This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Future:Greatest2BofAll-Time View Post
    You must not be that serious of a Baseball fan. Otherwise you would have know that three teams from California made the Playoffs.
    Originally posted by Future:Greatest2BofAll-Time View Post
    Don't know why some Boston Red Sox fan is talking. Boston finished third in the Division and was 9 GB the Wild Card leader. Nothing against Red Sox fans, but don't know why his sticking his nose in here when It doesn't even concern his team or any AL Team. Unless, you got something smart to say by all means give your two cents, but saying something as dumb as that is just...dumb.LOL!

"I forgot they still had ball clubs out there on the west coast." LOL! dumbest quote of the Baseball year so far.LOL!
    Rock on dude!

The Dodgers are my second favorite team, by the way.
    Originally posted by Domenic
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Dice-K just nailed 10 batters with K's, while Andy Pettite sits at home, pondering on why he left the city of Houston. Now, all the Royals need to do is just lose and the Red Sox get their first official series win.

Comment

• 10!

Special K.JPG
        Forget Wheaties!

Comment

• Does anyone else absolutely hate the name "Dice-K"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
            Does anyone else absolutely hate the name "Dice-K"?

Hate... not really. But I wonder what it stands for. The K is obvious. But what has dice to do with pitching?

Comment

• It's how you pronounce his name. I guess it just works out that K stands for strikeout? Personally I don't care for the nickname. Too un-original.
              WAMCO!

Comment

• Dice-K

I think Dice might be derived from his first name. Call him DiceK, call him Monstah, call him Gyro, call him "that guy on the mound", call him the second coming of Cy Young.

How about SoxAce? (It's not Schilling:choke

Call him anything, but call him "WINNAH!" Seven innings...
                Start a rename thread at Red Sox?
                Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

• First ML start . . . very impressive!

Beware Yankee fans. This guy's the Real McCoy!

Looks to be a dominating force in the future and the Red Sox nation has lots to look forward to whenever Dice-K takes the mound. Matsuzaka looks to be everything the Red Sox brass had hoped for finishing with 10 K's, one walk, 6 hits and one earned run.

Last edited by KenFougere; 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
                    Does anyone else absolutely hate the name "Dice-K"?
                    Yes. ALthough I know it's how his name is pronounced, tt sounds like one of those unimaginitve abbreviations that sportswriters come up with when they want to sound cool but can't think of an original nickname.

"D-Mats" is worse, though.

"That Guy on the Mound"... Hmmm.
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

• Monster? Gyroman? Dice Ice? The Nippon Knight? How about eesu , which means "ace" in Japanese? Satchel II? Hmm....

Comment

• Which is better...

Red Sox: 2-1 or Yankees: 1-1? The answer is obvious, and the Yankees get a flock of Birds, namely, the O's tomorrow. The Red Sox get to go south to wrangle up the Rangers.

Comment

• Now that's a damn shame . . . :dismay:

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                            Monster? Gyroman? Dice Ice? The Nippon Knight? How about eesu , which means "ace" in Japanese? Satchel II? Hmm....
                            Anything but Dice-K, right? Hmm, I think I'll go with "Daisuke Matsuzaka". Sounds good, but I don't know where it came from...
                            And the Red Sox walk-off with the win!

Comment

• Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                              It's how you pronounce his name. I guess it just works out that K stands for strikeout? Personally I don't care for the nickname. Too un-original.
                              I do not speak any Japanese, but I think that his name should be pronounced like Di soo kah.

Comment

• The contraction of "daisu" into Dice is so that Americans do not go with normal rules and put the accent on the second to last syllable, which would make the pronunciation something like Die-sue-key, as it was when he first surfaced here. By phoneticizing it into two syllables, Dice and K, a near-perfect approximation is created.

Really, in Japanese, the name is 4 syllables long: Da, i, su, ke. The "su" is generally thought to be pronounced as just "s", but sometimes you can hear the "u" in there. Since each syllable is pronounced evenly, the Dice gets basically twice as long on the tongue as the K. So it sounds to us like there is more force on the Dice part, when really it's equal between the Da, the I, and the Ke.
                                And the Red Sox walk-off with the win!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X