager of my other favorite team, he's been doing better in N.Y.

        As for Jon Papelbon, I hope he makes a quick recovery and can pitch this season. The only closer option we can trust with experience is Mike Timlin, but when he's left in a game too long...bad things can happen. Julian Tavarez? He's as stubborn as a stone. Joel Piniero? His skyrocketing ERA is what I can't trust.
        Last edited by Solair Wright; 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Solair Wright
          As for Jon Papelbon, I hope he makes a quick recovery and can pitch this season....
          Huh? He's already recovered, and has been pitching in ST games for 3 weeks, and airing it out, too, on occasion. He's said that he feels great.

          Perhaps you mean Lester? He's already pitched in a couple games at the MiL camp, and is expected back before the ASB.
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

          Comment


          • With Papelbon back in the Bullpen, who joins the rotation? And, wasn't he medically forbidden to close? (I'll admit I haven't been following this closely, but I sense a bad ending here...for Papelbon. )
            4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bigtime39
              With Papelbon back in the Bullpen, who joins the rotation? And, wasn't he medically forbidden to close? (I'll admit I haven't been following this closely, but I sense a bad ending here...for Papelbon. )
              Julian Tarvaras will take the #5 spot, but hopefully Lester will be back soon to fill it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bigtime39
                With Papelbon back in the Bullpen, who joins the rotation? And, wasn't he medically forbidden to close? (I'll admit I haven't been following this closely, but I sense a bad ending here...for Papelbon. )
                Closing medically forbidden? Explain. He will be on the mound for a shorter period, so he uses his arm less. How can that be worse than acting as a starting pitcher?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                  Closing medically forbidden? Explain. He will be on the mound for a shorter period, so he uses his arm less. How can that be worse than acting as a starting pitcher?
                  Well, it was said before that the strain of pitching frequently and pitching hard was the cause of the injury. Over the offseason I guess Papelbon underwent a training regimen to strengthen the affected muscles, and it was decided that starting, with its long and frequent rest, was best for him.

                  Evidently things have changed, though assurances have been made that he will not be used for multiple innings and not day after day after day, as he was in August, when it seems like he and Beckett were the only pitchers not already on the DL.

                  Assurances have been made that Papelbon will not be asked to pitch multiple innings, and not day after day after day.

                  If it works, blessed be. If not.... someone has some 'splainin' to do.
                  --Annie
                  Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                  Remember Yellowdog
                  ABNY

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
                    Julian Tarvaras will take the #5 spot, but hopefully Lester will be back soon to fill it.
                    Tavares? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                      Tavares? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
                      I agree. Lester is a much better pitcher in the starting rotation. Also, don't forget how horrible Tavares was last year for the Red Sox, giving up many runs in the late innings. I hope Lester is feeling better from his cancer. GET WELL SOON!
                      New York Mets 2007!!!!- 4-1 :gt


                      EIS SPRING TRAVEL TEAM 0-0

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
                        Julian Tarvaras will take the #5 spot, but hopefully Lester will be back soon to fill it.


                        Funny but they can't possibly be stupid enough to use HIM!!!!!

                        I can just picture it. Last month of the season, last Yankee-Boston game of the year, Yankees and Red Sox are tied in the standings, Julian Tavarez versus Andy Pettitte......

                        Enjoy

                        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler


                          Funny but they can't possibly be stupid enough to use HIM!!!!!

                          I can just picture it. Last month of the season, last Yankee-Boston game of the year, Yankees and Red Sox are tied in the standings, Julian Tavarez versus Andy Pettitte......

                          Enjoy

                          You know what Taveraz's record was for the 5 games he started? 4-1. ERA? 3.52. He's not some stud, but he isn't a terrible starter at the moment.

                          I happy to say the Red Sox have 5, maybe 6 starters that they know will do well...The Yankees have like what, Wang, Mussina, Pettitte (), and uh...Igawa? Pavano?

                          Comment


                          • Rivals 'till the end . . .
                            One foggy night, a Yankees fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston. While crossing a narrow bridge they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars. The Yankees fan manages to climb out of his car and surveys the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I am lucky to be alive." Likewise, the Red Sox fan gets out of his car uninjured, feeling equally fortunate to have survived.
                            The Yankees fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says "Hey man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals." The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're right. We should be friends. In fact, I'm going to see if something else survived the wreck." The Red Sox fan then pops his trunk open and removes a full, undamaged bottle of Jack Daniels.
                            He says to the Yankees fan, "I think this is another sign - we should toast to our newfound friendship".
                            The Yankees fan agrees and grabs the bottle. After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says "your turn."

                            The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws it over the bridge into the river and says,
                            "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."
                            Attached Files
                            Ken Fougère

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by KenFougere
                              One foggy night, a Yankees fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston. While crossing a narrow bridge they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars. The Yankees fan manages to climb out of his car and surveys the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I am lucky to be alive." Likewise, the Red Sox fan gets out of his car uninjured, feeling equally fortunate to have survived.
                              The Yankees fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says "Hey man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals." The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're right. We should be friends. In fact, I'm going to see if something else survived the wreck." The Red Sox fan then pops his trunk open and removes a full, undamaged bottle of Jack Daniels.
                              He says to the Yankees fan, "I think this is another sign - we should toast to our newfound friendship".
                              The Yankees fan agrees and grabs the bottle. After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says "your turn."

                              The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws it over the bridge into the river and says,
                              "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."
                              Tricky!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by -Kyle-
                                Tricky!
                                True, only the lowest of the low or an evil demon could possibly pull such a dirty trick
                                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X