X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
    One reason the Yankees suck right now.

Kerrigan as BULLPEN COACH???

Maybe if SOMEBODY there had one working brain cell, they'd use him as PITCHING COACH..the man is a genius. can't manage for crap but a GENIUS as a pitching coach...only wish sox had kept him when duquette got swept out.
    Me thinks that was cronyism more than anything else. Ron Guidry had a great season in 1978 (started the "Bucky Dent HR game"), and he had his number retired around 2003. Setup man Armando Benitez, who must've spent about 2-3 weeks in the Bronx, never got to wear Guidry's #49, despite that being his number as a Mets closer before that.

Guidry was drafted by the Yanks and played his entire pro career there.

I figure that was a "fan favorite" move to see their big star rewarded, rather than putting in the more qualified person. To my knowledge, Guidry's most recent success was getting Kei Igawa to challenge hitters more. I'd heard something on the radio during a game that Japanese pitchers are taught to keep the ball away from the batters. Guidry taught him to come in closer to the batter.

Yeah, I remember when DD canned Jimy Williams around September of 2001, when all the injuries cropped up like wildfire. Jimy played the "lefty-right thing", meaning that good lefty players were benched when an opposing southpaw took the hill. I remembered they'd faced Al Leiter (then with the Mets) and Andy Pettitte that season. I can't remember what Kerrigan did, but the distraction of having a manager fired so late in the season led to tons of confusion.

I personally expected Guidry to be the bullpen coach, since it didn't make sense to myself to have the more qualified pitch coach in there. I'd personally prefer to win games, rather than satisfying the fans.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirt Dog View Post
      Marty Miller got whacked today. Wasn't he a real DOPE? (Director Of Performance Enhancement).

Gutsy move. Tough decision.

Who's next:
      Parking lot attendant?
      Ballboy?
      Consecession stand worker?
      Beer guy in Section 21?
      You hit the nail right on the head.

This attendant let the players park their cars too far from the Stadium. As a result they had to walk too much and that was the cause of all those strained hamstrings...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
        Me thinks that was cronyism more than anything else. Ron Guidry had a great season in 1978 (started the "Bucky Dent HR game"), and he had his number retired around 2003. Setup man Armando Benitez, who must've spent about 2-3 weeks in the Bronx, never got to wear Guidry's #49, despite that being his number as a Mets closer before that.

Guidry was drafted by the Yanks and played his entire pro career there.

I figure that was a "fan favorite" move to see their big star rewarded, rather than putting in the more qualified person. To my knowledge, Guidry's most recent success was getting Kei Igawa to challenge hitters more. I'd heard something on the radio during a game that Japanese pitchers are taught to keep the ball away from the batters. Guidry taught him to come in closer to the batter.

Yeah, I remember when DD canned Jimy Williams around September of 2001, when all the injuries cropped up like wildfire. Jimy played the "lefty-right thing", meaning that good lefty players were benched when an opposing southpaw took the hill. I remembered they'd faced Al Leiter (then with the Mets) and Andy Pettitte that season. I can't remember what Kerrigan did, but the distraction of having a manager fired so late in the season led to tons of confusion.

I personally expected Guidry to be the bullpen coach, since it didn't make sense to myself to have the more qualified pitch coach in there. I'd personally prefer to win games, rather than satisfying the fans.
        The reason that Jimy got fired was pure stupidity. We still had a chance, although I think it was to placate a cancer that was in the Sox clubhouse, a former Yankee #1 draft choice named Carl Everett. Everett hated Jimy, but Everett could swing a bat...Everett had been boasting that he was going to get Jimy canned and I was wondering why the hell didn't Duquette get rid of him. Everett was as happy as a pig in slop when Kerrigan took over..until Kerrigan fined Everett for coming in late to a practice. Everett all of a sudden remembers that Kerrigan called him the N word back in spring training...THAT finally sparked the dim bulb in Duquette's head that Everett had problems...like he hadn't before (I had a personal encounter of sorts with carl the Clubhouse Cancer in '92 in lauderdale, but I'll save that for another time). From what I heard, Everett wasn't too popular in the Sox clubhouse either.

Kerrigan never should have been the manager but Duquette signed him to a 3 year deal which the Sox had to eat when he was replaced with Grady Little. No way could they ask him to stay as a pitching coach after letting him go as the manager, altho I wish they had. Remember that Kerrigan got Pedro going in Montreal.

Had the Sox not been infected with The Everett Virus, Jimy never would have been canned.

Somebody in the Yankee front office back in '92 must have realized something and let him go to the Marlins in the expansion draft.
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Manny being Manny ... and Red Sawx fantasizers being themselves.

Video link
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Mattingly's at it again. No one talks from the peanut gallery! (consisting of Yankees fans)

Josh Beckett is 5-0, and let's compare that to some Yankee "aces," shall we? Are they close to 5-0? Nope, so we'll see how May goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
              Mattingly's at it again. No one talks from the peanut gallery! (consisting of Yankees fans)

Josh Beckett is 5-0, and let's compare that to some Yankee "aces," shall we? Are they close to 5-0? Nope, so we'll see how May goes.
              Actually 6-0 now
              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                Manny being Manny ... and Red Sawx fantasizes being themselves.
                You see, there's no need to fantasize since we're at the top looking down . . .
                . . . and the fact that the
                Yankees are at the bottom looking up doesn't hurt either.
                Ken Fougère

Comment

• The Red Sox flushed out the Mariners, and the Yankees cannot win by default. Let's hope Texiera or any of the Texas Rangers' offense can bail them out, without the aid of Sosa, who left the game after being beaned on the head.

By the way...how's the Yankees' starters Earned Run Average so far this season? Moose has a 5.73 ERA, and let's see how long he can go before being shipped to Baltimore or Tampa Bay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
                    The Red Sox flushed out the Mariners, and the Yankees cannot win by default. Let's hope Texiera or any of the Texas Rangers' offense can bail them out, without the aid of Sosa, who left the game after being beaned on the head.

By the way...how's the Yankees' starters Earned Run Average so far this season? Moose has a 5.73 ERA, and let's see how long he can go before being shipped to Baltimore or Tampa Bay.
                    Hadn't even realized that Sammy "formerly Slammy" Sosa had been HBP. Sad to hear that, especially after Jeter's been hit so often.

Matsuzaka today was 5.0 IP, 5 ER, 1 K. Moose today was 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 3 K.

Now then, who got the win? Moooooooooose did. Yanks won both ends of the DH, but the "dice" wasn't rolling right with 5 runs in the 1st inning. Boy, when he hiccups, he really does in that bat-around.

Baltimore or TB? I'm sure they'd love to have him, but no "dice".

Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
                    Mattingly's at it again. No one talks from the peanut gallery! (consisting of Yankees fans)

Where the heck is CB? That looked just like her in the brown sweatshirt. Hey, it's nice to know that she's giving out "free beer" to Yankee fans.

Don't worry about the Yankee aces. Mats isn't looking very ace-like right now. Heck, even Igawa did better than him when he'd worked 6 innings in relief (emergency start after a comebacker hit the starter). We'll see how the tides turn as the season goes on ... and how much "free beer" Yankee fans will be receiving.

Oh bartender!
                    Last edited by Mattingly; 05-03-2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Here I am !

BROWN SHIRT!!!!!! I NEVER WEAR ANYTHINGTO BALLGAMES BUT MY RED SOX SWEATSHIRT! um...a pair of jeans, and some other things, too.

I do not bartend. I am seated, then trusted men are allowed to bring food and drink to me. Geez. White wine, a frozen mudslide on very, very special days. Take a can of beer, a stick of unsalted butter, a pint of oysters, low heat, have Portugese bread ready. That is what beer is for. Unless you want to steam shellfish.

Matt, I believe, based on your posts, that certain Yfans do not know what d-i-c-t-i-o-n-a-r-i-e-s are. A fantasy is not true. A fantasy is a dream of what someone wants. Someone very thoughtfully put the idea of a chocolate Varitek into my head.

That is a fantasy, a vveerryyy nice fantasy...

The Sox are in first place. That is fact. The rest of you are clumped together like lint, like cotton candy, like little clumps of worms. Wait...there's a clump of pinstriped worms!

Pinstriped wormies....careful! Bait for a Devil Ray! Gotcha! One less Yfantisizer. Try very hard to stay under a rock, or one of the birds will get you. And you should be quiet, too. Orioles and Blue Jays are very hungry this time of year.

Me, I've been away fishing, had to stop to convince people Cora belongs in the game, not on the bench. So I emptied an old sock, put my wormies on the grass for the birds.

Very strange, I usually use seaworms, but this year, I just need half or quarter of these pinstriped worms. The fish and birds seem to like them very much.. so the grass seed isn't eaten, we'll have a nice field right through October, or until it snows, whichever happens first.

(Now that I've started a near riot about Cora I thought I'd stop by.They've forgotten about lil me. Meanwhile, I've learned a lot about Cora, and what people think about him. Learned as corporate survival; as others justify what you said as wrong, you get data about the situation, and where people stand, while standing quietly against the wall. I didn't realize I was doing the same thing until the responses started. Aren't we interesting critters?)
                      Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                      Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

• Further proof from her last post that CB was really the star beer tosser in that cheesy vid. Hey, CB, 'fess up that it was you tossing that beer and acting very ... Sawx-fantasizer-like and everything! Admission of your life down Lansdowne St (spl?) & Yawkey Way would be nice.

Yeah, you'll get your fancy shmancy meal and your V-tek Godivas and all. Just have Mats start like that more often and we'll be fine.

Comment

• I must admit, nice setup you got going in the AL East basement, Yankees, too bad there's only room for 4, I guess the Sox will have to stay upstairs, while you, Toronto, the D-rays and Baltimore stay down below.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                            I must admit, nice setup you got going in the AL East basement, Yankees, too bad there's only room for 4, I guess the Sox will have to stay upstairs, while you, Toronto, the D-rays and Baltimore stay down below.
                            Read my Sig
                            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler View Post
                              Read my Sig
                              Nice saying, worked for us in 2004.

Yankee fans, ever get that sinking feeling after a long day?

Comment

• A 30-minute inning in the fifth for the Mariners resulted in eight runs and a 14-8 lead and will be the story of this game when the papers come out tomorrow. The nightmare of a night finally came to an end for Bean. With two more pitches out of the zone to Jose Lopez, Joe Torre came out to the rescue and made the switch. That prompted another Bronx Cheer. Bean went back to the dugout with his tail stuck between his legs.

The Yankees have a 500-pound gorilla in the room that is getting bigger by the day.

The Yankees have some serious issues to resolve . . . :disbelief:

Last edited by KenFougere; 05-04-2007, 09:10 PM.
                                Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X