This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have a cookie?

I'm here in Cincinnati stuck watching the worse baseball in the majors (could include AAA).
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• With the Yankees in second place, I realize now what you Beantowners had to go through all those years. Always being second or worse...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
        Nahhhhhhhhh, 26-6 is the real score.
        Typical. I thought that dead horse would be dragged out again.

Matt! This is the Boston police! Just put the stick down and step away from the horse and nobody has to get hurt.

Some people just won't listen, but proud to serve!

Comment

Hey, 2 outta 3 ain't bad!

Six outta nine is better . . .
          Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarfn5 View Post
            Can I have a cookie?

I'm here in Cincinnati stuck watching the worse baseball in the majors (could include AAA).
            In that case, just how bad is Cincy baseball right now? What goes wrong that shoulda gone right?
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirt Dog View Post
              Typical. I thought that dead horse would be dragged out again.

Matt! This is the Boston police! Just put the stick down and step away from the horse and nobody has to get hurt.
              So it's my fault that the truth hurts?

When Yankee fans talk about the WS rings, Beantowners try shouting it down. When Yanks look like they won't make the playoffs, Beantowners can't stop talking about it. Why is that?

Yankee fans are asked to stop talking about the WS rings and how Jeter has 4. Yet, when someone talks about Donnie Baseball, who's got zero, fans of other teams said he wasn't good enough to win the WS.

Seems weird to me. Someone out there needs to add intelligence to it so that it can be comprehended. Until then, y'all need to decide (hopefully with one voice) whether a team is better after having won a ring or not. Hopefully, the same rules apply for the Yanks as for everyone else, tho I doubt it. Until then:

Last edited by Mattingly; 05-25-2007, 01:39 AM.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

In that case, just how bad is Cincy baseball right now? What goes wrong that shoulda gone right?
                Cincinnati is the worst team in the majors with a 18-30 record.

25. Pittsburgh (19-27)
                25. Tampa Bay (19-27)
                27. Kansas City (19-29)
                27. Washington (19-29)
                29. Texas (18-29)
                30. Cincinnati (18-30)

Well, it seems that one of four key aspects to winning (offense, defense, relief pitching, and starting pitching) falls apart. And the Reds play just bad enough to lose.

What amazes me is the 2006 to 2007 comparision.
                Runs per Game '06: 4.63, '07: 4.60
                ERA '06: 4.53, '07: 4.48.
                W% '06: .494, '07: .375

Read This
                Last edited by redlegsfan21; 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM.
                Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• Cinci is doing horrible this year, but hopefully they can pull things together and come back next year with a better team. (I'm trying to find a silver lining to this dark cloud.)
                  Save some money- magazine subscriptions

Comment

• I wear this shirt from time to time. The facts don't lie.

Comment

. . . When Yanks look like they won't make the playoffs, Beantowners can't stop talking about it. Why is that?
                      Why is that?
                      Problably the same reason you guys reveled last year when our pitching staff feel apart and we went from 1st place at the end of July to 3rd at seasons end.
                      Ring a bell?
                      Last edited by KenFougere; 05-25-2007, 02:52 PM.
                      Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                        Why is that?
                        Problably the same reason you guys reveled last year when our pitching staff feel apart and we went from 1st place at the end of July to 3rd at seasons end.
                        Ring a bell?
                        With the exception being that you guys & gals aren't criticized for talking about rings. Of course, ever since 2004, I've seen some of you folks acting like Yankee fans in celebrating that *ONE* WS win in ... many more than 6 years (80 more years, in fact).

Just remember, ex-Yankee farmhand Yogi Berra, who's gotten 10 rings in 14 tries (the most of any single player) gets the 2nd biggest applause on Old Timers Day. The largest is held for his fellow ex-Yankee farmhand, Don Mattingly, who's ringless even as a Yankee coach, but gets the recognition because many of the fans saw and appreciated his efforts in the Bronx.

Regardless, I think that if you folks don't want us talking about the rings, then y'all should stop talking about how long we haven't won any. In fact, if we did win a few since 2001, we'd be talking about rings even moreso than we do now!

Last edited by Mattingly; 05-25-2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• I thought this thread was suppose to be fun.

I don't mind or even care if you Matt or any other Yankee fans talk about rings and championships and every checkers game the Yankees have ever won. I mean no other professional franchise in the history of all of the sports in the universe has won more. No one can top it. We get it.

It's just that it seems that a lot of times when the Yankees struggle and they're not winning, instead of facing reality and accepting it, some fans play the 26 trump card all too often, like "Yea, we might be struggling, but you can't beat this card can you? HaHaHaHaHaHa and thinking "I feel better now".

I was at a LSU baseball game last month, taking my 2 oldest boys to see their first Tiger baseball game. We had the college program of the 90s. It has really gone down hill. Average at best. There was a group of loud mouth Ole Miss fans near by, and some LSU fan was telling them to shutup (which was not a bad idea) ut then throwing the "We've won 5 National Champions in the 90s" stuff at them every time they had a comeback. Even as diehard Tiger alum and fan, I was thinking that was lame. Beating them over the head with a history book. Don't ignore history, but cherish and savor it, but live in the present. Tigers won by the way 4-3 on a bases-loaded walk-off walk. I've never seen that in person. Very rare.

It's going to hurt more to some when the Sox win another WS championship before the Yankees do. Well maybe not, then the score would be 26-7 and we still suck, right? h

Comment

• I've got my response, and here it is: let's see who won in 2004, and here they are:

2000 was a while back, 2004 is more closer to the present. Boast about 26 WS rings, again and again, eh?

By the way...

The Yankees are having some Angel problems, and they're losing 3-0 today to the Angels and got blown out last night. A-Rod can save the team all he wants, but GM Cashman's job is on the line unfortunately. But be careful! I sense an eruption nearby!

Comment

With the exception being that you guys & gals aren't criticized for talking about rings.
                              I wish I could talk about rings.
                              I usually try to talk about the current season's events.
                              Remember, I always brought that up when 'Bitter Rivals' was in the 'current events' forum.

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                              Of course, ever since 2004, I've seen some of you folks acting like Yankee fans in celebrating that *ONE* WS win in ... many more than 6 years (80 more years, in fact).
                              You got to understand that one in 86 years, to the majority of us, is literally a 'once in a lifetime' experience.
                              To you, it's 'business as usual'.
                              Ken Fougère

Comment

• Magic Number:99

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X