Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by -Kyle-
    You know what Taveraz's record was for the 5 games he started? 4-1. ERA? 3.52. He's not some stud, but he isn't a terrible starter at the moment.
    Have you ever heard of small sample size? Typically pitchers don't improveby going from starter to reliever. Generally it's the complete opposite.

    I happy to say the Red Sox have 5, maybe 6 starters that they know will do well...The Yankees have like what, Wang, Mussina, Pettitte (), and uh...Igawa? Pavano?
    Know this name, fear it, hide from it.....

    PHILLIP HUGHES
    Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 03-24-2007, 03:14 PM.
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler
      True, only the lowest of the low or an evil demon could possibly pull such a dirty trick
      Sure, it's a "dirty trick" only because the Yankee fan didn't think of it first . . .
      Ken Fougère

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler
        Have you ever heard of small sample size? Typically pitchers don't improveby going from starter to reliever. Generally it's the complete opposite.



        Know this name, fear it, hide from it.....

        PHILLIP HUGHES
        I have, but there is no reason to badmouth him when he isn't bad yet.

        Just wait until arbitration...Hughes will join the Red Sox (he is a Red Sox's fan)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by -Kyle-
          I have, but there is no reason to badmouth him when he isn't bad yet.

          Just wait until arbitration...Hughes will join the Red Sox (he is a Red Sox's fan)
          Yes he is bad. He's been lucky though that's it.

          We'll see who offers more money
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler
            Yes he is bad. He's been lucky though that's it.
            Really? How do you know he is bad?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by -Kyle-
              Really? How do you know he is bad?
              Don't worry about it; people said Lowe would stink when he went to the rotation, too.
              --Annie
              Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
              Remember Yellowdog
              ABNY

              Comment


              • Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                Don't worry about it; people said Lowe would stink when he went to the rotation, too.
                But then he went out and won 21 games, came in 3 in the Cy Young award, came in 2nd in ERA+ (behind Pedro).

                Comment


                • Originally posted by -Kyle-
                  Really? How do you know he is bad?
                  That K/BB worse than Wang's is a bit of a hint.
                  2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                    Don't worry about it; people said Lowe would stink when he went to the rotation, too.
                    At least he had a 60% GB% consistently
                    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler
                      At least he had a 60% GB% consistently
                      I'll actually let the guy take the mound at least ONCE this year before writing him off.
                      Originally posted by Domenic
                      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by -Kyle-
                        I happy to say the Red Sox have 5, maybe 6 starters that they know will do well...The Yankees have like what, Wang, Mussina, Pettitte (), and uh...Igawa? Pavano?
                        So who are those 5-6 pitchers you're referring to?

                        The Yanks have can expect to contribute through the season:

                        Wang (currently on the DL)
                        Moose
                        Pettitte
                        Igawa (starting to look better in his last start)
                        Pavano (needs much more work)
                        Karstens
                        Rasner

                        If Beantown pitching is so great, then why are they 11-10 in spring, but the Yanks are 12-9?
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • Yeah, because 12-9 is soooooo much better than 11-10.

                          Let's see who the Red Sox have:

                          Schilling
                          Beckett
                          Matsuzaka
                          Wakefield
                          Tavarez
                          Lester
                          Gabbard

                          There you have it, seven pitchers who could very well contribute to the Red Sox this year, not counting Papelbon.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mattingly
                            If Beantown pitching is so great, then why are they 11-10 in spring, but the Yanks are 12-9?
                            Dang! And I thought the Grapefruit League championships was ours! They need a wild card for this thing! Oh well, the 162 pre-season game schedule starts April 2nd. Maybe we can use that time to prepare for the 2008 Spring schedule.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                              Yeah, because 12-9 is soooooo much better than 11-10.

                              Let's see who the Red Sox have:

                              Schilling
                              Beckett
                              Matsuzaka
                              Wakefield
                              Tavarez
                              Lester
                              Gabbard

                              There you have it, seven pitchers who could very well contribute to the Red Sox this year, not counting Papelbon.
                              12-9 is still better than 11-10, so what's there to brag about if you've got the lesser record? I still don't get it.

                              Julian Tavarez, 5-4, 4.47

                              Jon Lester, 7-2, 4.76

                              Kason Gabbard (40-man roster), 1-3, 3.51

                              For the Yanks:

                              Jeff Karstens, 2-1, 3.80

                              Darrell Rasner, 3-1, 4.43

                              Not ideal, but then again, 2006's wasn't either but the Yanks still won the division, didn't they? To me, in the end, you have to worry about games won, not whether or not you won them 3-2 or 8-6. While I'd much rather have the lower-scoring game, the main thing is to win the game, not worry excessively about how well your pitcher did.
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
                                Dang! And I thought the Grapefruit League championships was ours! They need a wild card for this thing! Oh well, the 162 pre-season game schedule starts April 2nd. Maybe we can use that time to prepare for the 2008 Spring schedule.
                                Since my calendar strangely lists March 2007, I figure that's all we've got to compare to. Is the regular season more important? Of course it is, but since we're still in March, what else do we have to compare to?

                                If Boston does better in April than they are now, so be it. Right now, they're the 7th-rated AL team, followed by Baltimore. The Yanks are in 3rd, so I'll take that as a good sign.
                                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X