Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bitter Rivals Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Westlake View Post
    Huh? Im confused. That's Dave Roberts.
    Sorry, geez, THAT should be engraved in my brain. I saw the three, and blanked out everything else. Getting dizzy at the top of the standings. :blush:
    Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
    Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
      We had Scott Brosius at the time. Stuff happens.

      How's Hanley Ramirez doing right now?
      Puh-Leez, this is one of the last fights the Yankees should try...hows Jake Westbrook, Eric Milton, D'Angilo Jimmenez, Damaso Marte, Zach Day, Ted Lilly and Wily Mo Pena all seem to be fine players. And I am probably missing some...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by -Kyle- View Post
        Puh-Leez, this is one of the last fights the Yankees should try...hows Jake Westbrook, Eric Milton, D'Angilo Jimmenez, Damaso Marte, Zach Day, Ted Lilly and Wily Mo Pena all seem to be fine players. And I am probably missing some...
        Scott McGregor had a pretty good career with the Orioles
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

        Comment


        • Darrell Evans, La Marr Hoyt, Willie McGee, Fred McGriff, B.J. Surhoff, Al Leiter, Brad Ausmus, J.T. Snow, Carl Everett, Casey Blake, Nick Johnson, Aaron Heilman, Mark Prior. All Yankee draftees, most of whom never played a game with the Yankees.

          Comment


          • Tampa Bay just swept the Yankee$!
            Tampa Bay is ahead of the Yankee$ in the AL East!
            This is the kind of thing a guy can get behind!
            (Now the Orioles need to leave behind the brain cramps of the Oakland series, and lay waste to the Red $ox!)
            Last edited by bigtime39; 04-24-2007, 08:20 PM.
            4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Erik Bedard View Post
              Darrell Evans, La Marr Hoyt, Willie McGee, Fred McGriff, B.J. Surhoff, Al Leiter, Brad Ausmus, J.T. Snow, Carl Everett, Casey Blake, Nick Johnson, Aaron Heilman, Mark Prior. All Yankee draftees, most of whom never played a game with the Yankees.
              I prefer to point out draftees they actually SIGNED or guys they got in trades as prospects and then let get away...

              Al Leiter: April 30, 1989: Traded by the New York Yankees to the Toronto Blue Jays for Jesse Barfield.

              OK..Barfield had some good seasons with the Yanks..hitting 25 HR in '90 but injuries ended his career 2 years later

              LaMarr Hoyt: April 5, 1977: Traded by the New York Yankees with Bob Polinsky (minors), Oscar Gamble, and $200,000 to the Chicago White Sox for Bucky Dent.

              If that trade was never made, there never would have been a playoff game in '78. But...had Hoyt never been injured, Yankees would have had some good 20-win seasons out of him

              Jake Westbrook: December 22, 1999: Traded by the Montreal Expos with players to be named later to the New York Yankees for Hideki Irabu. The Montreal Expos sent Ted Lilly (March 17, 2000) and Christian Parker (March 22, 2000) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

              June 29, 2000: Traded by the New York Yankees with Zach Day and Ricky Ledee to the Cleveland Indians for David Justice.


              Yankees got him when they ripped off the Expos for Irabu...then send him to the Indians when the Tribe ripped THEM off for David Justice. Note that Ted Lilly was in the Irabu deal. Yankees sent him out in exchange for a half-season from Jeff Weaver...and Day went to the Tribe with Westbrook in the Justice deal.

              Damas Marte:June 13, 2001: Traded by the New York Yankees to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Enrique Wilson.

              Forget that Marte has been with Pittsburgh....still a good closer. would have been a setup man for Rivera if still with Yanks. He got something with the Chisox tho..a WS ring...Wilson? Mostly late innings replacement, right?

              Wily Mo Pena: March 21, 2001: Traded by the New York Yankees to the Cincinnati Reds for Drew Henson and Michael Coleman.

              Excuse me..I have to go to the hospital..I think I pulled a few ribs from laughing over this one...

              Fred McGriff: December 9, 1982: Traded by the New York Yankees with Dave Collins, Mike Morgan, and cash to the Toronto Blue Jays for Dale Murray and Tom Dodd.

              Who the hell was Tom Dodd?

              Brad Ausmus: November 17, 1992: Drafted by the Colorado Rockies from the New York Yankees as the 54th pick in the 1992 expansion draft.

              Bet they's still rather have him than Posada...and in the same expansuion draft...

              Carl Everett: November 17, 1992: Drafted by the Florida Marlins from the New York Yankees as the 27th pick in the 1992 expansion draft.

              I wouldn't even wish this on on the Yankees. Joe Torre has enough problems.

              Nick Johnson: December 16, 2003: Traded by the New York Yankees with Randy Choate and Juan Rivera to the Montreal Expos for Javier Vazquez.

              Johnson's still with the Nats..Vazquez escaped from the Yankees...

              Eric Milton: February 6, 1998: Traded by the New York Yankees with Brian Buchanan, Cristian Guzman, Danny Mota, and cash to the Minnesota Twins for Chuck Knoblauch

              Can you say RIPOFF? If Milton had remained with the Yanks...20 game winner for sure.

              D'Angelo Jimenez:June 23, 2001: Traded by the New York Yankees to the San Diego Padres for Jay Witasick.

              ???

              J.T. Snow: December 6, 1992: Traded by the New York Yankees with Jerry Nielsen and Russ Springer to the California Angels for Jim Abbott.

              Yankees only got 2 seasons from Abbott befire he escaped NYC via free agency

              Willie McGee: October 21, 1981:Traded by the New York Yankees to the St. Louis Cardinals for Bob Sykes.

              Bob Who?

              Gee..this was fun, actually resarching this.

              Yeah..I know YOU guys are going to mention a certain late 1990 trade....
              Last edited by SDL; 04-24-2007, 09:28 PM.
              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CuriousBoston View Post
                I :cap: accept on his behalf..
                Coolness. In that case, shrink this down slightly and you've got a most *BEEYOOOOOOOOOODEEEFUL* av. You will surely be properly attired.



                Your sig:

                Yankee flags: the choice of the more sophisticated New Englanders.

                Now then, go pahk yohh cahh in the gah-rahhge.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • Originally posted by -Kyle- View Post
                  Puh-Leez, this is one of the last fights the Yankees should try...hows Jake Westbrook, Eric Milton, D'Angilo Jimmenez, Damaso Marte, Zach Day, Ted Lilly and Wily Mo Pena all seem to be fine players. And I am probably missing some...
                  Yanks had no patience back then. Now, because of the $200m payroll and the lux tax, they can't just throw guys away anymore.

                  It also depends upon how good they were back then. The Mets traded away Nolan Ryan, but in his Mets years, he wasn't the Ryan Express that we know.

                  Jake Westbrook had a 13.50 ERA in 2000

                  Eric Milton has a 5.00 career ERA (must've been traded from the farm)

                  D'Angelo Jimenez was (as in past tense) a pretty good hitter, but was traded in 2001 to San Diego for the very dubious Jay Witasick, when the Yankee pitching was absolutely rock bottom

                  Ted Lilly was good, but I think they could've been more patient with him. His pitching was described as throwing across his body, so he'd used his arm more than his legs. With his mechanics, the Yanks got scared and pulled the trigger. His dubious moment was a 1st inning 3-run shot in June 2002 to Barry Bonds (some friends and I argued non-stop about whether he should've IBB'd Bonds, despite its being early in the game). Lilly only wanted to sign with the Yanks or Cubs, but the Yanks didn't like his $40-44m offer over 4 years. Between him and El Duque, I think the Yanks could've been in pretty good shape pitching-wise.

                  Jay "Bone" Buhner, Marcus Thames and many others could be included. In fact, had the Yanks met then-Expos GM Omar Minaya's demands, so would Mariano Rivera, despite Boston's much lesser deal (including Carl Pavano) being accepted.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                    Coolness. In that case, shrink this down slightly and you've got a most *BEEYOOOOOOOOOODEEEFUL* av. You will surely be properly attired.



                    Your sig:

                    Yankee flags: the choice of the more sophisticated New Englanders.

                    Now then, go pahk yohh cahh in the gah-rahhge.
                    You know I live down here in Tampa Bay....bet I'll be getting dirty looks as I ask Yankee fans who live here about the last 5 nights
                    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                      Yanks had no patience back then. Now, because of the $200m payroll and the lux tax, they can't just throw guys away anymore.

                      It also depends upon how good they were back then. The Mets traded away Nolan Ryan, but in his Mets years, he wasn't the Ryan Express that we know.

                      Jake Westbrook had a 13.50 ERA in 2000

                      Eric Milton has a 5.00 career ERA (must've been traded from the farm)

                      D'Angelo Jimenez was (as in past tense) a pretty good hitter, but was traded in 2001 to San Diego for the very dubious Jay Witasick, when the Yankee pitching was absolutely rock bottom

                      Ted Lilly was good, but I think they could've been more patient with him. His pitching was described as throwing across his body, so he'd used his arm more than his legs. With his mechanics, the Yanks got scared and pulled the trigger. His dubious moment was a 1st inning 3-run shot in June 2002 to Barry Bonds (some friends and I argued non-stop about whether he should've IBB'd Bonds, despite its being early in the game). Lilly only wanted to sign with the Yanks or Cubs, but the Yanks didn't like his $40-44m offer over 4 years. Between him and El Duque, I think the Yanks could've been in pretty good shape pitching-wise.

                      Jay "Bone" Buhner, Marcus Thames and many others could be included. In fact, had the Yanks met then-Expos GM Omar Minaya's demands, so would Mariano Rivera, despite Boston's much lesser deal (including Carl Pavano) being accepted.
                      Buhner: December 20, 1984: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates with Dale Berra and Alfonso Pulido to the New York Yankees for Steve Kemp, Tim Foli, and cash.

                      July 21, 1988: Traded by the New York Yankees with a player to be named later and Rich Balabon (minors) to the Seattle Mariners for Ken Phelps. The New York Yankees sent Troy Evers (minors) (October 12, 1988) to the Seattle Mariners to complete the trade.


                      Buhner was the prospect in the Berra deal...I admit I saw him play a few games in Lauderdale when I moved there in early '85. I remember hearing Yankee fans in the stands talking about how good Buhner was going to be.

                      So they trade him for Ken Phelps?????

                      Thames for Ruben Sierra...you only got one OK year from Sierra out of it
                      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                      Comment


                      • I'm a Sox fan, and I don't think we should be talking about bad deals... How is Mike Gonzalez and Freddy Sanchez working out for the Pirates and Braves? How did Jeff Bagwell work out for the Stros? Rock on, Stan Papi!

                        Sox management sucks.

                        Sorry, that's my angry rant.
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                          I'm a Sox fan, and I don't think we should be talking about bad deals... How is Mike Gonzalez and Freddy Sanchez working out for the Pirates and Braves? How did Jeff Bagwell work out for the Stros? Rock on, Stan Papi!

                          Sox management sucks.

                          Sorry, that's my angry rant.
                          We had Gonzalez for a week before we returned him in the Suppan deal.

                          I didn't like trading Sanchez...but a friend of mine who is a Pirates fan is happy about it.

                          The Bagwell for Andersen deal was a Lou Gorman production..and the schmuck says he'd make that trade over and over again...
                          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                          Comment


                          • Hey!

                            Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                            Coolness. In that case, shrink this down slightly and you've got a most *BEEYOOOOOOOOOODEEEFUL* av. You will surely be properly attired.



                            Your sig:

                            Yankee flags: the choice of the more sophisticated New Englanders.

                            Now then, go pahk yohh cahh in the gah-rahhge.
                            That was for last weekend. I thought he did accept.You know I never bet, but let me check the pitching first.
                            Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                            Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

                            Comment


                            • Assuming the Sox hold their 6-1 lead in the ninth....
                              Code:
                              Team W L GB BOSTON 13 7 - Baltimore 11 10 2.5 Toronto 10 10 2.5 Tampa 9 11 3.5 New York 8 11 4.0
                              Look out below, Nationals! Here come the Bronx Bomb(er)s!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                                Assuming the Sox hold their 6-1 lead in the ninth....
                                Code:
                                Team W L GB BOSTON 13 7 - Baltimore 11 10 2.5 Toronto 10 10 2.5 Tampa 9 11 3.5 New York 8 11 4.0
                                Look out below, Nationals! Here come the Bronx Bomb(er)s!
                                They can look at the bright side...they'll have a chance for the next Brien Taylor...
                                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X