X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Fougère

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
      "F you"? That's not what I'm thinking, is it?

Dude, the only reason Beantown was "holding" this number was that they'd wanted him to retire as a Beantowner, so that they could then retire his number. I presume that Boggs, who'd retired as a milk-toothed D-Ray, had his number (#12?) retired.
      No..the traitor wore #26..which WOULD have been retired had he not became baseball's version of Benedict Arnold after the '92 season.

Here's who's worn #26 since Boggs.

Wes Chamberlain 1994
      Alejandro Pena 1995
      Lee Tinsley 1995
      Aaron Sele 1996-97
      Orlando Merced 1998
      Chris Snopek 1998
      Rob Stanifer 2000
      Sean Berry 2000
      Lou Merloni 1999, 2000-02
      Freddy Sanchez 2003
      Ramiro Mendoza 2003-04

The Rays did retire his #12
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• LOU MERLONI!

Now there's a name I miss hearing.

Comment

• Loooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu!

I wonder what he's up to these days.
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
            "F you"? That's not what I'm thinking, is it?

Dude, the only reason Beantown was "holding" this number was that they'd wanted him to retire as a Beantowner, so that they could then retire his number. I presume that Boggs, who'd retired as a milk-toothed D-Ray, had his number (#12?) retired.

Right now, you guys & gals (even that pipsqueak CB) are already set with Schill, Mats, Beckett (of the more than 31 flavors of ice cream/HRs variety), Wake & Tavarez. Us, we've got Wang, Pettitte, Moose, Rasner, DeSalvo (if he can repeat his performance from tonight) and that's it. Pavano may not even return for this season, and Hughes' return will be released later on. Igawa's down in the farm getting his mechanics straightened up.

Who else are we gonna get? We'd have to hock the farm at these trading places in order to get a quality young pitcher. Everybody and their family knows that the Yanks are in need of pitching. Clemens is quite familiar with NY, the AL East. I just hope that he can do as well back here again as in the non-DH league. If anything, we could use him as a pinch-hitter, as he's hit better than Man-CAVE-Itch in the past.
            nah, we don't retire every player that has ever played with us like some teams

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
              Does the team that you mention begin with "Y," end with "s," and in between "ankee"?

The Red Sox wins yet again with a strong outing by Dice-K, and it's easy pickings with Toronto.

Comment

• BTW...anybody on the Yankee staff off to a 7-0 start? Didn't think so...

Comment

• Originally posted by SDL View Post
                  BTW...anybody on the Yankee staff off to a 7-0 start? Didn't think so...
                  Anyone on Beantown have 15 jacks and 39 ribeyes?

Big Poopi: .311/.425/.623, 9 jacks, 28 ribs
                  Manny being Manny: .242/.331/.417, 6 jacks, 9 ribs

Alexander the Great: .352/.428/.784, 15 jacks, 39 hickory-smoked ribs

Now then, pipsqueak (from the Peanut Gallery), come back when you can do it more than once in a century.
                  Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                  Yeah, I'm sure that if Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Dickey, Berra and a few others had been Sawx players, their numbers wouldn't have been retired.

Hey, not all the greats were fortunate enough to be Yankees, but many of them were.
                  Last edited by Mattingly; 05-10-2007, 12:59 AM.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Yeah, I'm sure that if Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Dickey, Berra and a few others had been Sawx players, their numbers wouldn't have been retired.

Hey, not all the greats were fortunate enough to be Yankees, but many of them were.
                    Criteria to have numbers retired in Fenway:

Must be in HOF

Must have played at least 10 years for Sox and ended career in Fenway. I admit, rule was bent for Fisk, he was a assistant to Dan Duquette at the time of his election; that's why #27 was retired.

Boggs blew it by going to The Dark Side. If he had gone to the Rays for the last two years, no problem. That would have been our way of "rewarding" Boggs by letting him finish his career in his hometown and there's a good chance his #26 would be hanging in RF. Heck, his #12 is on the RF wall at The Trop.

Same with Clemens. Like I said above, give #21 to Beckett in a special ceremony when the Yankees are in town. Let Clemens' ego take a hit.

And you can bet if Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Dickey and Berra played for the Sox, their numbers would be hanging up.

Don't worry, Mattingly. Rest assured a former Yankee's number IS retired in Fenway. Norm Siebern's #4 (actually retired for Joe Cronin).
                    Last edited by SDL; 05-10-2007, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• So far, all the retired Yankees' numbers that I can think of:

#3, Ruth, "Babe" (HoF)
                      #4, Gehrig, Lou (HoF)
                      #5, DiMaggio, Joe (HoF)
                      #7, Mantle, Mickey (HoF)
                      #8, Berra, "Yogi" (HoF)
                      #8, Dickey, Bill (HoF)
                      #15, Munson, Thurman (unfortunate passing)
                      #23, Mattingly, Don (extremely popular)
                      #32, Howard, Elston (first black Yankee from the farm)
                      #44, Jackson, Reggie (HoF, and I think went in as a Yankee)
                      #49, Guidry, Ron (very popular, though not as much as Donnie)

Numbers from non-HoF caliber players that aren't retired which I don't expect to see given away anytime soon:

#21, O'Neill, Paul
                      #51, Williams, Bernie

Number which will never be worn again, for obvious reasons:

#42, Rivera, Mo

Future HoF inductees:

#42, Rivera
                      #2, Jeter
                      #13, Rodriguez

Even when he was here, Rocket still couldn't wear #21 (he wore Boggs' #12, then changed to #22, which he also wore in Houston). No way in the world was he getting the number of the beloved Paulie O'Neill, just as Unit wasn't getting Bernie's #51 (he wore #41).

Last edited by Mattingly; 05-10-2007, 01:40 AM.
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Retired Sox numbers:

#1 Bobby Doerr
                        #4 Joe Cronin
                        #8 Carl Yastrzemski
                        #9 Ted Williams
                        #27 Carlton Fisk

Unofficially retired:

#6 Johnny Pesky (I'd like to see them OFFICIALLY retire it for both Pesky and Rico Petrocelli)
                        #14 Jim Rice (will be retired if and when he gets into Cooperstown)

SHOULD be retired as a matter of respect:

#7 Dom DiMaggio
                        #25 Tony Conigliaro

Comment

• List of all Yankee player numbers and the player names:

http://ultimateyankees.com/yankeeplayernumbers.htm

BTW, Tommy Henrich is the only teammate of Lou Gehrig that's still amongst us. He was born in 1913, played from 1937-50 all for the Yanks. He'd also worn #22, as did Allie Reynolds, whom some Yankee fans felt would that #22 should be retired for.

Joe Torre wears #6, which Tony "Poosh 'Em Up" Lazzeri (HoF 2B from the '27 team) wore, but it's still not retired. Goes to show that just because you're in Cooperstown doesn't mean your number gets retired, and just because your number gets retired doesn't mean you're in Cooperstown.

Comment

• I heard Mattingly ran out on the field last night to give Matsui a hug. Matsui didn't seem to be in the mood. Is this true?

Comment

• Originally posted by Padday View Post
                              If you're not careful you might get yelled at for trampling all over his nice infield grass.
                              Is it just me, or did Dave Letterman steal this line?

Comment

• Originally posted by KenFougere View Post
                                Matt
                                . . . You realize however, he'll only be able to get you to the 5th or 6th inning. Which again brings you to your bullpen for 6 to 9 outs just to get to Mariano. Speaking of which, doesn't seem to be 'Mr. Automatic' this year.
                                To me, your bullpen is just as a problem, if not more, than your starting rotation . . . Don't you think?
                                Pitching woes continue . . .

Ken Fougère

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X