X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solair Wright
    Cardinals and MLB fan
    • Sep 2005

I wish Bronson Arroyo could teach the Yankees a lesson or two again. Oh wait, that won't be until next year (if I am correct). Now all the Yankees can do is try to get to do a .500--*gets distracted*

Oh, it's nothing, the Yankees are on national television again tonight, and they got a dose of stage fright by the Red Sox on Saturday. No Yankee lead is safe...but a Red Sox lead is safe!

Comment

• SDL
      Who the hell is Stan Papi
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
      I wish Bronson Arroyo could teach the Yankees a lesson or two again. Oh wait, that won't be until next year (if I am correct). Now all the Yankees can do is try to get to do a .500--*gets distracted*

Oh, it's nothing, the Yankees are on national television again tonight, and they got a dose of stage fright by the Red Sox on Saturday. No Yankee lead is safe...but a Red Sox lead is safe!
      Of course, the flip side is that he will also teach Theo a lesson as well
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• KenFougere
        Sr Member BB-Almanac 1998
        • Jan 2000

Mets' Minaya has outclassed Yanks' Cashman -

Sunday, June 3, 2007

By IAN O'CONNOR
        RECORD COLUMNIST

The bar and coffee-shop debates between Mets' and Yankees' fans always revolve around the same PlayStation heroes. Who would you rather have, A-Rod or Wright? Reyes or Jeter?

When's the last time you heard a fan asked if he or she would rather have Brian Cashman or Omar Minaya?

Maybe the answer is too obvious. Or maybe the question lacks the requisite sex appeal. Or maybe it's a lot to ask fans watching young and gifted ballplayers to believe that the difference between their big-league teams can be reduced to two guys eating mustard-covered pretzels behind the press box glass.

But the Mets started taking back the market on Sept. 30, 2004, when Fred Wilpon -- mired in an 0-for-57 slump -- finally roped one in granting "full autonomy" to Minaya, the former Steve Phillips' aide who got the Montreal Expos playing a brand of competitive ball on a budget that would've embarrassed a high school AD.

Let's be honest: Minaya has slapped Cashman all over New York, making the Mets a contender while the Yanks have devolved into something Wilpon used to churn out on a regular basis -- a practical joke of a team.

The Yankees are 13½ games behind the Red Sox, 11½ games behind the Mets.

...Truth is, Minaya has been making sound personnel decisions since the day he signed a raw kid named Sammy Sosa for $3,500. The Mets' payroll is roughly $80 million south of the Yankees', and yet Cashman would give Jason Giambi a three-year, $60 million extension if it meant trading divisional places with Minaya.

Until then, Minaya is content to make the midmorning drive from his Harrington Park home to Flushing in relative peace. He doesn't need a back-page headline to tell everyone that he's got Brian Cashman on a big hook, too.

Comment

• SDL
          • Sep 2006

One good thing about the '86 Series...it was a Yankee fan's nightmare.

THEM vs THEM...

Comment

• Solair Wright
            Cardinals and MLB fan
            • Sep 2005

You Yankees just got lucky tonight.

Comment

• KenFougere
              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Solair Wright View Post
              You Yankees just got lucky tonight.
              I don't think so. They just out played us.

On the up side, they're still in 4th place - 12½ behind . . .

Comment

• Mattingly
                Yankee fan & proud of it!
                • Feb 2003

Lake a Bat Outta Hell ... 2 outta 3 ain't bad, so rock on, Grasshopper!

:radio :applaud: :bowdown: :hyper:

Hmmmmmmmmm, let's see. 2 outs, 2 strikes, tied game, bottom of the 9th. I wonder if that's clutchy enough for the Beantowners out here. I'd like to see Big Poopy do that one against Mo this season. Let me know when he grabs a glove and plays great defense!
                Last edited by Mattingly; 06-04-2007, 04:48 AM.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Mattingly
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                  . . . not so much.

The "Keystone Kops" gave it away . . .
                  What Scott "Keystone Kops" Proctor giveth, Robinson Cano & the First Bank of A-Rod taketh away!

It's Mine! HA!

Originally posted by SDL View Post
                  One good thing about the '86 Series...it was a Yankee fan's nightmare.

THEM vs THEM...
                  Actually, Game 6 was the greatest Yankee Moment that didn't involve a Yankee! Mookie, if there were ever a Yankee Hall of Fame, you would be in it. Unfortunately, we keep ours in Cooperstown where it's supposed to be!

Me thinks that the 1999 WS was the Mets' nightmare of their two worst enemies. In fact, had the Cards not taken out the Braves, I'm not sure they'd have made it to 2000 either.

Now then, no team could *POSSIBLY* come back from this far up and get past Beantown, right? I mean that could *NEVER* happen, right?

Hiya, SDL!
                  Last edited by Mattingly; 06-04-2007, 04:39 AM.
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Mattingly
                    • Feb 2003

^^ Beantown fans Ken Fougere, Williamsburgh, SDL & Solair Wright dressing up as blonds. Must've had lots of fun on Sunday!
                    You think that the Sox front office and Terry Francona CARE that Manny has long dreads or that Johnny Damon looked like a caveman? Hell no!

To me, the Yankees are like the pre-1999 Reds..and I know a lot of players who REFUSED to play for Cincy because of that rule. In fact, quite a few grew beards AFTER getting the hell outta Cincy. Quite a few grew beards after escaping The Bronx Zoo as well...
                    Who are the players who grew beards after having left both teams?

BTW, it's either between Don Mattingly (who famously grew a mustache and had semi-long hair) and Girardi. I'd say that Donnie's the fave, since he's such a big star amongst Yankee fans. Pena could get consideration for his work in KC, but like Bowa, I seriously doubt this.

Oh, and how's the dice rollin' fer you folks?

Yup, we wuz bruised and abused, as advertised.

Last edited by Mattingly; 06-04-2007, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• KenFougere
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Mattingly

More Beantown excuses to erase the memory of Papelbon yielding the GWH to the man whom his "Nation" fans had come to spoof and wear wigs for. Oh, the horror that must've been on their faces as that ball rose and went deep into the RF seats!
                      It probably compared to the horror that must've been on your faces, (only a lot more often), when Mariano blew save after save in recent years at the hands of your teams' most 'Bitter Rival' . . .

Comment

• bakes781
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mattingly
                        He's already said that if the fans appreciate him, he may stay. I seriously doubt that he'd have any takers for a 5-year deal. How can he possibly make even more than he's already making?
                        NY fans & appreciate don't belong in the same paragragh let alone sentence! :P
                        Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
                        “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

• Solair Wright
                          Cardinals and MLB fan
                          • Sep 2005

Seems like the Yankees had a little trouble in the Sox game last night, when their starter never got past the second inning because of control problems. A-Rod may be great in the regular season, but let's look at him in the playoffs...

Does he have a...
                          * World Series ring? Nope.
                          * AL Champions ring? Nope.
                          * hard time playing in the playoffs? Yep.

And there we have it. A-Rod can never deliever in the playoffs, so he might as well work at Pizza Hut or Domino's if he wants to deliever.

Comment

• SDL
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post

^^ Beantown fans Ken Fougere, Williamsburgh, SDL & Solair Wright dressing up as blonds. Must've had lots of fun on Sunday!

Who are the players who grew beards after having left both teams?

BTW, it's either between Don Mattingly (who famously grew a mustache and had semi-long hair) and Girardi. I'd say that Donnie's the fave, since he's such a big star amongst Yankee fans. Pena could get consideration for his work in KC, but like Bowa, I seriously doubt this.
                            Sorry, I got long (uncut since late '85) brown/gray hair and a gray beard...so it ain't me in the pic.

Let's see...Boomer Wells grew back his goatee after gettin' out of the Bronx..Oscar Gamble grew back his afro. Reardon gren his beard back after retiring from the Yankees.

When Pat Zachry was traded to the Mets by the Reds in the Seaver deal, he said he was growing a full beard to celebrate. Joel Youngblood did the same when he left the Reds. Ross Grimsley grew a thick mustache and let his hair flow when he escaped to Baltimore and then to the Expos. Will McEnaney did the same when he got paroled to the Expos. Rolie Fingers retired rather than shave off his mustache to play for the Reds.

Girardi won't ever get another chance to manage again. Would you hire a guy who beats the crap out of his players, is a anal-retentive control freak and tells his boss to shut up? From what I've heard, his players didn't exactly rush to his defense after the Marlins canned him.

Supposedly Donnie Baseball gets the gig after Torre is gone..but to be honest, he should get some minor league managing experience first. Bucky Bleeping Dent had to...
                            Last edited by SDL; 06-06-2007, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• SDL
                              • Sep 2006

Well, to paraphrase Yogi Berra, it ain't over until my ex-fiancee sings..and since she's back in the Boston area, I can't hear her.

Sorry to pee on your parade but I doubt a repeat of '78 is going to happen...Terry Francona is no Don "The Gerbil" Zimmer...thank goodness...

Comment

• Mattingly
                                • Feb 2003

Sorry, I got long (uncut since late '85) brown/gray hair and a gray beard...so it ain't me in the pic.

Let's see...Boomer Wells grew back his goatee after gettin' out of the Bronx..Oscar Gamble grew back his afro. Reardon gren his beard back after retiring from the Yankees.

When Pat Zachry was traded to the Mets by the Reds in the Seaver deal, he said he was growing a full beard to celebrate. Joel Youngblood did the same when he left the Reds. Ross Grimsley grew a thick mustache and let his hair flow when he escaped to Baltimore and then to the Expos. Will McEnaney did the same when he got paroled to the Expos. Rolie Fingers retired rather than shave off his mustache to play for the Reds.

Girardi won't ever get another chance to manage again. Would you hire a guy who beats the crap out of his players, is a anal-retentive control freak and tells his boss to shut up? From what I've heard, his players didn't exactly rush to his defense after the Marlins canned him.

Supposedly Donnie Baseball gets the gig after Torre is gone..but to be honest, he should get some minor league managing experience first. Bucky Bleeping Dent had to...
                                Boomer? Man, that guy's no good to me. Very good pitcher, but when your only redeeming quality is the ball that comes out of your left hand, I'd say that speaks for itself. Between his "Not Perfect" book and getting clocked by some small guy at an all-night diner, I can do w/o him. Honest, but if diplomacy means leaving certain things unsaid, I'd say he needs some.

Oscar Gamble's interesting. He shows up at every single Old Timer's Day and they always show his huge 'fro out there (wearing Yankee gear, of course). He must be the biggest-haired exception to George's rule.

Lou Piniella had a funny story the old timer fans repeat. Lou asked George Moses became a Yankee, would he have to cut his hair? George quipped (to paraphrase), "See that pool? Walk across that water and you don't have to cut your hair". Lou cut his hair the next day. Man, I can't get enough of that joke!

Who set the no-facial hair rules in the Reds camp? The late Marge Schott?

For Girardi, I guess he's being kept around because he'd preceded Posada and mentored him. I'm unsure if he'll ever even become a coach. Of the ex-Yankee coaches, Girardi, Mazilli and Randolph have managed, but only Randolph was appreciated by the fans, players and FO. Willie never managed in the minors either. In fact, neither did Yogi.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X